• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gothic Remake gets Overview Trailer

Draugoth

Gold Member

Prisoners, it's time to face reality and embrace your fate. Make yourself at home in the Valley of Mines, a place full of danger, crime and greed. You will stay here for a very. Long. Time. In Gothic 1 Remake, you get thrown into the colony, a massive outdoor prison with no chance for escape. Strays or loners won't make it far here, so get to know the three different camps of the valley and join one of them to survive. Dive into a living world and experience one of the most immersive atmospheres you'll ever see in a video game. Learn how your choices affect the story and even the entire fate of the colony. Welcome to the world of Gothic.​

Welcome to the colony. Gothic 1 Remake is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and, Xbox Series X|S.​

Bartski

Gold Member
„Enjoy a complex life simulation on a scale hardly ever seen before in a videogame”

Suspicious Futurama GIF

Denton

Be glad you've never played the original then, the combat in that one makes this shit look like Devil May Cry.
It is an RPG, not character action game, and for 2001 it had great combat. Even the fact that there are different animations based on skill was so impressive. Like when you have no skill, you hold a one-handed sword like a redneck with both hands, but after improving, the holding and posture changes. Then you improve even more and unlock combos, etc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks pretty good, if the combat and progression feels right then it could easily replace replays/reinstalls of the original for me. And surely they'll move on to 2 if it does well to do the same. I was looking forward to the remasters from Switch going PC but if this is coming soon after I'll wait for it.

Combat looks a lot better and more faithful in spirit to the original than the alpha demo they released some time ago at least.

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

Gothic I, II and III are in my top 10 RPGs; I want this game to succeed but the trailer looks too good to be true. If it's really like they've presented, this might turn out to be the greatest remake ever made.

I am amazed. Unbelievable how close they stuck to the original visual language, that was quite brutalist in design. I wasn't this hyped for a game in a long time.

Last edited:

Denton

but the combat and controls in those games were always something to be endured rather than enjoyed.
I disagree, although the default controls are pretty bad. Once I modified them to my liking, I totally enjoyed it.
With the only exception being inventory in G1. That was really dumb. In G2 it was better, but also got unwieldy with more and more items.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Looks good! I hope this delivers.
Same, but this year is jam packed.

Might end up picking this up spring next year or something.
It looks pretty good, if the combat and progression feels right then it could easily replace replays/reinstalls of the original for me.
True, in my situation, I didn't really care for the combat in the original and really feel in love with the world, so the combat for me personally isn't as relevant. I'm ok with a little jank so long as the experience is complete

Alexios

I'm fine with more than a little jank, so long as it feels ok, the alpha demo was just unfun to play. The original has plenty of jank, when you do good in a fight it often feels more like exploiting its ai than playing with intended mechanics, stun locking with the right timing etc., still it was more than the sum of its parts, the jank made it so your stat ups mattered as much as your skill so it remained an RPG and not a pure action game you could get proficient at and with patience beat all the enemies from the start (though I'm sure some folks can maybe do that it's not like that in normal gameplay).

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The animations look very bad in comparison to everything else and it's not good, hopefully they'll improve them before release. Combat was never a strong suit of these games so I won't be playing the game just for that, but it looks like they did make it more varied (if a bit too slow) so that's good.

„Enjoy a complex life simulation on a scale hardly ever seen before in a videogame”
Yeah, that was laughable to say the least. There's was plenty of games better than the first two Gothic games even in the late 2000s and in 2024... I mean, c'mon :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Denton

Yeah, that was laughable to say the least. There's was plenty of games better than the first two Gothic games even in the late 2000s and in 2024... I mean, c'mon

Eventhough that line was a bit cringe, most games do not persistently simulate NPC lives at all, even games like Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk, let alone stuff like games by Fromsoft or Ubisoft.
About the only open world games I can think of that do it in meaningful way are RDR2, Kingdom Come Deliverance. To lesser degree Bethesda games and STALKER. (of course there is stuff like Dwarf Fortress but that is its own category)
Gothic was pretty ahead of its time in that regard.

Skifi28

This looks ...good? The jury is still out on the combat and it could be a buggy mess for all I know, but it looks like they at least know what the hell the original games are about.

Filben

Looking great so far. They even took from the original the way the hero handles weapons with different/increasing skill. No shortcuts with NPCs either, so it seems; every NPC having a daily routine, his own bed he returns to every night.

I'm also interested in stealth gameplay and thief mechanics tbh. I wish they would show some of the mechanics sooner rather than later. I'm also curious about lock picking mechanics. Maybe this will scratch my Thief itch.

Wishlisted. I wasn't expecting it to look quite as good as that. I'm sure it will have some jank, but I played through and enjoyed Two Worlds so I'm sure this will be more than fine.

thief183

Many of you wanting a new combat system will be really underwhelmed, but mostly... who cares? This is gothic, this is a game that felt way more alive than most games today, it's focus was not the combat at all but all the interactions with npc and the world.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Remember folks they fired and closed the actual Gothic developers and just kept their IPs so keep some amount of skepticism as this game isn't made by the original team.

Denton

Remember folks they fired and closed the actual Gothic developers and just kept their IPs so keep some amount of skepticism as this game isn't made by the original team.
PB didn't have a lot of people from the original team either. Mike Hoge, Kai Rosenkranz and many other Gothic devs left PB years ago.
This remake actually has Kai onboard, plus it has one lead from Archolos team, plus it has lead writer of Enderal.
Imho this team has a lot more promise than late stage Piranhas had (Elex 2 was terrible).

Humdinger

Sounds interesting. I never played the original Gothic, although I've heard a lot about it. I've played some similar games (e.g., Risen and one of the later Gothics, the one that made it to console, can't recall which). Eurojank RPG with an indefinable charm despite lackluster combat.

I would like a return to old-fashioned style WRPGs. No sign of when it will be released, though, I take it. Certainly not this year.

amigastar

piranha bytes or now Pithead Studios should really make another RPG with the same quality as Gothic 1 and 2.
I mean they are trying but so far without success.

Last edited:

Poordevil

I am kind if an outlier as far as the Gothic games go. Gothic III was my introduction to the series. I never played the first Gothic. I played Gothic II but didn't enjoy it as much as Gothic III. Gothic III was awesome! My all time favorite open world action RPG. Had way more to offer me than any Elder Scrolls game. Wasn't perfect. Had to grow comfortable with clunky melee combat.
So this remake perks my interest. Pretty sure I will give it a go. Especially since I have never played Gothic I.

Denton

There was the abomination that is Arcania
Oh right, I forgot about that. It was made by different studio. I actually did play it and finish it. It was pretty bad, but the graphics and world was nice, so I did find some mild enjoyment in it.

Alexios

piranha bytes or now Pithead Studios should really make another RPG with the same quality as Gothic 1 and 2.
I mean they are trying but so far without success.
I liked the first Risen, they almost got it all right, fixing everything wrong with Gothic 3 even and with a fresh start, but not since then imo (well I mostly didn't like the themes they went for after it but the games didn't keep me as engaged either).

amigastar

I liked the first Risen, they almost got it all right, fixing everything wrong with Gothic 3 even and with a fresh start, but not since then imo (well I mostly didn't like the themes they went for after it but the games didn't keep me as engaged either).
Yeah, first Risen was awesome as well, after that Risen 2 was weak, never really played Risen 3 for very long.

This game has me interested, but some people are talking about the original like it’s the best game ever.

Can someone tell me why the first one is so well loved? What’s the big deal?

Top Bottom