• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any console had downloadable demos?

Chittagong

Gold Member
While scrolling down the ilovebees thread, I started to think back and I couldn't remember a downloadable demo for any console, although they are pretty much the standard for PC games. Most surprising is that no demos are distributed through Xbox Live.

I assume that the reasons are proprietary media format, lack of recordable media and low sophistication of network functions in consoles in general.

Any examples to the contrary?

BeOnEdge

Banned
i dont think so but wasnt there an XBL game that had MAJOR issues on LIVE patched when it wasnt supposed to be able to be patched? different situation i know but still.

Yes, full games actually. The Super Famicom in Japan used the Bandai Satellaview X modem to download games to a memory card. There was quite a few games, and I believe Satellaview was on for like 5 years or something. Radical Dreamers (Chrono Trigger Sequel), A Legend of Zelda remake, Mario Excitebike, Famicom Wars, Dragon Quest Remake and F-Zero 2 were some of the games you could download.

Interesting how the company that is often bashed for not doing this or that, has already done it.

Shompola

Banned
"Interesting how the company that is often bashed for not doing this or that, has already done it."

People want online today and not yesterday. It's that simple really.

I also believe SEGA used to offer Mega Drive games in Japan thru Dreamcast network. I am not sure if they actually set it up though.

8bit

Knows the Score
Doesn't the Nintendo demo disc have some stuff that's downloadable to the GBA? Warioworld too, IIRC.

Top Bottom