• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger X

If it's true the discs are being printed as we speak, it's almost impossible this game will slip after Christmas. Common sense tells us they can print like 5 million copies with November month alone, they will totally have enough copies ready for a second half December release and then have regular shipments for a while.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Metalmurphy said:
So PD's business practice can be blamed on Kaz's childhood trauma?

Childhood? A game in the early days of the studio is hardly childhood. I think he probably went to Sony afterwards and said "See, gamers complained, you should have given me 3 more months!" and ever since then he has been able to use the same card.

Or if they changed the contract terms and he got a "I will always decide timing" clause so Sony is powerless to push it out.

And as to loading specs into the engine, he said something similar before. He said they loaded a test setup race car and same day they had a test driver get within a half second of his real life time.

DR2K

Banned
Doesn't something go gold after the disc stamping process?(game being complete and ready to ship)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DR2K said:
Doesn't something go gold after the disc stamping process?(game being complete and ready to ship)
Nope, you 'go Gold Master' after fixing every 'show stopper bug'.

Gold Master is the retail build.

UFRA

DoctorWho said:
I can't imagine them pressing the discs before Christmas and then waiting until March to release. There is plenty of money to be made between Black Friday and Christmas and this game will be huge.

I agree, but vague responses just make me scared. :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
DR2K said:

Its before the stamping. The discs are stamped from an original Gold Master disc. Which is where the phrase "go gold" comes from.

So in effect, when you hear gone gold it means the discs are being printed and on their way to retail. Nothing can be changed on those discs without recalling them. Which has happened as recently as last month with the Shaun White game.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
It was really to adjust it so it would be perfect. The first game that I made was Motor Toon Grand Prix for the first PlayStation. The year and a half that it was in development, the last three months as the release date approached, myself and my staff were getting three hours of sleep a day to try and get the game done. Near the end, the people from Sony came to our development studio and told us it was good enough and that we could release it. At the time, I probably wasn't thinking very clearly, being as exhausted as I was, and I talked myself into thinking this was good enough and it went to release.

But all the things I thought were not enough yet, the users said the exact same thing when the game came out. That was something I regretted very much when that happened because I knew it was coming. And that happened at the beginning of my career, and it was something I vowed would never happen again.

More Kaz BS? GT2 was clearly rushed to get out in time for holidays. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to GT5.

Ranger X said:
If it's true the discs are being printed as we speak, it's almost impossible this game will slip after Christmas. Common sense tells us they can print like 5 million copies with November month alone, they will totally have enough copies ready for a second half December release and then have regular shipments for a while.

This is the busiest time of the year and there is limited pressing capacity generally. The discs usually have to be ordered ahead of time to be pressed and shipped to stores in times. A delay this late in the game could cause it to slip to past Christmas.

Sean33

Neo Member
The Black Friday pre-Holiday release isn't key for the games success, it is key for Sony as a whole this holiday season.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sean33 said:
The Black Friday pre-Holiday release isn't key for the games success, it is key for Sony as a whole this holiday season.

Nah. Thats mostly in the US anyway. And new games don't even get good BF deals usually.

As long as they come out 1-2 weeks before X-mas people will still be able to buy it for themselves and others as gifts.

Sean33 said:

If they miss it, post Black Friday is the next best thing. Waiting till after Christmas wouldn't make any sense if they want to maximize sales.

commedieu

Banned
I think realistic engine swaps... would have been a great idea, like commonly done tried & tested setups. But probably too much physics to realisitcally calculate versus just adding pluses to a 'horsepower' value.

It would be great if the option was there for certain vehicles, as an upgrade in performance.

like there are several cars that realistically take LS1's, SR2Det's, blah blah. So it would only be for that car, in that performance upgrade menu. Not putting a v12 inside of a civic.

Q: There's been a lot of build up to Gran Turismo 5, and one of the things you did was work with Adrian Newey on the Red Bull X1 Prototype. What do you have to do to get it in the game? Please don't say we have to complete 100 percent of the game before we get it.

A: Gran Turismo 5 has two different modes of play. One is the A-spec and one is the B-spec mode. In A-spec mode, you are the actual driver behind the wheel, and in B-spec mode, you are the director of a racing team where you nurture your drivers that race for you in the races. When you get to a certain level in either A-spec or B-spec, the X1 car will be available for people to try.

?

Firewire said:
Yes it truly does...

GT-by-Citroen-Race-Car-Front.jpg

GT-by-Citroen-Race-Car-SideLeft.jpg
Incredible how a racing hood, spoiler and livery can turn a gangly looking car into a ferocious baby eating monster of a car.

It's like an awesome toy I would have played with as a kid.

gtmax

SolidSnakex said:
I'm sorry guys but i don't understand this blind love for PD. This guy has a job to do and he can never stick to a schedule. Pretty much every single release of GT is the same old story. don't mean to single you out, but you guys are like a battered spouse at this point. You get treated like shit adn then your spouse brings you flowers and all is forgiven.

Maybe i'm jealous that i can't muster the same level of awe for these guys anymore.

gtmax said:
I'm sorry guys but i don't understand this blind love for PD. This guy has a job to do and he can never stick to a schedule. Pretty much every single release of GT is the same old story. don't mean to single you out, but you guys are like a battered spouse at this point. You get treated like shit adn then your spouse brings you flowers and all is forgiven.

Maybe i'm jealous that i can't muster the same level of awe for these guys anymore.

As far as i'm concerned they make the best racing games around, part of the reason for that is because they're allowed to work on them for as long as they need. I'm happy that Sony doesn't force them into popping out a full GT every year or every other year.

spwolf

gtmax said:

point is not to have game out tomorrow, but have the best game you can have.

and this is actually not common, because publishers tend to rush things so they spend less money on the game development.

Sony and PD spending more money on GT5 and selling it to us at $60 is good for us, not bad.

gtmax

They could spend ten years, and they're getting close to it, and it'll never be perfect as there's no such thing as a perfect, complete game. They need to be reigned in already. You can't tell me all those side jobs Kaz was taking didn't work into the delay.

I could've lost all my fingers in the last two years and never been able to play this. Give me an imperfect game, but a game nonetheless.

I completely understand your philosophy, but i don't agree or ascribe to it.

gtmax said:
They could spend ten years, and they're getting close to it, and it'll never be perfect as there's no such thing as a perfect, complete game. They need to be reigned in already. You can't tell me all those side jobs Kaz was taking didn't work into the delay.

I could've lost all my fingers in the last two years and never been able to play this. Give me an imperfect game, but a game nonetheless.

You can't tell me they didn't work into making the game better.

Lothars

gtmax said:

It's not though each release of GT is really good and worth the wait as GT5 won't be any different. It's taking forever to be released but I think we are closer than ever before.

slider

gtmax said:

It's bloody annoying. And the way the dissemination of information (re release date) has been handled is also annoying (to the casual observer).

But I'm sure when I have it it'll all be forgotten.

gtmax said:

A game is of course never going to be perfect. In the case of GT5, Kaz said that the November 2nd delay was a result of them needing to polish a few of the more complicated areas of GT5. What's wrong with that? Just last month you have Bethesda releasing Fallout: New Vegas, a game that's been frequently criticized for being one of the buggiest games this generation. So I can't fault a developer for noticing that a game they're working on isn't up to the polish level that they want nor can I fault a publisher for actually allowing that developer to finish that polish. I'm happy that PD is actually trying to release a game just like they would in previous generation rather than just relying on patches to fix a broken product as so many devs this generation have.

gtmax said:

Each GT game sell around 10 million copies , when Kaz goes to all those shows Sony and GT get free press. The same when he works with car manufactures on there cars which also helps GT.
It's kind hard to reign in Kaz when PD has become more than a game company , the man was once vote one most important people in the car business .
It's been a long while but we are going to get so much content that i really can't complain about it . I don't think we would have certain things if the game was rush out early .

Sean33 said:
dude I have to put you on ignore just so I never see your avatar again. I still can't see straight after looking at it for 10 seconds.

Glix

SolidSnakex said:
A game is of course never going to be perfect. In the case of GT5, Kaz said that the November 2nd delay was a result of them needing to polish a few of the more complicated areas of GT5. What's wrong with that? Just last month you have Bethesda releasing Fallout: New Vegas, a game that's been frequently criticized for being one of the buggiest games this generation. So I can't fault a developer for noticing that a game they're working on isn't up to the polish level that they want nor can I fault a publisher for actually allowing that developer to finish that polish. I'm happy that PD is actually trying to release a game just like they would in previous generation rather than just relying on patches to fix a broken product as so many devs this generation have.

There is nothing wrong with it except for the fact that they didn't tell us right away. With the lead time involved in getting the game on shelves, they knew they weren't going to make 11/2 before we were told. That was pretty fucked up in my opinion.

PS - N did the same thing with Smash, and it pissed me off to the same degree.

Glix said:
There is nothing wrong with it except for the fact that they didn't tell us right away. With the lead time involved in getting the game on shelves, they knew they weren't going to make 11/2 before we were told. That was pretty fucked up in my opinion.

PS - N did the same thing with Smash, and it pissed me off to the same degree.
They really wanted to make the deadline and they held on as long as possible. I'm sure people were just killing themselves to make that deadline and even when they should have known, they didn't want to fail.

Baby Milo

gtmax said:
They need to be reigned in already.
why?

why does it matter to you if Sony allows Kaz to bring the game to market the way he wants to. PD's games sell boatloads. If Sony doesn't have a problem with it then you shouldn't.

Rflagg

SolidSnakex said:
As far as i'm concerned they make the best racing games around, part of the reason for that is because they're allowed to work on them for as long as they need. I'm happy that Sony doesn't force them into popping out a full GT every year or every other year.
This.

They have earned slack form me due to past wonderful game experiences form the series. They have earned slack form Sony due to past financial performance.

I think people are getting a little defensive IMO. Just because I yell FUCK!!! doesn't mean I don't appreciate what PD/Kaz do and will line up and buy the game anyway ... but come on, he knows he has rabid fans just as much as he is a fan of racing and they knew well before ... uh, today?! .. that it wouldn't make the release.

While I appreciate the effort he puts into his games it seems like he doesn't give a shit about the fans that buy his games.

Am I angry because this was my most anticipated holiday release? Yep. So take that as you will .. I'm pissed. Apologize for their "perfectionism" all you want but they seem to not give a fuck about the fans and he's only making a game for himself.

thelastword

Banned
gtmax said:

Hey, we all want GT5, but GT5 isn't a yearly need for speed game or even a forza every two years. There's more blood sweat and tears going into this series, more cars, courses and features. There's a reason why GT is the stalwart that it is, if GT was developed just as any other racer, it certainly would not be at pole position amongst racers as it is now.

flyinpiranha said:
I think people are getting a little defensive IMO. Just because I yell FUCK!!! doesn't mean I don't appreciate what PD/Kaz do and will line up and buy the game anyway ... but come on, he knows he has rabid fans just as much as he is a fan of racing and they knew well before ... uh, today?! .. that it wouldn't make the release.

While I appreciate the effort he puts into his games it seems like he doesn't give a shit about the fans that buy his games.

Am I angry because this was my most anticipated holiday release? Yep. So take that as you will .. I'm pissed. Apologize for their "perfectionism" all you want but they seem to not give a fuck about the fans and he's only making a game for himself.

Horns
Damage
Skidmarks
Improved Smoke
Reverse Lights
Custom Soundtracks
And probably lots of other stuff

All stuff the fans were asking for. All added. Kaz didn't even want damage in but he put it in cause everyone was requesting it. I think people are getting a little offensive IMO.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Metalmurphy said:
Horns
Damage
Skidmarks
Improved Smoke
Reverse Lights
Custom Soundtracks
And probably lots of other stuff

All stuff the fans were asking for. All added. Kaz didn't even want damage in but he put it in cause everyone was requesting it. I think people are getting a little offensive IMO.

Pretty much, every now and then he says so.

Lothars

flyinpiranha said:

I really think you have no clue what your talking about, if he's not making a game for the fans than I don't think there would be the features that would be included.

the game will be out this year and it's gonna be fantastic, I have no doubt in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom