• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTV as a second monitor via HDMI, choppy video playback. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I've tried googling this around, and can't seem to find a fix, so I figured I'd ask GAF for help.

I have a 42" LG HDTV connected to my PC via HDMI, and I use it an extended desktop monitor. My GPU is an ATI Radeon HD5850. I use the TV for watching TV shows and movies, but I get choppy playback for some reason. When I watch on my primary display (which is connected via DVI), there's no issue.

The problem isn't constant, it pops up every once in a while and is most visible during camera pannings and so on. Sometimes the playback is fluid for a good 30 minutes, but then it can get super choppy again. It doesn't seem to be connected to video quality either, since really low resolution videos get the same kind of choppiness as full hd movies.

I use Media Player Classic with the CCCP codec pack, and everything is up to date, including my graphics card drivers.

So far I've tried changing the TV's refresh rate and making it the primary display, but I see no change.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or any ideas what I could try?

Thanks in advance.

netBuff

This is hard to diagnose without seeing the choppiness, but could possibly be related to motion interpolation: Did you already try to disable "TruMotion" on your TV?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
This is hard to diagnose without seeing the choppiness, but could possibly be related to motion interpolation: Did you already try to disable "TruMotion" on your TV?

It looks like frame skipping, don't really know how to explain it better :(

There doesn't seem to be a TruMotion feature on my TV, at least it's not under the "Picture"-settings.

commedieu

Banned

There doesn't seem to be a TruMotion feature on my TV, at least it's not under the "Picture"-settings.

Is it frame tearing?

tear.jpg

I had this issue over hdmi. Turns out VLC was the culprit. I used windows media to play, and shockingly, beyond fucking shockingly, it played without any screen tears. I think that was the trick...

Or setting it to be a clone (the desktop, not extending) One of the two worked.

Is it frame tearing?

tear.jpg

I had this issue over hdmi. Turns out VLC was the culprit. I used windows media to play, and shockingly, beyond fucking shockingly, it played without any screen tears. I think that was the trick...

VLC did the same to me as well and I also came to the same solution to just use Windows Media. Not sure why VLC has Vsync issues but there it is.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Is it frame tearing?

tear.jpg

No, it isn't frame tearing. The video playback just isnt smooth. Like there's frames missing.

Duplicating doesn't seem to do the trick. Also, my display is 16:10 so I'd be stuck with the wrong aspect ratio on my main monitor :/

I really wouldnt want to abandon MPC though. :( I might have to try it anyway.

netBuff

If there is any mention of refresh rate (120 Hz/240 Hz/480 Hz) in your TVs settings menu, try disabling that feature (or set it to 60 Hz) - but more likely, your model doesn't do motion interpolation (which is terrible anyway, you're not missing anything).

In that case, you could try to enable hardware video acceleration: I'm not familiar with the CCCP codec pack, but with the K-Lite Code Pack Standard (also includes Media Player Classic, uninstall all other codec packs, splitters, current version of MPC etc. before) you'll be asked during setup - just set both options to "MPC-HC internal DXVA decoder").

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I found out how to enable DXVA from my current codecs!

I'm going to watch a movie or something now to see if it helped. I'll report back in after.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

EDIT: Looks like that fixed it. Thanks a lot, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom