• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 street date broken

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=17474110

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=172895

Date Posted: 1:22pm Subject: Half-Life 2 Street Date Broken
As hard as you may, keeping a top-title like Half-Life 2, Halo 2 or, GTA: San Andreas off the streets before the official release is nigh on impossible, so news that Half-Life 2 is already on sale comes as no shock.

DRaG0nBLaD3 from the Rage3D forums acquired the game from a branch of B&M, plus he has the photos to prove it. Several other users on the Steam forums have also claimed to have bought the game, although the discussion there is far less informative, or in English. However, DRaG0nBLaD3 is unable to play the game as it is locked on Valve's servers, although Valve previously promised to unlock the game for everyone should the street date be broken.

So, will they?

hl2installing.jpg

hl2cds.jpg

IJoel

I feel like Teddy in the AI movie when he has to choose between the two kids.

HALO 2 <------------------- Teddy ----------------------> HL2

:(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bogg said:
Wait wait wait, so he bought the game, but can't play it becuase it's locked on steam? Eh?!

The game requires you to register on Steam when you first run the game. After that, you don't need to register on Steam anymore. Probably some copy protection thingy

skip

does one have to have a steam account in order to unlock/activate their physical HL2, or just internet access?

Ferrio said:
Jesus I hope there's a version I can download as soon as it comes out...... oh ya...... I DO
You hope there's a version you can download... oh ya.... YOU DO?

That doesn't make any sense.

Well this news just ruined my vacation. *checks work e-mail anticipating a dozen angry emails from VUG about the inevitable HL2 pre-retail pirate leak* :(

MrparisSM

Banned
Mason said:
WTF, I'm not registering on Steam. That's just fucking stupid.

Don't worry, somebody will hack the files, to where you don't have to register to play it. Probably won't be able to play the online multiplayer aspect though. :(

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm all for forcing people to unlock it online to prevent piracy (for the day or two it lasts), but shit, the kid has a legit copy. Let him fucking play it.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Please just activate the game on STEAM this weekend. There is no reason to wait for a retail street date once it's been broken.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Mashing said:
5 CD'S??!?! A fucking FPS on 5 fucing CD's? I only accept shit like that for adventure games or RPGs... crazy

As said earlier, Unreal Tourny 2k4 was 6 cd and doesn't even have a single player mode.

I still can't understand why they release those game on CDs, if you have the hardware to play those game, chance are you have a frigging DVD-ROM.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So does that mean you cant install/play HL2 on a PC without an internet connection?

That's kinda lame.

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, call me a tool, but I just plunked down the $109~ for the Gold version.
Any idea what's include in the collector's box? I know the hat, posters, sticket, guide and stuff, but is there an actual CDS/DVD?

The most anticipated PC game release ever? I don't know. That's a pretty bold statement. I remember a lot of anticipation for Unreal way back in the day.

Still though...FUCKING UNLOCK IT ALREADY.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
its not surprisingly, HL2 shipped to us a couple days, but since we live in florida we won't get it till a couple days before it releases, since its UPS, it could take anywhere from 1 to 7 days depending on location.

Bregor

An internet connection is listed in the minimum system requirements. If you bought it for a PC without an internet connection, it's only your fault.

I'll bet Valve doesn't unlock it yet. They probably will only do it if there is widespread breaking of the street date.

Rhindle

I don't understand how this scheme is supposed to work. Is there a restriction on installing and running the game on multiple computers? If not, what is the point of this?

Burger

Valve aint unlocking shit. Who cares if a thousand people managed to buy it. They can't do didly squat with it until release day.

Top Bottom