• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 - Release soon?

Coin Return

Loose Slot
hl2pcgamer_1096328892.gif

Along with that, here is what halflife2.net has to say:

We certainly have an exciting couple of months ahead of us. I know I have said it in almost every single news post about Half-Life 2 over the past few weeks but the wait is indeed nearly over and we'll shortly find out whether or not the wait has been worth it.

With at least three magazines so far confirming printed reviews in October, we're finally going to get a verdict on the game we've all been waiting for. Here's the review schedule as it stands so far:

PC Gamer UK: Tuesday 5th October 2004
PC Gameplay NL: Tuesday 5th October 2004
PC Zone UK: Friday 8th October 2004

So far, the American magazines have all been very tight-lipped about whether or not they will be covering Half-Life 2 in their next issues but I'm sure they'll follow the trend, along with other magazines worldwide.

And as if this wasn't enough to get you excited already, our forum member, uziholda, informed me over the weekend that he'd received a personal response to an e-mail from Mark Donald, editor of PC Gamer UK. He says so little but yet so much:

uziholda: ...was [Half-Life 2] what you guys expected?
Mark Donald: More

We'll bring you more news as we have it, but if you work for a print magazine, or know of any other print magazines scheduled to be printing a review, then please contact me here. UPDATE: Seems as though in my error, a speculative date I had written down creeped into the information I had and it has now been confirmed that Australian PC Powerplay magazine, will not be printing a review in their issue out on October 20th. I apologise for any inconvenience.

Very exciting news to say the least.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
PC Gamer should've gone for the really dramatic route and just had their logo at the top and the Half-life 2 logo in the middle of a black background with no other words. Or maybe just the word 'Yep.' at the bottom of it. Either way, I've learned not to hold my breath with this game, although it's still looking likely to be out in November, maybe late October.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
How awesome would that be if these mags reviewed the game by next month only face the reality that the game has been delayed another 6-8 months! ;)

tedtropy said:
PC Gamer should've gone for the really dramatic route and just had their logo at the top and the Half-life 2 logo in the middle of a black background with no other words.

Judging by the drop shadow for the sake of a drop shadow on the inside of the logo, my expectations for cover art on PCG are already too low to expect that. EDGE, maybe.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
It wouldn't reflect too poorly on them since they reviewed a version authorized by Valve. It just make Vivendi look like the douchebags they are. The game is done. Release it, assholes.

edit - Preload #4 just started. Supposedly they're letting everyone download CSS in encypted form.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I don't know why everyone is painting vivendi as the bad guys here without knowing all the facts... I don't know all the facts, either, but I believe when Vivendi signed the agreement with valve to publish the game, it was believed that Valve wouldn't turn around and try to sell the game themselves online through steam, essentially competing with the game's retail sales, which Vivendi is responsible for. If that's the case and Valve didn't clearly state their intentions for Steam in the contract, then Vivendi has a very legitimate beef and Valve should be the ones that everyone is pissed off at.

They were the ones who promised a September '03 release, they were the ones who had shitty code theft protection (and I mean real shitty), and they seem to be the ones trying to weasel their publisher out of their full cut of the deal.

No matter what I do, it always says that Half-Life 2 is already pre-loaded on my computer as much as it can go. It won't even let me Pre-Load Part 3. Why?

Top Bottom