• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have to run an errand, but then, it's fractals time! I honestly can't think of a single fractal I don't like!

I do hope, however, that they add a few mechanics to them as difficulty goes up. We have basically figured every boss down to a simple routine execution (for the most part...some fights are a LITTLE more strenuous than others).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Are you guys still kicking people out of the guild? Meh.

Not the time for me to join yet, I guess.

Retro

Message Professor Retro

They are online right now, just invited me back in.

Erm, I jumped off to finish eating, but there should be other officers online; Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, or Wallach.

Are you guys still kicking people out of the guild? Meh.

Not the time for me to join yet, I guess.

EU-GAF disbanded and has been slowly merging into the SBI community, and we anticipated more players due to the first major Content push and Refer-a-Friend. We were at 450-something members, but only 50-60 of those were actually active. So we did another culling and got it down to about 200 members.

As always, if you were kicked, it's nothing personal and all you need to do is ask to get re-invited. Nobody did anything wrong, we just try to make sure we have room for the regularly active players as opposed to a guild full of people who never log on and a bunch of active players stuck in the Overflow Guild.

Levyne

Banned
What are you running on ranger if you don't mind me asking. Got mine to 80 and haven't used her much because I can't seem to put together a build that seems solid in a group.

Beastmaster/Marksman. I don't remember how I set everything up, but I have traits set up that allow my arrows to pierce all enemies (actually half decent "aoe"), pets have natural regen and do more damage/conditons on criticals, trait that makes me share signet buffs with pets, often keep the wild signet passive that gives me and pet regen, swapping out pets gives me quickness and the pet might.

Proven

For the Vaithan Lake part of the Miyani Quest, you only need to click on a crate because its still bugged. An ANet compromise, I'm sure.

th3dude

Erm, I jumped off to finish eating, but there should be other officers online; Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, or Wallach.

EU-GAF disbanded and has been slowly merging into the SBI community, and we anticipated more players due to the first major Content push and Refer-a-Friend. We were at 450-something members, but only 50-60 of those were actually active. So we did another culling and got it down to about 200 members.

As always, if you were kicked, it's nothing personal and all you need to do is ask to get re-invited. Nobody did anything wrong, we just try to make sure we have room for the regularly active players as opposed to a guild full of people who never log on and a bunch of active players stuck in the Overflow Guild.

My bad :)

Brazil

I see, I see. I'm thinking about joining you guys now that I've no interest in WoW anymore.

I'm still a huge GW2 noob, though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We had some good times yesterday! The great lava rescue of 2012!

Hahahaha man, that was ridiculous. I gotta say though - despite the lava hilarity, our group was sick. In fact, all of the folks I've run with so far have been amazing. Execution has been tight, communication good, and all around great teamwork.

PS - mumble makes a world of difference. Even if you can't talk, the ability to listen changes everything. Everyone who runs these with guild should really have Mumble installed...

Beastmaster/Marksman. I don't remember how I set everything up, but I have traits set up that allow my arrows to pierce all enemies (actually half decent "aoe"), pets have natural regen and do more damage/conditons on criticals, trait that makes me share signet buffs with pets, often keep the wild signet passive that gives me and pet regen, swapping out pets gives me quickness and the pet might.

Thanks, I haven't checked out beastmaster yet, I'll give it a lookover.

Retro

No worries, I didn't even say goodbye or anything. =p

I see, I see. I'm thinking about joining you guys now that I've no interest in WoW anymore.

I'm still a huge GW2 noob, though.

Basic Tips:
1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the "Paladin"-like class) have ranged weapons, Rangers are good in melee, etc.

2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.

3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is nearby, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles). It also nets you some money and goodies.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack.

10. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, Professor Retro or Wallach.

11. We also use Mumble; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

Brazil

Helpful tips.

Oh, no! I have a level 80 character, haha.

What I meant is that I'm a complete noob in terms of endgame content. In fact, I've only completed a single dungeon. With randoms. And it was a terrible experience.

But thanks for that anyway. The fact that you guys try to help the newbies ITT goes a long way to show that the GAF guild is good stuff.

Giard

So uhhh, where is this event?

If I'm understanding correctly, you need a map to Southsun Cove. To get the map, you find a soggy bag in cargo on Lion's Arch beach, then you go talk to someone from the Consortium, who'll give you a map piece. Take that map piece to Hanto's Trading Post in Caledon Forest... and I don't know the rest because it's bugged, and can't continue.

edit: Now I'm reading that it actually starts at Lion's Arch, it's just late/bugged. What I was talking about is either phase 1 or 2 of the event, not sure.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If I'm understanding correctly, you need a map to Southsun Cove. To get the map, you find a soggy bag in cargo on Lion's Arch beach, then you go talk to someone from the Consortium, who'll give you a map piece. Take that map piece to Hanto's Trading Post in Caledon Forest... and I don't know the rest because it's bugged, and can't continue.

Good job Anet

Giard

Now I'm reading that it might be an Overflow problem. If you're in an Overflow at LA, the event has not started.

I'm happy I didn't invite friends for a free trial run. "Have you checked out the bugged one-time quests?"

wait, you need that stuff to get to the new zone?

or is that just going to be open? if so, when?

Looks like no one's sure. ANet is not answering on their forums.

From their twitter:

4s Guild Wars 2 ‏@GuildWars2
Note: Catapult completion time may vary a bit between overflows. ~RB2

45s Guild Wars 2 ‏@GuildWars2
Keep an eye on the area around Fort Marriner waypoint–the event will kick off when construction is complete on the catapults. ~RB2 #GW2

Retro

What I meant is that I'm a complete noob in terms of endgame content. In fact, I've only completed a single dungeon. With randoms. And it was a terrible experience.

Ah, gotcha. You just said "huge GW2 noob". 80 stuff is dungeon runs, world completion, WvW... and they just added a new 'infinite' dungeon, as you may have heard. They're also planning a massive expansion-sized content push in January.

Easy there PRetro. I wouldn't go as far as to say us Guardians have 'RANGED' weapons. We have a long stick and a little stick. There range is limited.

Limited?
Scepter: Orb of Wrath and Smite: 1200, Chains of Wrath: 900
Staff: Orb of Light, Symbol of Swiftness, Line of Warding: 1200
Focus: Ray of Judgement: 1200

Compare that to the Warrior's Rifle or Ranger's Longbow (both 1200). Guardians have range, even more now that Orb of Light's travel speed was buffed way up. And knowing things now equals PR speak?

Giard

Confirmed: The event is starting soon in Lion's Arch in the walled area to the left of Fort Marriner. There should be workers working on a catapult. Not sure if you need the Map Fragment at some point.

Ah, gotcha. You just said "huge GW2 noob". 80 stuff is dungeon runs, world completion, WvW... and they just added a new 'infinite' dungeon, as you may have heard. They're also planning a massive expansion-sized content push in January.

Limited?
Scepter: Orb of Wrath and Smite: 1200, Chains of Wrath: 900
Staff: Orb of Light, Symbol of Swiftness, Line of Warding: 1200
Focus: Ray of Judgement: 1200

Compare that to the Warrior's Rifle or Ranger's Longbow (both 1200). Guardians have range, even more now that Orb of Light's travel speed was buffed way up. And knowing things now equals PR speak?

OK, now you're giving a little more info, instead of vague suggestions (which is akin to PR speak strangely enough).

SO each of those weapons have 1 Ranged ATTACK. Which is terrible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's open here too, yet the one-time event never happened in LA...not sure if we should continue waiting for the trebuchet/catapult or just go directly to Southsun Cove.
Up to you, the event was still just starting in our overflow too, but we just went over to Southsun

Giard

Up to you, the event was still just starting in our overflow too, but we just went over to Southsun

Yeah, some say it's intentionally delayed to prevent lag, but I'm not believing it.

Catapult is done building over here, event has finally started. But since everyone went away because nothing was happening, we're getting massacred.

Varna

Haven't played in months. Gotta say the smaller population has definitely made events more challenging. Some of them are quiet brutal with only a couple of people around. But at least it feels like you are contributing something now.

nataku

I really wish they would have told us the taking of Southsun Cove was a one time event. I skipped out on going to the cove in order to see the event in LA, but it took over an hour for the trebuchet to complete on my overflow server. After it was done I went to try the bugged NPCs like Canach, who is STILL bugged, and then went to eat because I assumed the Cove was just a series of repeating DEs.

I get back only to find out the cove was a one time event was pretty much over.

This entire thing has been a clusterfuck. So many bugged events and problems with it.

yep so we got our ass kicked some Fractals event, didn't manage to find another group for an hour so i left and went to that Cove/beach instead... Beautiful for sure! Sucks that mobs are pretty hard hitting if you're below 80 though and what is there to do there actually besides some DEs? hmm maybe i'm blind and didn't see the obvious dunno.

Also: After this event will this area be 80 ONLY or will we be scaled like we are now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom