• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 preload at 10est?

source dedicated server is showing.

All this is going to do is make the wait even worse. I wonder if the USA and UK release dates will be in the same week. I hope so or i may have to buy a virtual copy (bleh)

Sp3eD said:
So if I were to go right now and buy a pre-load thing online could I download CS:S demo?
what do you mean?

there are several ways to play CS:S :

1. buy CS:CZ
2. visit a participating cyber cafe
3. 'activate' one of those ati hl2 vouchers

Kon Tiki

Banned
ManaByte said:
CS: Source Beta is now showing up for people without CZ.

CS was NEVER "free" unless you are a pirate. You always had to own Half-Life for CS.

No Counter Strike WAS free. Half-Life was not free.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
crawlingpeter said:
what do you mean?

there are several ways to play CS:S :

1. buy CS:CZ
2. visit a participating cyber cafe
3. 'activate' one of those ati hl2 vouchers

I thought to get the pre-load thing (on HL2 full version game) you had to pay them $50 through steam. So what I am asking is that if I purchase HL2 over steam will that unlock CS:S. To me, a person buying HL2 should constitute as a better canadate for CS:S then a person with CZ.....

epmode

the way things are now, you can not buy half-life 2 over steam. that'll change as the release date nears, of course. for now, the only way to get in on the beta is in crawlingpeter's post.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
epmode said:
the way things are now, you can not buy half-life 2 over steam. that'll change as the release date nears, of course. for now, the only way to get in on the beta is in crawlingpeter's post.

yeah I finally figured that out AFTER I downloaded Steam again and go my account up and running. Their loss though, I was feeling impulsive and was going to drop $50 just to play CS:S now and HL2 when it comes out. Oh well.

Sp3eD said:
yeah I finally figured that out AFTER I downloaded Steam again and go my account up and running. Their loss though, I was feeling impulsive and was going to drop $50 just to play CS:S now and HL2 when it comes out. Oh well.
if i had to guess, you could take that $50 to ebay and get yourself one of those ati vouchers. then youll have access to cs:source now and hl2 later, just what youre looking for. :D

Cutley

Banned
HL2 isnt going to come out for a while yet, the cs:s beta only just started and the final game is supposed to ship with hl2, so don't you think they need to finish the beta first?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cutley said:
HL2 isnt going to come out for a while yet, the cs:s beta only just started and the final game is supposed to ship with hl2, so don't you think they need to finish the beta first?

Here's a newsflash for ya:

The CS: Source Beta was really just a vehicle to get the HL2 engine stress test onto as many computers as possible.

Burger

Cutley said:

You don't understand how Steam works.

Steam is a major part of CS:S, as in it runs through Steam.

Valve could ship the version of CS:S that came out 3 patches ago with HL2, as soon as you install the game and load your keys into Steam, it grabs what new data it needs (patches, levels, whathaveyou) and loads the game.

CS:S won't hold up the HL2 game at all.

Burger

ManaByte said:
Here's a newsflash for ya:

The CS: Source Beta was really just a vehicle to get the HL2 engine stress test onto as many computers as possible.

Rubbish.

The video test was in the 2nd patch. Using steam they could have quite happily released the stress test as a standalone item, and the fans would have still gobbled it up.

The CS:S Beta was realeased as a closed beta to fix any holes in the biggest online game ever. It was a requirement, not a vehicle.

Valve already know how well their engine runs.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Burger said:
You don't understand how Steam works.

Steam is a major part of CS:S, as in it runs through Steam.

Valve could ship the version of CS:S that came out 3 patches ago with HL2, as soon as you install the game and load your keys into Steam, it grabs what new data it needs (patches, levels, whathaveyou) and loads the game.

CS:S won't hold up the HL2 game at all.

considering that CS:S is quite possibly more popular than Half-Life 2, they'd probably want CS:S bundled to spur the extra sales

Burger

What do you mean probably ? Counterstrike Source was confirmed as shipping with HalfLife 2 a long time ago.

What I'm trying to say, is that CS:S will keep itself up to date not as an option, but a requirement for play, unlike the old CS where there were different ver servers all over the place.

Valve could patch the game 10 times between the time the disc goes to production and the time it hits the shelves. THAT is why the beta won't hold up the release of HL2.

BeOnEdge

Banned
thats actually pretty damn cool as far as the preload thing goes. so the game will be availible for download online? as far as purchasing it? thats pretty sweet! have any other major games done this in the past?

Rorschach

BeOnEdge said:
thats actually pretty damn cool as far as the preload thing goes. so the game will be availible for download online? as far as purchasing it? thats pretty sweet! have any other major games done this in the past?
Condition Zero was preloaded and available for purchase on release. Basically, you had the game already downloaded and then you chose whether or not you wanted to play/buy it.

[edit] Anybody have any clue when the hell HL2 will be out? :|

Top Bottom