• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo would kill as a Battle Royale FPS

VAL0R

Banned
Halo's unique visual style, iconic characters, weapons, vehicles and locales would be perfect for a large Battle Royale arena game.

98425d32a48bd909e4dd94151ad8f2d2.jpg

The map: Obviously it would take place on a section of a Halo ring, brimming with exotic flora and fauna and should be jam-packed with Halo fan service. Perhaps a high-risk/reward section of the map with great loot overflows with parasitic Flood NPC's, being barely contained by Sentinels blasting them from above with fiery lasers. Another section of the map might be patrolled by the full gamut of Covenant races, including hulking twin Hunters who guard access to a downed Covenant cruiser's weapon cache. A massive Scarab stands out in a smoldering graveyard of wrecked vehicle carcasses; remains of an epic battle. A UNSC fire base shows off human architecture and design. Forerunner tech is seen in towering structures and mysterious caverns into the deep. A monitor of the Halo installation (e.g. 343 Guilty Spark) flies around the map with dry and witty dialogue. And so on...

The characters: You chose from a roster of chacters ala Apex, but instead of uninspired newcomers ala Apex, you select from beloved classic Halo figures: Master Chief, Sgt. Johnson, Sgt. Forge, ODSTs (The Rookie), Spartans (Buck, Jorge, Carter, etc.), Elites (Arbiter, Half-Jaw, etc.), Brutes (Tartarus, Atriox) a Promethian knight, Flood form, etc. Depending on how deep into class-based combat 343 went they could possibly even have Hunters, jackals, etc. Cortana and other characters who might not make sense as fighters, could appear in various roles to bolster the Halo-ey goodness.

The vehicles/traversal: Enter the map by jumping out of a Pelican dropship with jet packs Apex style. Man-canons or something like them replace of Apex's rope lines with red balloons. If vehicles are OP with mounted weapons, there could be non-weaponized versions for team traversal. Or perhaps an optional all-out war mode where everything goes: Scorpions, Banshees, Warthogs, etc. Steal from Apex whatever makes sense for movement fluidity such as sliding faster downhill in and ziplines.

The weapons: Halo has some of the most iconic weapons in gaming from the instantly recognizable Plasma Sword, to the SPNKR rocket launcher, to the Assault Rifle with the digital ammo counter stolen borrowed from Aliens. Sure, there may be a need for some tweaks to make sense in a Battle Royale setting, but the starting loadout options would instantly be fun.

And if it absolutely had to be fictionally canonical, 343 could go cheap by describing it as a digital battle simulator being tested aboard a UNSC vessel or something silly like that. I think there's no need for this type of explanation, but considering 343 felt the need to fictionally justify the Spartan in Dead or Alive 4 (slipstream space/time anomaly), I'd expect them to.

Last edited:
Halo Battle Royal would be the only BR I would play as long as I still feel I can do everything on my own without relying on teammates.

Codes 208

I can’t help but feel that 343i would find some way to fuck it up.

Otherwise I partly agree. Just take the mechanics of 3 or 5, the artstyle of Reach, and the weapons across all games with a rarity system ala fortnite and it could make for a very fun game. Basically think apex meets fortnite.

Though I’m not sure I feel about shields, I think health should return as med kits ala CE and Reach and shields should be rechargeable with overshields as a power-up. And of course the series is littered with dozens of guns to choose from (or even to create more of) and for buyable skins they could always do cosmetics like gun models (MA37, MA5B, MA5C, and MA5D for assault rifles for example. Or something like the BR55 aka “Classic BR” from 2-3 and BR85 from halo 4-5)

ODESZA

I'd love Halo "classic" style BR with just the original 3 vehicles.

Keep it simple and close to the first game as possible

Boss Mog

I always wanted a Halo Battlefield like BF4 with a huge map, 64 players, and tons of vehicles, and just all out warfare.

GenericUser

I'll get that you are a halo fan OP and that's cool and all, but I doubt they could pull it off.

Cod tried the same and failed. It's difficult to use an already established fps franchise and "just" add the BR mode. There are so many things to consider when designing a BR game that its probably for the best to just start a new franchise. Respawn did it right with apex I think. By starting from scratch, they had all the creative freedom to design the BR exactly how they wanted to without having to please the fans or include things just for the sake of having them in the game because they "belong to the franchise".

cireza

If Halo games don't have a good quality single player campaign, I won't buy them anymore.

It would be great to be able to buy only the single player campaign or only the multiplayer part depending on what you like as well.

Dragagon

Neo Member
Morales, I'd not allow this at all if I had lead of the Halo franchise. Why join the horde of cows when you're already pat of the bulls? :D

Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Goldeneye 007 battle royale, or failing that, Mario Golf battle....

You know what? We've got Tetris battle royale. All bets are off. Anything goes now. Even butt stuff.

Buttle royale ? 🤔
I'd be more likely to play that than Halo BR.

...I was trying to come up with some more absurd BR type games, and I realized that Bomberman was really the first battle royale game (especially the 10 player Saturn Bomberman game). And that makes Battle Lode Runner the first battle royale clone. I guess what I'm saying is that I miss Bomberman and Battle Lode Runner.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
After playing Titanfall 2 MP for the first time recently? No thanks. I've missed standard MP. BR is cool as a side thing, but the loop of drop/loot/die on a bad day is awful. As least on a bad day, regular MP is spawn/shoot/die.

Saying that, there's zero reason they can't do both.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I would agree to an extent, but unless youre making it novel, then you've missed the BR boat. not every FPS IP needs to become a BR just because its the hot genre rn. and sooner or later someones gonna be caught with their pants down losing a ton of money because they are too late to the party.

Last edited:

Calibos

I second this sentiment. It's one of the only existing franchises that I thought would be perfect for a BR mode. If you look at Warzone, you can get an idea for what it could be like. Halo has a great push and pull combat system, amazing weapons and vehicles, clean and readable environment design and it really shines when it has large open levels. Halo 5 introduced a shit ton of weapon and vehicle rarity variants too. It really could be the best BR out there with the way that 343i has supported Halo 5 in mind too.

My only issue would be is it too little too late to try and capture the BR market when your franchise doesn't have the best mindshare right now?

Yeah they confirmed no BR already, I agree it would be amazing. 343i would make it pay 2 win or something though.

Last edited:

DonF

All the mechanics of halo would make it a great battle royale. Even reach's abilities are like Apex. It would be awesome! The physic engine would make for great clips. Imagine deflecting a rocket with the hammer to kill another dude.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I’d be shocked if BR isn’t an option in a Halo game in the not too distant future.

Not that it will be the main game, but a mode featured in the game.

Pretty sure 343 said they aren't doing this, but if they do I think the only threat is if it cannibalizes itself like Fortnite did to Save the World. I'd still want traditional multiplayer to be the main way to play. I'd be interested to know how player head count breaks down in BLOPS 4. As long as halo infinite has at least online co-op for the campaign and nice amount of classic and new maps for multiplayer then battle royale wouldn't be a terrible thing.

I would agree to an extent, but unless youre making it novel, then you've missed the BR boat. not every FPS IP needs to become a BR just because its the hot genre rn. and sooner or later someones gonna be caught with their pants down losing a ton of money because they are too late to the party.

Ill never understand people that think like you. Have games "missed the boat" for not including gametypes like CTF, or domination in their games? Its a damn game mode. Theres no fucking boat to be missed.

Not one person in the entire planet is saying to scrap traditional MP or campaign to make this. But what we ARE saying is that this "could" be a marvelous addition to whats already there. They could even release it as a "side project" after theyre done with Infinite. And yes, there are ways to easily make it unique. Like by combining it with Firefight elements where you could send out A.I. Elite patrols to attack certain squads and such. Like combining it with warzone and firefight from H5, but BR. It would be incredible if done right.

Theres a ton of potential here to do something really unique with Halo that could also allow 343 to use whatever character abilities, guns, vehicles etc they want, be creative and have very little negative feedback.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Ill never understand people that think like you. Have games "missed the boat" for not including gametypes like CTF, or domination in their games? Its a damn game mode. Theres no fucking boat to be missed.

Not one person in the entire planet is saying to scrap traditional MP or campaign to make this. But what we ARE saying is that this "could" be a marvelous addition to whats already there. They could even release it as a "side project" after theyre done with Infinite. And yes, there are ways to easily make it unique. Like by combining it with Firefight elements where you could send out A.I. Elite patrols to attack certain squads and such. Like combining it with warzone and firefight from H5, but BR. It would be incredible if done right.

Theres a ton of potential here to do something really unique with Halo that could also allow 343 to use whatever character abilities, guns, vehicles etc they want, be creative and have very little negative feedback.

Like I initally said, i agree that it should and would be great for Halo to make the jump into that mode/genre.

that said, the boat can be missed because after so many iterations the general mass will be burnt out on the genre. so when millions are burned out on the genre, the potential for revenue drops off drastically. the BR genre is slowly getting saturated as well so you miss the boat of being the single or one of the early games to the party, ie less competition and larger chunk of money. also, youre not an innovator/ have to try harder to bring something new to the table, more than just the games brand of gameplay/world/guns, in order for it to have a lasting appeal. if all you do is replicate but replace the elements with your IP then its nothing special and you maybe get an initial hype spark but wont get the lasting electricity of millions like pubg then fortnite and now anthem apex(to be seen).

if halo can innovate on the formula and truly make it their own and something special/unique then thats awesome. but the longer companies wait and the more flooded the genre becomes the smaller the piece of the pie for the publisher/devs.

so yes there is a boat to miss. you could have a boat worth 1 billion or a boat worth 100 million.

edit - i meant apex not anthem...

Last edited:
Like I initally said, i agree that it should and would be great for Halo to make the jump into that mode/genre.

that said, the boat can be missed because after so many iterations the general mass will be burnt out on the genre. so when millions are burned out on the genre, the potential for revenue drops off drastically. the BR genre is slowly getting saturated as well so you miss the boat of being the single or one of the early games to the party, ie less competition and larger chunk of money. also, youre not an innovator/ have to try harder to bring something new to the table, more than just the games brand of gameplay/world/guns, in order for it to have a lasting appeal. if all you do is replicate but replace the elements with your IP then its nothing special and you maybe get an initial hype spark but wont get the lasting electricity of millions like pubg then fortnite and now anthem (to be seen).

if halo can innovate on the formula and truly make it their own and something special/unique then thats awesome. but the longer companies wait and the more flooded the genre becomes the smaller the piece of the pie for the publisher/devs.

so yes there is a boat to miss. you could have a boat worth 1 billion or a boat worth 100 million.

Yes, i somewhat agree that there would be a "smaller piece of the pie" so to speak. But id argue that if you went on twitch right now, and watched most of the people who were playing MCC regularly, and youd see that most of them (snipedown, Roy, ogre1 and 2, etc) are now all playing Apex. These are old school Halo guys, who play/played Halo professionally, while complaining about clamber and sprint, and theyre now playing a BR game instead of the game in the franchise they love. The halo community has a "hunger" for a BR game and right now, its Apex.

The longer 343 do nothing, and the more you lose this "free promotion" of pros, community members, etc playing and promoting your franchise by playing your game. Right now theyre not pushing Halo, they are pushing Apex. And once next weekends Halo MCC tournament will be over, theyll be right back on grinding Apex, not Halo. If 343 wanna keep their community, they have to adapt to what they are actually playing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
YES PLEASE

Halo’s long TTK and huge diversity in weapons and vehicles would make BR amazing.

Also that map OP suggests would be magic

Top Bottom