• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.hack//Versus |OT| Versus who? Versus The World.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
tLo3V9a.jpg

Lore
The year is 2025. Despite illegal activities, coverups, poor customer service, and a system they can never quite control, CC Corp's line of "The World" games is still going strong 18 years after launch. Versus: The World is a spinoff running alongside the current iteration of "The World" much like Crimson VS & "The World" R:2 did back in 2017. Since this is a fighting game rather than an MMO, players across the globe can only hope it's system is seperate and safe... unlike its near apocalypse-bringing older brother!

8vJaZNP.png

Real World
This is the 9th canonical .hack game and the contents on this disc are quite possibly the end of the series storyline! Falling sales and fewer worldwide releases have assumedly taken a toll the series. But as I list below, there's still been a good amount of works related to the series these past few years! Versus isn't the first .hack game to have local or online multi-player but as far as anyone outside of Japan is concerned it may as well be since it'll be the simplest to get into.

Tutorial
Release Date: June 28th, 2012 (Japan)
Platform: PS3
Save File Size: 26 mb
Installation Size: 2055 mb
Supported Resolutions: 480p / 720p
Genre: Fighter
Developer: CyberConnect2
Publisher: NamcoBandai

Features
- Single Player story mode
- Local Multi-Player
- Online Multi-Player
- Earn and equip 40 famous weapons wielded by well known players of the past!
- Earn and equip 35 items (1 per match) with an array of effects!
- Supports Custom Soundtracks
- 3D Support
- tbd?

Packaged Goods
sByH5EI.jpg

Regular Edition
- 7,140 Yen
- The movie, game, ova on a single disc. Your standard "hybrid" release. A standard the .hack series helped to set! Cause including a game and related animation in the same package and later on the same disc is nothing new for this series! In addition to the above it also comes with a slipcase(?) box and a reversible cover theater program thingy.

jBqz4N9.jpg

"The World" Edition
- 10,500 Yen
- This ones for the fans! Ya get the contents of the regular edition along with a 48 page art book, the .hack//Extension DVD featuring pilots for the movie and the .hack//Live show, 25 "jacket-sized" posters, and an additional box for holding everything!

MTJdQ4w.jpg

DVD Edition
- 5,250 Yen
- Same extras as the regular bluray edition - but no game for you!

-> Player Characters
VJqhrie.png[
RAv9iYy.png[

• Tsukasa (司)
- Representing: .hack//SIGN | 2009
- Alternate Color: Blue
- Attack Demo | Advanced Combo Video
- History:
The first(?) victim of Soul Digitalization. An Shoji's mind was trapped in the game by the rogue AI Morganna, while her body fell comatose in the real world. Her character in the game was male, so most people thought of her as such, including herself due to having fragmented memories from being trapped in the game. She was being manipulated into preventing the birth of Aura, but with the help of her friends overcame this control and awoke Aura, thus setting into motion what would come next...

qg7b0OP.png
B4uQOHB.png

• BlackRose (ブラックローズ)
- Representing: .hack//Another Birth & .hack// | 2010
- Alternate Color: Brown
- History:
Feeling responsible for her brother falling into a coma, the then non-gamer, Akira Hayami joined "The World" as BlackRose in order to find out why it had happened. She soon bumped into Kite who had joined the game shortly after she did and became his partner from then on out. She adopted a big sister role towards Elk, and helped bring Lios & Helba onto the same side. In the real world, she juggled keeping her place on the tennis team, schoolwork, and keeping her distraught family from going into a complete depression.

B40G2wY.png
0EIsNou.png

• Kite (カイト)
- Representing: .hack// | 2010
- Title: Kite of the Azure Flame
- Alternate Color: Green
- History:
Kite was invited to play "The World" by his friend Yasuhiko, known as the famous player Orca. While Orca was teaching him the ropes, the two spotted Skeith chasing Aura and were warped to a mysterious field. Skeith fragmented Aura and put Orca into a coma, leaving the newbie Kite as the possessor of the Book of Twilight. He then met BlackRose and many others who would join his cause to awaken the coma victims.

NxNFY49.png
I9TYZvQ.png

• Ovan (オーヴァン)
- Representing: .hack//Roots & G.U. | 2016~2017
- Title: The Rebirth
- Alternate Color: Purple
- History:
A former Network Administration Bureau investigator in the real world, Masato Indou became the first person infected by the data anomaly known as AIDA. Immediately after this happened, his sister became the first coma victim in "The World R:2". He formed the Twilight Brigade guild to search for the Key of the Twilight, hoping it would show him the way to awakening his sister. Putting his second in command Shino into a coma wasn't part of his plans, but it lit a flame in Haseo whom Ovan was trying to guide. He shouldered the burden of the role as a "villian" both in the game and the real world.

wFBNy5b.png
VptM2ei.png

• Haseo (ハセヲ)
- Representing: .hack//Roots & G.U. | 2016~2017
- Title: The Terror of Death
- History:
Back in 4th Grade, Ryou Misaki played "The World" as a notorious Player Killer called Sora. He became wrapped up in the incident surrounding Tsukasa and at first sided with Morganna, but then betrayed her. She used Skeith to put him into a coma and for the next several months, she hid Skeith in Sora's Player Character and the two set out in search of Aura. Eventually Kite defeated Skeith, seperating Sora's mind from the monsters and he later awoke as all the other coma victims did, though his memory of ever playing the game was lost. 6 years later he joined "The World R:2" as Haseo and became a member of the Twilight Brigade, following the mysterious Ovan, until he disappeared, the guild was disbanded, and Shino fell into a coma. He lost all faith in other players and set out alone to defeat Tri-Edge in the hopes of bringing Shino back. He quickly gained fame as a Player Killer Killer and power from clearing the Forest of Pain event. When he finally battled "Tri-Edge" he was defeated and his character set back to level one. From there he would begin to encounter players who would help him grow into a less thoughtless person and awakened his Avatar, Skeith. He eventually learned the truth about everything and defeated Ovan, nearly losing his own life in the process. After this, together with his friends, he put an end to the Third Network Crisis.

rMvyXX7.png
NNnh51U.png

• Tokio (トキオ)
- Representing: .hack//Link | 2020
- Title: The Hero of Gear
- History:
For as long as he could remember, 14 year old Tokio Kuryuu had a recurring dream. He'd just defeated the big boss of a game and received thanks from a beautiful princess. When a girl named Saika Amagi, who bore a striking resemblance to the princess, transferred into his class and asked him to come with her he agreed... but she used a special device to transport his real body into "The World R:X", tasking him with finding items called Chrono Cores. Utilizing the Akashic Records, he was able to travel through "time" to different eras of the game, meeting and befriending countless famous players and the enemy organization known as Schicksal who worked for CC Corp's president. He defeated some of their members and along the way learned the truth about Saika, the princess he'd dreamed of called AIKA, that he was being used by the villians all along in their attempt to control Aura, and the true nature of Jyotaro Amagi's RA Plan. Working together with characters from numerous eras, he defeated the virus infected Aura and put an end to the Immortal Dusk plan, though it came at a cost. He was then able to return to the real world and find peace, for now...

KnqMUwn.png[
VcfHRNH.png

• Sakuya (サクヤ)
- Representing: .hack//Quantum | 2022
- Alternate Color: Pink
- History:
Like many students, Asumi Aida played "The World R:X" though despite having played it for some time, she'd still clutz out and cause trouble for her real life friends and in-game partners Eri Etou (Mary) and Iori Ikuta (Tobias)! One day the trio was going to watch a guild attempt to take out a monster known as The One Sin but Sakuya hit a trap causing the whole thing to go awry and they became the targets of the guild! While on the run she met a player named Hermit and witnessed her friend Mary be attacked by a mysterious force and sent into a coma, while her own right hand became partially infected and somewhat paralyzed in the real world. Asumi & Iori traveled to Tokyo where they met Reiko Saeki and would work with her to eliminate the problems facing the game and awaken the coma victims in what would come to be known as the Quantum Computer incident.

gFBUwOW.png
2jWPKRj.png

• Sora (そら)
- Representing: .hack//The Movie: Beyond the World | 2024
- Title: Hero of the New Era
- Alternate Color: Yellow
- History:
Sora Yuuki grew up in a strict household where games were forbidden, because of this she felt left out amongst her group of friends who played "The World Force Era". She was eventually convinced to give it a try and for some reason, when her registration was complete she was stuck with a pre-made character... a red male Twin Blade named Kite. Despite this she logged in and soon encountered Data Bugs and Aura, who entrusted her with a special power. Things went well for awhile, as she learned to play the game with her friends, but the Data Bugs began reeking havoc and her love interest Kakeru Tanaka fell into a coma. Network Administration Bureau agent David Steinberg made contact with Sora in the real world and in-game. As problems began occuring in the real world, it was up to Sora to reach Aura and use her gift to set things right, preventing a second Immortal Dusk.

-> Other Characters
• Chim Chims
• Hermit
• Makoto
• Balder
• Gondo
•
Doppelgangers
•
Doppelgangers Chim Chims!
•
Aura

-> Sacred Sites
• Aura's Garden
A lovely, peaceful place first seen near the very end of the movie!
• Mechanism Premises
Ya know, that clocktower-like place in Quantum.
• Grima Raef Catherdal
aka the Lost Ground Hulle Granz Cathedral located at Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground. That Tri-Edge Sign is still there.
• Lia Fail
Ω Server Root Town, Net Slum version. What? Did ya think they'd ever let ya experience the real one?
• Dun Loireag
Θ Server Root Town. Much of SIGN took place here.

-> Weapon Collection
Like in .hack//Link, weapons in this game are purely for show / character customization. These can be unlocked by viewing a replay of your battles that have 300+ comments, or ones which you have achieved a score of 99,999 on.
• Dual Swords: 12
Used By: Kite, Haseo, Sakuya, Sora
• Broadswords: 07
Used By: BlackRose
• Bayonets: 07
Used By: Ovan
• Gauntlets: 07
Used By: Tokio
• Staves: 07
Used By: Tsukasa

-> Support Items
There are 35 of these in total but you can equip one at a time! They range from things that boost your power or defense, to some that automatically clear a battle condition. Like weapons, these will be unlocked by viewing a replay of your battles that have 300+ comments, or ones which you have achieved a score of 99,999 on.

-> Custom Soundtrack
This is the last option in the Altimit Media Player. Regarding this feature it applies only to battle music not menus, nor the story modes "Unknown" character battles. What the feature does do is allow you to change the music of your opponent. Say you're tired of BlackRose's default theme, well just find ブラックローズ in the media player, select it, and search your PS3's hdd for any song you'd like to play in its place!

-> The Movie: Beyond The World
As this is a "hybrid" pack this movie is on the disc to! It precedes Versus, taking place towards the end of the year 2024, beginning on November 22nd. Starring the character Sora Yuuki, who somehow ends up with the original Kite's PC data! Supports 1080i / 1080p and 3D viewing. The length is 112 minutes.

-> Thanatos Report
It wouldn't be a .hack game without some animation taking place in the real world, am I right? This games no different! This report will be unlocked after you complete the story mode for Versus. It's about 20 minutes long and is totally serious business. The villians behind it all...

-> Screenshots
3XlNiWe.jpg
5Dc2mhP.jpg
v60S34v.jpg

9c8RATi.jpg
gdJYkt5.jpg
6pRRy8Q.jpg

53HB8PQ.jpg
YTOANJf.jpg
uAGq2wC.jpg

-> .hack//3rd Season
• 2020: Link
• 2022: After 2021, Quantum (I)ntroduction, Quantum
• 2023: Bullet
• 2024: The Movie: Beyond The World
• 2025: Versus, Beyond the World: SORA, Thanatos Report

-> Versus O.S.T.
hoIFcQD.jpg

• disc.1: 56:27
01. 2:28 | データインストール
02. 4:00 | ヒトヒラ
03. 1:52 | デスクトップ
04. 1:54 | VERSUS:The World
05. 2:09 | YOMOYAMA RECORDS
06. 2:02 | キャラクターセレクト
07. 0:08 | 激闘の予感
08. 1:17 | バトルリザルト
09. 2:08 | オンラインVS
10. 3:04 | 次代の勇者
11. 2:29 | 二人は絶対☆無敵!
12. 2:49 | 黒衣の復讐者
13. 2:37 | 伝説の蒼炎
14. 2:15 | 黒薔薇の戦士
15. 2:54 | 彷徨う魂
16. 2:30 | 再誕の求道者
17. 2:46 | その名は9
18. 2:49 | 戦慄の影
19. 1:36 | 別れの刻
20. 4:20 | 晴天桜花
21. 1:09 | 雪原の逃亡者
22. 2:35 | mama
23. 1:13 | 奇襲
24. 2:22 | 母なる地球のために
25. 1:01 | 大いなる再生

• disc.2: (limited edition)
Wallpaper 1 - 17 in 1600x1200 & 1920x1080 sizes.

-> The Movie: Beyond the World O.S.T.
5QqKkMt.jpg

• disc.1: 47:41
01. 1:01 | 帰路
02. 0:50 | お出かけ
03. 1:15 | Log In
04. 2:18 | マク・アヌ
05. 1:54 | Contact
06. 0:52 | リンク
07. 1:22 | School Days
08. 2:26 | Start Button
09. 3:42 | With Friends!
10. 1:30 | ロスト・グラウンド
11. 1:05 | 黄昏
12. 1:14 | 告白
13. 2:48 | 忌まわしき "波"
14. 1:08 | 消せないキモチ
15. 1:32 | 意識不明
16. 3:08 | Briefing
17. 1:04 | 出撃
18. 3:20 | Fall Down
19. 1:26 | 崩壊する世界
20. 2:27 | 反撃の狼煙
21. 3:48 | 決戦
22. 3:06 | Hope
23. 4:25 | つながるセカイ/ 三谷朋世

• disc.2: (limited edition)
Wallpaper 1 - 12 in 1600x1200 & 1920x1080 sizes.

-> The Movie: Beyond the World - Single
43EQ6Vq.jpg

• disc.1: 18:35
01. 4:59 | Gathering Light
02. 0:50 | Faraway
03. 5:00 | Gathering Light (Instrumental)
04. 2:18 | Faraway (Instrumental)

-> Akashic Records
• Advanced Game Mechanics/Character Guide by some-punk-kid
• Official Site
• CyberConnect2
• .hack//bullet official site
• .hack//bullet english translation
• .hack Wiki
• dothackers.net
• Got enough Virus Cores? GAF reads/watches/PLAYS the .hack series! (10th Anniversary) (prepare for spoilers!)
• .hack//Versus screenshots (original Versus info thread)
• Trophy List

-> Shout Outs
• ReXXXSoprano for rehosting the official combo vids on youtube
• Funimation for licensing & releasing .hack//Quantum in the west
• JunBanyoya, Kuukai, and others for their .hack//Link "Unofficial Fan Translation Project"
• Kazetrigger for translating the .hack//Bullet web novel
• KitetsuFayth for informing me how the custom soundtrack system worked
• somepunk for delving deeply into the games mechanics to make videos & a faq

-> Maintenance Notice
Expect this OP to be updated beyond what's currently up as more stuff is discovered about the game!

- v1.13 | replaced all the broken image links with working ones (June 20th... 2017?!)
- v1.12 | added character names in jp text (December 28th)
- v1.11 | a section for Screenshots has finally been added! (December 1st)
- v1.10 | spaced stuff out alil better, linked to the Bullet translation in the Akashic Records, added Shout Outs section (November 5th)
- v1.09 | added custom soundtrack info, fixed tsukasa/blackrose reg & kite/ovan/haseo classic images (October 28th)
- v1.08 | linked somepunk's videos, linked his faq in the Akashic Records, removed -> from upper sections (October 26th)
- v1.07 | support item info added, weapon info updated, 3rd season updated (August 10th)
- v1.06 | weapon info added, features, other characters, & 3rd season update, player character info massively updated (July 28th)
- v1.05 | makoto listed under characters, arena section, Thanatos & 3rd season update, op image added (July 17th)
- v1.04 | resolutions, 3D support, movie info (upd), ost section has length/disc.2, movie ost & single info, tokio classic fix (July 3rd)
- v1.03 | save/install data, multi-player info (upd), custom soundtrack support listed (July 2nd)
- v1.02 | "real world" info added, character demo videos added, listed Chim Chims under "other characters" (June 30th)
- v1.01 | fixed a typo, added "classic" character icons, fixed tsukasa image, adjusted maintenance text (June 23rd)
- v1.00 | the first iteration of the OP! (June 22nd)

Takao

Banned
i get the ot title

it's a reference to the fact this game won't be released anywhere else in the world

I really love the graphics and the style.

And I really loved the G.U. Trilogy. Really great story and atmosphere.

That is why I am kinda sad, that this is just a mere fighting-Game. I wish i could explore Mac Anu, the plains, the Lost Grounds etc. all in glorious current-gen graphics.

DJIzana

That is why I am kinda sad, that this is just a mere fighting-Game. I wish i could explore Mac Anu, the plains, the Lost Grounds etc. all in glorious current-gen graphics.

God... what I wouldn't give for a .Hack MMO, seriously. With those type of graphics / attack animations too? /drool...

God... what I wouldn't give for a .Hack MMO, seriously. With those type of graphics / attack animations too? /drool...

I do not especially want an MMO right now, today.
I think Japanese can not really make a good MMO.

I would wanna wait till Carmacks VR-Glasses become reality, then a .hack MMO would be totally great.

Can't wait till next week to get this and really explore the battle system.

And wonderful job on the OT Lindsay. This is one I know that will be treated with the care it deserves.

dot

YES. <3

G.U. was the best. Though a new game is better than no game at all.

Came for the Lindsay, leaving depressed because they stopped selling the .hack//link manga and I will never know how it ends.
I never got into the naruto ultimate ninja storm stuff so I'm not rushing to get this, but a current gen .hack as other people have pointed out would be baws.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Okies inbetween trying to 100% Reminisce I snuck in an update! The big part being something I'll call Now & Then. Icons of the characters original designs next to their Versus models! Some have come a long way~

i get the ot title

it's a reference to the fact this game won't be released anywhere else in the world
Noooo! That's not it at all! There is no reference & even if there was it wouldn't be a downer like that >_<

Funny you should post this... I'm debating if I should pre-order this or not. xD

Whatcha think?
If ya like the series and/or fighting games why not? Its not terribly expensive like other imports since its a game/movie/ova. Then again it'll prolly be get into the movie/ova without knowing the language. Europe never got G.U. and only Japan got Link so a localized release'd be surprising!

Ya for reals. Sadly Link didn't even have much in the way of exploration. I wanna wander around in familiar yet new settings to!

Wait that's Tokio? Now I really need to check out Link.
As mentioned its Tokio around age 19 instead of 14! I liked him in Link alot, he was pretty funny!

And wonderful job on the OT Lindsay. This is one I know that will be treated with the care it deserves.
This is only my third OT ever but all of 'em have required updating~ idk how that keeps happening!

Came for the Lindsay, leaving depressed because they stopped selling the .hack//link manga and I will never know how it ends.
I never got into the naruto ultimate ninja storm stuff so I'm not rushing to get this, but a current gen .hack as other people have pointed out would be baws.
Link manga died so that Link game could live by giving its artist time & focus to work on it! I see lotsa people comparing this to those Naruto games but I never played one of them. I'm tempted to d/l a demo of one offa PSN to get a feel for what Versus may be like but I dun wanna spoil myself!

Sad, sad day when my jRPG's from the past turn into fighters. I guess they are easier to make, or cheaper I guess.
Every series inevitably becomes a fighter! Mario, Sonic, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Persona..... etc! Personally I'm waiting on Segac to unleash a Phantasy Star fighter!

remz

Looks like it's going to be pretty fun, big similarities to Naruto UNS but that's not a bad thing at all.

Only thing I don't like is the 3 twin blades/kite a likes. like I get that these characters are popular but they should have put some of the other cool character classes in for some more variety >_>

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The gameplay footage for Tokio and Sakuya is now available.

Tokio

Sakuya

This is going to be a sweet birthday present!!!

I approve of Tokio but not of beating on Hermit! Sakuya's all whirly & twirly ya gotta love that! And after like 7-8 videos I finally notice there's a Skill Trigger! Its R1 in G.U., Square in Link, and L1 here? I'm gonna be so super confused!! ...I should prolly link these vids in the OP huh?

Only thing I don't like is the 3 twin blades/kite a likes. like I get that these characters are popular but they should have put some of the other cool character classes in for some more variety >_>

I'm sure there will be more characters and more classes! Ya know CC Corp loves Blademasters/Blade Brandiers since by the end of each previous series your team would be full of 'em. The 8 we know now are among the most famous and are all on the cover of the soundtrack which is why they had to be revealed first. /hope/

Bebpo

Banned
Hate the CG look art style. If it looked more like Naruto and was a fleshed out SP game I'd be more interested.

For now I'm just going to be excited for the soundtrack. Do we know if it's 100% new soundtrack or if it'll be arranges of old tracks from the series?

I'm just curious if the Asia version will play fine on a US PS3, mostly because Asia has a different blu-ray region than Japan (for movies I mean). I might just pay extra for the JP version so I can watch the movie also (big .Hack fan).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Launch day is here!

The games out! People have it! I do not cause amiami keeps getting an error processing my card >_<! My copy of the OST shipped a couple days ago from cdjapan~ I shoulda just went with them for both -_- sadly they're outta "The World" edition so there's no going back! I gotta work through this and remain unspoiled!

Well anyways expect impressions & updates... eventually! I'm sure some of ya that are getting it will post stuff!

Pietepiet

Can't wait for some impressions on this. I've been thinking about picking it up, but the price is pretty steep for what seems to be a pretty basic fighter. I know the movie's included and all, but still.

d0c_zaius

Can't wait for some impressions on this. I've been thinking about picking it up, but the price is pretty steep for what seems to be a pretty basic fighter. I know the movie's included and all, but still.

yea me too. but if the movie randomly supports english subtitles, I'm there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
$141.30 for this, $33.98 for the OST, which makes $1983.42 total for the entirety of my .hack collection. Better import another single or something just ta break the 2k mark... after a long time of saving up my money again x_x;

There'll be impressions alright! Alls worked out an for once in my life paid up for good/quick (expensive) shipping so hopefully it'll be here early next week! You could always check out the gamefaqs Versus board or the dothackers forums for impressions until them. But me? I'm keeping far away from any place that could spoil me!!

yea me too. but if the movie randomly supports english subtitles, I'm there.
That'll never happen but since I gotta do things in order I'll be showing super self restraint by watching the movie before playing. So in the unlikely event there is english subs I'll let ya all know. But since G.U. Trilogy bluray didn't come with english subs... >.<

edit: also the OSTs already been uploaded to youtube lol. Strangely I don't think the movie OSTs been posted on there yet. Awhile ago someone asked me to do so but I didn't know how I'd feel about doing so and never did!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
And so it begins~

November 22nd, 2024.

Movie's 112 minutes long so I'll get back to ya all in a couple hours! I like how the movie appears under Video section of xmb and game under the game section! No subs as expected btw.

Pietepiet

Sweet, looking forward to the impressions :)
Your other .hack thread made me start a new game on INFECTION and buy MUTATION...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Movie thoughts: how to put this... it was a real pleasant watch? Much of it focused on the main characters in the real world. Time spent in the game was prolly about 1/3rd of the movie which is a nice balance since we get tons of in-game time in the .hack universe throughout all the other series. The story seemed very business as usual instead of some grand finale but thats just my guess? Still really well done and .hackish! Sora was a nice lead and Makoto was super cute!! Tomohika reminded me of Amuro Rey in terms of appearance, not so much attitude fortunately! The "News Capture" service still exists and I thought it a neat touch that news reports were in the classic 2d anime style as opposed to the rest of the movies 3dness. Also I just had to pause a couple times to look at characters friendslists on their cellphones. Some familiar names on there like Ginkan, Cima, Nuada, and Omegarice? Omega!? Guess he got sick of being the butt of bad jokes! Another nice touch was an ad for "The World" early in the movie with the tagline "You are Returners?" darn straight I am!

Versus thoughts: After a 5-6 minute long forced install of like 2 gb I find this is just like other .hack games where ya gotta logout and check boards & whatnot to continue the story! It took a few matches to learn the controls but I still feel kinda slow in trying to get in close to attack. I should prolly learn from G.U.'s arena battles to be alil more patient instead of throwing myself directly into harms way x_x; Aside from the "exceed" and "ultimate" attacks I don't quite get the Skill Trigger~ I thought the 4 face buttons would launch different attacks but I kept getting the same one so I'm prolly doing something wrong. After a couple story rounds I tried a regular vs cpu match and saw there really are only 8 characters... unless there are more unlocked through the story? And yes you unlock bgm & wallpaper & videos for your "desktop"! It even supports custom soundtracks as it was able to peek into my hdd and see numerous .hack soundtracks I got stored on it ^_^ I think you can even save the unlocked wallpaper to your PS3 like you could in Link but I didn't tried that yet. Seems fun thus far and moreso as I learn what the heck I'm doing, I hope!

Sweet, looking forward to the impressions :)
Your other .hack thread made me start a new game on INFECTION and buy MUTATION...
Hope it didn't cost alot and you like it!

Pietepiet

Thanks for the impressions! The game sounds alright. Bit barebones though. Only 8 characters, of which three are Kite and his look-a-likes? :(

Gonna watch the movie later. Can't wait :)

Also: it didn't cost me too much, thankfully. They're damn hard to find for a reasonable price in Europe, though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Okies I'm figuring stuff out tonight! According to my save file I've put in just over 2 hours 12 minutes so far so I'd better be learning! Sora gets quicker & better each time she uses her Level Up Exceed! Also there's apparently fight objectives to meet which is how ya unlock stuff like alt weapons/voices & sound effects an stuff. Plus you can watch replays of your fights I think they're all stored automatically which explains the large save file size! So far no story that isn't explained through the BBS but it'll come I'm sure of it! There's still many battles to be fought and ranks to be climbed!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So like I finally beat the game like an hour or so ago! For awhile there I didn't think I'd be able to. Spent well over 5 hours on Sora's final boss dying, and dying, and dying... over the course of nearly a week to ya know spare my sanity. Totally worth it to see the ending credits & stuff. The OVA unlocked as a result and boy is it filled with shocking content, an totally focused on adult characters. My clear time was 19:22:30... for a fighting game... ignoring the hours of failures an another hour of watching replays (since thats how ya unlock weapons/equips) and ya see its still surprisingly long.

Still got a total of 19 more story mode battles to do which cover the other characters. I've 100%'d 8 other .hack games but this one... I just dunno. Its gonna take me a lotta luck & time to hope to pull it off here. The difficulty really stunned me. Sure I'm not known for like playing fighting games on anything but super easy, an this game has no difficulty selection, but wow. Way ta end(?) the series on a hard note. The other games all had some things that might make ya curse an I guess this ones no different aside from being in a genre that often requires skill lol.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm still here an with a big old OP update ta boot! Hey! Its been a month since the games release! Anyways~

- Versus
Game Cleared: 19:22:30
Game Overtime: 10:33:28
Game Cleared 100%: 29:55:58

Ya I managed to do it all. If I hadn't been dumb with that final boss an all my time would be shorter but thats what repeat playthroughs are for! Even still it was a legitimately hard battle. Wrap up centered on getting an S rank on every fight, completing each match condition I hadn't cleared previously, and making sure I had earned at least 300 comments on each fight in order ta unlock stuff. It wasn't always easy but I did it! In doing so I apparently somehow unlocked all the games trophies or whatever, but those are outside the game so even if I hadn't that wouldn't be counted against my 100% in-game clear goal! It may not be a rpg but it was still fun outside of a couple troublesome parts. Also I love how Tsukasa's alternate color makes him look like Elk and how BlackRose's makes her look like Mimiru. Nice touches there. Kite's makes him his pre-bracelet character color which was cool to!

About the OST~ its pretty good! Got that .hack feel for sures!
Track 2 was first partially heard in .hack//Link but the full version heard here is new. Track 12 is totally a remake of "Value of Evolution" (G.U. Trilogy T16). Track 14 is a remake of BlackRose's Theme (.hack//Game Music Best Collection T33). The rest seem new to me! Also tracks 21 - 25 are the Thanatos Report bgms.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Just about 4 months later an the games still fun ta mess around in! Thanks in part to never having to face a
Doppelganger
again... until whenever I start a new game to further pick this one apart that is!

Sending out some props to somepunk creating a number of videos and a real technical faq for this game. I added the videos to the OP cause I'm found 'em to be a nice contrast to the official ones! Also linked to his faq. Apparently this games got some pretty deep mechanics for a... what'd some people call it? I dun remember but they were prolly snarky unkind words! This level of play is beyond my grasp but them super competitive types might get a kick outta this stuff!

Anyways its pretty apparent this games not coming out in the west so to anyone hanging out for a localized release I say just import away!

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/intervie...mate-storm-3-hack-and-jojos-bizarre-adventure

— Sounds exciting! Speaking of localization, are there any plans to bring any of the recent .hack stuff overseas? I believe .hack//Versus just came out in Japan…

Matsuyama: Unfortunately for .hack//Versus, there are no plans, at the moment, to release it in American territories.

— A movie was released alongside .hack//Versus…

Matsuyama: Unfortunately, because the movie is packed with the game as a hybrid disc, there are also no plans for it.
Hmm... he only mentions "american" territories. Maybe there's hope for the Euro-folk? I wouldn't bet on it. We should push 'em for the movie cause that excuse is just slopppppy.

Working on at least another OP update ta come so stay tuned?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What good OP doesn't got screenshots?? This one! Until now! Apparently PS3 plays nice with my capture thingy, so I went an took a bunch! Couldn't do HD mind you, however somethings usually better then nothing. Check out the Shout Outs section! All who help bring even alil info & attention to this 3rd Season of .hack releases deserve some thanks afterall! btw here's an alternate color compilation image for ya all!

iOjP58bTQE1yr.jpg

i-Jest

I'm thinking of getting this. Thank for Posting your finding OP. Anyone care to are their finding post play? Any thing else I should be aware of since last comment?

Top Bottom