• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I didn't want to reply to this in that gaming thread so I'll post my "lol" here.

Yeah, I'm glad I had Christmas stuff to do today instead of stumbling across that thread when it was active. Now it's fallen well off the first page and I'm not about to bump it. Some pretty hideous responses in there.

Yeah, I skimmed through it quickly and it looks like a lot of the usual garbage, but I ain't even mad, bro. They're just missing out.

I was going to post and just to tell the op that he should check the community threads for each game se he can hear from people who actually play the games still.

jersoc

Pro-tip: If you're exploring Orr, get some Ash Legion Spy Kits.

Perfect for getting those annoying skill points surrounded by mobs

also great for even easier rich oric mining too. I use these all the time for it. Anet should just remove that champ already. it stops no one lol.

Gametrailers' "Best MMO 2012", Guild Wars 2.

PC Gamer's "MMO of the Year 2012", Guild Wars 2.

Year of the Dragon continues.

It seems like a new day a new GotY award for Anet/GW2, lol.

also great for even easier rich oric mining too. I use these all the time for it. Anet should just remove that champ already. it stops no one lol.

I use them for skill points nodes that are protected by Vets/Champs too. I also had to use them in Arah Path 1. I hope they don't nerf it until I get the rest of the Paths done. I want my Dungeon Master title.

Trey

The best thing I can say about GW2 is that it doesn't insult the intelligence of its players. You get exactly what you put into the game.

Levyne

Banned
Finally got my AR to 30 today by crafting my second pre-baked ring. Take that rng.

Time to slowly rebuild my gold stash!

And I should get the pair of +10% mf rings to replace my opal ones!

And I should finish the dungeon paths I haven't done!

And then maybe finally level an alt!

btw I love this game

Proven

Christmas Loot!
The best thing about Guild Wars 2 is that you don't have to play all the time. And the worst thing about GAF Guild is that we have to clear out people who follow that advice from time to time. All I want for Christmas is a higher guild cap.

Okay, second worse thing, after my puns.

For me, it's just that outside of a few things here and there, most of my time in game is taken up by other guilds. I have one guild of real life friends that log in sporadically, and after that is a guild I WvW with constantly. I'm not the only GAFfer in that guild though.

So my resolution, since I still have a bunch of alts to level, is to play more PvE with the rest of the guild on general. Then maybe lead some semi-regular WvW nights. The server's WvW participation has leveled off to the point where it's easy to get a group of ten or so on one map without queues.

I posted this in the sale thread and got some good advice but figured I would ask here too since you guys play all the time.

how is the game? would you guys recommend it ?

history, I loved EQ played for years and years, then moved to WOW up until BC and then stopped, played SWTOR but only for 30 days.

thanks!

Arksy

Yeah it's pretty sweet. There's no sub so there's no real collateral after you make the purchase, and given that it's getting MONTHLY content updates, I'd say it's one of the biggest bargains in gaming atm.

Really depends on what you want out of an MMO. I personally wouldn't recommend GW2 if you're looking for some good PVP.

That's fair, but I wouldn't recommend any MMO over a MOBA if that's all you were looking for.

etiolate

Banned
I think MOBAs are overrated and lack skillshots and other avenues of skill that a 3rd person action game has. GW2 PVP can be awesome if they get the right modes in and improve traits. Right now WvWvW is the stronger pvp mode even if its less structured and more zergy at times, but GW1 spvp was so awesome that I still think they can get GW2 pvp to that point.

Arksy

I think MOBAs are overrated and lack skillshots and other avenues of skill that a 3rd person action game has. GW2 PVP can be awesome if they get the right modes in and improve traits. Right now WvWvW is the stronger pvp mode even if its less structured and more zergy at times, but GW1 spvp was so awesome that I still think they can get GW2 pvp to that point.

Lack skillshots? What kind of weed are you smoking man? There are tonnes of skillshots in MOBAs, at least the one I play (Heroes of Newerth). I haven't seen anything in any MMO to the tune of the kinds of skillshots you require in HoN with heroes like Valkyrie with her arrow stun and Pharaoh with his ultimate. Let alone skillshots that include ground targetted stuns, delayed cast stuns, delayed cast damage and the like.

Don't get me wrong, within the current crop of fantasy MMOs GW2 is clearly the best but I still think on balance, MOBAs are far superior.

etiolate

Banned
Haven't played HoN. I just find RTS type controls to be limiting in what can go on.

As for Panda's Question: Most everything in the game is done at a high quality. The game has regular updates. The community is nicer than WoW (imo). The variety of things to do is impressive for an MMO four months old and there's stuff to do that exists somewhere on a dev table that haven't been shoved in yet (Shooting Gallery, Polymock) and datamined things that I'd love to see put in (player created treasure hunts). There's also things that people had little clue about that have been added (Fractals dungeon, Holiday music games that I'd like to see brought into regular play).

The game world is perhaps one of the most impressive MMO game worlds to be had. It certainly felt like the most impressive world for me since my first time playing WoW.

Issues are things like culling, further loot improvements, still bugs skittered about, and PVP modes needing the sort of attention that PVE has gotten. Ascended gear is its own issue that ties into Fractals and what they're doing to population concentration in the world, but that's a bit of a can of worms that someone that likes vertical progression might not mind but someone who doesn't like continued vertical progression really gets heartburn over.

Oh, and the story is hit and miss, and fades out towards the end. Some of the starter racial storylines are good fun. Some are a bit lame or uninteresting. Some of the Order stuff is pretty cool and even if the story isn't interesting, the story quest activities are. Towards the end everything merges and there's continuity issues and you get tired of constant undead.

etiolate

Banned
The odd thing is that GW1 Prophecies had this same sort of disconnected story full of unfinished strands. Then Factions and Nightfall had focused stories that improved upon this, and then EotN sort of finished up a lot of stories, as did the GW Extended stuff. So I figured that they had learned their lesson from Prophecies.

Not so much.

Trey

GW2 official forums suck, too. I can't get my mind around some of the poorly presented opinions there.

The odd thing is that GW1 Prophecies had this same sort of disconnected story full of unfinished strands. Then Factions and Nightfall had focused stories that improved upon this, and then EotN sort of finished up a lot of stories, as did the GW Extended stuff. So I figured that they had learned their lesson from Prophecies.

Not so much.

The corniness of the story is only outstripped by the mediocrity of the presentation.

I picked this up from Amazon earlier and got a bit of questing in. I made a sinister looking Human Engineer then I had to stop because I found it really jarring that Nolan North's was the voice the one coming out of his mouth. Especially considering he's a big black guy.

Ended up with a Female Norn Elementalist. Not sure how to feel so far. Pretty typical I guess. No one seems to be talking which is a bit of a shame. This is on a Very High capacity server too. I couldn't get onto storm bluff whatever. I'll see if I can transfer late in the night.

Arksy

I picked this up from Amazon earlier and got a bit of questing in. I made a sinister looking Human Engineer then I had to stop because I found it really jarring that Nolan North's was the voice the one coming out of his mouth. Especially considering he's a big black guy.

Ended up with a Female Norn Elementalist. Not sure how to feel so far. Pretty typical I guess. No one seems to be talking which is a bit of a shame. This is on a Very High capacity server too. I couldn't get onto storm bluff whatever. I'll see if I can transfer late in the night.

Keep trying and make sure to get into the GAF guild (you don't have to be on the same server to be in a guild), no end of good conversation with awesome people there. :)

Charr have a decent voice, except when they go over fire and they welp out loud, it's enough to drive you insane.

Ghost23

Have you been to Lion's Arch yet?

Arcteryx

Was dicking around in WvW today and overheard that WM left for another server. Shiiiiiiiet.

Who will defend our keeps during the darkest hours?

Oh well, not like our guild ever played WvW en masse aside from launch. We're strickly PvE aside from a few of us who jump in WvW from time to time.
Planetside 2 is the real WvW anyways =P

And make no mistake, WM, like many, are still waiting for GW1 PvP to come back. WvW is just a distraction until then.

Oh well, not like our guild ever played WvW en masse aside from launch. We're strickly PvE aside from a few of us who jump in WvW from time to time.
Planetside 2 is the real WvW anyways =P

And make no mistake, WM, like many, are still waiting for GW1 PvP to come back.

I'd be fine with just different PVP types other than the territory caps. The snowball fight is some of the best most fun PVP I have seen in this game.

Proven

Yep, Kaineng. They were sick of the T1 antics, which I don't blame them on.

Which antics specifically? Culling and Portal Bomb issues or other stuff? I've unfortunately spent the last month away from WvW, except for a few dips here and there for the monthly.

Which antics specifically? Culling and Portal Bomb issues or other stuff? I've unfortunately spent the last month away from WvW, except for a few dips here and there for the monthly.

General trolling and trash-talking spam from some of the rival guilds was the last straw. The cheating/exploiting (like scaling enemy walls, spies on other servers) and Anet being slow to fix bugs/exploits also contributed.

Trey

Tier 1 since launch, aside from one week. I had fun every time I stepped into WvW. I'll miss being in the most competitive tier.

etiolate

Banned
On of the WM leaders made a post on guru about a bunch of Agg members from SoS spamming him with trash talk. I imagine that was the tipping point.

Trey

On of the WM leaders made a post on guru about a bunch of Agg members from SoS spamming him with trash talk. I imagine that was the tipping point.

Oh well. It's a good look for SoS to sabotage their strongest competition for NA domination with a little trash talk. Hope WM at least reported Agg before they took their ball and went home.

WEll, just picked this up yesterday w Amazon's 50% off sale, I had a few questions that I didn't see answered in the OPs.

1. Are there servers in this game, will I have to join a particular server to join the NeoGAF guild?
2. Similarly, are there PVP servers? I've been kinda in the mood to PVP, and I heard this game was good for it.
3. Any classes that are particularly awful? I was looking at thief and necro, are they fun?

etiolate

Banned
WEll, just picked this up yesterday w Amazon's 50% off sale, I had a few questions that I didn't see answered in the OPs.

1. Are there servers in this game, will I have to join a particular server to join the NeoGAF guild?
2. Similarly, are there PVP servers? I've been kinda in the mood to PVP, and I heard this game was good for it.
3. Any classes that are particularly awful? I was looking at thief and necro, are they fun?

1. There are servers. You don't have to be on GAFs sever to join the guild. The GAF server is Stormbluff Isle. There may be room on it now that a big guild has transferred off. Eventually and hopefully soon, there will be guesting that allows people to guest on other servers for no charge.
2. There's no PVP servers. There's a Structured PVP mode that you can go to at any time and be upleveld to 80 with max gear. There's also WvWvW that you can join at any level and be upleveled to 80, but retain your current gear and skills.
3. I don't think any class is awful at this point. Necro was weaker, but people seem to be liking it more after some patches. You will probably try a few classes before settling on one you like. A lot of people tend to do that.

1. There are servers. You don't have to be on GAFs sever to join the guild. The GAF server is Stormbluff Isle. There may be room on it now that a big guild has transferred off. Eventually and hopefully soon, there will be guesting that allows people to guest on other servers for no charge.

So how does it work if I am not on that server, I can join the guild but can't quest with anyone? Guilds are cross server? It seems a little confusing.

Rawk Hawk

So how does it work if I am not on that server, I can join the guild but can't quest with anyone? Guilds are cross server? It seems a little confusing.
Not roam the world and quest with us, but dungeons can be done cross servers. You can transfer servers for free (with a 7 day cool down), so start up a character anywhere you can and just check the servers before you get on or off every day and within a week or so I'm sure you'll be on Stormbouff with us. You can join our guild and chat in /guild with us regardless of server, so we'll all be there to help if you have questions while online.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My advice for new players is to not start with mesmer, it takes too long to level via PvE versus other classes that it might put people off the game. That behind said, DO make your second character a mesmer because they are super fun to play in PvP and other things, it's just easier to level them once you've already got the hang of the game.

My advice for new players is to not start with mesmer, it takes too long to level via PvE versus other classes that it might put people off the game. That behind said, DO make your second character a mesmer because they are super fun to play in PvP and other things, it's just easier to level them once you've already got the hang of the game.

This Gaffer speaks the truth. I started a Mesmer and it put me off the game since release. I am slowly getting back into it as a Guardian but it is an uphill climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom