• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently setting up my new wheel setup, not sure how I feel about :/ It's lower then the previous one, and simpler, but not as sturdy. Kinda moves all over the place. Also means I'll need a lower chair and the only one I got is one of those that rotates, kinda sucks for using a wheel :p

Wazzim

Banned
spats said:
*opens eBay*
untitled-1.jpg

:(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So.........................who wants to start the collection and then raffle the name off for the person who will get to buy a copy off ebay!?!!??!?

Oh please let this be like the PS3 Slim that ended up on a random Philippine store last year :lol

I just want a non-NDA regular guy to get one of these and start spilling out the beans :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now we get desperate for scraps of information. We should take up a fund and buy the info on ebay. Just the info. That way we have the scoop muahahahahaha

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Oh please let this be like the PS3 Slim that ended up on a random Philippine store last year :lol

I just want a non-NDA regular guy to get one of these and start spilling out the beans :p

I still can't believe that slim ended up being really. I didn't believe it at all.

darkwing

fu3lfr3nzy said:

lol yeah that was epic, i bet the first one who will get this out in the wild will be famous

DoctorWho said:
With all the excitement I'm considering the purchase of a racing wheel. What is the cheapest/best racing wheel to get?

Cheapest or best? You can probably get a crappy wheel for pretty cheap. Speaking of which, I need to get to working on my setup as soon as I find a new place to live.

offshore

While we continue to wait, here's part of the Esquire piece. Nothing Earth shattering, but it's still a good read.
“It is a game and it is a simulator,” Yamauchi explains, “but it’s definitely also something else. I sort of consider Gran Turismo to be a movement.”
I ask Yamauchi where this passion for all things four-wheeled originated. “Our family dealt in fine china, ceramics, that kind of thing,” he reflects. “In Japan, a fine china merchant would usually go from house to house. When I was three, I would often be the passenger in my father’s car, going with him on his deliveries to our customers. It was just natural for me to see the other cars on the road through the window. Children pick things up very quickly, and I soon learned the names of all the cars.”

He once wanted to be the next Jean-Henri Fabre - the French entomologist who inspired Charles Darwin. “I would read his books from cover to cover every day,” he says. Could Fabre’s fastidious attention to detail in recording nature have motivated the way he catalogues cars? “I never thought about it, but yes, that’s probably where this drive for detail began.”
“I think people will feel like they’re taking on the unknown,” Yamauchi says. “It won’t be just about the graphics or the physics - I think they’re going to have an experience in which they see the true potential of this thing they’re playing with.”
Although Polyphony is a subsidiary of SCEI, it has been awarded complete autonomy from its parent, and yet it is still relied upon to deliver to a deadline. Does this daunt him? “I never really worry about that kind of pressure,” he says. “The first GT took five years to create, at which time there were no promises, no deadlines, and I was able to achieve something that I was finally satisfied with, that was received very well by users all over. Because I had that experience at the beginning of my career, my confidence is unwavering.” This is why he has taken as long as he’s needed to nurture GT5 to completion: realism and attention to detail being the watchwords of the series’ unquestionable popularity.
It is uplifting too, that - unlike certain rivals - he is not blindly sycophantic about the platform for which he develops. “Software has to be created under the restriction of the hardware,” he says. “With each new PlayStation, the vessel has become bigger, but it’s still not enough. With GT5, we’ve made it as clean and beautiful as possible within the confines of the space we’re given, but of course there’s a lot more that we want to put in.”

Our interview is drawing to a close. There’s a project to finish after all, final checks to be carried out, tiny imperfections to be remedied. I ask Yamauchi what he would like his legacy to be. He considers the question at length. “Even if the product itself is forgotten, if the movement that involves GT leaves a mark in history, I think I’d be very happy.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8113479/Gran-Turismo-5-developer-interview.html

spats

Yamauchi’s routine typically involves 24 hours at his desk, followed by nine hours’ down time. “I operate on a 33-hour day,” he laughs. Relaxation, he adds, is fulfilled by reading voraciously. “It’s been like that since I was 10.”

Oh Kaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom