• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest year's end ever, or just the most predictable?

This thread is more of an informal poll I guess. It comes from my thinking that while this season has more big franchises than past years it is also a very predictable year and in fact I find my self not as excited as I should be because of this. In fact I'm dying for next year to happen so I can play Okami, Wanda, Jade Empire etc.
So I'm inclined to say Most Predictable Ever.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I don't what you mean by this year's end is predictable, but the games are sure to please everyone. Next year looks awesome, too. The quality of good games is just not going down. GREAT time to be a gamer. Bad time to be broke :(

Zaptruder

Banned
Greatest year for sequels ever!

That said, all the big name games that are coming out are from extremely proven franchises, each game worthy of GotY title in most any other year. It's going to be absolutely killer.

Rhindle

I'm not sure how 2004 can be greater than say 2001, given that the big titles coming out this year are all sequels of 2001 games.

hobart

I think there is enough to choose from (back on) that will not make gamers disappointed.

Like if say, GTA3 is a disappointment you'll hear... well at least MGS3 was great! (or vice versa).

There is a lot of choice before the year's end. It's great.

Brofist

Even if there are a couple flops in there, there is no way this holiday season will be a disappointment...none

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I doubt this year is more predictable than previous years, or even upcoming years. Depends on how you look at it. But there will always be sequels, next year too. But a sequel doesn't have to mean it's predictable or tired IMO. Far from it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rhindle said:
I'm not sure how 2004 can be greater than say 2001, given that the big titles coming out this year are all sequels of 2001 games.
I have little doubt MGS3 will be better than the train wreck that MGS2 became. Halo 2 looks to be better in almost every sense. San Andreas looks like it will be tons of fun as usual. And then you have all the games that aren't sequels of 2001 games, like Half Life 2, Metroid Prime 2, Paper Mario, Mario Power Tennis, Shin Megami Tensei, Baten Kaitos, and so on and so on and so on.

Oh yeah, and there's at least one new system launching domestically and perhaps as many as two launching in Japan. All those games PLUS new hardware launches = easily the best holiday season ever (esp. in terms of quantity).

Rhindle

MetatronM said:
I have little doubt MGS3 will be better than the train wreck that MGS2 became. Halo 2 looks to be better in almost every sense. San Andreas looks like it will be tons of fun as usual. And then you have all the games that aren't sequels of 2001 games, like Half Life 2, Metroid Prime 2, Paper Mario, Mario Power Tennis, Shin Megami Tensei, Baten Kaitos, and so on and so on and so on.

Oh yeah, and there's at least one new system launching domestically and perhaps as many as two launching in Japan. All those games PLUS new hardware launches = easily the best holiday season ever (esp. in terms of quantity).
The 2004 sequels will all be much improved over the 2001 orginals, I'm sure. But if you're talking about which will be the greater year for gaming, you have to look at which games will have a greater impact in their own time. I doubt that playing the 2004 versions will be the same seminal experience you had playing GTA3 or Halo for the first time.

As far as hardware launches, I'll take the Xbox and Gamecube launches over Nintendoods any day, thanks. :)

shpankey

not an idiot
we are in the prime of this generation of consoles. this is when the hardware has been figured out for the most part, and devs learn sweet tricks and neat implementations. the devs can now comfortably concentrate on making a better game rather than learning how to program for it.

this end of 2005 and start to middle of 2005 is hands down going to be the greatest time in gaming in the history of gaming. we got the mature zelda, we got the master chief, we got conker, we got solid snake, we got wanda and the collosus, we got mario, two new handhelds... ::faints::

Future

I'd say probably the biggest complete year ever. PC had some monster releases in the summer/early fall with Sims 2 and Doom3. And Ninja Gaiden, with the Hurricane Packs and all, IMO is still a major contender for GOTY. Got one of the most unique games ever since Jet Set Radio in Katamari Damacy. This year was awesome

Top Bottom