• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Hmm. Will probably leave campus earlier today at 7:30 EST maybe so I can jump in on this.

Just using EST since this is what we're going by. It's not EST where I am at all.

Edit: Need some path in HotW for completion. Not sure which path it is.

Oh, very cool.

Note that I am totally dungeon agnostic for tonight- if any of you actually need the tokens for something specific we'll go there first. I'm in this for tokens in general and mostly, for the cash. I'll be seriously emptying out my inventory beforehand.

Mumble is highly requested (no mic needed, just to listen at least), pace will be fast. :)

Speaking of which, when I tried to connect to mumble it gave me a connection denied error. I'll have to try again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm. Will probably leave campus earlier today at 7:30 EST maybe so I can jump in on this.

Just using EST since this is what we're going by. It's not EST where I am at all.

Edit: Need some path in HotW for completion. Not sure which path it is.
What time is it there? :p I have no idea where you rascals are all at.

I'd be happy to do all three HotW paths, it's actually my second favorite dungeon :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh, very cool.

Note that I am totally dungeon agnostic for tonight- if any of you actually need the tokens for something specific we'll go there first. I'm in this for tokens in general and mostly, for the cash. I'll be seriously emptying out my inventory beforehand.

Mumble is highly requested (no mic needed, just to listen at least), pace will be fast. :)

Mumble is so good. <3

I probably should go discover the waypoints by all the dungeons, too. That would be SUPER helpful.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Have never done TA or HotW - Story & Exp.

Of course, it's the two dungeons with crit/tough/cond armor. Well, there's always Orr!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After work plan:

1) Get Waypoints thanks to your list Hawkian
2) Hit 80
3) Put runes in new Berserker gear
4) Get beer
5) GOGOGOGO

PS - If animlboogy is reading this thread, I know he loves dungeon runs. He'd be down on his engi I'm sure.

etiolate

Banned
My biggest frustration with dungeons thus far has been the huge damage spikes. I'm a Mesmer and it seems like if I don't build for toughness I get one or two shotted down constantly. Especially on enemies like Alpha where he does massive AoE that requires a very well timed dodge to avoid. Some of my issues are definitely just about learning the dungeons because I've only run a handful of them and only a few times. At this point the low survivability of my shatter build is basically making rethink it. I am hoping that once I get a little more gear my DPS will be enough to make up for it. I'm almost done with my full berserker set.

The AOE one shots everyone. Just worry about saving your dodge for it. The vigor on crit trait makes a big difference for Alpha.

Alwyas bring blink and staff for when he does the crystal prisons.

The AOE one shots everyone. Just worry about saving your dodge for it. The vigor on crit trait makes a big difference for Alpha.

Alwyas bring blink and staff for when he does the crystal prisons.

Yeah, when I first got hit with that I had no clue what to do, but shortly learned you could Phase Retreat out of it. I always forget that Phase Retreat breaks CC

Fishious

Man, I hadn't read anything in this thread since the ascended armor/infusions reveals and I have to say that was an interesting read. Just to put my opinion out there, I don't feel like the miniscule stat increase makes much of a difference and I'm not even that worried about the agony thing. To put it simply, we don't know enough about how agony, infusions, and the fractals work to make an informed judgement. That being said I've been thinking on how things might work using what little info we do have.

We know there are 3 different types of infusions: offensive, defensive, and omni. Offensive infusions can only be used on ascended armor with an offensive infusion slot. Same for defensive. The only thing known about omni infusions is that they may be slotted into either type. Presumably omni infusions will be split between offensive and defensive infusion functions, though they might surprise us with unique functions. It's worth mentioning that we don't actually know what any of the functions of the infusions are.

I think part of the doom and gloom that has people so pissed off at Anet is that we are making so many assumptions. We assume that defensive infusions provide some form of mitigation vs agony (maybe outright reducing the damage). This along with the assumption that the damage/duration/something from agony will continue to scale up with the fractal difficulty means eventually the player will hit a wall where without infusions the player is stuck. Essentially a gear check to proceed. These assumptions and concerns likely stem from the following lines from the unveil:

"Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge."

So the question then is how do infusions actually function. Do all infusions offer agony resistance? Or just defensive with omni offering a lesser amount? If the first is true then what effect do defensive infusions have? If the second is true, then offensive infusions (and thus offensive ascended armor) is useless after a certain point when agony damage starts picking up. I doubt Anet overlooked such an obvious eventuality.

It's also worth noting that the prior quote says:

"...Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must."

Because of the part that follows, we jump to the conclusion that infusions are the only way to mitigate the effect, but the above line states some defense is a must. It may be possible to survive through other means (though it's unlikely any other effects will outright nullify it.)

So basically I wrote all that just to say we don't actually know anything. Somehow typing all this seems less worthwhile now.

Not yet, and it likely won't make it into this next patch either. That's what comes of making it browser based, but hopefully they'll have something for us soon.

I'm hoping they add a way to mix-match armor pieces. Gw2armor.com does it job (except for some of the garish dye jobs), but they only have sets.

KingKong

I'm hoping they add a way to mix-match armor pieces. Gw2armor.com does it job (except for some of the garish dye jobs), but they only have sets.

Oh nice, Gw2armor updated with a bunch of non dungeon/cultural stuff, that's all I need to just buy it on the trading post and transmog

Hmm heavy priory looks alright for 8 gold for the full set

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pro-tip: using links from gw2spidy or gw2db (whisper them to yourself), you can preview a full custom armor and weapon set. If you switch up your dyes before starting to preview you can ever see exactly how you would want it to look.

edit:

To clarify, I mean do this:
/w Hawkian the Blade [&AgEWGAAA]

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd like to run CoE 3, since I've yet too. Of course along with 1 and 2 if possible.
Hell yes. I'd love to do all three paths and test my Alpha skills with my new armor set/build.

We'll need more all-stars for the Prototype Asshole Destroyer (or whatever) in path 3. It's actually a pretty quick room that can go horribly awry without coordination.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man why does Cultural tier 3 have to be so expensive? It looks awesome (http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/c3/heavy/front.jpg) but 110 gold? nothx

tier 1 is 3 gold, tier 2 is 7 gold so that's just crazy
While at first I found it outrageous as well, now I hope they never change it. It makes a full set of Tier 3 armor something very, very rare to strive for. it's a similar ordeal to saving up for a precursor in my opinion, but much more noticeable and prominent in payoff.

The Norn cultural armor is hot. Made me very glad I used my last character slot for one.

yeah I guess, it's just a bummer since I know I'm never going to get that much without spending money (which I wont)

Also, man I wish I was a light class, this armor is so cool looking:
http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/arah/light/front.jpg
http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/cof/light/front.jpg
http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/k2/light/front.jpg

I haven't spent a single dungeon token because I hated nearly all the heavy armor dungeon sets. Oh well, something to work on if I stop being lazy and level my alts.

Pro-tip: using links from gw2spidy or gw2db (whisper them to yourself), you can preview a full custom armor and weapon set. If you switch up your dyes before starting to preview you can ever see exactly how you would want it to look.

edit:

To clarify, I mean do this:

Interesting, I want to preview some stuff but I could never find the links for it so I never bothered.

Retro

I haven't spent a single dungeon token because I hated nearly all the heavy armor dungeon sets. Oh well, something to work on if I stop being lazy and level my alts.

The Caudecus Manor stuff is halfway decent (seen here), and the Honor of the Waves set looks vaguely like Samurai armor (pictures on all races here). You can always buy them for the stats and transmute different looks over them. There's also some decent weapons too, remember.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If nothing else, unused dungeon tokens are a solid way to get your exotic underwater weapons :p

Interesting, I want to preview some stuff but I could never find the links for it so I never bothered.
gw2db has basically everything. If it's on the TP, spidy has it as well. It's really fun to mix and match and FAR superior to gw2armor (it can't even SHOW you the CoF med shoulders for one example).

Wallach

Generally I agree but what on earth could you be talking about with CoF1? I can't think of a single encounter that isn't essentially squishified on that run, and it's the fastest one in the game by far. Nothing in that path needs to be made easier :p

Nicoga, the Kholer fight is quite a bit more fun if you're a mesmer. ;) Also I quite like the Trohler deathmatch potential though the Troll is a decent target for one of those HP tax hikes.

CoF 1 is definitely too easy, but the final boss still has more health than most encounters because of his constant regen. The stupid thing has like two attacks, and the regen isn't used in any kind of mechanic that makes it a stressing factor, it literally was just added to make the fight even longer. Right now it is actually more efficient to just poison him and ignore the spikes altogether because he can only put a certain amount of them into play.

Healing on boss design needs to be used in a way that the healing factor (or the source of the healing) is the element that makes the fight dangerous so players actually need to counter it. What I would do to that CoF boss for example is cut his health in half, double the regen, remove the cap on the number of spikes he drops, and make the spikes fire chain together and drop fire in their drop-field AoE if players let them accumulate.

KingKong

Lol I logged on to see how much karma I had and its 21k and I thought not bad, the exotic karma armor is 42k..... until I realized thats 42k per piece

wtf Anet, who the hell is going to grind that much karma

leng jai

Lol I logged on to see how much karma I had and its 21k and I thought not bad, the exotic karma armor is 42k..... until I realized thats 42k per piece

You get 4500 karma for doing your dailies. Stick a booster on and it's 7000k. Monthly gives you 10 times that amount.

Yeah, definitely not going to do that just for nicer looking armor. B&S's system seems much better where you can get awesome outfits just doing quests and stuff.

KuroNeeko

I hate my alt-itis.

I need to settle on a character and get past the 20s. =|

Seriously;D I have two characters in their 20s and one in her 30s. Just can't settle down on one class.

Speaking of class, I'd love to see another chart breaking down class / race / professions among players like the one we had near launch. I feel like I've been seeing more Mesmers and fewer Warriors running around. I almost always pick the least played classes in MMOs just because I'm stupid. (Mesmer, Engineer, Necro mains right now.)

Is there some kind of Census website that tracks all of that information or do we just have to wait for Anet to make it available?

Also was sad to see that I had transferred off SB awhile ago. I think it was before I got in the GAF when I was still in the pretty-much empty Overflowrce. I've been trying to get back in, but the server has been full even during non-prime time hours. :p Sorry to Seda for calling him/her out to Kessex Hills only to discover we couldn't party. :/

Proven

The previous info posted said there's a merchant at the hub. So you can sell after 3 fractals; each time you are back at the hub.
True, but you still can't use that gold to increase your chances at the run until you leave. No mystic forge or whatever, although you could get a rare drop.

At the same time, if a group was just mailing things to an outside party as they went through, you could conceivably go pretty far...

Having almost zero experience with dungeons so far, jumping into them seems a bit daunting. I did story modes for AC, CM, and TA while leveling, and one CM explorable while still leveling, and the difficulty seemed pretty high. Now everyone's been running them like crazy and I'm sure I'll make noob mistakes if I start doing runs. I don't even know if my gear/spec will do alright. Seems like the new dungeon is going to be a big part of the new content though and I don't want to miss out.

Having almost zero experience with dungeons so far, jumping into them seems a bit daunting. I did story modes for AC, CM, and TA while leveling, and one CM explorable while still leveling, and the difficulty seemed pretty high. Now everyone's been running them like crazy and I'm sure I'll make noob mistakes if I start doing runs. I don't even know if my gear/spec will do alright. Seems like the new dungeon is going to be a big part of the new content though and I don't want to miss out.

Most of the dungeons don't have overly difficult mechanics when compared to something like WoW's dungeons. The only difficult part is when half your pug decides to run past mobs but not tell the other half.

As for spec, really just run what you like, generally bringing at least 1 conditional removal of some sort. Making an ideal spec really only works when you run with a set group, and you know exactly what you can play off of. Running pugs who knows what everyone is using.

Don't worry about it too much, after a couple runs you have it down.

Is CoF1 really that simple? My guild and I run AC2 and HoTW1 every night and are looking to get another dungeon into our rotation.

Yes it takes about 20-25 minutes if everyone knows the straight-forward path and how well your gate-keeper person is. I think my fastest time in CoF path 1 was around 15 minutes last night.

KuroNeeko

Did Howler King for the first time today playing a Glamor-heavy Mesmer. Oh man was Kohler a pain the ass. I was very surprised by the amount of experience you get - almost one full level's worth.

I did get 60 tokens for AsCat. Now if I run AsCat again today, does that mean I get docked or is it only if I run the same path?

Interested in trying out a Shatter build for more mass damage, but don't think I have the traits yet at level 38:(

Feeling more and more like Mesmer is going to be my main unless this next patch does some really crazy stuff for Engineers.

etiolate

Banned
Seriously;D I have two characters in their 20s and one in her 30s. Just can't settle down on one class.

Speaking of class, I'd love to see another chart breaking down class / race / professions among players like the one we had near launch. I feel like I've been seeing more Mesmers and fewer Warriors running around. I almost always pick the least played classes in MMOs just because I'm stupid. (Mesmer, Engineer, Necro mains right now.)

Is there some kind of Census website that tracks all of that information or do we just have to wait for Anet to make it available?

Also was sad to see that I had transferred off SB awhile ago. I think it was before I got in the GAF when I was still in the pretty-much empty Overflowrce. I've been trying to get back in, but the server has been full even during non-prime time hours. :p Sorry to Seda for calling him/her out to Kessex Hills only to discover we couldn't party. :/

I imagine the demographics are pretty much the same with an increase in Mesmers due to being the wvwvw/pvp FOTM.

I'd offer to dungeon with you guys on my level 35 Engineer, but I don't think dungeoning across server works yet either.

I imagine the demographics are pretty much the same with an increase in Mesmers due to being the wvwvw/pvp FOTM.

I'd offer to dungeon with you guys on my level 35 Engineer, but I don't think dungeoning across server works yet either.

It does, I ran dungeons with some SBI people the other night and I'm on JQ.

KuroNeeko

I did the mini-Halloween dungeon with other GAFfers, despite being on Tarnished Coast. It might work;D

edit: Oh, beaten by Disheveled_Zen

Proven

Did Howler King for the first time today playing a Glamor-heavy Mesmer. Oh man was Kohler a pain the ass. I was very surprised by the amount of experience you get - almost one full level's worth.

I did get 60 tokens for AsCat. Now if I run AsCat again today, does that mean I get docked or is it only if I run the same path?

Interested in trying out a Shatter build for more mass damage, but don't think I have the traits yet at level 38:(

Feeling more and more like Mesmer is going to be my main unless this next patch does some really crazy stuff for Engineers.

The first time you do an explorable route for the day (resetting with your dailies) you get 60 tokens. That means if you do every route of a single dungeon, you'll come out with 180 tokens. Everytime you do the route after that, you get docked 30 or 40 tokens.

And unfortunately, running story mode doesn't give you any tokens. That's something I think they're changing with the next patch though.

Ashodin

Hawkian please give me an outline of the exploit in HOTW. Because I just took a group through there and I feel bad that they didn't get any tokens for killing the bosses.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Outstanding runs tonight guys. Especially considering the learning curve we did amazingly well.

edit: Ash there's this: http://imgur.com/a/FzJXx what to do after you kill Sorge

But it's weird that the Sorge the Zealout event didn't trigger. I'd have to have been there :

Ashodin

sUUDN.jpg

WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom