• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an Interview tomorrow for a Network Admin Job, help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ok so ive got the interview tomorrow for what could be a perfect (considering my limited skills) summer job, it'd see me emplyed for 3 months which would take me right to the start of my final year (Comp Sci) and give me some expendable income for the first time in about 4 years.

Job description was pretty vague, i'll post it...

This is a 3 month assignment woking for a large organisation. Varied role to start ASAP.

You must have knowledge of CISCO, CCNA and Fire Wall experience. Previous networking experience ESSENTIAL. You will need your own transport due to location.

I was hooked mainly because 3 months from July is the perfect assignment length for me and i did pass my CCNA (though i think its expired now). So anyway i re-wrote my CV following some advice i read here and other places to emphasise skills rather than experience (as i have very little of the latter) and within 1/2 an hour i got 2 calls, first fromt he recruitment company asking to see me to explain about the job, then from their contact at the NHS (turns out thats the 'Large Organisation') asking to speak to me himself...im taking that as a sign that they were impressed...now onto the problems..

Firstly i need some interview tips as i generally suck, i always panic and say totally the wrong thing, specifically at the "Do you have any questions?" stage, so what are some good questions to ask? Is asking about pay a no-no before being offered the job? etc etc, you get the idea, im hopeless :(

Secondly, like i say i did pass my CCNA, but it was 2 years ago and what i remember of it doesnt really coincide with anything i can realistically do (ie, if they ask me to hook up a crossover cable to their cisco router and change some routing tables, ill just break down and cry), my actual (paid) networking jobs have consisted of nothing more than making cables, installing patch panels and setting up new PCs. Though privatly i've created and maintained quite a few networks, so i do have experience with Firewalls, port forwarding etc, but not in a corporate setting. So is there anyone who has/had a job in networking who could explain or decipher what you would expect my role to be?

Ta for the help.

ourumov

Well, I have the same problem with the questions part...Try to show them that you are really interested about their offer.
Another tip I would give you is to always look at the eyes of your interlocutor...I am unable to do it though... :p
Oh and if they ask you about your bad points just say that you are a perfectionist...This tip was given to me by SasismiRobot...

Good Luck...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I've interviewed a lot of people. Basically, the interviewer is trying to find someone enthusiastic about the job who has the skills to get it done. Show that you are interested, speak eloquently, and let them know this is your dream job. Never ever say anything bad or negative about yourself. Also, send a follow-up e-mail thanking them for their time to do the interview.

Oh yeah, don't talk money during the interview either. After they give you the job, then you talk compensation.

SFA_AOK

Interview: try not to panic, take your time, think about your answers before saying anything. Staying relaxed is what's key I think, you'll come across as personable and likeable. As for questions, yeah, asking about pay is a no-no for some interviewers. I wouldn't mind someone asking (not that I'm in an interviewing position) but then some people would so it's best not to mention it. I find this part tricky because I go in with some questions in my head but they usually get answered. Doesn't hurt to respond with "I did, but I think you've answered them all already." Maybe ask for some contact info in case you do have any follow up questions. Possible questions... really hard for me to say, obviously I don't know much about the job. But perhaps ask something about the history of what they want you to work on, how many people are going to be working on it... Sorry, I'm not too great at this part :p

As for the job itself - if the interviewer is any good, he'll find out if you're right for the job. No one wants to be stuck WAY out of their depth in a job, and like I say, if they do their job, it wont be an issue they (and you!) will probably realise you're not suitable. But don't worry about not knowing everything - you may not be expected to know everything you need for the job, so if the worst comes to worst, you can always experiment/read up on a subject before tackling it.

Basically, don't lie on your CV, don't lie in the interview and worst case scenario is that they hire you, you're not suitable but it's not your fault. And I don't think that'll be the case at all. Go along to the interview and get a feel for if it's something you think you can do. What's the worst that can happen? :)

BTW, where do you study?

SFA_AOK

Heh, some of the customs in a interview in the States seem weird to me. Emailling to say thanks for an interview? I think here they'd think you were a weirdo :p But hey, different strokes for different strokes :)

I would say though, don't be afraid to say negative things but counter them. "I haven't done x in a work environment before but I have done y which I think will transfer across, plus I pick things up easily" blah blah blah something a little less lame. Same for the "What's you biggest flaw?" - tell them but say how you get round it. "I have a hard time working out how longs things take so what I do is take 5 minutes to break tasks down as far as I need to which I find helps make my time estimates a lot more accurate."

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ok thanks for the help ill try to remember all that, pretty tough for me to look emphusiastic at 10am but i'll give it a shot :D

SFA: Im at the University of Exeter.

Phoenix

Eggo said:
I've interviewed a lot of people. Basically, the interviewer is trying to find someone enthusiastic about the job who has the skills to get it done. Show that you are interested, speak eloquently, and let them know this is your dream job. Never ever say anything bad or negative about yourself. Also, send a follow-up e-mail thanking them for their time to do the interview.

If the question of what your greatest flaw/weakness is you'd better have *SOMETHING* negative or bad to say, else you'll likely get written off as an 'unreal' person. There is generally a question like this on many MBA, law school or graduate school admission tests. We all have a fault, its just a matter of explaining how you deal with it.

Anyways, when it comes to the question phase ask about how people like their jobs, the company's plans for the future, how strong is the teamwork within the company, etc. Remember that you SHOULD be interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. The last thing you want to do is take a job at a place where there is suddenly an well publicized scandal or layoffs.

Most of all remember that one of the BIGGEST things you're trying to do is make the interviewer comfortable with you being a 'part of the family' and someone that they would like to work with. If they don't get that it normally doesn't really matter how qualified you are. No one wants to hire someone they don't want to deal with :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Read up on your technical stuff before going into the interview. Most likely they will ask you technology questions to see if you do know anything.

SFA_AOK

Phoenix said:
Most of all remember that one of the BIGGEST things you're trying to do is make the interviewer comfortable with you being a 'part of the family' and someone that they would like to work with. If they don't get that it normally doesn't really matter how qualified you are. No one wants to hire someone they don't want to deal with :)

Yeah this is pretty important. If you go in like a pompous ass, like you're too good for the job, too good to talk to the interviewer then you're not going to get hired.

Anyway, let us know how you get (got?) on :)

SyNapSe

I didn't read the other suggestions so this may be mentioned:

Anytime hiring for a short-term or contracting type position. Outside of the obvious stuff.. I really want the person to be the type who won't half-ass something. I'm looking for dedication, and an internal need to follow through and do the right thing without being told.

I think anytime you'll be working on something short-term it tends to end up with people taking short cuts as they won't have to support it or make any modifications later on.

Obviously, this is sometimes caused by time constraints also, but there are some people who tend to do their best to avoid this.. say Perfectionists, or people who just really care.. even if the cause isn't their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom