• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 keeps crashing!!

I know there's an offocal topic, and I brought this issue up In said topic, but hardly anyone responded to it.

Here's my PC specs:

Athlon 1800+ (1533 MHz)
512MB SD RAM
Asus K7V 133-c MoBo
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platnum

I had it running at 1024x768 with all details set to the medium levels and it at first ran for like a good 30- to 40 mins without issue, but now it keeps crashing like every 10 mins, in face I cant even play for 10 mins!!! In total it must have crashed a good 20 times last night over the course of 3 hours. oh and when I say crash, I mean crash to the desktop.

I love this game to death, and it's killing me that I can't play because of this stupid shit!

I after several crashes downloaded the latest Catlyest drivers, installed them, and they wouldent even install properly, (at least not the controle center part). but please somebody tell me what I can do to fix this, I NEED to be able to play this without retardatiion!!!

~Black Deatha

Nester

Black Deatha said:
I know there's an offocal topic, and I brought this issue up In said topic, but hardly anyone responded to it.

Here's my PC specs:

Athlon 1800+ (1533 MHz)
512MB SD RAM
Asus K7V 133-c MoBo
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

I had it running at 1024x768 with all details set to the medium levels and it at first ran for like a good 30- to 40 mins without issue, but now it keeps crashing like every 10 mins, in face I cant even play for 10 mins!!! In total it must have crashed a good 20 times last night over the course of 3 hours. oh and when I say crash, I mean crash to the desktop.

I love this game to death, and it's killing me that I can't play because of this stupid shit!

I after several crashes downloaded the latest Catlyest drivers, installed them, and they wouldent even install properly, (at least not the controle center part). but please somebody tell me what I can do to fix this, I NEED to be able to play this without retardatiion!!!

~Black Deatha

Are you getting this error when Control Center is trying to load?

Image1.jpg

If so, you need to install .net Framework from Windows update. It's required. I had that same problem.

SpeedRazor said:
Are you getting this error when Control Center is trying to load?

Image1.jpg

If so, you need to install .net Framework from Windows update. It's required. I had that same problem.

Yeah, that's the error, but what are these other things, with Windows update, do you mena Servace Pack 2, because I have that, and what's Framework?

~Black Deatha

Black Deatha said:

Here's my PC specs:

Athlon 1800+ (1533 MHz)
512MB SD RAM
Asus K7V 133-c MoBo
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

~Black Deatha

My computer:

P4 2.4
1 gig of RAM
Radeon 9700 pro 128 MB
Soundblaster Audigy

I have/had a similar problem. For whatever reason is seems somewhat resolved now as I haven't had it crash for awhile but the game seems incredibly unstable on my computer for some reason or another. When I close the game, I have to do a hard reboot as everything locks up. It's freakin' annoying.

I'm not saying that this is the answer here, but as soon as I disabled my firewall the game seemed to run a little smoother and wouldn't crash as often.

Zeenbor

I have the same problem... In the past 3 hours, I've crashed 8 times. From what the symptoms sound like it's because of my crappy C-Media AC97 on-board audio. For those with a soundcard and on-board sound, disabled the on-board in the BIOS. Valve says this should fix the problem.

As for me, I have to buy a decent sound card next. :)

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 1800+ (1.53 GHz)
768 MB DDR RAM
128 MB GeForceFX 5200 AGP
k7s5a Motherboard (On-board LAN and AC97 Sound)

The .net runtime is installed on this computer, as well. If anyone has a clue, I'd be interested.

GG-Duo

Black Deatha said:
Yeah, that's the error, but what are these other things, with Windows update, do you mena Servace Pack 2, because I have that, and what's Framework?

~Black Deatha

You can also uninstall the ATI Control Center (but not the drivers)

Basically, the ATI Control Center that came with some Catalyst installations needs .Net

Not everybody has .Net

so you get that error.

Ok, so all this time I thought I had Windows SP2, but apperantly it was something else I downloaded a month or so back after I installed my new HD (I could have sworn it was SP2) but apperantly not, so I just installed it while looking for updates, and WTF, now when I start up my PC and when my screensaver comes on I end up at the log in to my account screen, the only account on my PC is my account, so I have always had this feature turned off, but now I cant find where to turn it off. A little help?

And also now that I have installed SP2, any chance the game will run better? I know it's a long shot, but I need hope!!

~Black Deatha

Arcticfox

Black Deatha said:
Ok, so all this time I thought I had Windows SP2, but apperantly it was something else I downloaded a month or so back after I installed my new HD (I could have sworn it was SP2) but apperantly not, so I just installed it while looking for updates, and WTF, now when I start up my PC and when my screensaver comes on I end up at the log in to my account screen, the only account on my PC is my account, so I have always had this feature turned off, but now I cant find where to turn it off. A little help?

And also now that I have installed SP2, any chance the game will run better? I know it's a long shot, but I need hope!!

~Black Deatha
SP2 included DirectX9.0c. If you didn't have it earlier that could have been the cause of your crashes.

Do you have WinXP Home or Pro?

OMG, I STILL cant play, I loaded again a few minutes ago, and I was able to play for about 2 or 3 mins and it crashed again.

I am going to kill someone!!!

And I can't belive thta I am the only one here having this issue...?

I also fixed the logon issue, thanks for the help Arcticfox.

Do The Mario said:
Sell it and buy Blinx 2

Now is NOT the time to say moronic things!!!

~Black Deatha

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Arcticfox said:
If you installed the .NET framework it created an invisible account. To get rid of the welcome screen, follow the instructions here.

Thanks for that. MS really need to sort this out. There is more and more software coming out that needs .NET installed, and creating an additional account is a pain in the arse. There is no warning either.

Editing the registry may get rid of it, but its hardly consumer friendly, is it?

gohepcat

Banned
Black Deatha said:
OMG, I STILL cant play, I loaded again a few minutes ago, and I was able to play for about 2 or 3 mins and it crashed again.

I am going to kill someone!!!

And I can't belive thta I am the only one here having this issue...?

I also fixed the logon issue, thanks for the help Arcticfox.

Now is NOT the time to say moronic things!!!

~Black Deatha

Ifs it's crashing after a few minutes of play, you might be overheating something. I'd check to see if you have bad dust in the machine. I'd also run a Prime95 stress test for a few hours to see if it crashes then. It might be hardware related.

Top Bottom