• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone here played SUPER MARIO 64 DS ??

I am really curious how it plays on the DS...

does it control well?

if mario 64 plays really well without the analog, i may end up pre-ordering the DS and Mario 64DS...

however, i just cant see it playing well with a d-pad, but i am sure someone here has played it ... so how was it? did they replicate it well? is it even better than the 64 version?!

do tell....

lexi

Banned
Videos seem to indicate it controls well, but I guess I won't know till I have it in my hands. I'm really eager to see how this thumb strap thing actually works. I know reviewers are getting DS's and Mario 64 DS in Late October, I'd hope they make a point in explaining how it works.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
You can also use the touchscreen as a sort of analogue controller for the game. Nintendo is planning on releasing an accesory that attaches a sort of stylus to the end of your thumb. Also I hear you can hold down a button to run faster so that does an efficient job of replacing the analogue.

You could have asked this in the official thread but it's ok I guess.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Though it was a while ago, I thought the short Mario 64x4 demo at E3 was a blast. I didn't really have any issues with the D-Pad, except of course that it takes him/them a little while to gain a head of steam and get to a full tilt run. It was all pretty natural, no problems.

Teddman

Funny, I felt the E3 tech demo of Mario 64x4 was very clumsily controlled, to the point where I didn't enjoy playing it for long. But that was just the multiplayer component and things may have changed since then.

My favorite NDS game at the show was Balloon trip, and Metroid Hunters was also fun. The control scheme didn't work as well for Mario 64, imo.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hah, I on the other hand hated the way Metroid DS controlled.

You and I have differed before on E3 impressions. (Sonic Heroes)

Teddman

I really liked Sonic Heroes at E3 2003. Mind you that only two of the better action stages were on display, only team Sonic, and I'm a big Sonic fan to begin with.

Metroid DS had some control issues, but not to the extent I thought that Mario DS did. I liked the way you could fire wherever you wanted to by tapping the stylus on the screen in Metroid; it was a novel use of the touchscreen and a fresh way of controlling an FPS. That I hung around the demo room and beat the competition like three times in a row probably added to my opinion of it. :D

Socreges

Banned
I hope I like SM64DS's controls. That would bode well for future 3D games. Seems like they could be awkward.

Shoryuken said:
A bit off topic, but I have a question for Wellington and Teddman. Which one of you enjoyed Sonic Heroes?
If you're getting at what I think you're getting at:

Teddman = Sega fan

Wellington = umm... Ratchet and Clank fan?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Socreges said:
I hope I like SM64DS's controls. That would bode well for future 3D games. Seems like they could be awkward.

Teddman = Sega fan

Still Sega fan as well, huge Sonic fan at that. He liked the E3 demo, I didn't.

Shoryuken

Socreges said:

Teddman = Sega fan

I was just seeing which one of the two fell in line with my thinking on the game (because they are discussing the controls of a platformer). Personally, I hated Sonic Heroes (although I enjoyed both Sonic Adventure 1 & 2). It's one of the two games that I've sold back this generation (along with Rogue Leader).

Socreges

Banned
Wellington said:
Still Sega fan as well, huge Sonic fan at that. He liked the E3 demo, I didn't.
Well, I meant "Stereotype Sega fan". You tend to be unpredictable. Hell, IIRC, you didn't even like PDO (which I loved).

Teddman

Well, I loved Mario 64 on N64, but don't know if the controls will allow the DS port to be as good. The analog stick and z-trigger were a big part of the gameplay's appeal. Loved those long jumps, backflips, and cartwheel flips.

Anyhow, both Wellington and I agree that Metal Arms rules and that's what counts. And I seem to recall that Wellington didn't care much for MP2: Echoes either... Didn't you see me playing the demo for like a half-hour and shake your head? Also, we both thought the E3 demo of MGS3 was boring.

So there!

MarkMacD

Teddman said:
Funny, I felt the E3 tech demo of Mario 64x4 was very clumsily controlled, to the point where I didn't enjoy playing it for long.

I agree...my thumb hurt from mashing the D-pad actually, and after only a few minutes.

At the DS conference the game felt better to me--not sure how it'll work out in the long run though (I wasn't playing any of the trickier platforming bits, mostly early levels and running around the castle). I prefered the touch screen analog method (I didn't get to try the thumb-nub), but it takes a little getting used to using the D pad as a button to jump and such.

The camera did seem better in the newer version as well. FYI for anyone who got annoyed with it at E3 (like me).....

Teddman

Socreges said:
MGS3 rocks! Shut up!
After the latest trailer, I'm convinced it will, but it's just not a game very condusive to E3 playing conditions. Five-minute long codec screens, long cutscenes, strategic slow stealth gameplay, etc.

jkooXL

I was pretty disappointed with it at E3, the buttons are just too small!! Why Nintendo?! Why?? A ton of dead space next to the 4 microscopic buttons, it just isn't logical. This will be the first new Nintendo system since the NES that I didn't buy on day one or have any intention of buying. Mario 64 with a tiny d-pad and 4 tiny buttons way too close to each other is a recipe for disaster in my book.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MarkMacD said:
I prefered the touch screen analog method (I didn't get to try the thumb-nub), but it takes a little getting used to using the D pad as a button to jump and such.

Wait, you an also use the other 4 face buttons for jumping and such, right ?

Espio

At E3 I thought it was appalling that Nintendo had allowed Mario 64 to be ported with a D-pad, the precise control was completely gone. I was trying to get a star on a small platform and fell off every time, I even fell off the bridge when I tried to go over it. The D-pad sucks compared to the analogue stick, and people will notice because Mario 64 is probably the greatest showcase for the analogue stick out of any game ever made.

Hah! I'm glad the NDS has no analog control. Let's hope that keeps a proliferation of 2d games and side scrollers; since they control so well with a D-pad. :p

Top Bottom