• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gradius V soundtrack

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
8/19/04
GRADIUS V SOUNDTRACKS

#gamemp3s release

Composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto

Catalogue Number KOLA-081
Publisher Konami Media Entertainment
Composition Hitoshi Sakimoto
First Printing August 18, 2004

- Playing Time
01 OPENING
02 SELECT -WEAPON ARRAY-
03 UNIVERSE -STAGE1-
04 STAGE BOSS
05 INTERMEZZO
06 BOSS RUSH
07 BIGCORE Mk-IV
08 FORTRESS -STAGE3-
09 CELL -STAGE4-
10 METEOR -STAGE5-
11 SOMETHING GREEN -STAGE6-
12 BIGCORE
13 BIGCORE Mk-III
14 HIGH SPEED -STAGE7-
15 IMPREGNABLE FORTRESS -STAGE7-
16 ELEPHANT GEAR
17 DEMO
18 BATTLESHIP -STAGE2&8-
19 LAST ENEMY
20 STAFF ROLL
21 NAME ENTRY
22 GAME OVER

Trevelyon

Holy crap! Sakimoto rocks my socks off once again. I've been waiting for him to compose another shooter since Radiant Silvergun & this OST is nothing short of awesome.

My frothing demand for FFXII increases!

Trevelyon

Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire V, Final Fantasy Tatics um.... Silvergun & he is composing the Final Fantasy XII score.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sakimoto didn't do the ikaruga soundtrack - actually the director of treasure's shmups, hiroshi iuchi, composed it himself. which is pretty impressive.

Hitoshi Sakimoto has been involved in quite a bit:

Individual Efforts:
-Soukyuugurentai
-Gradius V
-Radiant Silvergun
-Vagrant Story
-Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter

Effort as part of a group of composers:
-Ogre Battle Series
-Bloody Roar 1 Arcade
-Cho Aniki 2
-Final Fantasy Tactics Series
-Legaia Duel Saga
-Stella Deus
-Treasure Hunter G

And of course FFXII upcoming.

(Gradius V boss tracks = rock)

Thanks for the info. The soundtrack to RS is still one of my fave soundtracks of all time. I have the music downloaded, but as said before, I'm waiting to play the game before spoling anything.... though I might try out the boss track, just because. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy fantastic. This has been on almost constant loop on my iPod since I got it a couple of days ago. Sakimoto rocks here! Impregnable Fortress = awesome song! And it's only one of many awesome songs.

It's like a strange combination of a bit of classic orchestration with LOTS of modernized and relevant sounding 80s electronic rock!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yep, I originally grabbed the ripped version of this a while ago...but every track was like 6-10 minutes long. It works much better in this bite sized official soundtrack. :p

Really great stuff! Sakimoto has really been impressing me a lot as of late.

Mejilan

He's very talented, but he certainly showed a different side of that talent with this one. Damn, I still can't get Impregnable Fortress out of my head! :)

Mejilan said:
He's very talented, but he certainly showed a different side of that talent with this one. Damn, I still can't get Impregnable Fortress out of my head! :)

Thanks to you, I broke down and listened to the track, and you're right, it's fucking awesome!

White Man

Sakimoto is probably my second favorite game composer, next to Mitsuda. What has Mitsuda done lately, anyway? Last I remember was Xenosaga, which was aurally underwhelming.

White Man said:
Sakimoto is probably my second favorite game composer, next to Mitsuda. What has Mitsuda done lately, anyway? Last I remember was Xenosaga, which was aurally underwhelming.

Yeah, I actually liked part 2 a bit better, and that was from someone else.

White Man said:

The last soundtrack he worked on was Shadow Hearts 2. He only has a few songs, but he shows why he's still the best with those few.

Mejilan

FortNinety said:
Thanks to you, I broke down and listened to the track, and you're right, it's fucking awesome!

Well damn. I just finished listening to it and moved on, read your post, and now I'm back at it again! Hahahah.

Actually, I think Mitsuda did an incredible job with XenoSaga I. I blame Monoliths' awful as hell utilization of the music in-game on the negative feedback it tends to get. Playing the game, you just don't get properly exposed to his music, imho.

And, he finally succeeded in doing an absolutely stupendous battle track in that game, something he's been strangely weak at over the years, imho.

Mejilan said:
And, he finally succeeded in doing an absolutely stupendous battle track in that game, something he's been strangely weak at over the years, imho.

That's one thing i've always noticed about Mitsuda too, for some reason he just isn't that strong with battle tracks. He does everything else so well, but when it comes to battle tracks he doesn't seem to do so well. They aren't bad, they just don't really fit right. I'd say Iwadare is the best when it comes to that aspect of music.

Mejilan

Yes! Iwadare is fantastic at battle tracks. Just about everything he's done with Lunar and Grandia, as far as combat, have been gold. The only song that truly left me cold was the new standard combat theme used in Lunar 1 for the PSOne. The Sega Cd version was g-dly, and the PSOne (and GBA) versions, a whole new song, were quite horrid. Mitsuda's had like 2 battle themes that I truly loved (and one, Magus' doubled as a character theme, something he's always been good at.)

Yes Grandia's battle themes are incredible (especially Grandia 2). I don't think he's done any new soundtrack since Grandia Xtreme which is a shame really.

If Square-Enix ever did another "Dream Project" i'd like for them to have Mitsuda, Sakimoto, Iwadare and the master himself, Sugiyama as the composers.

Mejilan

Actually, didn't Iwadare do some anime or dating game soundtracks in the interim? And hasn't he gone on record to say that he's composed music for the vaporware we know as Lunar 3? *sigh*

PS - Not full soundtracks, but he has contributed to Premium Arrange albums as well, IIRC. Either PSO, Dark Chronicle, or both.

The last soundtrack he worked on was Shadow Hearts 2. He only has a few songs, but he shows why he's still the best with those few.

He also worked on Deep Labyrinth, a cell phone game that Chrono Cross director Masato Kato was also involved with, and on some TV cartoon whose title I've forgotten.

Mejilan

Despite the 80's style electric rock thing it's got going, it doesn't sound like crappy 80s era synth. In other words, the instrumentation's awesome.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I love the music in Radiant Silvergun... I didn't know Sakamoto did the music till I played it... I was a big fan of FF Tactics soundtrack, so when I played RS, and heard the music where you fight Leka (the snake, I believe)... I couldn't believe how much it sounded like FFT. Though don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* the synth-rock and electronic music that a lot of other shooters have (Einhander... hell yeah), but RS was a really nice change of pace from all that. I'm gonna wait on listening to this, I don't want to spoil the soundtrack for me :p

Top Bottom