• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great trailers, Bad movies

AmuroChan

What are some of the best movie trailers you've seen where the actual movie ended up not being very good?

Star Wars Ep I

Pearl Harbor (2001)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Prometheus

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tron: Legacy

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Tschumi

I actually liked pearl harbour, didn't own many other VHS at that time so i watched it heaps.. inspired an interest in the tech of the time and neatly set me up for battlefield 1943 in the Pacific.. hard to watch now ofc

Your examples are all pretty correct

I imagine any trailer they made for Tombstone would have highballed the thing

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Man of Steel for sure wins for me, that 3rd trailer.... just man that was amazing.

Episode 1's trailer was amazing (for the time) also, really got you pumped. Looking at it now though you see all the signs of how bad the movie would be.

This is going to be an opinion no one likes.. but Arrival. GREAT trailer.... HORRIBLE movie (I truely hated it) and yes I fully understand the story, I just hate its pacing/direction/sound mixing/and the leads.

CloudNull

Banned
Not a terrible movie. But I probably enjoyed the trailers more than the movie.

Bitch Slap Slapping GIF by absurdnoise

dr_octagon

Banned
Tron legacy ain’t a bad movie
daft punk couldn't redeem it, the first 40 mins or so were great but then it turned into awful boring neon journey for old man with cgi antagonist. 1 glow disk out of 5

rogue one cut out the best parts from the trailer, the powahh we are dealing with is immeasurable

Prometheus is one of the biggest disappointments in cinema, what a visually fantastic crock of shit.

CAB_Life

Prometheus, for sure. Most of the Spider Man franchise is absolute drivel compared to the sizzle-reel we get in the trailer. Oh Wine Country was just horrid, too. How you screw up a comedy with so many funny actors is beyond me. Script was dry, delivery was terrible, there was one good scene when I was explaining it to a friend, then I remembered that was just the Wine Ladies from my Canadian gals:

Fbh

I remember being hyped as fuck for Clash of the Titans lol

Wasn't expecting it to be faithful to the original, or to greek mythology....or the plot to be good.
But I thought it would be a cool action movie. Come on, Liam Neeson as Zeus? Voldemort as Hades? cool VFX? Gemma Arterton?. Looked cool
But it was so fucking bad, and the trailer had the only good shots.

Last edited:
I remember being hyped as fuck for Clash of the Titans lol

Wasn't expecting it to be faithful to the original, or to greek mythology....or the plot to be good.
But I thought it would be a cool action movie. Come on, Liam Neeson as Zeus? Voldemort as Hades? cool VFX? Gemma Arterton?. Looked cool
But it was so fucking bad, and the trailer had the only good shots.

I like it some times movies so bad they turn good.

Supes was a realistic superhero movie with realistic death counts everyone got offended, and now you have to be careful to hurt a fly.

Game of thrones full frontal rape of white hair girl cut penis of a man no problem, simply imply rape of red hair girl everyone goes nutz.

Last edited:
I thought Prometheus was quite alright. The only decent movie in the Alien Universe aside from the first two. I appreciated that it didn't answer all of your questions like you were a child. The mystery of the unknown and the origins of life were some nice themes.

That scene where David is talking to that other scientist and asked him "why did you create me?" and he replies "because we could" then David fires back with something along the line of "imagine your disappointment if they told you that". I can't remember the exact quote but it was close to that.

It made me think, what if there was really a God and he created us just because he could. As humans, we often do the same thing. Push the limits of science, engineering, and our own personal goals just because we can. Because it was a challenge for humanity to overcome. Us landing on the moon really offered no direct benefit to humanity. Just a big pissing match between two superpowers to see who could one-up another.

There was another idea that also caught my attention. At the end of the movie, it hinted at the idea that humanity was a mistake from its creators and the Engineers wanted to wipe us out. Like how in the bible, humanity was punished for the sins of Adam and Eve exiling them from the garden. No to mention the great flood later on. God saw that as righteous punishment for our uncontrolled sinful actions.

I came to post Prometheus. 😂😂 Dont get me wrong it's not terrible once you watch the fan edit that takes the shit out and puts back the full narrative like the Engineer speaking. I can only assume Ridley Scott's brother dying during the shoot made him take his eye off the ball in the editing.

Still not as disappointing as the trailer for The Prophecy. I still think this is one of the best horror trailers ever. Which is a shame, as the movie is about a shitty, laughably fake mutant bear on the rampage.

Last edited:

Loke

Still not as disappointing as the trailer for The Prophecy. I still think this is one of the best horror trailers ever. Which is a shame, as the movie is about a shitty, laughably fake mutant bear on the rampage.

Eh, I don't think Prophecy is that awful. It's a pretty fun b-movie to watch to be honest. There are some creepy moments in the film just like there are some unintentionally funny parts in it.

Excess

I think I first saw this trailer before The Lost World Jurassic Park. It was such a shock, and then once you see it's Ripley, you're like "HOLY FUCK YESS".

Last edited:

Trilobit

Tron Legacy is great. It's an awesome movie to watch at like 2 a.m. The atmosphere combined with the amazing soundtrack makes you feel like you're in a different world.

Terminator: Salvation

Makes it seem like a MUCH deeper film (y'know, like Terminator 1 & 2) rather than the vapid action movie it actually is. That's not to say it's BAD (it's no Genisys), but it is still a massive wasted opportunity.

Any avengers movie. Arguably Amazing Spider-Man 2. People forgot but that movie has sublime marketing. I mean go watch that "You know what it is I love about being Spiderman...? Everything." Trailer with the choir music. Still get chills.

That said BvS, Prometheus, and man of steel are timeless, exceptional, masterfully crafted films. People like to go and nit pick plot holes cause they watched cinemasins and are smug thinking they have an IQ of 200 because movies created by humans naturally have flaws in them.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I actually liked pearl harbour, didn't own many other VHS at that time so i watched it heaps.. inspired an interest in the tech of the time and neatly set me up for battlefield 1943 in the Pacific.. hard to watch now ofc

Your examples are all pretty correct

I imagine any trailer they made for Tombstone would have highballed the thing
Dafuq? That movie went almost unnoticed. I didn’t even know it was out and therefore missed its theatrical run.

Saw it on VHS. And it quickly became my all-time favorite movie. If anything it was the opposite. Terrible trailer, fucking fantastic movie.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Any avengers movie. Arguably Amazing Spider-Man 2. People forgot but that movie has sublime marketing. I mean go watch that "You know what it is I love about being Spiderman...? Everything." Trailer with the choir music. Still get chills.

That said BvS, Prometheus, and man of steel are timeless, exceptional, masterfully crafted films. People like to go and nit pick plot holes cause they watched cinemasins and are smug thinking they have an IQ of 200 because movies created by humans naturally have flaws in them.

Well, that’s one hell of a take. Man of Steel had promise, but those other two movie were disasters. I don’t need some youtuber to know how much Ridley Scott got up his own ass with that movie and how poorly written and acted BvS was.

TheGrat1

I can understand not liking the theatrical cut of BvS, the plot was broken. The Ultimate Edition was not a 10/10 like the trailer but it was certainly not a bad film.
Ya'll trippin' calling Man of Steel a bad movie, though. Straight up.

One of the GOAT trailers, hands down:

The film was just a boring retread of the original, right down to the Deus Ex Machina ending. Outside of cinematography (a lot of shots are genuinely beautiful), music and the plane rescue it was a complete snoozefest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom