• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

The mesmer is this odd slow grind from about 10-12 to 50 or so. After that the class really opens up to you because you can create actual builds.

On a side note, dropping a tier means that people might actually be able to join the rest of us on SBI now.

Edit: Someone was just able to transfer over. I suppose it's taking effect already.

My advice for all players; make friends.

There is a social conditioning in online gaming going on that cool people will somehow just naturally warp around you upon playing. This is not the case. You will need to make a legitimate effort and be awesome and a true adventurer to make people want to play with you.

It's a harsh thing to say but many people don't bring a whole lot to the table. I guarantee you that if you are bored, the solution is to find great folk. It's the people, the players that add meaning and context to this world.
Upon first playing it might seem like it's harder to find meaningful friendship because everyone can do everything and spec in different roles and be self reliant and always do something else that will reward them meaningful, meaning that you need other players less.

In other games you need other people. Literally. You can't get that heroric/group thing without the help from others. That's the thing about capitalism. It makes opposing sites, even if they don't like each other, work together for profit. But I am telling you that you need to find people, add them to your friends list, and go havoc with them in the world.

Thanks to scaling you have no excuse. Even if its not the "Most optimal money gaining / experience gaining" way you should do it for the e-bromanship and your long term enjoyment. Don't be preoccupied with the short term goals of shaving off x amount of time by being most efficent at the statistics and numbers.

I swapped servers 4 times, and was in 6-8 different guilds before I found likeminded people. You can do it, but it takes effort. But you won't regret it when you find people who are cool as hell.

Ways to do it; you can try following people, try to be friendly and talk, rez people and help them out, try to say out loud in /map that X group event is going on to foster a organic group to inspire kinship.
Helping new players is also a good way to inspire loyalty. They often have questions and need help. That newb who is coming in for the first time who is not even comfortable playing with WASD keys, might be the coolest dude later if he sticks around.

GW2 gives a lot of social freedom, but the habbits of old are strong of people being force fed into things, not because of want but because of being forced to, has made a conditioning for people not to actively take responsibility for their own fun.
Those of us who came from before the EQ style, knows a thing or two about being responsibile for your own fun.
And this goes for most online games I think. "this is boring" really often (I think) boils down to "I did not play with the right folks and didn't have any meaningful experiences of the sort that only MMOs can provide". Any other game would be just as boring if not exposed to the right people.
IMO it changes everything. And it's not because you need to be a social parrot. I think even a lone wolf who prefers solo benefits greatly from a great passive kinship due to sense of belonging and goals for the group as opposed to singular individual pixel gains.

dot

My advice for all players; make friends.

This is a damn good post. I have to agree 100%.

Heck, if it weren't for my friend i honestly wouldn't play this game as much. I probably would have reached level 80 and just quit. My good friend is the sole reason that i even stick around anymore, so friendships do go a long way in games like this.

And yes, thank you Kuro for the mail!

Katoki

That post is legit. However, how does the cool people automatically warping around you part work? I don't recall it ever being that way in anything.

It is indeed the people you meet that make this game great. It's the people that you end up partying with all the time that make it fun. It also helps when you know what they're capable of. That way you know how far you can push yourself based on what they're doing as well and where to compensate if something goes wrong when they're trying something new out. It's that kind of ability to compensate and adjust between a knit group that make even the worst encounters successful and something to be proud of later.

I think I would've quit already as well if it weren't for the people I've met playing this game. I'm one of those guys at 1300+ hours.

timeplayed.jpg

Someday, I'm going to play video games again. Reasonably sure.

I agree with you here. I plan to take a few days off later on and play Darksiders 2 or whatever game I've bought from this Steam holiday.

Hope to see more folks at the GAFGuild event this Saturday, the times have been posted to begin at about 6pm EST.

I have such a huge backlog due to this game.....Like Wallach said, someday, maybe, I'll get to them.....

I think Wallach meant he has been so busy with Christmas stuff he might get a chance to start playing Guild Wars 2 again and not other games.

Other games are too boring.

My advice for new players is to not start with mesmer, it takes too long to level via PvE versus other classes that it might put people off the game. That behind said, DO make your second character a mesmer because they are super fun to play in PvP and other things, it's just easier to level them once you've already got the hang of the game.

Luckily I read this after I just reached level 35 on my first character, a human Mesmer, because I've loved it so far :).

How do I change the UI scale and font size in the game? I play on an HTPC, and I have to squint to read a fair bit of the text on the screen. I've looked around online, but I don't see the UI options people mentioned anywhere.

Edit: Nvm, found it, I have no idea how I missed it before. Weird brain fart it seems. Of to keep putzing around as a thief.

Vossler

Halo 4 is getting undeservedly neglected at the moment. SSX and Marvel, too.

Halo 4, Hitman: Absolution, AC III, FarCry 3, and Sleeping Dogs all hate me at the moment, not to mention PSASBR, Most Wanted on MGS HD on the VITA, and Crimson Shroud on the 3ds.....ugh.

question about whispering:

After I /w it sets me in whisper mode but when I try to send the message to join the guild it won't let me hit enter to send it. so when I say "/w Gojira it's bishopcruz from GAF can you invite me?" for example, it just stays in the purple box and nothing happens. I assume that no officers are on. Is there a way I can check to see who is on to sent the whisper?

Past that though, the game has been pretty cool thus far. My personal story is fairly cool so far, the game looks great, and there are events CONSTANTLY, though leveling seems a bit slow.

Also, a question about the leveling system, if I group with a buddy of a higher level, I become his level while I am in his area? Does that mean that I gain access to new skills temporarily, or do my current skills become more powerful for a while?

jersoc

you don't go up level, only down. and no, you don't get an extra skills in that respect.

the only time you do go up is wvw or other events where anet scales everyone to 80.

Hello Everyone! I just bought and downloaded this game. Going to start my character soon. I'll be playing on the Stormbluff Island asap! :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Happy Holidays everybody!

I too am overstuffed with games but I'm housesitting for my sister again so GW2 is more or less all I can access! (The horror :p)

So, I'm taking my time and just doing what I feel like. Plenty of Holiday Dungeoning with you fine people, done the JP twice, and holy crap snowball fight is fun. I got my two minis from Tixx and I'm saving up for the Gem Store staff which my little Ele (whom I've been able to level a bit during this too) will one day wield. Also got my mesmer to 80 and almost in full exotics.

Still need about half my WvW kills by the end of Dec. for my monthly, though!
Also, a question about the leveling system, if I group with a buddy of a higher level, I become his level while I am in his area? Does that mean that I gain access to new skills temporarily, or do my current skills become more powerful for a while?
Luckily (from my perspective) there's no scaling UP to be more powerful, which could really break any sense of progression in the game whatsoever- instead, if you're in an area that's too high, you'll be at your "true" level, and everything will be crazy difficult. However, should you manage to succeed, either through steadfast skill or grouping with higher leveled players and contributing to quests and events- you'll be rewarded with tons of XP. Some of my most fun experiences in the game were tackling content 5-10 levels "too high." Not recommended to try alone until level 30, though.

edit: re: Mesmers

I definitely wouldn't recommend against starting with one as your first character- just be aware that it's a stiff, challenging climb and a harsher learning curve than other classes. Being a Mesmer solo in the early game really forces you to get good at the core game mechanics quickly IMO; with my thief, I was able to succeed playing "basic MMO style" until the 30s really, and had far fewer deaths up to that point than on my Mesmer. However, Mesmer is incredibly rewarding once you get to see all the layers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I'm surprised you all managed to keep from quitting the guild without my presence in this thread.
Thanks to scaling you have no excuse. Even if its not the "Most optimal money gaining / experience gaining" way you should do it for the e-bromanship and your long term enjoyment. Don't be preoccupied with the short term goals of shaving off x amount of time by being most efficent at the statistics and numbers.
Missed this line buried in that truly awesome post.

I agree with this so hard it would scare the neighbors! I've had incredibly memorable, fun experiences running around in areas 40+ levels "too low" for me, and contrary to what mix-maxers might tell you, you can get legit money and xp doing so, which alone is a step so far beyond most other MMOs it's a real shame it isn't talked about more. Really, the game shines when you get a party of people who just want to do something and do it. There's lots of hidden stuff to find, mysterious NPCs who just might point you toward something even with no floaty icon above their heads, and enough avenues of reward to keep you coming back for hundreds of hours.

My saddest experience in the game was after doing a PUG of the first dungeon, Ascalonian Catacombs, with a newbie at level 30 and 3 other fairly high-leveled peeps. After the dungeon the newbie wanted to run around and quest a bit and the other 3 guys basically said "no way, XP is shit" and left the group. But he and I just ran around together and had a lot of fun anyway. I took him through LA to Metrica Province and it blew his mind a little that you could hop to other starting zones so easily ("So you can just go here anytime??"). Luckily, our guildies generally seem pretty adventurous. I've been summoned to help complete jumping puzzles, kill centaur shamans and giants, and had help summoned to me when overwhelmed by spiders or dead in a bush like twenty feet from the waypoint I needed. <3

I guess just a PSA in summary: if you see someone in map chat ask for help with something, take a few minutes and do it! You never know what you'll get into along the way.

Really, for those of you just coming into the game - welcome!

We have occasional people that will run dungeons (though not necessarily story mode) for those that want to advance their characters and see how tough some dungeons are. Remember to sign up on www.gafguild.com so you can see some other events or to request additional help if needed.

If I wasn't so darn sick...argh!

Wallach

I think Wallach meant he has been so busy with Christmas stuff he might get a chance to start playing Guild Wars 2 again and not other games.

Other games are too boring.

Pretty much. Last time I was logged in was the last time I've had the time to sit and play. Things are slowing down finally.

Ashodin

I've been incredibly busy over the past few days myself. I popped on last night, but it's been pretty steady family time for a while there.

etiolate

Banned
I played last night after being out of town for Christmas. Then I'll be out of town again over the weekend and New Years.

I am hoping for some January patch clues when I return.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's been months since I last played Guild Wars 2. How has the game changed since then?
Did you leave before or after Fractals? Lots of events fixed and the like. Probably considerably boosted dungeon rewards since you last played. Rare materials storage added. Bunch of class changes of course as well.

And everything is Wintery right now for a few more days. There are minigames and minis and a jumping puzzle that are gonna go away on the 4th!

But if I remember right, you weren't really enjoying yourself when just playing the core game. Sorry to say I doubt quite enough has been modified in that regard to be a vastly different experience.

Did you leave before or after Fractals? Lots of events fixed and the like. Probably considerably boosted dungeon rewards since you last played. Rare materials storage added. Bunch of class changes of course as well.

And everything is Wintery right now for a few more days. There are minigames and minis and a jumping puzzle that are gonna go away on the 4th!

But if I remember right, you weren't really enjoying yourself when just playing the core game. Sorry to say I doubt quite enough has been modified in that regard to be a vastly different experience.
Thanks.

Retro

I was on yesterday morning, to bang out the last of the Holiday achievements I want (mostly just the JP and Toypocalypse), but I will confess I've been playing Borderlands 2 a bit since my wife got it for me for Christmas. I've also had a sick cat to deal with.

Planning to hit up WvW a bit tomorrow and this weekend, so I can wrap up my monthly. I also want to get my engineer up so I can start doing some dungeons with him.

Retro

Hope your kittykat is okay Retro!

Early stages of renal failure, so we're still trying to balance "get her to eat" with "get her to eat a kidney-safe diet" while juggling her fluid intake and general grouchiness (she will not take medicine at all). Until we get her sorted out, one of the side effects is constipation (which causes her to not eat and drink, which exacerbates the problem) so twice now we've had to take her to the vet because she was straining and making herself throw up. We're trying dry KD food now, and I picked up a tube of tuna-flavored laxative to try.

Yummy.

We should start a rumor that catnip-flavored cat laxatives can get you super high, and then laugh as a wave of teenage incontinence sweeps the continent.

TrounceX

Oh hey guys, I picked up GW2 the other day for $30 and have just started playing.

I'm super new to MMO's, my only other experience being ToR for a couple days, and I have to say that so far GW2 blows that game out of the water. I've been walking around Divinity's Reach and the surrounding area all day long in a trance of pure gaming bliss. I still can't get over how huge the environments are, and my god the game is drop dead gorgeous - 1440p at the max settings nearly made my head explode haha.

Anyways, just wanted to check in and see if there was an active GAF community still playing. None of my friends play MMO's so I thought hey, maybe it would be fun to play with some gaffers.

So yeah, my display name is Advent.3276 if anyone wants to add me or whatever. Like I said, I'm a total noob, but I do learn fast. I promise I won't be too annoying. :)

TrounceX

Hey TrounceX, don't try playing with a gamepad or you might overdose on that gaming bliss you mentioned.

You wanna join the guild or what? :D

Hah, I was just complaining to a friend how stupid I feel playing PC games because I'm so used to a controller.

And yes, I definitely want to join the guild. Is there a particular server you guys are all on?

edit: I knew I recognized your name Hawkian! From the P90X thread!

Retro

Hah, I was just complaining to a friend how stupid I feel playing PC games because I'm so used to a controller.

And yes, I definitely want to join the guild. Is there a particular server you guys are all on?

GAFguild is on Stormbluff Isle, though it it's usually listed as full. You can still join the guild, regardless of which server you are on though. At the very least you have a place to ask questions and chat with gaffers in-game.

Vossler

Finally about to hit 60 on my Guardian, which will happen tonight. Tier 2 Human cultural here I come! Not quite sure what route I'm going to go at 80 though...

Ran the first dungeon last night with some random group. That was fun, even if I was the weak link :eek:.

Running that also allowed me to buy the Master's training journal. Bleed on my illusions now :D.

And randomly fighting some Ogres netted me my first rare/yellow staff.

If anyone wants to add me, I'm buch.4071 in-game & I'm on Stormbluff.

Hey TrounceX, don't try playing with a gamepad or you might overdose on that gaming bliss you mentioned.

You wanna join the guild or what? :D

As someone who's just learning about these controller mapping programs, is it possible to customize this once it's on our computer? I've got a controller map right now that I really like, but has no good UI control, so I'd like to mess around with this and see if I can accomplish anything.

As someone who's just learning about these controller mapping programs, is it possible to customize this once it's on our computer? I've got a controller map right now that I really like, but has no good UI control, so I'd like to mess around with this and see if I can accomplish anything.

It uses Xpadder so I don't see why it couldn't.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Absolutely. It's a free legacy version of Xpadder included, everything is fully customizable and I'm happy to help if you're trying to achieve something in particular.

Abandond

I am going to try using that controller set up for my warrior. I cannot use iton my elementalist, can't quickly cast multiple things at once which is what I need to do.

Ok, I'm weighing options here to find a new and fun time sink. I'm considering jumping back into EVE, buying Diablo 3 or giving GW2 a shot... my question regarding GW2 is whether it's a PVP focused MMO? -- I'm a huge fan of PVE, co-op adventuring and loot. And scenic vistas. And Majestic structures. Exploring pretty much. PVP just isn't my thing. I was simply wondering if I'd be missing out on a good portion of content if I avoided PVP (for the most part).

Wallach

Ok, I'm weighing options here to find a new and fun time sink. I'm considering jumping back into EVE, buying Diablo 3 or giving GW2 a shot... my question regarding GW2 is whether it's a PVP focused MMO? -- I'm a huge fan of PVE, co-op adventuring and loot. And scenic vistas. And Majestic structures. Exploring pretty much. PVP just isn't my thing. I was simply wondering if I'd be missing out on a good portion of content if I avoided PVP (for the most part).

This is pretty much the best MMO for PvE exploration out there. I would certainly not call it a PvP-centric game. Not right now.

oktarb

As someone who recently got back into EVE and still plays GW2 I'd have to say the GW2 is as PvP focused as you want it to be. I tend not to PvP in GW2 but enjoy the view and low key vibe. EVE is about creating something permanent and long term but more stressful for sure. Guild Wars 2 will be in my circulation for a long time and I have no intention of ever really getting into PvP.

Retro

There are essentially three game modes in Guild Wars 2; PvE, PVP and WvW.

PvE, in my opinion, sets a new standard for the genre and if your main interest in an MMO is exploring and questing, you will definitely have a great time. If all you're looking for is a world full of things to do, dungeons to run, etc., then you'll be more than happy.

PvP has all players automatically leveled to 80, with all skills and traits unlocked, with standardized gear. Victory is determined by tactics and skill rather than one side's ability to grind better gear. You say you're not a fan of MMO PVP, but that may just be because (again, in my opinion) most MMOs have terrible PVP. Unfortunately, even with that strong starting point, it's not in a very good place right now, but hopefully changes are coming.

WvW is World versus World (versus World, technically), and pits three servers against each other to control supply camps, towers, fortresses and a keep across 4 large maps, using siege engines and (at least in theory) strategy to win glory for their home world.

The reason I mention it is that WvW sort of plays like PVE/P in a way; yes, you are often fighting other players, but unless you're wandering around it's rarely 1v1. It might be a competitive mode you enjoy without being full-on arena-based PVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom