• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA:SA ORDERS TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040817/retail_gamestop_earns_4.html

THIRD QUARTER STRONG ON 'MADDEN'

The company said it expects to earn between 20 cents and 21 cents per share for the third quarter, on a rise in comparable-store sales of 4 percent to 6 percent. For the full year its earnings per share will range from $1.20 to $1.24.

Analysts polled by Reuters Estimates on average expect the company to earn 21 cents per share for the third quarter.

For the third quarter, the company said its biggest game will be EA's "Madden NFL 2005," which after one week of sales is already one of GameStop's top sellers ever.

On a conference call, GameStop executives also said they expected pre-release reservations for the new game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" to be "significantly higher" than they were for "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" in 2002.

"Vice City," from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (NasdaqNM:TTWO - News), was the best-selling game of 2002 and ranks as one of the top sellers of all time.

SyNapSe

sonycowboy said:
pre-release reservations for the new game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" to be "significantly higher" than they were for "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" in 2002.

Whoa. That would be crazy! Didin't it have millions in preorders?

DMczaf

For the third quarter, the company said its biggest game will be EA's "Madden NFL 2005," which after one week of sales is already one of GameStop's top sellers ever.

ESPN taking food out of John Madden's grandchildren's mouths :(

Last time, TTWO purposely shorted shipments of GTA:VC so that they could book the remaining sales into their new fiscal year. Fortunately, there were only 5 days left in October. This year, there will be 12 days. If they do the same, it might be hard to get for the first couple of weeks.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably due in part to people like this ass ASM at my gamestop who claims that if you don't pre-order you have to wait for the second shipment in January 2005 :rolleyes:

Unless rockstar is retarded this is not grounded in truth.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Way back when I was working the rounds as a game store clerk I was able to partake in the Vice City insanity. Now Miami is considered a "ghetto" town and that seems to go hand in hand with the GTA series so preorders were fucking ASTRONOMICAL for this game. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the same thing happened or even on a larger scale for this game.

Alcibiades

sonycowboy said:
Last time, TTWO purposely shorted shipments of GTA:VC so that they could book the remaining sales into their new fiscal year. Fortunately, there were only 5 days left in October. This year, there will be 12 days. If they do the same, it might be hard to get for the first couple of weeks.

I don't remember that, in fact, I can't remember too many sold-out situations with this game, stores had supposedly ordered 2 million for their initial shipments, and this was the one game that holiday season that wouldn't be out of stock (at least I remember seeing plenty of copies at Target, Wal-Mart, etc...)

bunkum

efralope said:
I don't remember that, in fact, I can't remember too many sold-out situations with this game, stores had supposedly ordered 2 million for their initial shipments, and this was the one game that holiday season that wouldn't be out of stock (at least I remember seeing plenty of copies at Target, Wal-Mart, etc...)

SC is correct, it was all down too massaging results, and it will happen again although with recent dissapointing quarters they may have a larger ship than last time. On the other hand last time they moved the PAL release out of October quarter and to date SA is still showing October release in PAL.

efralope said:

As I said, it wasn't a real problem last time. TTWO purposely only shipped 1.5 million units in October for over 4 million preorders. 1.5 million is a crapload for 5 days, 4 with many stores not getting it till the day after.

If you remember, the sales for GTA:VC were really interesting in 2002

Oct 1.5 million
Nov 1.5 million
Dec 1.5 million

Now, the issue with TTWO then was that they had their fiscal year made and didn't need to book any more sales to that fiscal year. This year, they've been beat up pretty bad, although interestingly enough, ESPN may be one of their saving graces and may allow them to do something similar.

Alcibiades

oh, well, maybe since it was 5 days it wasn't too noticable then, but if they run out in 3-5 days in Ocotober, 7 days are going to make a serious impact if they don't ship enough, but at the same time, it may drive up consumer and media interest to record levels (not that they can get much higher than in recent years), kinda like Nintendo had liked doing by not shipping enough hardware...

edit: yeah, I knew it was either 2 million or 4 million pre-orders, but I didn't know they had only shipped a certain amount first...

that's a very clever idea then, especially with a game as anticipated as Vice City, they could basically manage the early days of mad rushing to get the game...

evil ways

I'm gonna pre-order it by next month for sure, but last time with Vice City I wasted nearly 20 alone with the person at the cashier looking for pre-order slips, and that's not counting standing on the line.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Listen man

It's not a black/white thing
It's not a Sony/Xbox thing
It's a "San Andreas is coming to stomp a mudhole in all your asses" thing!

bishoptl said:
It's a "San Andreas is coming to stomp a mudhole in all your asses" thing!

And it AIN'T using vaseline!
ice-cube.jpg

YEAHIE YEAHIE!

Ranger X

Prediction: Rockstar will not be able to produce enough copies. No GTA SA between October 23 and the second or third week of November. Buy now.

I was amused with GTA 3, but it ended there. Maybe I'm the only one who is not one bit excited for the GTA series. I really can't stand the ghettoness of the GTA series.

*shrugs*

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mrbob said:
Until this soldier steps into the arena:

halo_21b.jpg

Halo 2 is going to get slaughtered. I'll happily eat my non existent hat if I'm wrong, but I don't see it selling near that of GTA:SA.

Lukas

Banned
WHy not? Halo 2 has over 1 million preorders, is the most anticipated game on any console, and is coming out closer to the holiday season.

Plus look at these numbers

Halo - close to 4 million in America alone with a 10 million userbase
GTA Vice - close to 7 million in America alone with a 24 million userbase

I predict Halo 2 and San Andreas to be close in sales, but Halo 2 selling more ratio wise based on installed base.

cvxfreak

Lukas said:
GTA Vice - close to 9 million in America alone with a 24 million userbase

If you're talking JUST the PS2 version in America, then it's closer to 7 Million than 9 Million, probably at 6.5 Million and 7.5 Million with the Xbox version and another million or so for PC.

Lukas

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
If you're talking JUST the PS2 version in America, then it's closer to 7 Million than 9 Million, probably at 6.5 Million and 7.5 Million with the Xbox version and another million or so for PC.

fixed =P

looking at those numbers now actually wouldnt suprise me if Halo 2 outsells GTA SA overall

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Halo 2 has 1 million preorders... at EB Games. Now start to imagine all the other chains then add them together.

Meier

God I still cant believe anyone is saying Halo 2 will outsell San Andreas. Stop being idiots -- it isn't even fucking possible. It reminds me of JediMike continually saying that Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire wouldn't sell well since Yu-gi-oh! was the "it" card game with kids while the voice of reason, myself, indicated it would only be challenged by Madden last year... which of course went on to be true and they've now sold almost 4.1 million copies total.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That's why I find it amusing. The naysayers were downplaying the significance of Vice City before it shipped, claiming that it would barely reach the same sales of GTA 3 - if that.

Then it promptly slaughtered everything on the market on all consoles, including its predecessor.

So that's why I laughed.

Top Bottom