• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There's an event going on for something, I'm level 16 can I get in on it?

How do I start it?

I started the nord 15-25 level but I lost all interest

If it isn't over in your server yet, yes. You gotta head to the docks in Lion's Arch and go to the new area, then meet the zerg there.

It's probably over already, though.

Ephidel

Overflows are servers where they put all the people who won't fit on their regular servers because too many people are already in the zone.

Yes, you can get in on it, because the event scales you up to 80 for your time on the Island, but with only level 16 skills it might be on the hard side. There's a boat in Lion's Arch near the Sanctum Harbour Waypoint that will take you there :)

Whether or not they'll still be fighting the main boss of the event when you get there though depends on how long the event is taking in that overflow - it already ended on mine.
You could still explore the island though. Just be aware that stuff here hits hard. Singles and the occasional double can be soloed, anything else you're best trying to tag along with some other people for :)

Levyne

Banned
i9Yj0ZCvBsxCe.jpg

iqDjIWB15qzJz.jpg

izCwcSGfARaqW.jpg

iAjtbPZ2utPFn.jpg

Yay

Wait, a missed a chance at a 20-slot bag?

...Who's the bloody moron who decided that putting such a reward for a one-off event was a good idea?

Brazil

Oh, yeah, sure it's nice for the people WHO WERE THERE...

Damnit. Too angry. Logging off now.

Well, they've been advertising it as a one-time event for weeks. It sucks that you couldn't/didn't want to be there, but... It's how it is. You gotta put in the effort to get the rewards.

Run-M-Run

I'm loving how login servers and insane lag made me almost miss the chest. I know people who completely missed the whole thing because of those. Complete bullshit from Anet to have it as 1 time event and not prepping servers right.
¨
Well, they've been advertising it as a one-time event for weeks. It sucks that you couldn't/didn't want to be there, but... It's how it is. You gotta put in the effort to get the rewards.

You're missing the point as the login servers and lag made people miss this shit. It's not fair, it's not the name of the game in this case. Think about it. Stop pretending it's all good just because YOU got it.

Brazil

You're missing the point as the login servers and lag made people miss this shit. It's not fair, it's not the name of the game in this case. Think about it. Stop pretending it's all good just because YOU got it.

Wow, wow, chill, man. I didn't know you guys couldn't log into the game. Everything went smoothly for me and my friends, and I don't have the habit of going into the official forums.

zon

I got a precursor! I can hear the gold coins trickling into my pockets already. And I had over 21 gold waiting at the TP already so my sales has been doing fine too. :)

I won't be surprised if there are at least 10 new copies for every precursor after this event though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I got a precursor! I can hear the gold coins trickling into my pockets already. And I had over 21 gold waiting at the TP already so my sales has been doing fine too. :)

I won't be surprised if there are at least 10 new copies for every precursor after this event though.

Which one did you get? All the precursors (and all exotics) have plummeted in price after the event.

Well, no, I have several problems with this:

1. I had no idea they were going to give out rewards as substantial as a 20-slot chest. That alone changes things immensely. Edit: AND LEGENDARY PRECURSORS?! REALLY?! OH I AM RAGING NOW, GODDAMMIT!
2. ALL of the previous phases of the event have been underwhelming lagfests. I had no reason to believe this one would suddenly be any different.
3. As the gentleman above me mentioned, many players were DC'd at the end and couldn't arrive in time to score their chest, leaving them with a large repair bill and nothing to show for it.

Also, the monsters in the new zone are awful. The Reef Drakes in particular do several times more damage than any non-Veteran enemy in the game. What were they thinking?!

leng jai

It is a bit annoying I lagged through the first two days of the events and got jack crap while something good comes up when I can't play. Tough titties I guess.

zon

Which one did you get? All the precursors (and all exotics) have plummeted in price after the event.

I got the shortbow one. The clever players will buy them now while the price is plummeting and wait for a while until the prices go up again. I'm certain they will. The demand for precursor items far outweigh the supply.

Hell it might be worth it to buy regular exotics too if their prices has fallen far enough.

zon

Well, no, I have several problems with this:

1. I had no idea they were going to give out rewards as substantial as a 20-slot chest. That alone changes things immensely. Edit: AND LEGENDARY PRECURSORS?! REALLY?! OH I AM RAGING NOW, GODDAMMIT!
2. ALL of the previous phases of the event have been underwhelming lagfests. I had no reason to believe this one would suddenly be any different.
3. As the gentleman above me mentioned, many players were DC'd at the end and couldn't arrive in time to score their chest, leaving them with a large repair bill and nothing to show for it.

Also, the monsters in the new zone are awful. The Reef Drakes in particular do several times more damage than any non-Veteran enemy in the game. What were they thinking?!

And you thought those of us who participated knew what the rewards were? It's a gamble you make, and those of us who participated won this time. Some more than others. And claiming 20 slot packs to be substantial, well I can't agree with that. I got a whole two slot increase in my backpack because of it.

Divvy

I got the shortbow one. The clever players will buy them now while the price is plummeting and wait for a while until the prices go up again. I'm certain they will. The demand for precursor items far outweigh the supply.

Hell it might be worth it to buy regular exotics too if their prices has fallen far enough.

Nice. I would buy Dusk now but I don't have enough money atm. I am however buying cheap exotics right now and tossing them into the forge for something better.

To be fair, Anet did mention that they scheduled this event on Sunday afternoon-evening (NA time), so that the majority of people could participate.

Lesson I guess is if there's a one-time event that's on a Sunday, chances are that's the one where you get the good stuff.

Durante

I understand the people who are upset -- I'd probably be as well if I couldn't participate. But there's a clear tradeoff to be made here. Being a one-time, unique event makes it special in a way that a repeatable event just can't match. I think it's worth it, and I hope they do more in the future.

Oh, and someone in our group found Dusk.
Asshat.

zon

Nice. I would buy Dusk now but I don't have enough money atm. I am however buying cheap exotics right now and tossing them into the forge for something better.

Good luck with that, I might have tried something similar but TP was down for me and everyone else on my overflow server. What are the exotics at right now? 30 silver?

And you thought those of us who participated knew what the rewards were? It's a gamble you make, and those of us who participated won this time. Some more than others. And claiming 20 slot packs to be substantial, well I can't agree with that. I got a whole two slot increase in my backpack because of it.
No, they could very easily have communicated what the rewards could include beforehand, especially since the rewards are far superior to every event they've ever run in the past.

And 20-slot bags are 12g on the trade post at a minimum, so yes, I do consider that a substantial gain!
To be fair, Anet did mention that they scheduled this event on Sunday afternoon-evening (NA time), so that the majority of people could participate.

Lesson I guess is if there's a one-time event that's on a Sunday, chances are that's the one where you get the good stuff.
Funny, if they'd just run the event twice (and only let you get rewards once), they could have avoided a lag scenario, allowed people who DC'd on the first run a second chance, and also not piss off a lot of folks who couldn't be on at the specific time listed.

Divvy

Good luck with that, I might have tried something similar but TP was down for me and everyone else on my overflow server. What are the exotics at right now? 30 silver?

Ah no, the cheapest ones are still like 70 silver.

Complistic

No, they could very easily have communicated what the rewards could include beforehand, especially since the rewards are far superior to every event they've ever run in the past.

And 20-slot bags are 12g on the trade post at a minimum, so yes, I do consider that a substantial gain!

Funny, if they'd just run the event twice (and only let you get rewards once), they could have avoided a lag scenario, allowed people who DC'd on the first run a second chance, and also not piss off a lot of folks who couldn't be on at the specific time listed.

I'm pretty sure I read that the rewards would include multiple exotics a few days ago.

Dries

So..... That last one-time event was EXHAUSTING. The kill reinforcement areas were terrible and most of all, not fun. Never, do I want to do some event like that for THAT long. Happy with my 20 slot chest and couple of exotics though.

Levyne

Banned
So..... That last one-time event was EXHAUSTING. The kill reinforcement areas were terrible and most of all, not fun. Never, do I want to do some event like that for THAT long. Happy with my 20 slot chest and couple of exotics though.

Yeah, the event kinda stunk but I got a 20 sloter, a good accessory, and was onlineto take advantage when the precursor drops lowered prices dramatically. All in all a good day.

Divvy

Hmmm wonder if I should buy a precursor now and sell if they go up...

Not sure if the listing fee will kill the profit or not..

leng jai

Just read about people crashing at the rnd of the event and not getting any reward. Anything involving events this weekend was seriously an epic fail in almost every conceivable way. Fun? No. Fair? No. Smooth? No. I see no reason as to why the reward for this event was suddenly about 50 times better than any other rewards we've seen so far. Not sure what Anet is thinking as there are bound to be unhappy people who wouldn't participate or participated and got nothing due to the server crash.

I love the new area and the Fractals are fantastic but I'm really soured about how everything else was handled.

Right now I'm just wondering who else feels randomly including precursors as rewards for a one-time event (meaning some players get rewarded for dozens or hundreds of gold while others get nothing) is the absolute worst part of the event, even after the lag and disconnect BS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Right now I'm just wondering who else feels randomly including precursors as rewards for a one-time event (meaning some players get rewarded for dozens or hundreds of gold while others get nothing) is the absolute worst part of the event, even after the lag and disconnect BS.

Nope, I don't. :p But then again, I got the Axe precursor. I've played ~230 hours with less than 5g, so it was a nice treat to finally have a little extra gold to spend.

Retro

People complaining about disconnects and server issues that disrupted the event

Martin Kerstein said:
"We have a team looking into disconnection problems that prevented some people from receiving their event rewards.

We will implement a solution so that people who participated will get their rewards, but this takes work on our end, so it will not happen today.

Keep an eye on our forums and social media channels, we will let you know once we have the solution in place.

Thank you, and we apologize that you were unable to claim your rewards." (source)

So, calm down and don't cancel your subscription just yet. They know there were some issues and are working on fixing it.

Well, I may not have gotten a precursor for the event, but with all the new pre-cursors flooding the market I was able to get the one I wanted at about half the usual price.

Overall, not too bad. The 20 slot bag and several exotics and rares didn't hurt either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Overall, not too bad. The 20 slot bag and several exotics and rares didn't hurt either.
The 20 slot bag was a godsend for me, and the other guaranteed drop- an account bound exotic accessory- will be useful no matter which of my characters it winds up on. I also got Tahlkora's Gloves which my mesmer can use, and an exotic named shield which I'll probably sell for around ~1g. Couple rares for some ectos too. Not particularly bitter I didn't get a precursor. Well, I am, but in the same way I'm bitter when somebody else gets an Exotic from a fractal run :p

Ephidel

I hit lv57 today and have a grand total of approx 1g50s (I'm taking it slowly, and haven't had a chance to play all that much lately). The loot I got today (excepting the accessory and the bag, the latter of which is a great help) was useless to me - I got the two types of underwater weaponry I'm incapable of using, and a warhorn. They're roughly in my level range, so I doubt anyone else will want them either.
That said, I don't feel particularly resentful of people who got more relevant or more expensive things, it's just the luck of the draw *shrugs*
Random loot is random, so congratulations to them. Hopefully some of the people who got them got things they'll be able to use, rather than just sell.

To me, the loot is a bonus.
If I were to tally up the worst things about the event, I'd start with broken quest chains and bugged NPCs, and end with mass lag, load screens, and disconnects :p

leng jai

The problem isn't RNG in this particular case. It's the fact that the loot reward in general (as well as the chance to get a precursor) was so much better without much reason or warning which is exacerbated by the fact that a huge part of the player base had zero ability to participate. I suspect this will be the case for basically every single one time event for Oceanic players such as myself.

etiolate

Banned
Because the rewards for the Halloween event were so-so and the Mad King dungeon gave a 10 slot bag and RNG on a poor loot table AND because the previous Lost Shores events weren't worth it, I don't think people were expecting what we got.

And if it's such a huge difference then some better information would have helped. Not only were the rewards greater, but the event was bigger than any of the post-launch events. It was a 2.5 hours DE chain across the whole map.

I almost skipped out on the event myself. I got two exotics, and two rares and the exotic accessory and bag. My exotics were only 4gold worth, so not nearly as huge a haul as some, but certainly the biggest reward I've ever gotten from a chest.

Outside of the "i didn't get candy" aspect of it, the Dynamic Event was pretty epic. The reinforcement segments needed to be toned down. They just ate up too much time. The initial part inside the nest cave had as many deaths, but that was from cramped corners and people not learning to back up and take it slow. The reinforcements though were overtuned and had too many people attacking the Ancient Karka for no reason. I really liked the segments after that though with the geysers and boulders, and the lava geysers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom