• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Enco

I see:

Join Google+
Simply sign in with your Google account to start using the new parts of Google.
Sign In

That's when I'm not signed in with my google account. My invites seem to be working though (I think).

Right G+ thread this time.

Hahaha. A female friend did a public post of just some random thing and got this comment:

Sultanbeyli - - i want hangout too :) open a new hangout so we can try

Elizabeth - Did not realise this post was public. Ballz.

Sultanbeyli - - hangout?

Elizabeth - no.

Sultanbeyli - - you shy :)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Copernicus said:
*shrugs*

This is getting too circular for me.

It's like clicking all mail and wanting it to not show you all mail.

It would be more like clicking all mail, and adding the filter "Show all mail except the mail from this person".

Which is a wonderful feature in gmail, the search has a wonderful built in filter. If I could do the same with this, it would be great.

I would also love nested circles.

Lets say I have a circle called Family - this has 15 relatives, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Now Lets say I have another circle that has my immediate family - brothers, sisters, and parents - I want these two circles to be related, but sometimes I want them to be separate. The intuitive idea would be to have immediate family nested inside family - so whatever I share with my family immediately includes immediate family, but what I share with my immediate family does NOT include extended family.

thespot84

google+ does not play nice with google music :-( scrolling up and down in my feed (which has 1 animated gif in it) makes my computer bleed and scream horrible things at me

EDIT: ok maybe just the first time it had to load all the content, seems ok now...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
thespot84 said:
google+ does not play nice with google music :-( scrolling up and down in my feed (which has 1 animated gif in it) makes my computer bleed and scream horrible things at me

EDIT: ok maybe just the first time it had to load all the content, seems ok now...
Hope at least some folks are using the great feedback feature at the bottom of every page for stuff like this.

thespot84

yahoo for animated gifs! since i don't have many connections right now I get to stare at the same gif cycle over...and over...and over..somebody post something!

AstroLad said:
Hope at least some folks are using the great feedback feature at the bottom of every page for stuff like this.
Oh wow the feedback feature is awesome. I sort of want to see some bugs now just so I can use it.

Copernicus said:
*shrugs*

This is getting too circular for me.

It's like clicking all mail and wanting it to not show you all mail.
I want an inbox with the ability to specify incoming mail shuffled into appropriate labels. Which is what I have right now.

All of my newsletters/promotional emails never see the inbox. I have to go to the label to view them. This leaves me with important/personal email in my inbox.

Baconbitz

Banned
Kinitari said:
I can't argue with that, if you feel that way it is a legitimate complaint - I don't, but it doesn't mean no one else can. But help me try to understand, cause I am curious, what exactly feels fragmented to you?
I think its the fact that it's in beta. Maybe things need to be tightened up a little bit. It also feels like there is too much going on but then again that is probably the fact that its in beta.

marathonfool said:
I want an inbox with the ability to specify incoming mail shuffled into appropriate labels. Which is what I have right now.

All of my newsletters/promotional emails never see the inbox. I have to go to the label to view them. This leaves me with important/personal email in my inbox.

So you can't mark a circle as not showing up in your stream?

I imagine this is going to be common feedback, and google will add more options for filtering what get's pushed to your stream.

Purkake4

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Right G+ thread this time.

Hahaha. A female friend did a public post of just some random thing and got this comment:

Sultanbeyli - - i want hangout too :) open a new hangout so we can try

Elizabeth - Did not realise this post was public. Ballz.

Sultanbeyli - - hangout?

Elizabeth - no.

Sultanbeyli - - you shy :)
That right there is going to clear out this service quicker than pretty much anything else. Ouch.

Vinci

Danish
Frankly, I hate the voyeur mentality of Facebook. I don't want to be Friends with that many people, and I don't want to know every damn little thought in their heads. If G+ is able to provide a Friends Network in which I'm able to very carefully control what appears on my Stream and to whom, and does that easily, that's a definite win for me.

andycapps

Hey guys, I'm shocked that 2 days into a very limited private beta that this isn't feature complete! Especially as much as something that's been out for years! Shocked, I am.

huh. My profile pic isn't showing up next to my stream posts, but when I highlighted it to send feedback, and previewed my submission it was there. I went back to the homepage and now it isn't.

man of science

Neo Member
So it just clicked in my brain that google+ can basically replace both Twitter *and* FaceBook.

With the same account you can post publicly and even follow other people that post publicly without them having to follow you *and* you can have your private little groups where you can share more personal things. All of this a click away from google.com / gmail.com.

It's so exciting that I'm debating going back to android. (Quick derail: is there a way to make android work with itunes? Or should I just suck it up and buy an iPod touch?)

I really hope this catches on.

Enco

An iPhone app should be coming soon.

I never realised how few of my friends use gmail. Sucks getting them to convert.

goober

Hey everything is really blank on my page. How do I liven things up?

Also, am I supposed to see posts from the person who invited me?

Vinci

Danish
Enco said:
An iPhone app should be coming soon.

I never realised how few of my friends use gmail. Sucks getting them to convert.

I'm still surprised whenever I get an email from a friend or family member, and it's something other than Gmail.

Venfayth

goober said:

Potentially. If they choose to include you in the circles they post things to, then yes.

kehs

Banned
goober said:

Only if you added them to a circle+public post, or they added you to a circle+circle post.

Garryk

Hmmm,

Things I like:
-It's not Facebook
-Circles (great idea, but a lot of people will be confused by them at first and end up posting stuff not intended for public eyes)
-The Circle animations

Things I don't like:
-If my friends share something I posted/shared, it shows up in my Stream again.
-G-Mail is not a tab in G+ like Photos, Profile, etc.
-If I have G+ open in one tab and Google in another, my notifications only get cleared in the tab in which I click on them.
-My chats received keep randomly going to my G-Mail tab so I will be waiting for a response and not realize it went to my G-Mail chat.

thespot84

andycapps said:
Hey guys, I'm shocked that 2 days into a very limited private beta that this isn't feature complete! Especially as much as something that's been out for years! Shocked, I am.

being feature complete and incorporating an EXISTING service, which by the way would require far less engineering than, i dunno, say fucking mobile group video chat, isn't really an honest comparison. yes I'm sure they'll add it eventually. God forbid I express an opinion, oh wait, yeah, this is GAF

that is, of course, if you were talking to me...

JCX

man of science said:
So it just clicked in my brain that google+ can basically replace both Twitter *and* FaceBook.

With the same account you can post publicly and even follow other people that post publicly without them having to follow you *and* you can have your private little groups where you can share more personal things. All of this a click away from google.com / gmail.com.

It's so exciting that I'm debating going back to android. (Quick derail: is there a way to make android work with itunes? Or should I just suck it up and buy an iPod touch?)

I really hope this catches on.
That's just what I realized when I used it this morning. Google is sly.

Garryk said:
Things I don't like:
-If my friends share something I posted/shared, it shows up in my Stream again.
-G-Mail is not a tab in G+ like Photos, Profile, etc.
-If I have G+ open in one tab and Google in another, my notifications only get cleared in the tab in which I click on them.
-My chats received keep randomly going to my G-Mail tab so I will be waiting for a response and not realize it went to my G-Mail chat.

be sure to leave feedback on all this . bottom right corner of the G+ page.

remz

AvidNobody said:
huh. My profile pic isn't showing up next to my stream posts, but when I highlighted it to send feedback, and previewed my submission it was there. I went back to the homepage and now it isn't.
Had the same thing happen, pretty sure it's browser cache related.

aza

Is there list of GAF+ members floating around anywhere? Currently have no activity on my wall and would like to start joining up in some circles.

thespot84

GhostRidah said:
Gaf circle?

circles are entire of your own making, they don't exist in the cloud for everyone. It's just a way to organize your contacts. For instance, I have my own neogaf circle (along with friends family, work, etc), but i have to manually add people to it, and it exists only in my account. Hope i'm answering your question...

Korey

So Huddle is only for the Android app? (and future mobile apps)

Will it have a web component?

Is it persistent or session based?

thespot84 said:
circles are entire of your own making, they don't exist in the cloud for everyone. It's just a way to organize your contacts. For instance, I have my own neogaf circle (along with friends family, work, etc), but i have to manually add people to it, and it exists only in my account. Hope i'm answering your question...
I get it thanks, wish it worked differently.

Road

This is not the right thread, but since people are commenting on Google's overall interface change, I hate that Search is now left-aligned again.

Korey

GhostRidah said:
I get it thanks, wish it worked differently.
Twitter has lists, I'll be surprised if they don't copy that feature.

Also a nice thing to have would be exclusion privacy options instead of just include.

Sh1ner

Copernicus said:
I wish gmail would bring back folders.
just use labels, they are the same as folders except u can have an email in multiple labels. Or you can have a label but sit in your inbox.

I currently have labels within labels - google labs extra.

Yea my shit has to be organised.

Top Bottom