• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY sent to VU Games for approval (Half Life 2)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/16/news_6107603.html

After years of missed launch dates and release mishaps, the Half-Life 2 saga is entering its final chapter. Doug Lombardi, Valve's director of public relations, confirmed to GameSpot today that the release candidate for the game has been sent to its publisher, VU Games, for approval. "Yes, the release candidate went to VUG yesterday," he said.

Word of the submission first came via a forum post from Valve CEO Gabe Newell. "The RC went to VU yesterday," read Newell's one-line post on the hl2fallout.com forums. In light of the recent false postings on the site, shacknews.com confirmed the post's authenticity. "Yes. Getting close," Newell responded.

Submission of a release candidate to the publisher is the final step in a game's development. If VU approves the candidate, Half-Life 2 will "go gold," and will be sent to the factory for production. However, no official release date has yet been set for the game, although online vendors have given it a speculative November ship date.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How come they say years of missed release dates? Was the game suppose to come out years ago?

Eric-GCA

Banned
VU is probably going to be stupid and wait for a November release when it could probably be out earlier.

I swear developers never learn not to release your big budget titles at the very same time as others (Halo 2, GTA:SA, MP2)

Eric-GCA

Banned
For some reason, I really think the Christmas rush is quite overrated and releasing a quality game anytime during the year will net you great sales, especially one with such a high profile as Half Life 2.

Slo

I'd laugh my ass off if the candidate was rejected.

"WTF IS THIS CRAP VALVE? PROJECT CANCELLED!"

Slo said:
I'd laugh my ass off if the candidate was rejected.

"WTF IS THIS CRAP VALVE? PROJECT CANCELLED!"

LOL. I doubt Universal will even bother to boot it up.

START THE PRESSES!
SHIPMENTS START TOMORROW!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I believe the first RC Valve sent of HL1 to Sierra was accepted the first time out. I bet it happens again, Valve has probably playtested the hell out of the game.

Mrbob

HAWT.

I believe the first RC Valve sent of HL1 to Sierra was accepted the first time out. I bet it happens again, Valve has probably playtested the hell out of the game.

Well rumors suggest that the game has been practically finished for awhile now and Valve has been polishing the hell out of it the past 6 months.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hopefully the controls will be a bit less slippery this time around... I recently downloaded Half Life 1, and don't get me wrong, it's a good game and all, but the controls seem too fast and too slippery, it makes precise jumps difficult.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
teepo said:
a lot of things have been cut in order to make the deadline :(

The deadline was September 30, 2003. The only thing that's been cut were people's hopes that it wouldn't be delayed for an entire year.

Still can't wait for it. :D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
DopeyFish said:
lols, ok. Is Valve going to be releasing it on STEAM the exact time it goes gold? :)

I doubt that their deal with VU would allow them to get a 2-3 week sales headstart somehow, I expect it will be unlocked on Steam at the official release date, not the 'gone gold' date.

Coop

Years of delays? I thought Valve announced HL2 last year. And it will probably be available on steam when the game ships.-

jonhuz

Eric-GCA said:
For some reason, I really think the Christmas rush is quite overrated and releasing a quality game anytime during the year will net you great sales, especially one with such a high profile as Half Life 2.

Tell that to the marketeers.

Top Bottom