• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Agree with this.

We need to assign Top Men to understanding Reach grenades, because I sure as hell don't. My spartan explodes if I even see one of those things land near me, but the ones I throw all have NERF written on the side.

Good riddance. My total grenade deaths in multi is flat out ridiculous.

They have magnetism. Fully convinced.

Striker

Speak for yourself, 1 nade starts is precisely the reason I hate Arena & Doubles. Halo was meant to be played with 2 nades, 1 just empowers campers & makes it near impossible to penetrate power positions on a map...

Reach nades are super OP, but it fundamentally changes the game when you limit it to 1.
Speaking for Arena, but they borked Asylum by having zero nades on the map. Sanctuary had two in base, and had frags in center. Why they decided to go zero is unanswered. So yeah, that was one setup more difficult to break if it became close and players were playing more conservative. I've found running into Powerhouse, Zealot, and Reflection, there's already a decent amount of placements on the map it didn't hurt. When you get two, more often I get encounters with players trying to get kills with grenades rather than firing their gun.

Doubles is another story. Map design is its biggest problem and aside from something really small like Midship or Warlock it isn't very good.

Overdoziz

Banned
Speaking for Arena, but they borked Asylum by having zero nades on the map. Sanctuary had two in base, and had frags in center. Why they decided to go zero is unanswered. So yeah, that was one setup more difficult to break if it became close and players were playing more conservative. I've found running into Powerhouse, Zealot, and Reflection, there's already a decent amount of placements on the map it didn't hurt. When you get two, more often I get encounters with players trying to get kills with grenades rather than firing their gun.

Doubles is another story. Map design is its biggest problem and aside from something really small like Midship or Warlock it isn't very good.
Lack of grenades is probably the least offensive part of Asylum.

Speaking for Arena, but they borked Asylum by having zero nades on the map. Sanctuary had two in base, and had frags in center. Why they decided to go zero is unanswered. So yeah, that was one setup more difficult to break if it became close and players were playing more conservative.

THIS. It took me a year to realize there were no nades on Asylum because it seemed so obvious to me that there MUST be nades around there somewhere.

As for what Ram said: so far it seems like Halo 4 nades are more about motivating your opponent to move to a place of your choosing rather than a power weapon that motivates bad players to die, spam, die. Can someone who has played the game speak to this?

Woorloog

Banned
Non-wub version, if you'd be so kind. My eardrums have barely recovered from the last (which I played before seeing the non-wub edition).

Same here. Screw that noise some people call music.

Still gotta ask, we never got answers, are Carbine and Lightrifle hitscan weapons or not?

THIS. It took me a year to realize there were no nades on Asylum because it seemed so obvious to me that there MUST be nades around there somewhere.

As for what Ram said: so far it seems like Halo 4 nades are more about motivating your opponent to move to a place of your choosing rather than a power weapon that motivates bad players to die, spam, die. Can someone who has played the game speak to this?

Yes, but that's how I've always used grenades in Halo.

Slaker117

Grenades definitely seemed less dominating. Bad habits from Reach had me tossing them around pretty freely, but it didn't seem to do me much good. The indicator also helps you avoid them nicely, but they still make a good deterrent for camping or rushing in mindlessly.

The grenades have longer detonation times and you have the movement abilities to get out of the way, but they are still very powerful with a decent blast radius if you don't get out of the way.

The grenades have longer detonation times and you have the movement abilities to get out of the way, but they are still very powerful with a decent blast radius if you don't get out of the way.
Yep. And if you think you still get killed by grenades way too often, you could equip the thruster pack and push you out of the radius.

Arena sucked because I won 49 out of 49 and it gave me gold.

The whole premise of Arena is for a slower game like SCII. Give us 1-50 if I didnt want instant feedback and promotions based on how good I was doing I would just go play real life.

I wonder if there is a skull in the game which turns all the music into the remix form. Now that would be cool.

Call it the All Your Bass skull. Ship it!

If people want unique themes based on existing Halo tracks for the GAF album or for the HaloGAF "machinima" then let me know now!

Grenades definitely seemed less dominating. Bad habits from Reach had me tossing them around pretty freely, but it didn't seem to do me much good. The indicator also helps you avoid them nicely, but they still make a good deterrent for camping or rushing in mindlessly.

That kind of sounds like the counter strike approach, which is a huge change of pace from Reach. In CS it is quite difficult to get kills explosive grenades, rather they are used extensively as a tool to flush out enemies.

That kind of sounds like the counter strike approach, which is a huge change of pace from Reach. In CS it is quite difficult to get kills explosive grenades, rather they are used extensively as a tool to flush out enemies.

Yea, but Grenades are pretty important and awesome in Halo, so I hope they're used for more than just flushing a camping opponent out. From what I've seen its still like the previous Halos though, just not nearly as spammy.

DeadNames

Banned
Oops... Forgot that we weren't going to see a new map in a while lol.

I was thinking about team snipers and how the binary rifle would play... If it were in at all.

I've never had a problem with grenades in any Halo game including Reach.

Bumper Jumper + always choosing sprint = less grenade deaths.

Oops... Forgot that we weren't going to see a new map in a while lol.

I was thinking about team snipers and how the binary rifle would play... If it were in at all.

Don't let anyone spawn with it and put one on the map as a power weapon. Problem solved.

Yea, but Grenades are pretty important and awesome in Halo, so I hope they're used for more than just flushing a camping opponent out. From what I've seen its still like the previous Halos though, just not nearly as spammy.
they are very important in CS too. It's more than flushing enemies out, it's disorienting them, blinding them, and making it so they can't move.

Tunavi

Banned
move that leg
TDnil.png

m23

TsjrS.png

so much content this week;)

Nice, hopefully something new and not clips put together from the vidocs.

I used to love g4 back in the old days, but then COPS and Cheaters came in, with the news of g4 ending it was still a sad thing to hear. Adam Sessler and Kevin Pereira leaving must have been the nails in the coffin for the channel.

Slaker117

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that grenades were dramatically different. In general everything still feels halo, but with upped movement speed and a visual indicator, effectiveness has been toned down from reach.

So question for you guys, is everyone starting with campaign? Cause I plan on doing some boozing/social multiplayer that night. "Drinking on a weeknight, you say?" Well, November 6th is my birthday, so damn right I'll be throwin em back. I'm getting old.

Top Bottom