• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So i was gifted GW2. i go to register and there is the option to link to my old GW account. Problem is i cant remember the GW password. After a little looking i find out that the password reset option is in the launcher of GW1. i reinstall GW1 and find out that the Password Reset option doesnt work. i figured it was just down at the time and try again the next day with no luck. Yesterday i sent off an email to support and am waiting to hear back.

Anyone know something about resetting the password that i dont? i think ive scoured the site and looked for an hour or so online to find out anything but have come up empty. Am i just missing something here?

Retro

So i was gifted GW2. i go to register and there is the option to link to my old GW account. Problem is i cant remember the GW password. After a little looking i find out that the password reset option is in the launcher of GW1. i reinstall GW1 and find out that the Password Reset option doesnt work. i figured it was just down at the time and try again the next day with no luck. Yesterday i sent off an email to support and am waiting to hear back.

Anyone know something about resetting the password that i dont? i think ive scoured the site and looked for an hour or so online to find out anything but have come up empty. Am i just missing something here?

When I reset my password way back in April, I ended up having to go to support too. I think the biggest hangup is that ArenaNet is handling all of GW2 while GW1 is tied to NCSoft, and there's just a whole lot of crud they never expected to deal with going on.

It was a huge mystery for me too, I'd just wait for support to get back to you.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
When I reset my password way back in April, I ended up having to go to support too. I think the biggest hangup is that ArenaNet is handling all of GW2 while GW1 is tied to NCSoft, and there's just a whole lot of crud they never expected to deal with going on.

It was a huge mystery for me too, I'd just wait for support to get back to you.
Thats what i feared. Its doubtful support would get back to me before the 25th so im just going with a different email. Thanks!

edit: Okay so i just made a new email and am trying to occupy myself for the next 780 hours and im reading the internet. Then i stumbled on all the hacking stuff. It makes things sound bad? Should i be paranoid about GW2?

etiolate

Banned
Thats what i feared. Its doubtful support would get back to me before the 25th so im just going with a different email. Thanks!

edit: Okay so i just made a new email and am trying to occupy myself for the next 780 hours and im reading the internet. Then i stumbled on all the hacking stuff. It makes things sound bad? Should i be paranoid about GW2?

Just use the authenticator protocols. There's email authneticating and google authenticator for phones. And don't sue the same pw for GW2 as for the email you use. That should be plenty of protection.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just use the authenticator protocols. There's email authneticating and google authenticator for phones. And don't sue the same pw for GW2 as for the email you use. That should be plenty of protection.
Alrighty. Sounds good. Just activated email authentication and usernames/passwords are all unique.

Email activation is awesome btw. All mmos need that.

Retro

Alrighty. Sounds good. Just activated email authentication and usernames/passwords are all unique.

Email activation is awesome btw. All mmos need that.

There's a lot of stuff in GW2 that all MMOs need. You'll see. Also, sent a whisper to any of the officers (mentioned in the OP) to get an invite to GAFGuild. Easier to ask questions there, as the answers will be immediate.

Retro

has the guild reached a point that it is inactive player friendly?

We're at 279 members currently, the latest round of culling occurring in November.

Usually about 40-50 active at any give time (about 40 right now).

I doubt we'll need to do another culling before February, but depending on how many come back for the January update, we may have to.

Sorry. We'd like to have everyone in there, but the 500 member limit necessitates we make some room from time to time. We announce when we'll be cleaning out the guild on the GAFGuild site, and we usually post in the OT as well.

Ashodin

January is going to be fucking awesome update. February will be in its own right.

I expect expansion to be announced next summer!

Grayman

We're at 279 members currently, the latest round of culling occurring in November.

Usually about 40-50 active at any give time (about 40 right now).

I doubt we'll need to do another culling before February, but depending on how many come back for the January update, we may have to.

Sorry. We'd like to have everyone in there, but the 500 member limit necessitates we make some room from time to time. We announce when we'll be cleaning out the guild on the GAFGuild site, and we usually post in the OT as well.

I usually play for a few days in a row then take a week or two off playing.

So I just tried this with a controller after not playing for a while. Recently began working full time, and I've been finding it tough to sit at a computer and play games after working at a computer all day, so I've mainly been playing controller based games. Wanted to get back into this so I looked at some configurations.

Holy crap. It's like controlling an action RPG. It's really good. If I could get a handle on the UI, I don't think I'll ever go back.

EDIT: I play melee. I imagine the experience would be rather different with a caster or ranged character.

Just picked up the game off the site, $45 isnt to bad for the extras it looks like. Keep hearing its the greatest MMORPG of all time lol, had to give it a try :)

I guess Im gonna toy around in the game for a few lvls and see how it is, if it catches me hopefully I can join up with you all.

Ashodin

Just picked up the game off the site, $45 isnt to bad for the extras it looks like. Keep hearing its the greatest MMORPG of all time lol, had to give it a try :)

I guess Im gonna toy around in the game for a few lvls and see how it is, if it catches me hopefully I can join up with you all.

If you've only played other WoW combat style games, this one will wake your ass up. You gotta dodge and move to avoid most of the damage, it's very action-y.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm going to have to get a new computer before I'll be able to get back in the game. I know I've been culled from the GAF guild by now (which is perfectly fine because I have been inactive) but I'm planning to get a lot more active once I get a better computer (when I get the money). Hopefully the GAF Guild will have room for me then, but I've had some GW2 withdrawals lately. >_>

If you've only played other WoW combat style games, this one will wake your ass up. You gotta dodge and move to avoid most of the damage, it's very action-y.

I only ever played the free trail of WoW.

Last MMORPG I played hard core...Anarchy Online (2001-2006ish)

Only other MMORPG's I played longer then the free 30 days since then and during..Played GW1 for about a year, got tired of warrior/monks (think that was the class that I got tired of facing) and I played City of Heroes from launch and the first year into PvP.
Played alot of DC Online too, but that was on PS3.

etiolate

Banned
I guess a lot of servers dropped from Full to Very High and then went right back to Full. I'm not sure if they extended space on servers or what. (Bot bannings?)

I would like a way to be notified or queued for a server transfer when space opens up on the server you're trying to get to. I have people trying to get into SBI.

Of course, Guesting would solve this problem.

Atrophis

Can we get an agreement for party leaders not to leave dungeons until everyone has confirmed they have looted the last chest?

I've missed so many now its getting a bit annoying.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Decided to do all of the Tixx dungeons in one shot this weekend. After doing two I got extremely bored and stopped. This was definitely one of those things to do spread out over the course of a week. :-/

So after spending a couple more hours with a controller last night, I honestly think that ANet should consider patching in a controller UI and support. Combat plays excellently with a gamepad. Playing an action MMO from your couch on an HDTV is pretty damn cool.

Retro

So after spending a couple more hours with a controller last night, I honestly think that ANet should consider patching in a controller UI and support. Combat plays excellently with a gamepad. Playing an action MMO from your couch on an HDTV is pretty damn cool.

Very early on (before launch), someone data-mined actual graphics for this. In place of the 1-5 numbers under each skill, there were the 360's buttons, even colored appropriately. I also seem to recall ArenaNet confirmed there's a team 'investigating' GW2 on consoles. I have no idea if they stopped or if they're still at it.

Very early on (before launch), someone data-mined actual graphics for this. In place of the 1-5 numbers under each skill, there were the 360's buttons, even colored appropriately. I also seem to recall ArenaNet confirmed there's a team 'investigating' GW2 on consoles. I have no idea if they stopped or if they're still at it.

Awesome. I hope they're looking into it. I know some MMO purists will hate the idea, but with how much fun the combat is with a controller, I don't see any reason they shouldn't try and branch off to grab the console audience.

Is GAFGuild accepting people who's home server isn't Stormbluff? When I got the game, Stormbluff was full, so I chose another one.

Did the Toypocalypse last night. Later waves were kind of boring. Didn't know about the presents that dropped either. Ended up with the top score on my team though. Were there any other rewards for it?

Also I read that if you find Tixx he gives you stuff. I found him in LA but he didn't give me anything.

Ashodin

Awesome. I hope they're looking into it. I know some MMO purists will hate the idea, but with how much fun the combat is with a controller, I don't see any reason they shouldn't try and branch off to grab the console audience.

Is GAFGuild accepting people who's home server isn't Stormbluff? When I got the game, Stormbluff was full, so I chose another one.

Try transferring sometime. It's still free and just try on offpeak hours (late at night America time)

etiolate

Banned
Did the Toypocalypse last night. Later waves were kind of boring. Didn't know about the presents that dropped either. Ended up with the top score on my team though. Were there any other rewards for it?

Also I read that if you find Tixx he gives you stuff. I found him in LA but he didn't give me anything.

I'm not sure what find Tixx thing you're referring to. The Tixx in LA used to have a chest next to him that you could open, but since that was having issues, they removed the chest and just sent everyone the gifts through in-game mail.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Because targeting with a gamepad is still ass.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Looks like this game will go on sale tomorrow at Amazon. So I'll probably be picking this up when it goes on sale.

I've played a few MMOs but never got around to trying out any of the GW games. Any tips for a beginner to the series?

Retro

I've played a few MMOs but never got around to trying out any of the GW games. Any tips for a beginner to the series?

1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.
- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​
2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.
- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.​
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.
- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​
10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, Professor Retro, Wallach or Arken Elric. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features. The address/port information for Mumble can be found by quoting the OT; it will appear at the top inside the e-mail tags. Please use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

Lulubop

Been running Arah, me and some Gaffers have path 3 down for the most part. The other part aren't to bad either. Well aside from 4.

jersoc

you forgot one of the best features of the game, retro, or I missed it

there is no mob tagging in the traditional sense. as long as you do above a threshold you will get credit and looting rights just the same.

Thanks for such a well thought out reply. Glad to know there's no race perks. Will probably roll a char warrior/guardian or human thief.

I appreciate all the info and look forward to playing with you guys as soon possible.
mornkor3.jpg

I suggest a Charr heavy. Dat armor. (Yes, he has a bow and arrows strapped to his back)

Proven

Checked in the mail and found I had a GAF Christmas gift. Thanks guys. Now off for the family festivities.

My resolution is going to have to be participating more in-game.

Retro

Christmas Loot!
KUv8B.jpg

The book is actually a gift to the wife, I just needed something to prop him up.

you forgot one of the best features of the game, retro, or I missed it

there is no mob tagging in the traditional sense. as long as you do above a threshold you will get credit and looting rights just the same.

I had it in the list at first, but it got kind of long and I hate for a list of 'beginner's tips' to look like an instruction manual. That's a good enough point to make the list though, so I'll add it in.
My resolution is going to have to be participating more in-game.

The best thing about Guild Wars 2 is that you don't have to play all the time. And the worst thing about GAF Guild is that we have to clear out people who follow that advice from time to time. All I want for Christmas is a higher guild cap.

Okay, second worse thing, after my puns.

Lizard with a ladder

Like I mentioned yesterday. Game is bought! Eagerly awaiting for download to finish. It's going so slow. :(

I think I've made up my mind. Definitely going Charr warrior for my first roll.

Retro

Like I mentioned yesterday. Game is bought! Eagerly awaiting for download to finish. It's going so slow. :(

I think I've made up my mind. Definitely going Charr warrior for my first roll.

It was the Charr Plushie that pushed you to that conclusion, admit it.

As to your download speed, I think a lot of people might have gotten the game as a Christmas present.

Lizard with a ladder

It was the Charr Plushie that pushed you to that conclusion, admit it.

As to your download speed, I think a lot of people might have gotten the game as a Christmas present.

lol the plushie might have had something to do with it. Ironically enough, I just finished watching A Game of Thrones season 1 last night for the first time. Seeing that pic brought a smile to my face.

Edit - Download is at 71% but the speed dropped from 2mbps to 700kb :(

Edit 2- Download is now complete. Time to play. :D

Merry Christmas everyone!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Pro-tip: If you're exploring Orr, get some Ash Legion Spy Kits.

Perfect for getting those annoying skill points surrounded by mobs

I haven't played TSW but avoid Guild Wars 2 at all costs, it's typical MMO crap with collect 20 of these kill 30 of those fetch quests. There is no justification for it considering it has no monthly fee and the carrot on the stick mechanic isn't needed here. None of the skills act like Magic the Gathering cards anymore like they did in GW1. Also every quest outside story quests is a zerg rush, fucken pathetic.

The game was ment to revolutionize the MMO genre but all we got is a WoW clone. Get Guild Wars 1 instead.

I didn't want to reply to this in that gaming thread so I'll post my "lol" here.

Lizard with a ladder

Just starting up and I'm at the server selection screen. Was hoping to join the server you guys all play on but it's full. There doesn't seem to be any kind of a queue system in place either. If I pick another server now. Only way to join you guys later is to pony up the transfer fee right?

Levyne

Banned
Just starting up and I'm at the server selection screen. Was hoping to join the server you guys all play on but it's full. There doesn't seem to be any kind of a queue system in place either. If I pick another server now. Only way to join you guys later is to pony up the transfer fee right?

I've never needed to server transfer so I am unsure, but I believe they are still free but may be limited to once a week or something.

Haven't played much, been doing family stuff, playing some couch co-op with my brothers/relatives, etc. Might be on later though!

Lizard with a ladder

I've never needed to server transfer so I am unsure, but I believe they are still free but may be limited to once a week or something.

Haven't played much, been doing family stuff, playing some couch co-op with my brothers/relatives, etc. Might be on later though!

Well if the transfer is indeed free, then I can finally start my game. Reading the wiki and seeing this, made me a little hesitant.
The game is on multiple servers or "worlds," but players will not be bound to a world/server. They can visit other servers at any time using guest mode (Guest mode will not be available at launch but will be added later), but will not be able to participate in PvP on behalf of the server they are visiting. They can permanently change servers easily by paying a fee of 1800 gems, which are purchased through the cash store, but there is a restriction of changing servers once every seven days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom