• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I think a "Team Hardcore" list is better for matchmaking than a specific leagues tournament settings.

The problem is you'll get certain leagues claiming that their settings are better (vs 343's settings), and you get a big bitchfest of arguments over whether or not that's true. It's just easier for them to say screw it and just let MLG manage the playlist.

The problem is you'll get certain leagues claiming that their settings are better (vs 343's settings), and you get a big bitchfest of arguments over whether or not that's true. It's just easier for them to say screw it and just let MLG manage the playlist.

It's easier, but I don't think it's better for the playlist/players. MLG updates settings based on a schedule for tournaments, which typically doesn't line up and work well for playlist updates. Then, when they don't have a tourney for a while, or they abandon the game, the playlist is left to die.

A Team Hardcore playlist isn't restricted to MLG's schedule, nor is it restricted by their very specific set of gametypes that result in playing about two different maps. If 343 does it with input from several communities/their own vision of "hardcore", then you get a playlist with hopefully more frequent updates and a playlist with greater variety of maps and gametypes while remaining a good place for players that want a hardcore experience in matchmaking.

I think a Team Hardcore playlist will attract a wider selection of players in matchmaking as well.

Purplemage

Neo Member
I'm really hoping the covie video is out tomorrow. Can't wait to see my sexy sword rippin and tearin.

Also, I noticed in one of heckfu's videos that people were chucking promethean grenades at the flag. Not that the strategy is any different from current halo games but that seems like the perfect use for that nade considering it does seem a bit weak but has a slight duration.

They have barely showed anything from multiplayer directly, but have shown a LOT of the campaign - I'm going to avoid watching anymore campaign stuff to try and keep it a mystery, feels like I already know too much.

I can only think of one video from Pax which wasn't off screen footage, and that video was the giant bomb video which was a deliberate joke.

Actually thinking about it, except for the 8 perspectives on like 2 MLG games, we haven't seen decent quality footage of multiplayer even on the other maps have we? It's like the barn leak was an omen to the wider marketing campaign lol.

Isn't direct feed from pro players what you wanted?

Are you forgetting the first weapons video which shows off Longbow?

As for Campaign vs Multiplayer coverage, I feel as though it's been pretty skewed towards MP. A large part of the marketing sees 343 discussing new sandbox elements whilst only offering brief scenarios as to their implementation. We have seen glimpses of locales from the story (Campaign and Spartan Ops) but we have very little context.

The ship crashes and Cortana is the milk in the fridge you should have thrown out by now. We have hints I guess but those things go over the heads of people who aren't analysing the videos.

I like the sandbox talk because it appeals to everyone. We can see what might work against the new enemies. We can see where competitive players will thrive. I dunno. It's easy to say we no very little about MP but I definitely feel as though there is a very stable foundation of stuff beneath us.

FyreWulff

A single league shouldn't have monopoly over the hardcore aspect of matchmaking, especially when that league up and abandons the game and shuts out their community from contributing to the playlist.

There should be a neutral Team Hardcore - which is built off feedback from the various leagues and hardcore communities. And since it wouldn't be locked to a certain company's promotional schedule, the hardcore community could actually have their hardcore maps contributed to it, and the playlist could receive regular updates and experience actual evolution from the hardcore community's feedback. This has happened a few times:

Me: That's a nice map there.

Forger: Cool, I made it for hardcore MLG settings. Can I get it into matchmaking?

Me: Well, MLG won't let us submit content for the MLG playlist, but we can submit it for normal matchm-

Forger: *hang up sound*

But why not give control to a league or community that would actually listen and update their settings?

Gazzawa

This Thursday don't watch the GTTV super early spoilers
"reveal" to gttv means spoiler
that shit ruined Halo 3:ODST and Reach for me.
Could not unsee

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
But why not give control to a league or community that would actually listen and update their settings?

How do you determine which community?
Why do they deserve it or than other similar communities?
What about other gametype communities?

They should never, ever give an entire playlist over to public communities' control. MLG is an exception, a special exception and it isn't governed by a community. Grifball is another exceptional circumstantial example.

Far too much potential for drama - what about the SWAT community? BTB community? Infection community? Objective (lol) community?

And this is ignoring the obvious playlist bloat issues.

The suggestion of a unified Hardcore playlist seems to be the sweetspot but I doubt they'll take away MLG's silver spoon.

TheOddOne

This Thursday don't watch the GTTV super early spoilers
"reveal" to gttv means spoiler
that shit ruined Halo 3:ODST and Reach for me.
Could not unsee
Script for every GTTV episode:

Geoff: THIS THURSDAY NEW EXCLUSIVE [GAME] FOOTAGE.

*SHOWS 14 SECOND FOOTAGE THAT WAS ALREADY ON THE INTERNET, BUT DID NOT GET ATTENTION FROM THE NORMAL NON-HARDCORE CROWD*

Geoff: YOU JUST SAW NEW FOOTAGE FROM [GAME], ONLY ON GTTV!

Gazzawa

Script for every GTTV episode:

Geoff: THIS THURSDAY NEW EXCLUSIVE [GAME] FOOTAGE.

*SHOWS 14 SECOND FOOTAGE THAT WAS ALREADY ON THE INTERNET, BUT DID NOT GET ATTENTION FROM THE NORMAL NON-HARDCORE CROWD*

Geoff: YOU JUST SAW NEW FOOTAGE FROM [GAME], ONLY ON GTTV!

"AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYZING" and "awesome" overused to the point where you are not sure what they mean anymore

TheOddOne

"AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYZING" and "awesome" overused to the point where you are not sure what they mean anymore
One thing about GTTV I like though is that every developer that comes on the show looks like he or she is about to burst out laughing on how absurd it all is. Like go back and watch them, their faces are like "What the fuck is this shit?".

One thing about GTTV I like though is that every developer that comes on the show looks like he or she is about to burst out laughing on how absurd it all is. Like go back and watch them, their faces are like "What the fuck is this shit?".

That's exactly what I'm like, when you join my lobby.

2zBkT.jpg

Do I get a commendation now?

Overdoziz

Banned
Regarding MLG - or competitive - gametypes. Personally I'd like to see a stripped down version of the game. I don't care if it won't bring in a ton of people who normally won't play competitive, I like my Halo simple. If that means playing in a playlist with only 1000 people in it at a time, so be it.

Omni

This is amazing. From a couple of pages ago.

First level of Halo 3? Am I missing something?

When the GTTV thing airs, anyone wanna tell me if there are spoilers? I'm trying to avoid all campaign spoilers.
Go dark like me! Within the next hour or so I will be leaving HaloGAF until release. I've told myself that I won't be spoiled again like I was with Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Fuchsdh

65Wjq.png

Says it all really. Guy doesn't even look up who actually made CEA and lambasting a neat novelty graphic switch feature, come on.

Yeah CEA set the bar on that score. I can't imagine wanting to leave that kind of feature out of any future remakes.

wwm0nkey

What good does he think that will do for Halo 4, if anything, they shouldn't beg for the old two voice actors back because they'll be used to the new ones by the time Halo 5 comes around.

Well even though they might not be the biggest fan base due to where they live and how the 360 does over there but I would be pretty pissed if Steve Downes no longer did Chief so I imagine that is how they are feeling.

Moa

Well even though they might not be the biggest fan base due to where they live and how the 360 does over there but I would be pretty pissed if Steve Downes no longer did Chief so I imagine that is how they are feeling.

Still doesn't answer the question, it will just cause more confusion upon players for the future games, you have the same voice actors for the first few Halo games, you switch to new ones for Halo 4 then switch back for all new ones?

If Steve Downes & Jen Taylor were not doing the voices in Halo 4, but were in Halo 5, I'd prefer the voice actors for Halo 4 for the rest of Chief's story.

wwm0nkey

Still doesn't answer the question, it will just cause more confusion upon players for the future games, you have the same voice actors for the first few Halo games, you switch to new ones for Halo 4 then switch back for all new ones?

If Steve Downes & Jen Taylor were not doing the voices in Halo 4, but were in Halo 5, I'd prefer the voice actors for Halo 4 for the rest of Chief's story.

They want them changed back IN Halo 4, they don't want to wait for 5 for the voices to go back. At this time though that request is sadly too late. They will have to adjust to it but its still sad that they have to adjust to it is the point I guess I am trying to make.

Seance

Banned
I say competitive scenes just leave it all in and hope for the best (at first at least). If people want to spawn with AR's in MLG against a team of DMR's, let them. As for the Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades, those things are all just custom game settings essentially that you can enhance your Spartan with in Matchmaking, so maybe there will be a setting to make it so that all mods can be used at the same time.

Having that setting would simply equate to a mildly faster and more visceral Halo, while allowing all competitive scenes to focus on less potentially-polarizing areas such as maps and weapon placements.

Sure, but i don't think people are actually concerned about that. I don't care about Joe Scrub identifying with MLG settings nearly as much as i care about having a good movement speed (110%) and no bullshit AA's.

Let the casuals stick to the social playlists, I want MLG settings to be good.

heckfu

Banned
Went by GameStop yesterday to preorder the LE and employee confirmed they are out nationwide.

Thank goodness Amazon still had some! I know people laugh at LE buyers but I think they're always pretty fun to look through and it's only, what, $10 extra after all the dlc? Yeah. I'll take one.

willow ve

This guy is an idiot. If I want snarky reviews I'll watch something by Yahtzee/Zero Punctuation.

From the article
Bungie did something new with HALO: Reach by throwing equipment into the Spartan arsenal and that was very much appreciated, especially when it came to the multiplayer, but can HALO 4 bring its own uniqueness to the table?

No. Wrong. The end. isaidgoodday.gif

Went by GameStop yesterday to preorder the LE and employee confirmed they are out nationwide.

Thank goodness Amazon still had some! I know people laugh at LE buyers but I think they're always pretty fun to look through and it's only, what, $10 extra after all the dlc? Yeah. I'll take one.

I just popped into HMV, seems like you can still get the LE, but it seems like they expect even the standard edition to be sold out unless you pre-order, thats probably just sales speech thought.

You should be ashamed of yourself for believing anything a Gamestop employee tells you.

Okay so I looked it up and they replaced them with the guy who plays Yamato from Naruto:

XCnn8.jpg

And the woman who played Kneesocks from Panty & Stocking:

HlBc6.jpg

I'm okay with this.
None of the Japanese fans said the new voice actors are bad. They just felt off because they are not used to them.

Top Bottom