• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gungrave anime : yea or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

Despite working in an anime store, I've yet to watch the Gungrave anime. But today we got in the first domestic disc and the limited edition box (it's red and silver, includes disc 1 and a cool mousepad).

I'm definitely picking up a copy of the box for a friend of mine, but I can't very well open it and watch it... what's the consensus on this, is it good or not?

bjork

Just as long as it doesn't take as long as people say it takes for Trigun to get good. I'd like to be enjoying the show by the end of the first disc.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I thought Gungrave was great from the beginning (except for ep 1, which you'll understand much later on). It's only towards a few eps at the end the series makes a slight quality, or perhaps pacing, dip. But the very ending is great, just like the whole series. Very recommended, and the series is even better if you haven't played the game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Skip the first episode, it's just a gimped version of a later episode...you won't lose anything.

Gungrave rocks.

LusDekkar

Kiriku said:
I thought Gungrave was great from the beginning (except for ep 1, which you'll understand much later on). It's only towards a few eps at the end the series makes a slight quality, or perhaps pacing, dip. But the very ending is great, just like the whole series. Very recommended, and the series is even better if you haven't played the game.

That's what i think as well. The best bits were around eps 2- mid teens (again ep 1 is crap). I found the second half of the series less enjoyable but still good.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
just had to give impressions fo this to a friend and I'll see what I can remember of what I said...

first, the beginning is ass, skip the first episode. Even after skipping the first episode, I thought the first handulf of episodes, except for the 2nd, were very very dull and stupid. Eventually though, it became extremely interesting up to an incredibly awesome paek somewhere around ep 18 or so (I could be waaaay off on that). But by then the series has begun its violent skew into a seemingly completely irrelevant tangent that continues till the end of the series. This tangent, while not bad in and off itself, I felt was no where near as interesting as what was happeneing before it.

The ending was... acceptable. The idea was there, but I didn't like the way it was presented so much.

people always bring up bebop and berserk in comparisons, and while I see where they are coming from, I think its a bad way to describe the anime to someone that has never seen it before. I see the similarities but, they are similar in ways that just because one likes berserk or bebop means nothing as to whether or not they will like gungrave.

overall, thumbs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom