• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

kehs

Banned
bubnbob said:

Hierarchy tree:

Google Account
-Google+
-Gmail
-Contacts
-Calendar

You can delete your Google+ independetly of your Google Profile.

However, if you delete your Google Account, everything underneath it will be deleted.

----

I'm not understanding the hesitance to use gchat for private messages?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Copernicus said:
Chat messages get saved into gmail if the conversation if on the record. You can also send them even if the person if offline.

You can also send them an email from their profile page.

While true, it just doesn't feel intuitive. I go to my buddies page, want to give him a private message - at least give me the ability to input a private message into his stream. I can do it from my page if I choose him as the sole recipient, but I'd like to do the same when I am actually on his page.

SimleuqiR

giga said:

pseudo+sheep.jpg

Hey guys! What's up?

Enco

Private messages would be nice. As would dedicated groups like Facebook has. That way the group members can see who else is part of the group and messages easily exchanged.

Beta invites being sold in ebay :lol I have high hopes for this. Any service that has invites sold on ebay is gonna be big.

edgefusion

At this point people are too used to private messages or sharing to a specific persons profile page. Asking them to send an email is going to feel like a step back.

In response to the poster below: If I want to make sure a friend gets a message I'll either send them a text or post on their Facebook wall. None of my friends regularly check email but they all check Facebook like crack addicts.

I never really understand how people decide in which way they want to send someone a personal message. Everyone has tons of online profiles/emails. If I want to say something or show something to an individual friend I usually use email. Why would I go on facebook, go through the trouble of posting it on their wall or go on facebook and send a private message which is basically the same as an email? Google just needs to make a good integration of gmail/gchat into Google+. I wouldn't want personal messages showing up on the main stream.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
You guys are making all these threads just to taunt me aren't you. Enjoy your Google social network you smug bastards.

Copernicus said:
Create a circle with family, a circle with friends, and a circle with family & friends. That way your doll collection stream doesn't interfere with the other three

If you think of circles are labels instead of lists or folders, it's alot better to conceptualize.
I understand people can belong to multiple circles. I just want certain circles to appear on my stream and not others.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tycoonheart said:
Exactly.

Or how hard is it to do this?

idJmla.png

yeah, that will stop it as well, because I definitely won't ever right click the photo and select 'upload to imgur' and then share that....

however, google should just put that option in their privacy settings as well, allow people to turn it off = problem solved.

It's also obvious that these companies don't want to much privacy, having everyone spamming the net with their shit helps the hell out of their business.

EDIT: Also posted this in the Google+ gaffers circle but

you know what's weird? youtube integration, or lack of it. I can attach a youtube vid here, but it seems like when I select 'my youtube vids' to share there is one page, some are missing and there is no next page. Also if you go to your profile and click on 'videos' you can only upload, not link youtube. That's weird. What if I want people to see my profile and my videos on youtube? If they fixed that then that would be a massive leg up on facebook.

RbBrdMan said:
You guys are making all these threads just to taunt me aren't you. Enjoy your Google social network you smug bastards.
I want to invite you :( But our Lord and Saviour does not wish it to be so.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
RbBrdMan said:
I'm not really sure what the problem is, unless it's stopped since this afternoon, if somebody ads your mail to a circle and shares it with you, you can just sign up from the link you get.

Truth101

Banned
catfish said:
I'm not really sure what the problem is, unless it's stopped since this afternoon, if somebody ads your mail to a circle and shares it with you, you can just sign up from the link you get.

Google already fixed that loophole =[

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
foodtaster said:
the fact that GAF people are asking how to do things means this will definitely never catch on
GAF doesn't know how to do things if they're different. See the chumps who still want to drag and drop music onto their iPods.

Acullis said:
Anyone figure out how to remove a photo? :/
Click on the photo, go to Actions > Delete Photo

Speaking of photos, the Photo Details pane is really messy, lol. You can tell they haven't really spent much time on it. Actually the whole photo view is kinda ugly.

Enco

Managed to get a good friend of mine on board.

Just need the invitations to open now. Then it will all work out and Facebook shall fall (doubt it).

Venfayth

Treefingers said:
Click on the photo, go to Actions > Delete Photo

Speaking of photos, the Photo Details pane is really messy, lol. You can tell they haven't really spent much time on it. Actually the whole photo view is kinda ugly.

Bah. I completely dismissed those little buttons as just being related to "tagging".

I don't like those theater-type photo viewing features a lot of websites tend to have. Just embed them on the page directly, or at least make the theater mode a toggle-able option.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm starting to wonder on what kind of circle did my friends put me.... I don't like this feeling. Its almost like Myspace Top 8. Screw this.

Mik2121

Marius_ said:
I'm starting to wonder on what kind of circle did my friends put me.... I don't like this feeling. Its almost like Myspace Top 8. Screw this.
Why don't you ask them? If they are your friends, they surely added you to their Friends circle :p

Purkake4

Banned
Maybe we can rent GAF out as the G+ tech support? We could finally get that primetime TV ad with Evilore's dulcet tones...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
need to give google props for the google takeout thing.

https://www.google.com/takeout/?pli=1

If at anytime you don't like them, you can pack up and fuck right off. Nice.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Doesn't seem to be a quick way to save photos straight from "Pictures from my phone" to your PC. Weak.

I don't know what to think of the interface so far. It looks good, but I don't feel its intuitive. Maybe my unfamiliarity. There's just nothing making Google+ out. It's a good thing this is a somewhat closed beta. A lot more work needs to be done.

Big Missing Features

Private Messaging - Seamless Gmail integration
Calendar - No event planning or invitations
Groups - No grouping around interests or organizations

Bboy AJ

marathonfool said:
Big Missing Features

Private Messaging - Seamless Gmail integration
Go to their profile. Left side "send an email"

Venfayth

The big thing I think you've hit is the groups part. Circles don't seem to be capable of doing anything remotely resembling what groups can do on Facebook for things like student groups/associations, companies, teams, etc..

Also something else I did notice is that I was messing with the photo editing, and I accidentally saved my profile picture after giving it some HORRIBLE color settings. I thought I was screwed and have to reupload it. Even though I'd completely closed the Google+ page, I was able to go back in to editing the photo and click on undo, and it undid all of the nastiness I had done to my photo. Props Google.

Venfayth

Bboy AJ said:
Doesn't seem to be a quick way to save photos straight from "Pictures from my phone" to your PC. Weak.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but if you right click on the image while you're on the page where you can tag people, you can get the direct url to it.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

Saving to local media? 1998 called, they want their serial cables back.

Bboy AJ

Copernicus said:
Saving to local media? 1998 called, they want their serial cables back.
How else would I put all my Android photos onto the superior iCloud?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are they still over capacity? Can't register my invite yet.

malyce

sparks is cool, though i think they should expand on it, maybe allow you to connect to people in your extended network who share the same interests? would be really cool to have a Gaf F1 circle and get a live chat going during a race.

Tiktaalik

Adding people to circles seems pretty awful unless I'm missing some option. Google is grabbing everyone from my gmail account, even random business related email addresses and temporary craigslist emails. What a pain.

celebi23

Was invited about 12 hours ago and I'm still getting the "Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon." message. I wonder what the hold up is.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Google Chat pane is now finally expandable in G+, nice. What's rather odd/cool about it is that you can pull it all the way up to the G+ toolbar and it will attach, but then the title bar of the chat window disappears where the close window button is, so now you can't close it. So it seems like a bug until you scroll the main window and then the chat panel instantly detaches from the G+ toolbar at the top and then you have your chat title bar back along with the close button. A little unorthodox and bound to confuse anyone else who discovers it on their own at first, but it does seem to be by design.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Got two invites (thanks GAF!), but I can't activate them cause G+ has exceeded their capacity.

:-(

Bboy AJ

Tiktaalik said:
Adding people to circles seems pretty awful unless I'm missing some option. Google is grabbing everyone from my gmail account, even random business related email addresses and temporary craigslist emails. What a pain.
No, it isn't. They pop up since you communicated with them previously but it isn't adding them to your G+.

Enco

Tiktaalik said:
Yea that sucks too.

So far I have:

1. Incorporate reader with Sparks
2. Incorporate calendar for events
3. Private messaging (new interface simpler than gmail?)
4. Don't find old contacts emailed once and recommend them
5. The ability to share spark feeds and possibly a way to comment on the side

Tiktaalik

Sparks is unfortunately about 1000x more stupid than I hoped. Putting in my (fairly generic) neighbourhood name doesn't for example grab local news about my neighbourhood but rather seems to just do a vague google search on that string.

I think there's a huge potential for the idea of Google fetching you news about an interest, but it's got to be very, very smart for it to be effective.

It would be good if you could feed it a seed website to give it an idea of what you want. For example if you put in "menswear" into sparks you'll get super vague fashion news. It would be better if you could put in a narrowly focused blog about say classic american heritage brands, or japanese street style and have the spark tuned toward what exactly you're interested in.

Tiktaalik said:

So don't add those people?

You don't know who your friends are?

Google also "finds" those people when you start typing letters into your gmail "To" box.. and if you notice someone being "found" who you never plan on e-mailing again, or don't want to accidentally contact.. you can remove them.

Top Bottom