• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuroNeeko

If it's one thing I'm noticing lately, it's people complaining about the lack of information that ANet is giving. This is not going to be a white-knight post and I'm not targeting GAF specifically, I've noticed this in the official forums as well. A bit of rant here but...

I think it's sad that people expect everything to be laid out ahead of time. Events aren't just about the loot - they're events. Special, one-time happenings that hopefully contribute some memorial experience (experiences being what games are all about.) Just looking at some of the most common complaints / trends -

1) ANet should tell me the drop rates on BL Chests, specifically which mobs drop what; tell me what rewards I will get for completing an event; make it CLEAR WHY I should log on and play; guarantee that my drops are as good as everyone elses. If they don't they should give me free shit.

2) Events / quests / gameplay experiences need to include loot. My loot needs to be as good as everyone else's loot. Progress = loot. I didn't get something and someone else did - ANet better give me free shit.

3) Events are scheduled to happen when the largest number of players are on. I'm not that in that group. ANet should make it repeatable or give me free shit.

What happened to the days when you could say, "Hey guys, we're offering some new content over here - stuff you haven't seen in the game before. There's a scavenger hunt where you have to use your head; jumping puzzles where you have to use your reflexes; new monsters; new loot; an invasion you'll need to fight off and a huge boss! Come check it out if you want!" and people would just go and enjoy it? Damn, I'd be there! I wouldn't need anything but the experience and maybe one commemorative item. One-time events are where the "gold" is at! In a game where you can pick shit off the ground and sell it for gold - you're going to get new loot and money all the time. Faster if you work it and are smart about it -slower if you don't. What the fuck happened to role-players, gamers, and people in general to make everyone become so "gimme gimme"! Why does a company need to communicate every single, little thing in advance? It's like trying to lure a lazy, doesn't-give-a-fuck about anything cat to come over and hang out with you.

If you couldn't participate due to technical issues or lag or something like that, then yes, I agree that it sucks. If you couldn't participate in the event; like me here in JST land who has to sleep, raise a 2-year old son, and spend time with my wife (not complaining about anything here, it's actually a lot of fun), then yes it sucks, and I'd probably feel some disappointment about it too. But the level of expectations and entitlement that some people have is unbelievable. I can't see why any developer would want to make an MMO now for any reason other than money because the (vocal minority) community is one of the most spoiled, entitled communities I've ever seen.

Having said that, I think it'd be nice for the devs to schedule a content patch / event around EU's time schedule in the future. Just to switch it up a bit. It'd be fair and a sign of good faith that they're trying to think of everyone. I expect the forums would probably explode if that ever happened though.

I'm salty I missed the event. I don't have 80s so precursors and whatever don't mean as much to me. I like hot lootz. I'm not sweating anything though because the loot is permanent, the new area is permanent, I've got fractals to run, a TP to exploit, and the game is now better than it was. I'm still having fun. I still can't choose a main. I don't think the game is perfect, but the devs seem to be learning as they go along. All should be fine.

It's the journey, doods, not the destination!

(Good luck getting into the event, Zyrusticae!)

Congrats to Khold for getting some awesome ranger love too. It's nice to see someone who's just playing their class (even though it's probably regarded as the worst right now) and get some phat loot love that makes them happy. I'm honestly happy for you.

KuroNeeko, if they included exclusively cosmetic rewards for a ONE-TIME EVENT, I would not be complaining. These events should be optional - you should not be missing anything other than the experience for skipping out on them.

When some players get a massive advantage just for logging in and playing through a single event, while everyone else gets absolutely nothing, I get pissed.

It's really that simple.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I feel like this is the biggest problem in the genre nowadays. People don't want to be surprised - and, yeah, I'm not targeting anyone from GAF when I say this either. They don't care about the experience. They just want to know absolutely everything. They just want to micromanage their time to maximize gold and loot - and when they can't do something anymore, they launch crusades against the developers like the owe them stuff.

I call it the Wowhead effect.

Personally, I play MMOs for the discovery aspect. I love these unique, one-time events. I love being surprised by the world. And that's why the fact that World of Warcraft is so predictable and "fair" nowadays made me quit it.

Edit: I like you, KuroNeeko.

KuroNeeko

KuroNeeko, if they included exclusively cosmetic rewards for a ONE-TIME EVENT, I would not be complaining. These events should be optional - you should not be missing anything other than the experience for skipping out on them.

When some players get a massive advantage just for logging in and playing through a single event, while everyone else gets absolutely nothing, I get pissed.

It's really that simple.

I can see how you'd feel that way, especially if you feel like you were left out, but if we're talking rares, exotics, and other assorted loot - then I can't help but feel that GW is giving you the tools to take advantage of the situation yourself - the TP.

If you want gold, get on and buy exotics that people will want weeks from now - the post them for mad profit. Buy precursors and flip them when the market settles. Buy precursors and make your own legendaries. The more other people benefit, the more chance you have to benefit.

I'm feeling your pain on not getting a 20-slot bag, but oh well, good for everyone who could participate. I'm not sure why something good happening to someone else needs to be a bad thing for myself. Just feel happy for them and move on.

Don't read this as me telling you what to do. I don't have all the answers, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be on GAF or playing video games. I'm salty too. There's just some epic meltdownage going on out there.

I feel like this is the biggest problem in the genre nowadays. People don't want to be surprised - and, yeah, I'm not targeting anyone from GAF when I say this either. They don't care about the experience. They just want to know absolutely everything. They just want to micromanage their time to maximize gold and loot - and when they can't do something anymore, they launch crusades against the developers like the owe them stuff.

I call it the Wowhead effect.

Personally, I play MMOs for the discovery aspect. I love these unique, one-time events. I love being surprised by the world. And that's why the fact that World of Warcraft is so predictable nowadays is what made me quit it.

Yeah, I'm with you. At this rate, they should probably just replace the role-playing in MMORPG with roll-playing. Hopefully they'll mix up event times in the future. EU would be a little easier for me to hit, and would help EU to not feel like second-class citizens
even if they are, heh

I can't reiterate this enough - they didn't have to include such substantial rewards. In fact, it would have been much, MUCH better if the only rewards were cosmetic. Throwing in exotics and a 20-slot bag was an absolutely horrid idea, especially for a one-time event that MANY people will miss, and even worse, when you know your servers cannot handle the task of holding so many players at once.

I play these games for the fun of it, but I can't just turn a blind eye to these things when they happen.

As for the trade post, it's not like I have the prices for exotics memorized such to the point that I can just buy things off the TP to sell later, and I sure as hell don't have the money to buy precursors even after the precipitous price drop. I'm sure the market hounds are quite happy about this, but I am not a market hound.

leng jai

The problem is this wasn't a nice surprise for a large portion of the player base. It's like Anet knew half their customers would miss this loot and still thought it was a good idea to go ahead with it. This in itself goes against the argument of the advantage being the "experience". This finale was clearly about the loot except no one knew about it until the last second. If someone could provide a legitimate reason as to why the loot was so much better for only the finale then I'd like to hear it. If anything the loot should have been similar for the entire weekend.

Brazil

I can't reiterate this enough - they didn't have to include such substantial rewards. In fact, it would have been much, MUCH better if the only rewards were cosmetic. Throwing in exotics and a 20-slot bag was an absolutely horrid idea, especially for a one-time event that MANY people will miss, and even worse, when you know your servers cannot handle the task of holding so many players at once.

I play these games for the fun of it, but I can't just turn a blind eye to these things when they happen.

You're angry because some people got stuff you didn't, and that's ok. But the fact that they rewarded players with good stuff isn't a serious mistake per se like you seem to think it is, and it'll never be no matter how many times you repeat it.

The problem is this wasn't a nice surprise for a large portion of the player base. It's like Anet knew half their customers would miss this loot and still thought it was a good idea to go ahead with it. This in itself goes against the argument of the advantage being the "experience". This finale was clearly about the loot except no one knew about it until the last second. If someone could provide a legitimate reason as to why the loot was so much better for only the finale then I'd like to hear it. If anything the loot should have been similar for the entire weekend.

And this is exactly what KuroNeeko was talking about. Why do MMO players feel entitled to everything nowadays? Why do all of them want to have exactly the same opportunities and loot and gold and all that without putting in any effort beyond the grinds they claim to hate? (I'm obviously not talking about people who couldn't get into the event for technical reasons, by the way)

When did this genre stopped being about role playing and became some kind of twisted, bizarre faux-competition in which everyone actually wants to be equal at any cost?

The whining makes no sense to me.

Did not expect loot for the event, so it was a surprise to see it. However, I'd probably be a bit annoyed if I hadn't logged out and back in and got into an overflow that hadn't bugged up and stalled.

The overall management of this event has been poor, and didn't seem to be practically thought out. Events bugged. Timings off. Servers straining. Still an interesting experience, and I'm sure Anet will have learned a lot from it too.

You're angry because some people got stuff you didn't, and that's ok. But the fact that they rewarded players with good stuff isn't a serious mistake per se like you seem to think it is, and it'll never be no matter how many times you repeat it.

And this is exactly what KuroNeeko was talking about. Why do MMO players feel entitled to everything nowadays? Why do all of them want to have exactly the same opportunities and loot and gold and all that without putting in any effort beyond the grinds they claim to hate? (I'm obviously not talking about people who couldn't get into the event for technical reasons, by the way)

When did this genre stopped being about role playing and became some kind of twisted, bizarre faux-competition in which everyone actually wants to be equal at any cost?

Okay, enough. This is nonsense.

If you're going to just keep insinuating that nobody should care about loot at all and that anyone caring about such has mismanaged priorities, we're clearly not going to get anywhere.

I will just say that I respectfully disagree, and I think any reasonable individual should recognize that some people will play for different reasons than others, and leave it at that.

leng jai

I don't really care actually I just don't agree with the ideal. If you can't make sense of why people would complain about this then the problem is on your end. People want the same opportunities because they paid for the game like everyone else. It's a simple concept even if you don't agree with it. Also factor in the timezones means that some players will never be able to participate in these events.

KuroNeeko

As for the trade post, it's not like I have the prices for exotics memorized such to the point that I can just buy things off the TP to sell later, and I sure as hell don't have the money to buy precursors even after the precipitous price drop. I'm sure the market hounds are quite happy about this, but I am not a market hound.

I can't speak as to why the devs would or wouldn't do something. My guess is that the massive load of exotics / precursors was an attempt to drive down prices on the market. One of the big complaints some people have been making is that precursors are so hard to get that a few people have managed to secure a stranglehold on the market. Now people have exotics that they can wear, sell, or salvage for ectos and a huge(?) influx of precursors that will probably turn into the first wave of legendaries that GW will experience.

So the people that got the drops first-hand will benefit. Some will keep the precursors or even forge their own legendaries. Others will sell which is great because higher supply will drive down the price. Unfortunately, I don't know if the supply is great enough yet because the demand has been quite high for awhile.

Still, having said all of ↑, you could be right. If you still feel that way, you should try to make your opinion heard to the right people. It could be that they'll change the way they do things. GW2 is still only a few months old and I think they're learning as they go. I'm sorry you missed out on stuff, hell, I missed out on stuff too. There will be other events. I'm already stockpiling secret loot A and B to sell during the next event!

edit: Yeah, I'll admit that as a game designer, I'm a bit of an idealist when it comes to games and MMORPGS. I grew up playing table-top role-playing games and going to Renaissance fairs (← nerd), and I know that loot is a big factor in these types of games. I like loot, too. I can understand why you feel disappointed. I've mentioned above that I hope they'll mix up the schedule for events in the future. I think if non prime-time players (read non-US) make their voices heard, ANet will make more of an effort to schedule an event (or make events more global friendly) for people in other time zones. Still, barring that, I think it's reasonable that they aim for times when there are the largest number of players on. That just can't be helped. I'm aware that people play for different reasons as well. I just feel like you have the tools to take advantage of the situation, even if you did miss the rush of participating in the event and clicking on that phat chest yourself.

Shambles

Can someone explain what a pre-cursor is to me? From what I can find they are some part of a recipe for making a legendary weapon? How do you know what is a precursor or not and why are they so expensive compared to other exotics?

Levyne

Banned
Can someone explain what a pre-cursor is to me? From what I can find they are some part of a recipe for making a legendary weapon? How do you know what is a precursor or not and why are they so expensive compared to other exotics?

A precursor is an exotic that can be "upgraded" to a legendary when mixed in the forge with other expensive items that take time to make/acquire (involving large numbers of crafting mats, karma rewards, wvw and dungeon tokens, etc).

Edit: Oh, sorry, I didn't fully answer. Precursors can be identified on the item tooltip, it will clearly state that it is a precursor. They are expensive because they are exceedingly rare drops from chests or random mystic forge luck.

Brazil

I don't really care actually I just don't agree with the ideal. If you can't make sense of why people would complain about this then the problem is on your end. People want the same opportunities because they paid for the game like everyone else. It's a simple concept even if you don't agree with it. Also factor in the timezones means that some players will never be able to participate in these events.

Well, that's exactly what I pointed out as the problem I see with the genre. I do understand it, and I don't agree with it, as you can see from the post you quoted.

If people couldn't get in because of technical problems or stuff like time zones, that really sucks, I'm sorry for them, and I think ANet should come up with something so issues like these don't show up next time. If people had the opportunity and chose to not participate in the event because they didn't want to and now are feeling left out, as much as saying this will paint me as an asshole, well... *Shrug*.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Uhh guys. The event is happening again if you missed it, so you should stop with the whining and come do it.

Also I think you can do it again on another character if you've already done it and get the chest again

I'm not sure what other details you need. Goto southsun cove. Event should be happening there right now.
I don't know where you're getting this from, because I'm in there right now and nothing's happening.

I've logged out and back in 15 times already, still nothing.

I wish people would stop getting my hopes up like this.

Edit: No, I'm not. Perhaps I should be?

Well, that's exactly what I pointed out as the problem I see with the genre. I do understand it, and I don't agree with it, as you can see from the post you quoted.

If people couldn't get in because of technical problems or stuff like time zones, that really sucks, I'm sorry for them, and I think ANet should come up with something so issues like these don't show up next time. If people had the opportunity and chose to not participate in the event because they didn't want to and now are feeling left out, as much as saying this will paint me as an asshole, well... *Shrug*.
See, this is the thing. I care because those exotics could have saved me an hour or two of doing tedious activities that I do not find enjoyable (re: running around Orr farming events) just so I could afford armor that looks nice on my characters. I also missed out on the potential for a major convenience item (the bag) and the potential for dozens of gold in the form of a precursor, which would have allowed me to play exclusively as I want to (wandering around the open world) as opposed to having to continue farming just so I can afford the things I want to buy. More importantly, though, I just don't agree with the randomness. Players should be rewarded based on effort given and maybe also for skill and teamwork, not based exclusively on a lottery like this event's was.

For that matter, I get the impression that you don't care about rewards at all. In that case, why even have them? Why even have loot? Would these games be better if loot were excised entirely? I'm curious here on your position on the matter...

Divvy

I don't know where you're getting this from, because I'm in there right now and nothing's happening.

I've logged out and back in 15 times already, still nothing.

I wish people would stop getting my hopes up like this.

Edit: No, I'm not. Perhaps I should be?

I'm in the right now. We're doing the demolition part of it right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, you can try and get into our overflow. We're near the end of the chain.

Send a whisper to Hawkian The Blade

Divvy

Well the server I'm on has barely started so I am confident that it'll be faaaaar from over when you get on

Divvy

What server are you on? My friend still needs to do it.

Uhm some overflow server. There's quite a few i've seen that haven't even started the quest chain yet.

There's a queue to get into ours though. It takes a bit of spamming the join button

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well guys, there are a few overflows still running it.

It DOES work for alts, doesn't work again for the same char.

Doesn't give you 80 stuff unless your character is 80. Rares/exotics at your level or a bit above if you're not.

edit: Two hours left to complete a chain. It'll be easier the FEWER people you have.

KuroNeeko

What level do exotics start dropping? Ah, I'll probably go just to check it out!

edit: Two hours left means you have two more hours before the event ends or two more hours until you do everything you need to do to finish it?

Brazil

See, this is the thing. I care because those exotics could have saved me an hour or two of doing tedious activities that I do not find enjoyable (re: running around Orr farming events) just so I could afford armor that looks nice on my characters. I also missed out on the potential for a major convenience item (the bag) and the potential for dozens of gold in the form of a precursor, which would have allowed me to play exclusively as I want to (wandering around the open world) as opposed to having to continue farming just so I can afford the things I want to buy. More importantly, though, I just don't agree with the randomness. Players should be rewarded based on effort given and maybe also for skill and teamwork, not based exclusively on a lottery like this event's was.

For that matter, I get the impression that you don't care about rewards at all. In that case, why even have them? Why even have loot? Would these games be better if loot were excised entirely? I'm curious here on your position on the matter...

I don't have a problem with the concept of loot as it exists today, but I guess I do have a problem with its limitations.

Now that I think of it, I guess that I'm more into the "Role Playing" part than into the "Game" part. I just want everyone to have a good time, but then stuff like this gets in the way. In my idea of a perfect MMO, people wouldn't feel at a disadvantage when they didn't have something others had. They'd just feel... Different. But maybe that's a thought straight out of an utopia, haha.

They really should just take a page out of Trion's playbook and just give the 20-slot bag and accessory to everyone whether they participated or not.

I brought my low level thinking I could snag some extra levels and that the loot would be 80 like it was for the mad king event. Walked out with a level 62 yellow....

Oh well.

Tess3ract

Banned
I had the trial and got to 16 but...I don't know about buying it. It was okay but I don't see myself playing more (since the nord 15-25 area was so awful and I couldn't figure out how to get to the other race starting areas)

Levyne

Banned
Well done guildies that just got their chests.

ibqAmIFwxsS1Mj.jpg

etiolate

Banned
So I was able to do it again on an alt. I had heard that you can only get the chest once, but nobody had tried alts until tonight. Seems like alts can get the chest, too. So I now have two 20 slots bags and two of the accessory items, plus some lower level exotic and rares from doing it on an alt.

Lulubop

I did the event three times, two with level 80s and got one precursor (Rodgort's flame). Worth it for the bags and accessories at least, but way to long.

Mazre

Managed to get in on the overflow goodness late and scooped 2 20 slot bags, and a collection of unimpressive rares/exotics. Good times.

Retro

I had the trial and got to 16 but...I don't know about buying it. It was okay but I don't see myself playing more (since the nord 15-25 area was so awful and I couldn't figure out how to get to the other race starting areas)

From any capitol city, take the Asura Gate to Lion's Arch. You will immediately be in a large plaza with several similar gates leading to the other racial capitols.

Sure am glad I took today off. I wouldn't have gotten anything and I'd have been outspent in getting that pre-cursor on the AH.

In other words, anet need to give a bit more of a window for events. It'd be nice if the big stuff could be on saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom