• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giard

Is the new Giver insignia worth it for someone who tries to act as support? +1% per equipment piece seems too weak.

KuroNeeko

Damn, wish we could go 2 weeks without people getting all grumpy at each other. I realize it comes with the method of communication but, dayum.

Even today I had to apologize to someone in the guild just to be on the safe side even though I'd made a joke in-character.

I have a bunch of characters, each with their own personalities. My Lady of Winter is a slight twisted, sadist - cold like the season she's named for. Just saying, it makes it hard to role-play her when you're worried about pissing guildies off. Guess I should put everyone in ""s.

To Be Orr Not to Be

Like the idea of the event and would love to participate. Three things are keeping me from doing so:

1) My highest level character is 38 :/
TBH, I'm trying to nail down which character I want to raise to 80 first. This event, as well as wanting all of the event-specific goodies, is convincing me that I'd better get a character up to 80.

2) The length of the event.

This can't be helped and is not your fault. I only have two times I can play, during my lunch break and a little at night. I also have a 2-year old son that wakes up and calls for daddy sometimes which means I drop everything and go. Sucks for party members I'm running with and I try to let everyone know up front that it can happen. Not a big deal though since we're not really running any instances.

3) Mumble

Again, since I'm either playing at work (and am the only english speaker) or at home (while keeping an ear on the baby monitor), Mumble isn't really an option. I wish it wasn't so, WvW on mumble sounds awesome, but that's my situation.

Looks like a potentially fun event. I understand what Usea is saying, but the tone was pretty new for him so that took me for a surprise. I'm not holding it against Keoni though since he's going through the trouble of organizing the event. While I can see the desire for wanting to know what is going on specifically (especially for people who have specific goals in the game or limited playing time), I don't mind just showing up and taking it from there.

Sigil Question
I've never really had to worry about sigils but the changes to Engineer got me thinking - are two-handed weapon users missing out compared to dual-wielders? Dual wielders can get two separate sigils on their weapons, one active and the other passive (to avoid cooldown), while two-handed weapon users only get one. Is this an issue or are two handed weapons balanced around it?

usea

Hmm? Who got hacked? Nothing appears to be missing from the GBank.
I'm sure this isn't what he's talking about, but a few weeks ago somebody logged on and said they'd just gotten their account back from a hacker and they were missing all of their money and stuff. So we all pitched in some gold for them.

zulfate

Usea sounds like he doesnt know what this game is about... yet he has a level 80,you go somewhere and do an event and guess what another opens up....we've been doing that since level 1 now half this page is trying to explain what we are doing when we all damn know its the same shit over and over. Sorry iam not trying to be mean but usea sounds like a small troll right now lol.

Ive been gone from this game for awhile but i would like to come back and stay this time you guys(guild) seem like genuine people and i want to be apart of the guild more often

KuroNeeko

Usea sounds like he doesnt know what this game is about... yet he has a level 80,you go somewhere and do an event and guess what another opens up....we've been doing that since level 1 now half this page is trying to explain what we are doing when we all damn know its the same shit over and over. Sorry iam not trying to be mean but usea sounds like a small troll right now lol.

Ive been gone from this game for awhile but i would like to come back and stay this time you guys(guild) seem like genuine people and i want to be apart of the guild more often

Naw, I'm sure he knows what the game is about, but everyone likes to play a different way. Like those lil green dudes said in WoW, "Time is money, friend." He probably wants to know what is going down before deciding to participate. Some people have limited playing time, or are extremely focused on doing something else so they want to measure the benefits of doing one over the other.

He could have a point about communication needing to be better if GAFGUILD is hoping to get a bigger turnout, but I probably would have worded it differently. Having said that, I was fine with how it was written. Different strokes.

Hope he gets his stuff back, he had the legendary Bolt. =/

Good god. I'm surprised he's still playing. That would probably turn me off from the game completely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sigil Question
I've never really had to worry about sigils but the changes to Engineer got me thinking - are two-handed weapon users missing out compared to dual-wielders? Dual wielders can get two separate sigils on their weapons, one active and the other passive (to avoid cooldown), while two-handed weapon users only get one. Is this an issue or are two handed weapons balanced around it?
I don't have an engi, wish I did. With regards to your question generally, as one example, I have NO trouble understanding why greatsword mesmers are only allowed one sigil.

zulfate, I know you absolutely mean well, but let's let it go :)
Hope he gets his stuff back, he had the legendary Bolt. =/
Jesus CHRIST. Who was this? If he does keep playing, we must do something for him as a guild.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That is awesome, I would love to see a higher resolution screenshot!

edit: SweetFX can take its own high-quality screenshots. I think the default key is printscreen.

Here's some more at proper resolution

5f3Ev.jpg

WL9rL.jpg

The only problem with this is participation:

Getting enough people to participate

Getting enough people who participate who are in each order

Getting enough people who participate who are in each order high enough level

Getting enough people who participate who are in each order high enough level for each order to have a good amount to actually go through each prong of Straits.

More than likely I foresee we'll have to "join up" at times if one "prong" is going slower or not at all than others. After that it's everyone together in a big zerg in Malchor's and Cursed Shore. This is however an all day affair. I think taking the entire three zones will at least take 5 hours or more.

I can attest that the northern path in Straits is solo-able if need be since that's exactly what I had to do during one of my failed attempts to take down the Balthazar priest. I'll be there on the 29th. Ultimately taking down that priest with 8 other GAF members + 30 PUGs was some of the most fun I've had in this game.

Levyne

Banned
Did some fractals with lots of people today. Rochey, Lorelai, Kos, Varix, Sophreilla, Moon(something), Mazre. Good job, all.

etiolate

Banned
Stay away from the OT. It's a bigger trap than gaming at this point.

I don't know how to answer the best class for a starter question. I like classes that ask me to be very active and have me processing info. Some people like to start off with classes that offer reliable and more obvious purpose and results.

KuroNeeko

In terms of best class to play as a beginner, it really depends on what you mean by "beginner" and what kind of experience you are looking for.

If you're looking for class that will suffer fewer deaths and greater power at a lower learning curve then Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, and maybe even Necromancer are decent choices. All of them have decent auto-attacks or can offer a lot of utility with very few button presses.

Thief is another choice, but their class mechanic is so far removed from the other classes, that you might want to avoid them unless their style of play really sounds appealing to you. They're another class that has a good autoattack and high-powered attacks, but they rely on mobility and fairly fast reflexes to stay alive.

Elementalists can be a lot of fun, but as a beginner you will probably want to stay in one or two attributes. This may serve you for awhile, but as you get on in levels you'll need to learn how to switch between all of the elements quickly to get to each one's best spells. If you want to start with a mage-type character though, they're a good choice and chances are that your skill as a player will also continue to develop alongside your character.

Mesmers and Engineers will probably be a headache to play. Mesmers rely a lot on their clones, escapes, and movement. They can be difficult to level for some people during their early levels. Engineers also require a slightly different mindset for some of their builds, but if you just want to drop turrets and shoot things they can be fun. Chances are that if you're new to MMOs in general, they may require some skills like kiting that you may not be familiar with.

All in all, I'd say pick a class that looks interesting and try it. All of them are workable from the beginning - mesmer is probably the hardest to just dive into. If you're looking for a class that is visually impressive and has a wide range of weapons, maybe Guardian would be a good fit. If you don't like your choice, you can always reroll so just jump in (and join the guild.)

Lyng

What's a fun class to play as for a beginner?

Well for me it seemed guardian was by far the easiest to play as a complete beginner. The most fun for me personally was the thief though.
I love the thief because its such a active class with constant movement and little tricks to decieve the enemy. However it is a class that requires you to pay attention all the time. (At least for me it does)
While you can relax abit more and do alot less movement on the guardian.
(A guardian can spit blue flames though...which looks amazing!)

KuroNeeko

Well for me it seemed guardian was by far the easiest to play as a complete beginner. The most fun for me personally was the thief though.
I love the thief because its such a active class with constant movement and little tricks to decieve the enemy. However it is a class that requires you to pay attention all the time. (At least for me it does)
While you can relax abit more and do alot less movement on the guardian.
(A guardian can spit blue flames though...which looks amazing!)

Yeah, the guardian staff attack, spirit weapons, and focus 4 look particularly nice.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Somehow managed to team up with a arena.net employee in Tixx today! was a pretty awesome experience, he even answered questions and stuff.

Also he implied they are apparently working on implementing the "guest" feature sometime in the future!

I am kind of getting hooked back on this game.

I never really had any issues with the game, for some reason by time it came out I just didn't want to play. Now it seems I finally do.

Divvy

Hey I don't mean to harp on this, but it would be really nice if the guild could give those of us on other servers upgrade powers.

We've been accumulating guild influence in Borlis Pass that is separate from the ones you've been raising in SBI and it's just sitting there unused.

The guild has no upgrades on this server and we don't get any of the buffs that you guys order on your server. It'd be really nice if we could order them for ourselves especially since it wouldn't affect the guild on SBI at all in any way.

Hey I don't mean to harp on this, but it would be really nice if the guild could give those of us on other servers upgrade powers.

We've been accumulating guild influence in Borlis Pass that is separate from the ones you've been raising in SBI and it's just sitting there unused.

The guild has no upgrades on this server and we don't get any of the buffs that you guys order on your server. It'd be really nice if we could order them for ourselves especially since it wouldn't affect the guild on SBI at all in any way.

I honestly am unsure of how to head over to that server unless I transfer or something. If anyone can figure this out, let us know!

Well if you could give me upgrade powers, I could just do it myself. I don't need to be an officer or anything, just make a new rank with activate upgrades.

I'm at work right now, can you see if another officer is on? Maybe Retro can do that or something. Good luck!

Divvy

I'm at work right now, can you see if another officer is on? Maybe Retro can do that or something. Good luck!

Oh, I don't need it asap or anything. Just whenever you get around to it. No rush.

EDIT: nvm, Retro is on so I'll just ask him

EDIT: Woot, done :D thanks all

Since the update my GW2 has started running very sluggish.

1) Have anyone noticed any difference with the Nvidia drivers released december 17? Only mentions GW2 once; "Updated NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for Guild Wars 2" in the cliff notes.

2) I am running in SLI. Should I disabe it, since GW2 doesn't take advantage of multiple graphics card?

1) Have anyone noticed any difference with the Nvidia drivers released december 17? Only mentions GW2 once; "Updated NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support for Guild Wars 2" in the cliff notes.

2) I am running in SLI. Should I disabe it, since GW2 doesn't take advantage of multiple graphics card?

I'm certainly not an expert in the SLI department but running in ambient occlusion would give you more shinier graphics? GraphicsGAF, please assist!

This patch has also made WvW sluggish for me with random disconnects happening since last night.

Verve

wow, got plenty of bank space now much more stuff can be put into the collections tab. about time. best part of the whole wintersday update :)

1 fractal away from getting my first monthly achievment ever!
had some great PuGs. Just one guy quitting because we were "too noob" (elitist) - so we finished it with 4 people and had a blast. still love the game.

Abandond

Since when does GW2 not take advantage of multiple graphics card? Or is that just an Nvidia thing?

Geoff9920

I believe the Ambient Occlusion note in the drivers update is referring to forcing AO via the Nvidia drivers control panel. If you aren't forcing AO via the drivers it wouldn't have any impact on your performance.

Taffer

The Toypocalypse event is awful, a real disappointment after how good the rest of Wintersday was. I'll try it again but I don't think it'll be any fun later on.

Abandond

The Toypocalypse event is awful, a real disappointment after how good the rest of Wintersday was. I'll try it again but I don't think it'll be any fun later on.

Agreed. Why they made us use lame abilities is beyond me, all you need to do is spam catapults and snowmen and then just upgrade them and you surround the center with the defenses and you win. It takes so long and then in the end all you get is 8 presents in total I think, it's pretty shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom