• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Dirtbag

Blueblur1 said:
The Needle Rifle is a Carbine that shoots a pink beam instead of green. And it added the needle explosion effect. It's effectively the same weapon. I prefer the Carbine's design though. The Needle Rifle looks horrid and sounds worse than the Carbine did. I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that the Plasma Launcher a.k.a. 'The Dolphin' looks terrible, too.

I'm surprised the Hammer wasn't replaced by a big blue green/purple stick.

You know I'm not crazy about the Needle rifle's look either. I like the size of the gun, but it is a little on the corny side. I do however like the look of the plasma launcher. Something about it feels slick to me.

Dirtbag said:
You know I'm not crazy about the Needle rifle's look either. I like the size of the gun, but it is a little on the corny side. I do however like the look of the plasma launcher. Something about it feels slick to me.
I thinks its alright, but it would've been a nice touch if the pink needles sticking out of it actually depleted as you use up ammo like on the needler.

Dirtbag

Self Induced said:
I thinks its alright, but it would've been a nice touch if the pink needles sticking out of it actually depleted as you use up ammo like on the needler.
They didn't? I actually didn't even notice, but totally agree with you here. Maybe that will be finished for fall

Found these Reach shots while cleaning out my fileshare that I thought were pretty cool.
I have a feeling that the single-player is gonna look amazing...

29kw1oi.jpg

5flmah.jpg

5o8a38.jpg

fvh8gk.jpg

2vdjjur.jpg

2niwkyp.jpg

sy2kra.jpg

I really hope they beef up the photo mode with options for adjustable depth of field, hue-saturation, exposure, the whole nine yards.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just finished "The Mona Lisa" in Halo: Evolutions. It started off slow but really took off and never stopped throughout the rest. Great read for sure. The ending
IS A FUCKING GYP! lol, damn I wanted it to actually end. I wanted a real conclusion. Instead we're left with Lopez fighting Henry the Cricket playing Elite for a spot in the pod with the Flood attacking and the Red Horse about to Launch a Shiva. What happens next? Who wins the battle? Who survives? What about Focoult? WHAT ABOUT THE ICE CREAM?!?! lol I just finished it about an hour or so ago, maybe I'll feel different after a while.

Tashi0106 said:
Just finished "The Mona Lisa" in Halo: Evolutions. It started off slow but really took off and never stopped throughout the rest. Great read for sure. The ending
IS A FUCKING GYP! lol, damn I wanted it to actually end. I wanted a real conclusion. Instead we're left with Lopez fighting Henry the Cricket playing Elite for a spot in the pod with the Flood attacking and the Red Horse about to Launch a Shiva. What happens next? Who wins the battle? Who survives? What about Focoult? WHAT ABOUT THE ICE CREAM?!?! lol I just finished it about an hour or so ago, maybe I'll feel different after a while.
:lol

Self Induced said:

I remember them depleting. Am I going crazy?

Ok, I just booted up the beta, choose a random film, and saw myself shooting a Needle Rifle. From both first person and third person, the needles DO deplete.

Tashi0106 said:

I loved the ending.
I like to think that none of them made it, sometimes you get to the end only to see yourself fail

I really liked "The Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole." It's two stories after the one you just finished.

Also "Human Weakness" is good because it connects us from the end of Halo 2 to Halo 3.

Church RvB said:
I remember them depleting. Am I going crazy?

Ok, I just booted up the beta, choose a random film, and saw myself shooting a Needle Rifle. From both first person and third person, the needles DO deplete.
Hmm, they do?

I hope they make the effect more prominent then, I like having visual feedback on mah gunz

blazinglazers said:
Found these Reach shots while cleaning out my fileshare that I thought were pretty cool.
I have a feeling that the single-player is gonna look amazing...

29kw1oi.jpg

I really hope they beef up the photo mode with options for adjustable depth of field, hue-saturation, exposure, the whole nine yards.

The visor reflection on this is rad.

Tashi

UltimaPooh said:
I loved the ending.
I like to think that none of them made it, sometimes you get to the end only to see yourself fail

Well I don't really know what to think. If I tried to break it down, I would say the Elite fucking bashed Lopez' head in, and then made off in the pod alone. Also, Macgraw is a fucking dick. I literally said, "What the fuck" out loud when he left in the pod alone.

Meh. I'm looking forward to reading the rest that's for sure. Then I'll probably read a non Halo book in the my backlog. I do want to read Fall of Reach before Reach comes out again. When's that revision copy coming out? I might just pick that up instead.

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
Well I don't really know what to think. If I tried to break it down, I would say the Elite fucking bashed Lopez' head in, and then made off in the pod alone. Also, Macgraw is a fucking dick. I literally said, "What the fuck" out loud when he left in the pod alone.

Meh. I'm looking forward to reading the rest that's for sure. Then I'll probably read a non Halo book in the my backlog. I do want to read Fall of Reach before Reach comes out again. When's that revision copy coming out? I might just pick that up instead.
If you haven't already read the fire and ice series. Even if you dont like fantasy that shit is awesome.
now if only the next book would come out

Tashi0106 said:
Henry is one of the most badass characters in the whole of Halo, right next to Lighter Than Some, Dadab and N'tho 'Sraom.
Elites with cricket bats for the win.

Tashi

Mr Vociferous said:
Henry is one of the most badass characters in the whole of Halo, right next to Lighter Than Some, Dadab and N'tho 'Sraom.
Elites with cricket bats for the win.

Yea he is pretty bad ass.
It was fun reading the Benti parts and visualizing him smashing the Flood with the bat.

Five, I know GAF is gaga over the Fire and Ice series. So many people love it, it's gotta be good.

Tashi0106 said:
<3 The Mona Lisa. So awesome.

Ramirez said:
I loved the story about the Elite who goes back to the world he glassed, don't remember the name...
'The Return', yeah, it's damn good, had a nice "Oh shit" moment at the end.
There's a motion comic interpretation of it on Waypoint, fantastic job.

Voc, Coco, Frankie & Ellis: Skip to the next post :D

Speaking of Evolutions, there's a Art Competition 343 are starting based on Evolutions. Would one of AmeriGAF help me out and submit my girlfriends sketch if I send it on my/her behalf?
I'm not saying it's amazing, but I'd like to submit, it's a really nice piece :)

Tashi

Almost forgot. Thanks Shishka for updating the playlists. Having some fun playing MLG v8 right now, besides the Aussie host I just played on.

UltimaPooh said:
I loved the ending.

I really liked "The Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole." It's two stories after the one you just finished.

Also "Human Weakness" is good because it connects us from the end of Halo 2 to Halo 3.
Human Weakness was the Cortana story, right? I didn't like it because it made Cortana's recovery in Halo 3 even harder to swallow. I mean,
the story reveals just how close Cortana was to losing it and going rampant.

Tashi0106 said:

I imagine Lopez gets few good hits in before she eventually dies from Henry's natural strength. However there is 30 seconds left right before the fighting happens, so I imagine Henry dies in the Shiva missile explosion and then the Covenant and UNSC ships duke it out.

Those spoiler tags have never been so tempting to hover over but alas... I need that book :p

On another note, those screenshots were bloody amazing. Those particle effects and the decals on the walls as the plasma is still heated as well as it cools down are sooooo gooood.

Tashi

UltimaPooh said:
I imagine Lopez gets few good hits in before she eventually dies from Henry's natural strength. However there is 30 seconds left right before the fighting happens, so I imagine Henry dies in the Shiva missile explosion and then the Covenant and UNSC ships duke it out.

Yea that seems likely. I would have loved to read about the ship battle. I loved the Ship battles in Fall of Reach.

Playing halo 3 really shows the leaps and bounds that reach has made on the visual and dynamic lighting side of things, so good. Oh and the textures on spartans, what a huge improvement.

I was always worried about having your own spartan in single player and was tempted to just play it with the stock grey looking marine we seen in the early reach trailer... but now, think I will go with my deep green reach beta look :D

Tashi0106 said:
Yea he is pretty bad ass.
It was fun reading the Benti parts and visualizing him smashing the Flood with the bat.

Five, I know GAF is gaga over the Fire and Ice series. So many people love it, it's gotta be good.
It is. Really, really, really good. Worthy of the gaga.

Kibbles

I hope we get some sweet juicy E3 teases soon.

I'm getting a new laptop (Asus G50VT-X5) First game I'm getting is Halo 2 Vista. People still play this right?

Kibbles said:

I'm getting a new laptop (Asus G50VT-X5) First game I'm getting is Halo 2 Vista. People still play this right?

There's always a CTF game on Coagulation going down. If your new laptop will be using Windows 7, look forward to a pain in the ass getting it to work :(

edit: The only way I could get it to run was with this workaround.

Kibbles said:

Where are you getting it, Amazon? 20 bucks isn't much but if I could get it cheaper somewhere I would be interested.

BladedExpert said:
There's always a CTF game on Coagulation going down. If your new laptop will be using Windows 7, look forward to a pain in the ass getting it to work :(

edit: The only way I could get it to run was with this workaround.

welp, nevermind lol.

Gui_PT

BladedExpert said:

I remember you streaming Halo. What happened man? =(

What kind of problems do you get when installing H2 on Windows 7?

Gui_PT said:
I remember you streaming Halo. What happened man? =(

What kind of problems do you get when installing H2 on Windows 7?
Well from researching the problem (there are a lot of people with problems it seems) it has something to do with the version of Games For Windows Live that comes with Halo 2 Vista. Its v.1. GFWL is now up to v.3.*** something or other. When you try and run H2V it gives an error message:
Live Gaming on Windows failed to initialize. This may be because another
LIVE Gaming on Windows application (such as the Halo 2 dedicated server) is
running on the same machine. Otherwise, reinstalling the game may fix this
problem.

Just won't work. The workaround is pretty simple but you have to go through the steps every time you shut down the computer :/

Also, I havn't got my new pc set up for streaming yet.

Kibbles

Captain Blood said:
Where are you getting it, Amazon? 20 bucks isn't much but if I could get it cheaper somewhere I would be interested.

welp, nevermind lol.
I'm getting the 9 Cell battery version for $519.99 here - http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=G50VT-X5-PB-2R. (edit: woops, new link) They have a 6 cell battery version for $499.99 that just went up in stock too.

It comes with Vista, so hopefully I won't run into any problems getting Halo 2 to work :)

Tashi

Pshh 7 and Vista lol

I'm still rocking XP. SERVICE PACK 3 MOTHER FUCKERS!! lol

I badly want a new laptop :(((((((((((

Tashi0106 said:
Pshh 7 and Vista lol

I'm still rocking XP. SERVICE PACK 3 MOTHER FUCKERS!! lol

I badly want a new laptop :(((((((((((
Graduating high school and getting loads of money and gifts is awesome. I'll be getting a laptop this summer.

feel

Came in here to ask about that too, where's the podcast at urkle?

BladedExpert said:
I want a laptop full stop :( Its a pain in the ass lugging this big ass pc down to starbucks every time I want to work on my poetry...
:lol

BladedExpert said:
My attempt at humor for the day :lol
If it means anything, I would love to hear your poetry, but just make sure you don't have any jpegs wherever you have them or else my download time will exceed a week :(

bobs99 ... said:
The humour was rubbish
just like... your halo skills are noobish :S

Ill leave the poetry to the
bladed
experts from now on. :lol

Dude, it was better than any poem I've ever written
one when I was in Junior school...

Hydranockz said:
If it means anything, I would love to hear your poetry, but just make sure you don't have any jpegs wherever you have them or else my download time will exceed a week :(
Today 10:40 PM

All part of the humor my friend. Poetry really isn't my strong suit :lol

Gui_PT

BladedExpert said:
Well from researching the problem (there are a lot of people with problems it seems) it has something to do with the version of Games For Windows Live that comes with Halo 2 Vista. Its v.1. GFWL is now up to v.3.*** something or other. When you try and run H2V it gives an error message:

Just won't work. The workaround is pretty simple but you have to go through the steps every time you shut down the computer :/

You must be really mad at Bungie.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Came in here to ask about that too, where's the podcast at urkle?
I too am eagerly awaiting the podcast - I'm kind of surprised it's not up yet since they raised the possibility of a Monday release - but I'm sure it will hit this week sometime.

The new top story on weapon props and mo-cap process was quite interesting. I enjoy the behind the scenes vignettes like these.

BladedExpert said:
I'm running Win7 and it plays fine, I borrowed a copy off HydraNockz.

Waiting for a new graphics card before I dig in though, just upgraded to a 1920x1080 monitor, so the G210 isn't up to snuff.

BladedExpert said:
All part of the humor my friend. Poetry really isn't my strong suit :lol
And you really think a jpeg would cause my download time to exceed a week? I must terribly suck at that thing ye kids call 'humour'.

Top Bottom