• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to the Arah team that was doing path 3 with me. I didn't know it was going to take so long and I had RL stuff I had to do. I am sorry me leaving caused you all to get kicked off.

Got on Stormbluff with my chracters (Whole bunch of server full messages during my usual playtime)

Made a Necro and am thinking about making a Mesmer next.

Only level 7 currently, not very much help at such a low level (heck Im still learning more and more about the game everyday) but would love to join up with you guys when I get a bit higher and levels and can be of some use.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally completed one of my Exotic armor sets for my Mesmer. Not really settled on dyes yet..
jbkQ7vU2DIVhsL.jpg

jTATLkkXpgZx2.jpg
Having swiftness whenever I want is SO MUCH BETTER.

Aquila

What is the D/D bunker build?

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, it's the 0 / 10/ 0/ 30/ 30 bunker/auramancer build popularized by WoodenPotatoes (I think?) and daphoenix (official d/d ele thread on gw2 forums).

10 in Air for 'Zephyr's Boon' so that auras grant fury and (near permanent) swiftness.

30 in Water for 'Soothing Disruption, Cleansing Wave, and Cleansing Water' so that cantrips give regen/vigor, attuning to water clears a condition from you and allies, and granting regen to you and allies clears a condition.

30 in Arcane for 'Elemental Attunement, Renewing Stamina, and Evasive Arcana' so that attunement change grants might/regen/swiftness/protection (fire, water, air, earth), you have 33% chance for vigor on crit, and you gain various aoe upon dodging.

Defensive-minded gear will turn you into a highly mobile guardian while offensive stuff like Berserker's will turn you into a glass cannon with excellent retreat options.

If you want, you can go 20 arcane or even 20 water and grab 10 fire for spellslinger (cantrips give 3 might) or 10 earth for 'Earth's Embrace' (armor of earth at 50% health). 'Evasive Arcana' has essentially been neutered from what it used to be so feel free to experiment. 'Blasting Staff, Final Shielding, Powerful Auras, etc.' are also fine substitute traits. Never go any less than 20 in arcane; the fact that attunement cooldown reduction is tied to arcane's bonus is beyond annoying.

Hawkian, I'm jealous. Still can't decide my final looks for my ele or engy....

Ricker

Sorry to the Arah team that was doing path 3 with me. I didn't know it was going to take so long and I had RL stuff I had to do. I am sorry me leaving caused you all to get kicked off.

Speaking of,how long is the first ''My Story'' run of Arah(I found it a bit odd that all the My Story stuff can be done solo all along and at the last quest,you need a group 5 to finish the whole questline)...and is it as stupidly hard as all the other dungeons?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Speaking of,how long is the first ''My Story'' run of Arah(I found it a bit odd that all the My Story stuff can be done solo all along and at the last quest,you need a group 5 to finish the whole questline)...and is it as stupidly hard as all the other dungeons?
The final mission, Victory or Death, is the worst thing I experienced in 2012, and I was still recovering from being struck by a car from January to April.

I'd pay 20$ to get a choice screen for orders and skip to the personal story epilogue.

KingKong

The final mission, Victory or Death, is the worst thing I experienced in 2012, and I was still recovering from being struck by a car from January to April.

I'd pay 20$ to skip to the personal story prologue.

It was pretty bad but the mission before that with that big Eye boss was 100x worse

It's not as bad as people will make it. Parts of the dungeon itself will make you go why?

I had a nice time finishing it, but I think part of the dungeon was broken during that storyline mission.

Here's the official group shots from tonight's event; one before and one at the end.

Edit: I turn post processing off for these, otherwise the light bloom is so intense you can't see people's faces.

I really need to get back into this. Was having a lot of fun until the onslaught of fall games ate up all my time.

Been playing a lot of Snowball Mayhem (scout is my favourite class) but haven't gotten the Gift Dropper achievement yet.

Still need one more achievement for Apprentice Toymaker. Not good with jumping puzzles and no one is doing the Infinarium events anymore (the lack of rewards for farming it is disappointing) so I guess I'll run around and create snowmen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Been playing a lot of Snowball Mayhem (scout is my favourite class) but haven't gotten the Gift Dropper achievement yet.

Still need one more achievement for Apprentice Toymaker. Not good with jumping puzzles and no one is doing the Infinarium events anymore (the lack of rewards for farming it is disappointing) so I guess I'll run around and create snowmen.
You can almost definitely get a group for Tixx if you post a GW2LFG listing. There's not much time left so you could probably find some other scramblers :)

Five of us went through it in about 45 minutes. It was on par with other dungeon story modes I would say.

The only part of the story I had a lot of trouble with was trying to solo the Mouth of Zhaitan. I had to get help with that fight. When I was doing it by myself I was at it for like 30 minutes and he still had 50% health. That also includes it bugging out and me having to restart it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why were you trying to solo the Mouth of Zhaitan? O.O

I like that fight a lot, can't imagine not having help though.

Verve

Having swiftness whenever I want is SO MUCH BETTER.

Temporal Curtain plus Warden's Feedback plus...?

Got my (human female) Mesmer to 80. Now going for 100% map but exploring is pretty tedious due to her running speed. Doesn't help that I've already seen everything as (asura male) Guardian who could pretty much activate swiftness all the time (Symbol of Swiftness, Retreat!, Save Yourselves!).

Wouldn't want to spend too much on special runes. Won't need the swiftness once at 100% and I'm constantly relatively short on cash. The latter might change once I have all crafting professions mastered..

Edit: If you're exploring in a group I can really recommend a staff guardian in combination with Retreat!. Swiftness for the whole group. My friends were pretty disappointed when I decided to level my Mesmer and everybody had to go slowly again :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hahah, oh man, you did a fine job of illustrating how much of a struggle it is for us.

No, I'm not using a focus. Centaur Rune Set + Mirror. 12 seconds of AoE Swiftness (like a mini "Retreat!") every 15 seconds. In dungeons I'll switch back to Ether Feast for the better heal at the sacrifice of 5 more "unswift" seconds.

I love swiftness for everything though, not just world completion. Making the run back to a fight in dungeons, WvW, even during combat when getting behind a clone can be lifesaving. Was just playing with the handicap of having no way to get it before, now I'm back to normal! :)

edit: I put in a buy order for the runes at 45s each, so the set was a 2 gold 70 silver investment.

Verve

ah, I see. the centaur runes are relatively cheap for superior ones.
just a pity that the bleeding effect will only help with one skill and that one is underwater, but oh well... rarely seen a rune set that would support my desired build 100%

might try that, thanks :)

hythloday

It's not as bad as people will make it. Parts of the dungeon itself will make you go why?

I had a nice time finishing it, but I think part of the dungeon was broken during that storyline mission.

I agree on the "not as bad as everyone says" part. With my group of (mostly) first-timers to the dungeon with nobody on Mumble, it was frustrating a couple times but still doable. I liked the concept of the encounters (but thought the execution could have been a little smoother in some spots). Overall no substantial complaints.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ah, I see. the centaur runes are relatively cheap for superior ones.
just a pity that the bleeding effect will only help with one skill and that one is underwater, but oh well... rarely seen a rune set that would support my desired build 100%

might try that, thanks :)
Welllll, I'd say the +Bleed would be most useful for a build really taking advantage of Sharper Images (which I do have, so yay) moreso than any skill. It has no internal cooldown and the bleeds can reaallly add up with high precision and Phantasmal Fury. If you're not taking that trait, also bear in mind that Winds of Chaos cast from a staff and clones spawned for Phase Retreat has bleeding as one of the random conditions that can be applied. Debilitating Dissipation, one of my favorite traits, also can add bleeds, but you can't really count on it and it wouldn't make sense in a build centered around bleeding. Finally, the increase in bleed duration would also apply to bleeds resulting from, say, a Superior Sigil of Earth. Putting that on both weapon sets would have the net effect of extending Sharper Images to you as well your clones.

So far as I know, the most efficient "BLOOD EVERYWHERE" Mesmer build would be Staff/Sword+Pistol; Sigils of Earth on the Staff and one of the two other weapons, with Sigil of Geomancy on the other. 30 in Dueling for Sharper Images and the Critical % and Damage. Other traits... probably some stuff that makes pistols and staff better along with phantasm buffs (things I don't use or know much about :p). Pump Condition Damage, Power, and Precision with gear. Then finally the Centaur set. It'd be an interesting glass cannon build set firmly on the "Legion" end of the spectrum (trying to keep every clone and phantasm alive for as long as possible).

In all honesty, for me that aspect of the rune set is a pure bonus. I got it for the power and the 6 effect :p
Can you tell me your build/traits/set? Thanks in advance.
Sure! Give me a minute.

edit: Got caught up with work, but I'll throw it together as soon as I get home.

Verve

What difference one trait can make. I've learned to go way more into detail when defining a build. Might even go that route since I explicitly want my Mesmer to be a glass cannon.
I'm taking damage for everyone as Guardian, now they can protect my character for a change - which they probably will much rather do for a female human than a male asura, anyway ;)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So is there a way to change your email address/account name for the linked Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2 account? I don't see it in edit profile. All I say is the option to change my password. >_>

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So okay, this should work: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mVmMcmm9MmrnLmmrnLm0xa0xMmaVVsR

It's 0-30-10-0-30. Scepter+Sword/Sword+Torch.

My bread and butter is Confusion. Confusion confusion confusion. My clones cause confusion (plus a random condition) when they die or get replaced. My warlock does confusion and gives retaliation to allies (which is like extra confusion if my target hits them!). All of my shatters cause confusion (and give me might). Cry of Frustration does double confusion. Null Field, Counterspell and Feedback are AOE confusion (and blind), which elimintates the pressure to use them situationally. All my confusion lasts 33% longer.

Essentially I'll start with Scepter from safe range for two hits of the 1 attack, then summon a Swordsman, then back to 1 for the clone summon (hell yeah offsetting chain skills!). Then I'll let the scepter auto continue to summon a third clone. Depending on how the Swordsman is doing I'll either keep making more Ether clones and Swordsmen and let them do some DPS (remember, replacing my clones is an offensive tactic with my build), or go right for my "confusion spike." That's (with 3 clones): Confusing Images (Scepter 2), Cry of Frustration while channeling it, Mirror Images, Summon Swordsman, Mind Wrack, then slamming down Null Field and Feedback on my target if they're up. Once the fields are down I'll usually complete this by swapping to Sword+Torch, rolling in to close melee, Blurred Frenzy, Leap, and finally The Prestige which ends in AoE Chaos Armor for everybody nearby and is a lot of fun. Then summon the two clones from sword and torch and swap back and repeat as needed. Time Warp when possible for good clean extremely speedy fun.

It's basically right in the middle of the spectrum for Mesmer builds with "Legion" builds (value every single summon) on one side and "Shatter" builds (shatter everything as soon as possible) on the other. I like the DPS from my Phantasms and they do add bleeds from criticals if they stay alive, but shattering is beneficial to me in almost all cases too. I love Debilitating Dissipation in that it lets me just stop worrying about keeping them alive at all- all clones die in their proper time.

Gear split between Power/Toughness/Vitality/Precision/Condition Damage, primary condition damage across the board to buff Confusion. Rune of the Centaur for almost-anytime swiftness.

I haven't decided on my sigils... actually, looking over it now, even though I don't really care about the bleeds, I could benefit from going a little bit more in that direction with a sigil of earth or two. I do have the 30 dueling after all. Probably one of the +condition damage on kill sigils (Malice?) after that and probably Rage on the scepter because it's SO MUCH FUN when you get quickness with that thing.

Note: this is a pretty uncommon build. It is by no means the most efficient or "easiest" to play in PvE (just go to staff for that -_-). The scepter auto-attack, while very satisfying eventually, is tough to get used to. While pulling off a massive confusion spike (when an enemy uses its strongest attack during the height of my stacking) is totally awesome, it's not uncommon for my huge mighty stack of confusion to come and go without the target using a single skill. However, that also means they didn't use any skills during that time. I think of it as a "punishment" build; lots of turning disadvantages into advantages and whatnot.

The good things about it are that it's really adaptable- I have either two full blocks that generate clones, or a move with complete invulnerability at melee range, at almost all times- that it's fun as hell, and that, with no modification, it absolutely wrecks people in WvW. The computer may not reliably use skills under confusion, but humans can just not help themselves from spiking themselves to death. It's awesome.

One little other nice thing is that because of the 30 in Illusions, I can flip on Illusionary Persona and go shattercrazy to mix it up. I'm definitely going to work that as one of my three builds (if this one is the "control," that'd be the "damage." Just not really sure at all how to provide support with this trait alignment, but I'll work something out).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got a copy of this game today. Never played a MMO so not sure if I will play this seriously, but I'll give it a try at least once

Wallach

I got a copy of this game today. Never played a MMO so not sure if I will play this seriously, but I'll give it a try at least once

Nice. Just don't make an Asura because they are ugly.

We're on the server Stormbluff Isle when you get up and running.

Katoki

The best part is that you don't have to blow $15 for a whole month to find out if you like it.

You mean not having to throw away $15 for a whole month after you find out you don't like it?

Most games come with the first month free with purchase but require $15 before you can actually play or something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All of the Asura animations are the best. Actually they are the best at everything except being tall, but then they have golems for that

Wallach

Listen... you can level up a soggy rat and play dress up with it all you want, it's your free time. In the end, though, it will always be a soggy rat.

On another note, I still want to finish my Wintersday achievements but I just can't stand the Toypocalypse shit. Such a neat idea wasted on terrible execution.

I've been trying to whisper to get invited to the guild but have been having trouble doing so, I notice that most of the guild officers don't have a user name I can msg, and those that do never seem to be on when I am, any advice?

Wallach

I've been trying to whisper to get invited to the guild but have been having trouble doing so, I notice that most of the guild officers don't have a user name I can msg, and those that do never seem to be on when I am, any advice?

Hit me with your account name (the Name.#### one) and I'll come online now and invite you.

Katoki

Hawkian.6580 or Retro.6831 or Nocturnal Bliss Keoni.1987

Leave mail with one (or all) of them and they'll invite you the next time they're on. These invites don't require you to be online at the same time and all that.

Edit: OR Wallach will hop on.

Levyne

Banned
Finally put some time into the game again. Got to run some Arah EXP with Varix, Sophre, AdriaaaaARAH and one other....

Fun!

Wallach

Transferring to Stormbluff now, once it's up I should have an invite waiting for me.

You can take the invite before you transfer, if you want. It will appear even if you are on another server.

If for whatever reason the transfer wipes out pending guild invites, just send me another PM and I'll take care of it.

So does anyone have any tips for dungeons? Christ, the trash can be a bitch. It seems damn near impossible to get a PUG together that can run through them well. Or at least AC. The enemy balance just seems out of whack.

Levyne

Banned
So does anyone have any tips for dungeons? Christ, the trash can be a bitch. It seems damn near impossible to get a PUG together that can run through them well. Or at least AC. The enemy balance just seems out of whack.

I'm by no means an expert but here is what can come off the top of my head this late at night.

Group with GAF. Yeah I know it's not always possible, but you won't run into the lack of communication of about who is running past what enemies, or what path is being taken, or any lack of communication to new runners to the dungeon about how a boss is defeated. They are also less likely to rage if you are like me and screw up and aggro a champion undead outside of Lupi's playground in arah...

If you don't know what's coming up next, equip a ranged weapon. Many of the vets and champs in the dungeons hit and hit hard. For AC, the Warrior ghosts will pick a target and will hammer you until you go down (and after you get back up). Playing from ranged is a bit conservative, but it keeps you alive longer until you know when to expect which mobs and where, they you can alter how you tackle them.

Learn what needs to be targeted first. In AC, for instance, this would be Breeders, ghost necros, and burrows when they are around. make sure to target these with ctrl T to focus fire them down. Sometimes it's nice to target them even if you know everyone knows who to kill so you can target them easily with T instead of having to tab to it or click it.

Equip a potion thats focused on a common enemy type in the dungeon. The can decrease the damage you take and increase what you put out.

If you feel that you are going down too often, try working on a set that provides some amount of toughness/vitality instead of pure dps. A little extra survivability goes a long way.

So. My better half makes glass beads as a combination hobby/part time job (this is why I have time for MMOs). For Christmas she made me these little glass Quaggans:

http://imgur.com/Cu2ix.jpg

(the one on the left is holding a paintbrush/spattered with dye from a piece of fanart we adore)

And from the side - they have tails and everything:

http://imgur.com/eZRAj.jpg

There's a better picture of the one without the brush on her flickr but she's watermarked it with her shop's site and I am nervous about accidentally advertising it.

Best Christmas present ever.

So. My better half makes glass beads as a combination hobby/part time job (this is why I have time for MMOs). For Christmas she made me these little glass Quaggans:

(the one on the left is holding a paintbrush/spattered with dye from a piece of fanart we adore)

There's a better picture of the one without the brush on her flickr but she's watermarked it with her shop's site and I am nervous about accidentally advertising it.

Quaggan looovesss thisss

nice wiiiiffffffeeeeeee

Well looks like the new bitch-fest going on at Reddit is being banned for "exploiting" the TP with the new crafting recipe. Glad I got out of that business a long time ago.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone know if there's a site where I can check what the story quest rewards are? I know they're fairly variable sometimes, but still.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

cooooOOoooo!

Dries

So I just when from 1 gold to 4 gold and 50 silver for selling the rest of my Enchanted Stuffing and Magic Glue on the Trading Post. With that money I just bought myself a full Tier 1 cultural armour set! Yeey!

So for anyone who still is hanging on to their stuffing and glue, the trading post is your friend.

Retro

So. My better half makes glass beads as a combination hobby/part time job (this is why I have time for MMOs). For Christmas she made me these little glass Quaggans.

I can guarantee you that the second these are on sale somewhere, they will be sold out. Etsy currently has a couple ceramic ones, but they look like they'd break if you look at them and the paint job is kinda meh.

Seriously, your wife is printing money. I'd buy a couple myself. And if ANet comments about it on twitter (as they often do for stuff like this)? Yikes.

Seriously, where can I buy some. PM me.

So for anyone who still is hanging on to their stuffing and glue, the trading post is your friend.

If you don't have the Christmas Quaggan Mini yet, maybe hang on to 50... just because... of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom