• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDLoader clone arrived : HDAdvance

B'z-chan

Banned
I quess you guys didnt know that this is all a result of FFXI and the linux kit. It was only a matter of time for more clones. I cant wait for FTPing that will be great so i can use my HD on my computer instead of a internal.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
it's just like the HDLoader except... Orange.

I wonder if Sony will request that all publishers put in a copy protection on all future games so the HDLoader won't work anymore on new games... You think it'll come to that?

MoxManiac

Copy protection will be irrelevant as long as we can use that HLDump or whatever the program is that lets you add games via your pc.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I bet Datel will have a similiar product by the end of the year called the Action Replay Drive or something.

Travado

The following games are not compatible with HDAdvance:
• Amplitude
• ATV Quad Power Racing 2
• Karaoke Revolution
• MLB 2005
• MX 2002: Featuring Ricky Carmichael
• Peter Pan: The Ledgend of Neverland
• Ratchet & Clank
• Samurai Warriors
• Soul Calibur 2
• Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
• Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
• Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

WTF? This utility has incompatibility with some games too, just like HDLoader. Jesus, when they will go launch something 100% compatible with all PlayStation 2 DVD games?

MoxManiac

I wonder what makes Samurai Warriors so incompatable? It oesn't work with HDLoader either. Maybe it streams a lot of stuff from the disc or something?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
All those games are incompatible with HDLoader as well. This one seems like a worse product really, as you have to swap two disc just to boot two types of games.

I wonder if Sony will request that all publishers put in a copy protection on all future games so the HDLoader won't work anymore on new games... You think it'll come to that?
They would be crazy not to. From what I can tell, most newer games already won't work, although it could be just by chance (Karaoke Revolution 2, for example won't work because Harmonix apparently uses some non-standard disk routine in all their games, Gradius 5 also doesn't work, though, and so doesn't Splinter Cell:pT) But HDLoader guys have already promissed a cheap upgrade for all the buyers of the version 1.0

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Travado said:
WTF? This utility has incompatibility with some games too, just like HDLoader. Jesus, when they will go launch something 100% compatible with all PlayStation 2 DVD games?

Whine whine, pirates are never satisfied, including me :p

And who the hell wants to wait until it's 100% compatible?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Marconelly said:
They would be crazy not to. From what I can tell, most newer games already won't work, although it could be just by chance (Karaoke Revolution 2, for example won't work because Harmonix apparently uses some non-standard disk routine in all their games) But HDLoader guys have already promissed a cheap upgrade for all the buyers of the version 1.0

Hmmm... how would they distribute that cheap upgrade? This whole HDLoader business feels like the PSX mods that allowed it to play copied games... makes me feel dirty :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Copy protection will be irrelevant as long as we can use that HLDump or whatever the program is that lets you add games via your pc.
Not true. There are already many games that are 'protected' against HDLoader - by accident, as they use non-standard disk routine, and HDLdump will not help you with them. Also, all the devs have to do, really, is to detect if HDLoader partition is present on the HDD and refuse to run the game. You can't do anything against that, except to hope someone will patch the game to make it run (so far, noone has bothered to do that for any of the existing incompatible games)

Hmmm... how would they distribute that cheap upgrade? This whole HDLoader business
They said, you should send them your existing disk and they will send you a new one.

feels like the PSX mods that allowed it to play copied games... makes me feel dirty
Well, it allows you to play imports and homebrew apps, and it loads stuff much faster than regular. Plus, your console stays intact.

Travado

fenekku-gitsune said:
Why are you so angry about 12 games not working out of 800 or so?

I am so angry because this list of incompatible games will increase even more dude, as well as happened with the HDLoader... It starts with 12 incompatible titles and finishes with other 300 incompatible titles.

Wario64 said:
Whine whine, pirates are never satisfied, including me :p

And who the hell wants to wait until it's 100% compatible?

I only want to be able to directly play my games on the HD, cutting loading times and preserving the useful life of my third PS2.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
True, but still, you know most people are abusing it. I don't think the HDLoader has really caught on yet (except for the hardcore crowd), so it's not a huge deal for Sony at the moment.

Arcticfox

Defensor said:
Link

"HDLoader will offer an upgrade service in the future whereby users can obtain a newer version by returning HDLoader together with a handling fee to us. We will not offer such service on counterfeit discs, be warned!"

hahaha, this HDAdvance is just a Hong Kong hacked bootleg of HDLoader with a full TOC so people with no mod can use a slidecard/fliptop without having to swap in a swapmagic disk...]

so yes people, comptibility will be 100% the same...

main.jpg

hd_advance_screen1.jpg

Burger

Marconelly said:
Also, all the devs have to do, really, is to detect if HDLoader partition is present on the HDD and refuse to run the game. You can't do anything against that, except to hope someone will patch the game to make it run (so far, noone has bothered to do that for any of the existing incompatible games)

I'm not so sure.

Both MS and Sony are pretty strict when it comes to things like that. If devs were free to write their own copy protection there would be faults here there and everywhere. There are like 15 different models of PS2, you simply cannot do what you describe.

Burger said:
I'm not so sure.

Both MS and Sony are pretty strict when it comes to things like that. If devs were free to write their own copy protection there would be faults here there and everywhere. There are like 15 different models of PS2, you simply cannot do what you describe.
some devs DO add their own copy protection checks :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If devs were free to write their own copy protection there would be faults here there and everywhere. There are like 15 different models of PS2, you simply cannot do what you describe.
Eh, all you really have to do, if you are a dev, is to find one game that doesn't work with HDL, see why it doesn't (the ones that don't work so far, don't work simply because they use a different disc access instruction than most games do), and use the same kind of loader for your game. If the old game's loader was good enough for Sony once, it will be good enough again.

I'm pro HDL as one can be, but I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking it will be a smooth ride forever.

neptunes

Marconelly said:
Eh, all you really have to do, if you are a dev, is to find one game that doesn't work with HDL, see why it doesn't (the ones that don't work so far, don't work simply because they use a different disc access instruction than most games do), and use the same kind of loader for your game. If the old game's loader was good enough for Sony once, it will be good enough again.

I'm pro HDL as one can be, but I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking it will be a smooth ride forever.

but why spend so much time and resources when only a little fraction of the userbase only knows about HDLoader.

Like mentioned above, I think it will really be a problem when this becomes mainstream/widespread.

EekTheKat

Heh G4TV Pulse actually did an entire segment on HDloader.

But then again I guess the extra 5 or so people that actually watch that channel across the nation would probably know about it already.

The Faceless Master said:
hahaha, this HDAdvance is just a Hong Kong hacked bootleg of HDLoader with a full TOC so people with no mod can use a slidecard/fliptop without having to swap in a swapmagic disk...]

LoL. I really like the text "upgrade" from HDLoader to HDAdvance ;)

Game List -> File List
Play -> Run
Install -> Convert
Remove -> Delete
Rename -> Relabel
Game Size -> File Size
HDD Free -> Free Space

DeEJaYMiND said:
LoL. I really like the text "upgrade" from HDLoader to HDAdvance ;)

Game List -> File List
Play -> Run
Install -> Convert
Remove -> Delete
Rename -> Relabel
Game Size -> File Size
HDD Free -> Free Space
yeah, they must have spent 10 minutes doing that

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So much about Sony not caring about this...

And sadly, so much about future updates...

Well, there's alwasy the possibility that someone will find it relevant enough to patch the games themselves to make them installable.

What is the situation about this kind of exploit on the Xbox? I know HDD game installation was available for the longest time on the Xbox - I can't believe devs haven't taken some measures against that by now?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
lol, there goes their "cheap upgrade" in the future :)

I guess Microsoft doesn't mind the HD install so much since only those with modd'ed and upgraded Xboxes really have the option to "install" games and that group is very small.

My god that is identical to HD Loader. It must be nice to live in China as a pirate. Everyone just expects it to happen there as it's just part of the norm.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, those pirats (and ISO hackers) are pretty much the only hope for the future of HDLoader, though. Then again, who knows if those guys actually have a clue how to improve HDLoader. They have pretty much only re-skinned it.

Damn that sucks... :( Well at least I got my HDloader already. And to those of you whining about compatibility, the list of non working games is quite small compared to the amount of working games. It was well worth my 25 bucks.

Announcement

HDLoader has been withdrawn from the market and will no longer be available for purchase.

I guess Sony turned up the heat. That and these clones started popping up.

Brannon

Too little, way too late. The basic code is out, and Hong Kong has their hands on it. That combination ensures the HDL method to survive.

Wonder how much this other HDLoader will be worth on eBay...

DJ Brannon said:
Too little, way too late. The basic code is out, and Hong Kong has their hands on it. That combination ensures the HDL method to survive.

Wonder how much this other HDLoader will be worth on eBay...
i bet they bring the hammer down on ebay too...

remember what sega did with dreamcast games?

wow, the HDAdvance is already making the rounds on the PS2 Scene... is it even on sale yet?

guess soon enough everyone will know for sure if the compatibility is the same...

Top Bottom