• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this. Everything is pretty bare bones pre and post match. I guess they tried to streamline it for esports.
That just seems like an odd reason because all the features people want can be skipped or ignored for eSports..halo 3 and reach MLG worked fine. It wasn't broke so why fix it?

Trup1aya

Yeah, I agree too much discussion about pros, tournaments and ranking systems. Casual players are very intimidated by this, I think. It's nice that 343 has a pro team to balance stuff and such, but they should not always be discussed.

Here's hope that 2016 makes Halo 5 feature rich just like the previous games.

I don't think discussion about tourneys, Pros, and rankings intimidates casuals...

Casuals aren't participating in these discussions... They just play the games, I think.

I agree with this. Everything is pretty bare bones pre and post match. I guess they tried to streamline it for esports.

Umm... I agree the lobbies are painfully barebones... But I don't see how one makes the connection between the bad UI and esports...

It's just s bad UI

I'd use my REQ cards wayyyy more if i could use them in a Firefight scenario. Especially the legendary ones that i know im crap with competively but would have fun shooting large amounts of suicide grunts screaming at me about how their fallen comrades will have vengence.

arimanius

I'd use my REQ cards wayyyy more if i could use them in a Firefight scenario. Especially the legendary ones that i know im crap with competively but would have fun shooting large amounts of suicide grunts screaming at me about how their fallen comrades will have vengence.

This. If there was a PvE mode that I could use REQs in I would actually care about reqs. Right now I just sell everything.

Yep. Firefight needs to come asap. This sounds amazing

This. If there was a PvE mode that I could use REQs in I would actually care about reqs. Right now I just sell everything.

think about driving an oni scout warhog into a groupling of grunts. all screaming their agonizing death as they fly and explode into green farts.

Oh the joy i could have...

343i plz

God yes.

Right now I keep a self-imposed maximum of 20 cards for everything except the ultra-rare stuff, and sell everything else.

I'd use all of it a ton more if I could bring them into a Firefight or Spartan Ops style mode.

Also, if it were easier to get full teams of 12 for Warzone. I don't use vehicle cards at all unless there's at least a few people in the match talking. Every experience with a mute Hog driver or gunner has been terrible thus far.

Yeah agreed 100%. I regularly use REQs in WZ Assault but it's always the same 5 that I've learnt to use effectively in very specific situations, I don't want to gamble on getting use out of something I only have 3 copies of if I don't know exactly how to utilise it. Even if that ends up meaning I never use them at all. That's just how I work. :/

IHaveIce

Banned
Man that would be fantastic

see5harp

I kinda wish they didn't drop Spartan Ops all together. It had a lot of unrealized potential. I'd love a reason to play campaign or campaign like missions in between mp. I hope they bring back firefight and or Spartan ops or better yet a WZ mashup of the two.

I hated Spartan Ops but with the new dedis, I'd love the chance to play a long session of ODST Spartan Ops.

Caja 117

I never said that.

I have no problem with sprint.

I don't think Halo will ever ascend back to the top of the multiplayer shooter heap. However, the idea that because Call of Duty exists, Halo can never attract casual players again is madness. Halo always required skill, yet always managed to get casual players anyway. Why? An emphasis on player experience. .

The problem has never been about attracting casuals, is retaining those casuals, and that goes beyond that social experience and more to do with the direct shooter competition, IMO Halo biggest mistake its releasing one or two week before a CoD, by the time Halo Reach was released on September, Black ops released almost 2 month after, and Reach had a good retention even after that, but with Halo 4 and 5 is different, Casuals that get a Halo are not going to get familiarized with the gameplay in a week because by that time the next CoD is already out, if you give players more time to play the game, month and a Half and maybe some casual will actually start enjoying and feel comfortable with the Game.

Halo is a game that you don't enjoy when you play for your very first time the MP, you will just die a bunch of time, which is not fun (and todays gamers has less tolerance to BS and so on), so it is easier and less rage inducing to move on, because the CoD is around the corner.

And see how your post is well received? there are ways to criticize the game without trashing the developer, other posters or posting how proud you are on your quitting antics.

E92 M3

I don't think discussion about tourneys, Pros, and rankings intimidates casuals...

Casuals are participating in these discussions... They just play the games, I think.

Umm... I agree the lobbies are painfully barebones... But I don't see how one makes the connection between the bad UI and esports...

It's just s bad UI

I think everything synergizes together to form the umbrella experience. Right now, Halo 5 feels very cold and calculating... if that makes sense.

Yes, that would be a beautiful solution. I don't see a point for legendary onetime use cards because you can just spawn and be killed. Completely takes away the excitement of getting them. I don't even open req packs lol.

This x10000. I would LOVE to blast my way through a Covenant Army with these REQ Weapons.

Trup1aya

I think everything synergizes together to form the umbrella experience. Right now, Halo 5 feels very cold and calculating... if that makes sense.

Yes, that would be a beautiful solution. I don't see a point for legendary onetime use cards because you can just spawn and be killed. Completely takes away the excitement of getting them. I don't even open req packs lol.

I can understand why someone would feel that way... But it's not because of discussion of Pro's... It's because of presentation.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Stinkles: "It is known."

please.

Fuchsdh

I kinda wish they didn't drop Spartan Ops all together. It had a lot of unrealized potential. I'd love a reason to play campaign or campaign like missions in between mp. I hope they bring back firefight and or Spartan ops or better yet a WZ mashup of the two.

Agreed. S1.5 of Spartan Ops drastically improved on the initial release, and I'm confident they could have refined it further.

Caja 117

I can understand why someone would feel that way... But it's not because of discussion of Pro's... It's because of presentation.
I would argue that there is some impact for some people knowing the Pro angle in Halo 5, in the Halo 3 era I remember some that loathed MLG and the perceived elitism it brought.

E92 M3

Well, the word "pro" gets uttered so much by 343 that it can have an impact on the general perception. Honestly, I think it's a bunch of elements working together.

I don't get the hate for Overgrowth. It reminds me of a cross between Chill Out and Ghost Town, except actually good, in the latter's case. Controlling mid is also extremely challenging, albeit satisfying.

I don't get the hate for Overgrowth. It reminds me of a cross between Chill Out and Ghost Town, except actually good, in the latter's case. Controlling mid is also extremely challenging, albeit satisfying.

I think people dislike it because of the weapons on the map.

Sword + Camo + Shotgun.

Those three in a tight-knit evironment is dreadful.
They need needlers + Speed boost + needlers + plasma pistol + needlers
did i mention needlers?

Watch someone say it does have a needler. lol
=(

Nowise10

I only played like 4 matches on it, but after those four matches I felt like I had enough of the map already haha. It was just constant grenade spam, swording/getting sworded, and shotgunning/getting shotgunned. Like all four matches played exactly like that.

The grenades were the worse factor though

DamnBoxes

I love the way it plays and the way it looks. Also -- contrary to popular belief -- it's not impossible to counter the shotgun and sword carriers on this map. Gotta' be extra careful, is all.

link1201

I think people dislike it because of the weapons on the map.

Sword + Camo + Shotgun.

Those three in a tight-knit evironment is dreadful.
They need needlers + Speed boost + needlers + plasma pistol + needlers
did i mention needlers?

Watch someone say it does have a needler. lol
=(
I haven't played it much myself but it does seem kinda bad when watching the streams of people playing on it.

Caja 117

I love the way it plays and the way it looks. Also -- contrary to popular belief -- it's not impossible to counter the shotgun and sword carriers on this map. Gotta' be extra careful, is all.

Impossible? no, Annoying? Yes, small corridors that connect themselves give a lot of strength to the sword, the way you usually counter a sprinting sword attacker is by dashing but the tight corridors give you little room to maneuver.

Trup1aya

I would argue that there is some impact for some people knowing the Pro angle in Halo 5, in the Halo 3 era I remember some that loathed MLG and the perceived elitism it brought.

Well, the word "pro" gets uttered so much by 343 that it can have an impact on the general perception. Honestly, I think it's a bunch of elements working together.

How many casual gamers are so invested in developer commentary? Most just play the games they like and are influenced more by what there friends are playing than what the developers says in forums and blogs.

The mere mention of a pro scene doesn't instantly make a game less fun to play.

Strider

Wasnt in party chat for the first time in so long but I'm glad I wasn't. No one on my team was chatting but we won 3v4 and the other team was sooooo salty after the match rofl
giphy.gif
Hearing them rage was hilarious.

Feels good man

Second March on Stormbreak Warzone matches in a row. Why does this map exist? It's sooo bad.

They should have roof access to the fortress. easier to enter from outside than it is to defend if someone was upthere looking out. You can get on top right now but you get an out of bounds countdown to death.

also fix the spawn for defending, died once and spawned back at home base.. had to run all the way back to the fortress and that's when they capped it cause everyone who died spawned back at home base.. .. -_-

Having elements of a pro scene is fine, but the emphasis that Halo 5 has put on it is disproportionate.

They're catering to one niche and in doing so are telling 90% of the audience that don't consider themselves pros and want nothing to do with the pro scene that 'THIS ISNT FOR YOU'.

link1201

Second March on Stormbreak Warzone matches in a row. Why does this map exist? It's sooo bad.
Yesterday I had a match on this map that just dragged on forever. It was weird the opposing team really never rushed the fortress they were just content to hold their west base. It was very tedious...Noctus should be the map they look to in future map design.

Ramirez

Dropped my sensitivity to 2 and I'm doing much better in the 4 games I've used it. I'm fucked in CQC, but I'm faring much better in 1v1s.

They should have roof access to the fortress. easier to enter from outside than it is to defend if someone was upthere looking out. You can get on top right now but you get an out of bounds countdown to death.

also fix the spawn for defending, died once and spawned back at home base.. had to run all the way back to the fortress and that's when they capped it cause everyone who died spawned back at home base.. .. -_-

Tons of changes need to happen to The Fortress on Stormbreak. There needs to be another entrance on either side of the base, or a large entrance in the back where The Warden spawns, or both. And the amount of Marines needs to be reduced by 2.

Great map. I noticed everyone constantly sprinting on it. That's where it gets confusing and then you run into a guy with a sword or shotgun. I play as if was Halo 3, but with some cool Spartan abilities. Basically, no sprinting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom