• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life. PC or PS2? Why?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, if you recall I'm the one that went out and bought every kind of Half-Life available on the PC. Yes, even Condition Zero. Just picked up a brand new copy of the PS2 game for about 16 bucks. Found out it had some exclusive stuff I couldn't otherwise get on the PC versions.

I read some reviews, but I'm curious about what the GAF collective thinks. Especially in regards to the 2 player coop story mode, called Decay.

trippingmartian said:
A Half-Life PC CD key gets you HL, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Opposing Force, and Team Fortress on steam. I'm going with PC.

+ 100's of more mods. You can only play poke646, They Hunger Trilogy, etc on PC

Mejilan

Yes, I know all that. I got a slew of downloads when I first Steamed my copy of Half-life. But, then again, I got the Platinum Pack Edition 2 which came with everything except for CZ, even Blue Shift.

But that wasn't my main question. I have them both now, so value for the dollar isn't an issue.

MrPing1000 said:
poke646, They Hunger Trilogy, etc on PC
I'm going to try those out. I just finished play Gunman Chronicles, which wasn't too shabby.

Personally I love Counter-Life (Half-Life missions with CS weapons).

I also own almost every version of HL there is, I have HL, Opposing FOrce, Blue SHift, Condition Zero, HL PS2 and CSX, CSX is shit I played it once and hated, it's been shelved. I was impressed at Hl on the PS2, I thought it was a well done port (though my freind dissagrees, seems he had a lot of glitches or something) But for me it ran well, and I enjoyed playing on my TV. I only played a bit of Decay, but I liked what I played of it, wouldent mind finishing it sometime to get it's side of the sorty. Condition Zero I bought, but am still yet to install. it came out the same day as Far Cry, what do you think I was going to play?

Half - Life 2 I need you!

~Black Deatha

Mejilan

What is CSX?

I hear you can play Decay single player too, but that it isn't nearly as fun.

Mejilan

What's so bad about it? CSX, that is.

Pretty sure that the Mac and DC versions of HL were killed prior to release.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mejilan said:
What's so bad about it? CSX, that is.

Pretty sure that the Mac and DC versions of HL were killed prior to release.

You can play a gold version for DC. Its is a very good adaptation too.

Mejilan

Yeah, but it is better than the PS2 or PC versions, or at least does it offer something the others don't? By 'gold' you mean complete but bootleg? If it was done, why was it never released? What a waste.

epmode

both the ps2 version and pc version are better, though the dc port is pretty good. its main game would have been exactly the same, but it was also going to add an exclusive scenario called blue shift. when the game was cancelled, blue shift was ported to pc.

no one's entirely sure why the game was cancelled, but it probably has a lot to do with the company not wanting to lose any more money by publishing a game for a dying system.

Mejilan

You know, I was never big into HL, but for some reason, everytime I encountered the phrase Blue Shift, I thought to myself 'Dreamcast' for some reason. Half-surprised to see it on the list of games included with the bundle I purchased last week. I wonder why it doesn't show up on Steam...

Thanks for clarifying.

epmode

Mejilan said:
I wonder why it doesn't show up on Steam...
it will eventually be ported to steam, but this is valve we're talking about. we likely won't see it until well after half-life 2 ships.

Mejilan

But BS has been available on the PC for years now, right? Unless you mean being updated as a Source Engine game and then being released on Steam...

epmode

Mejilan said:
Unless you mean being updated as a Source Engine game and then being released on Steam...
that's the most likely scenario, considering that every single 1st party mod and expansion will eventually get a source upgrade.

as for why it doesn't show up in steam now, i think it has something to do with the updated models screwing up the other steam titles. valve probably didn't spend much time trying to fix it, what with hl2 and the source ports in development.

Mejilan

BS features better graphics than the others? I figured some of those substantial download updates you have to download would have brought the rest of HL up to speed (haven't played around too much with it yet to compare.) Actually, I thought my BS installation prompted me to update the rest of HL... High Definition Pack, or something?

Mejilan

Ordered from Amazon CS CZ on the third of this month, and got it on Friday. Noticed (thanks to a friend's keen eye) that Amazon dropped it down from 34.99 (what I paid) to 24.99 sometime within the past few days. I emailed them back, and despite placing my order before the price drop was applied, they are refunding me back 10 bucks.

:)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Dreamcast?! Please, I downloaded that for kicks and the PC version is so much better.

The DC version has to load constantly, has no AA or AF, has terrible controls and lags like crazy.

Top Bottom