• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GP32 - Anyone have one?

SickBoy

Seems like a neat little unit, but I have no idea how well it runs anything, or if it's at all well built.

I'd love to emulate some of the old games I have... and not having an MP3 player, it would be nice to get that additional purpose as well... not to mention checking out what homebrew people are doing...

EDIT: What would make this all the sweeter would be support for AAC-encoded audio files.

Nicely built unit for sure, but unless you are a code monkey who wnats to play around, don't expect too much stuff to actually play and enjoy.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I like my GP32. :)

It's really cool if you're into emulators and stuff. The NES emulator is just about perfect (handheld Punchout, take that Nintendo!), and the Genesis emulator is coming along nicely (apart from a few sound issues Streets of Rage 2 works fine, for example) just to name a few.

Oh, and the mp3 player is usable, but nothing to write home about. Just to make sure you're aware of that. Haven't bothered to try the unofficial media players though.

SickBoy

Kiriku said:
Oh, and the mp3 player is usable, but nothing to write home about.

What exactly do you mean by that? Just mediocre playback quality, or are there interface issues/other problems?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SickBoy said:
What exactly do you mean by that? Just mediocre playback quality, or are there interface issues/other problems?

The playback quality is decent enough (may get glitchy at 320 kbps and the likes though), but the interface is clunky and slow. And there's no way to scan through songs.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If you are into emu , then you are in heaven, but the GP32 games are (to put it mildly) ass.

The Atari ST emu is perfect - it's really great.
PC Engine emu is also awesome
Genesis is getting there, SNES emu is pretty average
Little John (NES) is great too
C64 and Spectrum emu is great

You can get games like Doom etc too

if you get one, make sure you get one of the BLUs!

There is an excellent MP3 player to download, GPmadMP3, just ignore the standard one. The quality is great, but you really can't fit many songs on a 128 meg card (though I guess that applies to all non-HDD MP3 players).

It's totally worth it for portable NES emulation though.

Top Bottom