• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Guilty as sin" Maryland receiver found not guilty by Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Heard this on Jim Rome, decided to search for the story online.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4429634,00.html

Gregory D. Powell, 20, was charged with assaulting police and disorderly conduct after a June disturbance at a motel where police had ordered underage drinkers to pour out their beer.

After the defense attourney argued that a conviction would effectively end his client's career as a wide receiver at the Univeristy of Maryland, the judge found him not guilty:

Son, you are about to get an early Christmas present, because I know what effect a probation would have,'' Hayman told the defendant Monday. ``And it is a gift, because you are guilty as sin. I'm going to find you not guilty

This is fucking ridiculous. There needs to be absolute outrage at this judge, and the player. Then again, as Rome ranted, why blame the player? He knew that he wouldn't be touched, and who among us might not do the same thing if pretty much guaranteed that we wouldn't serve time?

Cloudy

Banned
Eh....many people get the same treatment every day in courts across the country. Why get the kid kicked out of school (you think his scholarship would keep going if he wasn't playing?) over dumb shit? Good decision by the judge IMO. It's not like the guy was spared prison or anything. I like Rome and all but his holier than thou act is tired...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Cloudy said:
Eh....many people get the same treatment every day in courts across the country. Why get the kid kicked out of school (you think his scholarship would keep going if he wasn't playing?) over dumb shit. Good decision by the judge IMO. It's not like the guy was spared prison or anything...

Dumb shit? He assaulted a cop. How the fuck can you defend this?

th_kobe8.gif

You know what? Nevermind.

Cloudy

Banned
Archaix said:

He was gonna get probation and a fine. All he did was pay the fine instead. Sooooooo dispicable!!!

Yeah that Kobe case is looking stronger and stronger every day for the prosecution while the accuser goes after "justice" in his bank account ROFLMAO!!!

AssMan

Banned
Not trying to be racist, but why do black athletes commit these crimes? You'd think would have more class as a professional athlete.

ge-man

AssMan said:
Not trying to be racist, but why do black athletes commit these crimes? You'd think would have more class as a professional athlete.

Why do you single black players, though? You don't think the huge proportion of black athletes does not effect the number of those who are involved in crimes?

Regardless, all athletes should have their act together. I don't believe in that whole "I'm not a role model" bullshit. You don't get to choose whether you're one or not.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
AssMan said:
Plenty of white kids (hell, kids of every stripe) fuck up in sports and life every day. Go slap yourself.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Archaix said:

th_kobe8.gif

assaulting a cop can include whipping your hand away from their grasp in an agressive manner... you should research the details of the case if you want to pass judgment. I don't know the details myself, but like cloudy said, judges get to make decisions like this based on whether they think it's worth it to damage a person's future, not just atheletes.

levious

AssMan said:
When was the last time you've seen a white athlete in trouble for murder?

are pro wrestlers not atheletes? Seriously, you should slap yourself.

levious said:
judges get to make decisions like this based on whether they think it's worth it to damage a person's future, not just atheletes.

Why punish anyone, then? What kind of physic powers must the judge have in order to predict the future successes of a criminal?

levious

HalfPastNoon said:
Why punish anyone, then? What kind of physic powers must the judge have in order to predict the future successes of a criminal?

that's not what I was trying to say... did the wieght of the act warrant a permanent affect on the person's life... you know, judge the situation. Most common is lowering a felony to a misdemeanor.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Cloudy said:
Eh....many people get the same treatment every day in courts across the country. Why get the kid kicked out of school (you think his scholarship would keep going if he wasn't playing?) over dumb shit? Good decision by the judge IMO. It's not like the guy was spared prison or anything. I like Rome and all but his holier than thou act is tired...

Well in all fairness the Judge was quite kind (if he is a fan or just someone thinking about how this would affect the kid for his whole life) But that doesn't change the fact that a lot of kids college and pro, are not respecting how fucking lucky they are. Sure, sure I know they work hard, and travel yada, yada, yada... but they live in a time and age where they can earn millions to play a sport that they were gifted to play... or at the very least get an education out of it...

I don't know the details of the case... so I don't know if he "attacked" the officer or just snapped at the officer... so I can't say that the judge was wrong for being so kind. But these guys now have to really learn to respect how damn lucky they are!

Oh yeah! and NCAA needs to start coughing up money to these players...

levious

I think it's safe to assume that he didn't attack the officer like the average person would concieve of an attack, otherwise he would have gotten beaten down himself.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't know the details either but the kid admits to cussing out the cops while they say he resisted arrest. There is no claim that he hit them or anything. If he was physically violent towards the police, do you think he would have been facing only probabtion?

I think it was a pretty minor offense and the judge knew this but that's just how I see it...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Cloudy said:
I don't know the details either but the kid admits to cussing out the cops while they say he resisted arrest. There is no claim that he hit them or anything. If he was physically violent towards the police, do you think he would have been facing only probabtion?

I think it was a pretty minor offense and the judge knew this but that's just how I see it...

Well you or I do this and we might get as lucky.... people have to start respecting what they have... I mean he could have lost his whole life behind some beer and a party!

Doth Togo

Maryland sports = Big $$$

Judge = Maryland graduate

Judge = $$$ and benefits to the charity of his choice from Maryland alumni association

Judge = runs for higher office

Football player = has strong Maryland football career

Football player = makes NFL draft, sends Judge tickets to his games

What this is = good 'ole boy network ownage.

/flex

Shinobi

Archaix said:

Who gives a shit that it was a cop? Assault of anyone is bad. What makes it so much worse when a cop gets assaulted when they're allowed to carry a fucking gun with 'em, while the average joe carries a fucking pen in their pocket for protection?

AssMan said:
When was the last time you've seen a white athlete in trouble for murder?

Cloudy said:
Mike Danton (St. Louis Blues) pled guilty to attempted murder in July....

zing-147-16-back.jpg

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Then again, as Rome ranted, why blame the player? He knew that he wouldn't be touched, and who among us might not do the same thing if pretty much guaranteed that we wouldn't serve time?
Yeah, let's blame the people who contribute to sports-worship in our society, like Jim Rome!

ChrisReid

levious said:
assaulting a cop can include whipping your hand away from their grasp in an agressive manner... you should research the details of the case if you want to pass judgment.

The whole thing is too lax. Why did he get into a situation where an officer was grasping for him in the first place (if that was all it was.. he might've punched the cop for all I know)?

It just reminds me of what Cosby said:

"These are not political criminals," he said. "These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, [saying] 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

That's a different situation, but people are just simply too unaccountable and stupid sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom