• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

So, I finally got a 2000 gems gift card. What quality-of-life improvements should I be looking for in the gem store? I'm thinking of a bank expansion and another character slot. Anything else? Plush griffon?

Retro

So, I finally got a 2000 gems gift card. What quality-of-life improvements should I be looking for in the gem store? I'm thinking of a bank expansion and another character slot. Anything else? Plush griffon?

You can get the plush gryphon if you have the frame (from Tixx's toy dungeon, in LA until the 3rd) and 250 stuffing, glue and cogs. You SHOULD have the cogs in the mail, if not you should get them from Tixx. Likewise the glue and stuffing.

Or you can just buy it to avoid the headache of finding a group for that.

Character slots are good, Bank slots are good. Save the rest if you ever want to change a character's appearance or they add something awesome to buy in January.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am going to try using that controller set up for my warrior. I cannot use iton my elementalist, can't quickly cast multiple things at once which is what I need to do.
I'm wondering- did you try it out on an already-leveled Ele or learn it while leveling up?

I had my doubts but in leveling my little bitty Ele I actually think it is completely viable unless I misunderstood what you meant by cast multiple things at once. How does your ability to quickly cast things differ from using the keyboard?

If you mean swapping attunements, it's definitely got a steep learning curve and I need to unlearn habits with the F1 skills as well as weapon-swapping, but once you start to associate an element with a d-pad direction, and get your rotation to thinking about it in gamepad terms: say, Up, 3, 4, Left, 7, 4, Down, 4, 2, it feels pretty natural (and kind of awesome) to me actually. It's complex, but Eles are a complex class.
Ok, I'm weighing options here to find a new and fun time sink. I'm considering jumping back into EVE, buying Diablo 3 or giving GW2 a shot... my question regarding GW2 is whether it's a PVP focused MMO? -- I'm a huge fan of PVE, co-op adventuring and loot. And scenic vistas. And Majestic structures. Exploring pretty much. PVP just isn't my thing. I was simply wondering if I'd be missing out on a good portion of content if I avoided PVP (for the most part).
I feel quite confident that you will absolutely love this game. You might even find yourself enjoying WvW if you give it a shot.

Do not buy Diablo III.

Aquila

You can get the plush gryphon if you have the frame (from Tixx's toy dungeon, in LA until the 3rd) and 250 stuffing, glue and cogs. You SHOULD have the cogs in the mail, if not you should get them from Tixx. Likewise the glue and stuffing.

Or you can just buy it to avoid the headache of finding a group for that.

Character slots are good, Bank slots are good. Save the rest if you ever want to change a character's appearance or they add something awesome to buy in January.

Yeah, I already have all of the frames, stuffing, glue, and cogs from Tixx. Just can't decide if I want the gryphon tonic or plush or both. Thanks for the info though. I think I will just get the bank and character slots for now (and watch anet put 'em both on sale next week).

I am going to try using that controller set up for my warrior. I cannot use iton my elementalist, can't quickly cast multiple things at once which is what I need to do.

Hawkian's controller setup is perfectly fine for a dagger/dagger or even a scepter build elementalist but I'm assuming you're like me and can't necessarily fast cast aoe by analog stick. There is a literal 'fast cast' option in your settings where you can disable your aoe target symbol and instead instantly cast those spells wherever your mouse pointer is at. I would try playing with that setting before cutting your losses just yet.

Retro

Do not buy Diablo III.

This cannot be said enough. Sorry to any Diablo fans, I used to count myself among your ranks, but... yeah... "Going back to the drawing board" for PVP? That's very very very bad that they're willing to publicly say that, because it means internally the situation is probably much worse. Like people losing their jobs worse.

/mini rant

Aquila

Does it not work well for staff?

It can work, but mouse control just gives me that little bit more fine control for the ton of aoe abilities that staff gives you. I'll admit though that I didn't give your control scheme much chance before I switched back.

This cannot be said enough. Sorry to any Diablo fans, I used to count myself among your ranks, but... yeah... "Going back to the drawing board" for PVP? That's very very very bad that they're willing to publicly say that, because it means internally the situation is probably much worse. Like people losing their jobs worse.

/mini rant

This I agree with so much. This is one of the reasons why I should always test out a demo like the beta for GW2 before getting into it.

Retro

This I agree with so much. This is one of the reasons why I should always test out a demo like the beta for GW2 before getting into it.

Was there actually a way to test Diablo 3 before launch though, without forking over a year's subscription to WoW, that is (which, in itself, was such a blatant scam).

Retro

J2181.jpg

Event Trailer: http://youtu.be/AEjFSMtcTJY

Who?
Anyone on Stormbluff Isle, level 72 and above.

What
A three-pronged invasion of Orr, collectively the 3 high level zones of Guild Wars 2, lead by Warrior Keoni and his band of sargents and captains.

Where
Meet at Fort Trinity, in the Straits of Devastation.

When?
TODAY at 5:00 PM Eastern (2PM Pacific), to begin around 5:30. The event is expected to run for a few hours at the most.

Why?
To do something cool as a guild, out and about in the world for all to see and benefit from. This will open up several temples within Orr, so if you've been waiting to buy a specific piece of armor, chances are good the vendors will be available. It is also quite profitable in terms of XP, Karma and money to go into Orr in force.

Anything else?
Mumble is not mandatory for the event, but we'd like everyone to try and be on, if only to listen. If you don't have a working microphone, you can still listen in. The address can be found in the OP.

Also note that we will likely be streaming the event, or at the very least recording it for future use in a guild video, and lots of screenshots will be taken. Don't say/type anything you don't want preserved for future generations to cringe at.

Most importantly, have fun.

You can read more in the event thread at GAFGuild.com; http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/december-29-2012-operation-tidal-sword-active.246/

usea

Was there actually a way to test Diablo 3 before launch though, without forking over a year's subscription to WoW, that is (which, in itself, was such a blatant scam).
Yeah, access to the d3 beta was fairly common by closed-beta standards. All you have to do is check a box somewhere on the blizzard account site and you're opted-in for betas. At some point I got an email with access to it.

The game changed frequently and dramatically during beta. And it only had the early part of the story. So it wouldn't have been very useful for the hardcore diablo fan wanting to know how good the loot system was, for example. The blog was just as good as a source of information.

I enjoyed the beta. I played like 2 characters. Didn't buy the game though, I don't really care for that style of game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
J2181.jpg

Event Trailer: http://youtu.be/AEjFSMtcTJY

Who?
Anyone on Stormbluff Isle, level 72 and above.

What
A three-pronged invasion of Orr, collectively the 3 high level zones of Guild Wars 2, lead by Warrior Keoni and his band of sargents and captains.

Where
Meet at Fort Trinity, in the Straits of Devastation.

When?
TODAY at 5:00 PM Eastern (2PM Pacific), to begin around 5:30. The event is expected to run for a few hours at the most.

Why?
To do something cool as a guild, out and about in the world for all to see and benefit from. This will open up several temples within Orr, so if you've been waiting to buy a specific piece of armor, chances are good the vendors will be available. It is also quite profitable in terms of XP, Karma and money to go into Orr in force.

Anything else?
Mumble is not mandatory for the event, but we'd like everyone to try and be on, if only to listen. If you don't have a working microphone, you can still listen in. The address can be found in the OP.

Also note that we will likely be streaming the event, or at the very least recording it for future use in a guild video, and lots of screenshots will be taken. Don't say/type anything you don't want preserved for future generations to cringe at.

Most importantly, have fun.

You can read more in the event thread at GAFGuild.com; http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/december-29-2012-operation-tidal-sword-active.246/

Although they seem to be happening less frequently, I do enjoy how all the Guild events are miraculously happening on weekends where my gf is out of town.

Retro

Although they seem to be happening less frequently, I do enjoy how all the Guild events are miraculously happening on weekends where my gf is out of town.

You're just lucky, I guess. We try to schedule Jumping Puzzles / Fractal Races / Zone Completion events around ArenaNet's schedule (you'll note we didn't do any events during Halloween and most of Wintersday since we knew people would be occupied) and major holidays (when we know people will be doing stuff with their families).

I'll be honest though, I really hope lots of people show up for this one. GAF is one of the larger communities on SBI, but we haven't really done much as a collective group.

Hopefully we have lots of screenshots/video to make a halfway decent Youtube flick with. HaloGAF regularly does montages that are always great to watch, would love to get something like that going for us.

hythloday

Why?

Also, if you've never been to this area before, consider it your Orrientation.

:3

This is pretty much the best MMO for PvE exploration out there. I would certainly not call it a PvP-centric game. Not right now.

As someone who recently got back into EVE and still plays GW2 I'd have to say the GW2 is as PvP focused as you want it to be. I tend not to PvP in GW2 but enjoy the view and low key vibe. EVE is about creating something permanent and long term but more stressful for sure. Guild Wars 2 will be in my circulation for a long time and I have no intention of ever really getting into PvP.

There are essentially three game modes in Guild Wars 2; PvE, PVP and WvW.

PvE, in my opinion, sets a new standard for the genre and if your main interest in an MMO is exploring and questing, you will definitely have a great time. If all you're looking for is a world full of things to do, dungeons to run, etc., then you'll be more than happy.

PvP has all players automatically leveled to 80, with all skills and traits unlocked, with standardized gear. Victory is determined by tactics and skill rather than one side's ability to grind better gear. You say you're not a fan of MMO PVP, but that may just be because (again, in my opinion) most MMOs have terrible PVP. Unfortunately, even with that strong starting point, it's not in a very good place right now, but hopefully changes are coming.

WvW is World versus World (versus World, technically), and pits three servers against each other to control supply camps, towers, fortresses and a keep across 4 large maps, using siege engines and (at least in theory) strategy to win glory for their home world.

The reason I mention it is that WvW sort of plays like PVE/P in a way; yes, you are often fighting other players, but unless you're wandering around it's rarely 1v1. It might be a competitive mode you enjoy without being full-on arena-based PVP.

I feel quite confident that you will absolutely love this game. You might even find yourself enjoying WvW if you give it a shot.

Do not buy Diablo III.

And I'm sold. Watched a few gameplay videos as well, it definitely looks like my cup of tea. Thanks for the nudge(s) in the right direction. GMG had a (coupon 30% off) sale going as well, picked it up for $42. Downloading as we speak...

Retro

Also, if you've never been to this area before, consider it your Orrientation.

:3

And when people ask "How does Retro's wife put up with his awful sense of humor", you can now tell them "Because she is just as bad."

And I'm sold. Watched a few gameplay videos as well, it definitely looks like my cup of tea. Thanks for the nudge(s) in the right direction. GMG had a (coupon 30% off) sale going as well, picked it up for $42. Downloading as we speak...

I should have just posted the Manifesto Video. That's the one that turned most of us from "very interested" to the hype-aid sipping miscreants we are today.

Worth noting that, though some might disagree with the comments on grind (I personally don't), they've pretty much delivered on everything they promised in there. That's rare for an MMO to do.

Atrophis

Will be there for the guild event tonight. Nearly forgot though, too distracted by all these nice shiny new games I've got in the steam sale. Have barely seen any of the Orr zones so I'm really looking forward to it :D

My wife is also away for the weekend so you might even hear me on mumble.

Prezhulio

Picked it up during the amazon sale for $30, seems like an insane value. Looking forward to putting lots of time in with my necromancer on dragonbend. Do they eventually stop handing out utility skill points? Doesn't seem like there will be enough skills to fill out everything? I'm only lvl 17 so I may just be naive.

One question: is the thread title a joke about "events never"? Seems like a fair amount of events or am I misunderstanding something/just not hip to the joke?

hythloday

Picked it up during the amazon sale for $30, seems like an insane value. Looking forward to putting lots of time in with my necromancer on dragonbend. Do they eventually stop handing out utility skill points? Doesn't seem like there will be enough skills to fill out everything? I'm only lvl 17 so I may just be naive.

One question: is the thread title a joke about "events never"? Seems like a fair amount of events or am I misunderstanding something/just not hip to the joke?

Skill points are used as a currency for certain things. There are more than enough skill challenges throughout the world to fill up your skill bar, and once you hit 80, your exp bar keeps filling up and you get skill points instead of levels.

The thread title's kind of a joke. When the game first when live, a lot of the events were bugged, I think especially in Orr. Some might still be, I dunno. I find enough events to amuse myself when I'm wandering around these days though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really haven't run into a broken event in weeks, we should get a tweak on that. Surely there's something else the title could troll about. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anybody that hasn't been to Orr but wants to participate in the event and has a 70+ character, I'll be offering runs to Fort Trinity. Feel free to PM me in-game.

Zia

So... how often does GW2 go on sale? : (

Missed it the other day when it was $30 at Amazon. Very frustrated.

Retro

Just want to say that the event, currently underway, has been amazing so far. Really impressed with the turnout too. Pictures to follow, but because of culling I don't think they will do the size of our group justice.

Edit: And event is over. VERY nice turnout, will have the group photos up in a bit.

Atrophis

Event was sweet :D

Those last three zones are some of the best looking I've ever seen in an MMO.

Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

Retro

Here's the official group shots from tonight's event; one before and one at the end.

Edit: I turn post processing off for these, otherwise the light bloom is so intense you can't see people's faces.

Luigi87

Have two 80s, so started a ranger. Loving it.

Got to level 17, no deaths at all yet... and then I accidentally slipped off a mountain.
*sigh*

Also, wish I could have made it to the event, but been sick and slightly bed-ridden.

Retro

Also, wish I could have made it to the event, but been sick and slightly bed-ridden.

Don't worry, this is hopefully the first of many. I can see us doing large zone-wide events like this as they add future content. Hell, there's a couple times already where we've gotten together just to 100% a zone.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Here's the official group shots from tonight's event; one before and one at the end.

Edit: I turn post processing off for these, otherwise the light bloom is so intense you can't see people's faces.
Such a sexy Sylvari Guardian at the far right of the second picture.

Finally got this game, started as a human guardian, but i wasn't a fan of the human starting zone. I started up an asura engineer and got him to level 18. The game is tons of fun, but the starting zones seemed dead. Thankfully, Kessex hills seems more lively. The exploration is what makes this game, you are rewarding for going where you please. I'm mostly excited for the dungeons though.

Retro

Finally got this game, started as a human guardian, but i wasn't a fan of the human starting zone. I started up an asura engineer and got him to level 18. The game is tons of fun, but the starting zones seemed dead. Thankfully, Kessex hills seems more lively. The exploration is what makes this game, you are rewarding for going where you please. I'm mostly excited for the dungeons though.

First one is at level 30, and lucky for you, you can do dungeons cross-server. Whisper any of the officers in the OP for an invite to GAFGuild.

So after the event today a few of us took on Arah's story mode.
It was a terrible experience. It felt like half the time was spent shooting turrets with trash mobs slapping us occasionally, and the battle with Zhaitan was just shooting at him with turrets for far too long while he humped a building. I cannot see the Elder Dragons as anything approaching a serious threat when fighting one took less thought and effort than most personal story missions.

Also, Zhaitan is way smaller than the concept art in the loading screen implies.

EDIT:
I have to do all of this again to finish the personal story? Ugh....

Abandond

So after the event today a few of us took on Arah's story mode.
It was a terrible experience. It felt like half the time was spent shooting turrets with trash mobs slapping us occasionally, and the battle with Zhaitan was just shooting at him with turrets for far too long while he humped a building. I cannot see the Elder Dragons as anything approaching a serious threat when fighting one took less thought and effort than most personal story missions.

Also, Zhaitan is way smaller than the concept art in the loading screen implies.

EDIT:
I have to do all of this again to finish the personal story? Ugh....

Didn't have enough time to add mechanics to Zhaitan apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom