• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Fireballs, frostbolts, blizzard, flamestrike, pyroblast. Blizzard should honestly just award these decks 12 wins after the draft is complete to save everyones time and make arena more enjoyable. There blizzard, now hire me.

I think that's enough for today.

10706835_312269115625892_1788894402_n.jpg

The salt is strong tonight. I haven't really raged lately since I gave up on arena to focus on grinding out gold heroes and making gold for the next expansion.

Oh my god

I was just playing ranked as a Warlock, opponent was a Mage

They played an early shade of naxx, got the shade to 6/6 still stealthed, had the upper hand in the match........and then played a wailing soul which silenced the shade and an undertaker lol

They conceded right after

Wow, level 16 ranked

ViviOggi

Oh my god

I was just playing ranked as a Warlock, opponent was a Mage

They played an early shade of naxx, got the shade to 6/6 still stealthed, had the upper hand in the match........and then played a wailing soul which silenced the shade and an undertaker lol

They conceded right after

Wow, level 16 ranked
How does one think running Wailing Soul and Shade in the same deck is acceptable

My friends constantly get players like that around 15 idk how they keep finding them, for me meta decks always start at 18 at the latest

Is dark iron skulker seeing some play in rogue? I should probably cave in and buy a wing or two with cash but I won't.

Dragons as a tribe are somewhat restricted to Paladin. The cards themselves are viable in other decks, obviously, but Paladin has the only dragon with actual dragon synergy.

I am assuming this is what he means anyways.

Yeah, this.

Dragon Consort is the best card in the entire expansion in terms of dragon synergy. Since it's limited to Paladin it really makes that class the number one choice for dragon decks.

It's not that big of a deal but it does make trying to build dragon decks for other classes feel rather disappointing comparatively.

It hasn't even been 24 hours after the 4th wing has released. It is way too premature to say things like this stuff.

Especially since these cards haven't come out yet:
Blackwing Corruptor - perhaps the biggest reasons for faster/tempo based decks to run dragons. Druid, rogue, shaman, etc..
Dragonkin Sorceror - Priest anyone? PWS or light of the naaru.
Volcanic Drake - This is probably the biggest impact dragon card, even more than dragon consort imho. Dragon consort definitely gives a kind of easy way to envisage a dragon paladin deck. Imagine - free volcanic drake after brawl. After blade flurry board clears. After dr. boom bots wreck your opponent's board.

Even drakonid crusher has potential imho. It is a card that is frankly kind of okay just being a 6/6 and not activating. You've only missed out on 1 hp over boulderfist ogre, but you've had a dragon card to enable your blackwing corruptor the previous turn.

How does one think running Wailing Soul and Shade in the same deck is acceptable

My friends constantly get players like that around 15 idk how they keep finding them, for me meta decks always start at 18 at the latest

Massive brain fart, could have at least attacked with the shade before setting it back to 2/2 without stealth

I could not believe it lol

Dahbomb

Yea I played against a heavy control Rogue today with my Dragon Paladin who was using Dark Iron Dwarf. Whenever that Dark Iron got played it did work. I lost the game because the Rogue managed to hold a board with KT + Dr Balanced.

Ladder right now is like:

Face Hunter
Midrange Hunter
Mech Mage
Zoolock
Combo Druid
occasional Grim Patron deck

aka Gotta go fast. However in casual a ton of slower decks are seen like the aforementioned Rogue card.

Type2

Is dark iron skulker seeing some play in rogue? I should probably cave in and buy a wing or two with cash but I won't.

It hasn't even been 24 hours after the 4th wing has released. It is way too premature to say things like this stuff.

Blackwing Corruptor - perhaps the biggest reasons for faster/tempo based decks to run dragons. Druid, rogue, shaman, etc..
Volcanic Drake - This is probably the biggest impact dragon card, even more than dragon consort imho. Dragon consort definitely gives a kind of easy way to envisage a dragon paladin deck. Imagine - free volcanic drake after brawl. After blade flurry board clears. After dr. boom bots wreck your opponent's board.

Even drakonid crusher has potential imho. It is a card that is frankly kind of okay just being a 6/6 and not activating. You've only missed out on 1 hp over boulderfist ogre, but you've had a dragon card to enable your blackwing corruptor the previous turn.

Sorcerer is something I can not wait for in my dragon priest. The azure drakes in there are sitting weird atm.

Mulgrok

I don't know what it is about today, but EVERY match I lose the person takes as long as they can by killing any minions I have on the board, using whatever spells they can, then waiting for the rope and ending turn to waste time. It is not like they are wasting time the whole match, only when I am certain to lose. After 12 times out of 12 losses it is starting to get annoying. :p

Brakara

I don't know what it is about today, but EVERY match I lose the person takes as long as they can by killing any minions I have on the board, using whatever spells they can, then waiting for the rope and ending turn to waste time. It is not like they are wasting time the whole match, only when I am certain to lose. After 12 times out of 12 losses it is starting to get annoying. :p

If you are certain to lose, then just concede.

You are wasting their time by not conceding. They are showing their annoyance at you.

Acinixys

As someone who has not spent any money on this game beyond buying Naxx, this is the best F2P deck ive made, ever

I usually just mess around and hover at rank 16 or so, but this deck has pushed me all the way down to rank 10, which is a big achievement for me

bOoeNkj.png

It looks like a massive mess of different decks, but it works. People at these higher ranks dont at all expect shit like Windspeaker + Bloodlust combos

Won my last game by playing Sunwalker + hero power

He Swipes face to remove the Shield from Sunwalker

I play Windspeaker + Rockbiter to buff the Sun, and then Bloodlust

23 damge to the face and GG

Dragner

Silence people + concede fast. Your time laddering is precious, if they enjoy losing their time through pointless BM its their problem.

Face Hunter
Midrange Hunter
Mech Mage
Zoolock
Combo Druid
occasional Grim Patron deck

Last time I played ladder it was all zoo for me, but that was a week ago or so. I hope new wing bring more diversity. I expect a lot more shaman and Paladin.

Lumine

I wish. Literally all I've faced has been either face hunter or zoo warlock today. All 10 matches I did. Every single one of them. Ugh, I guess it's time to change my decks to anti aggro again. Or wait until next week.

I'll admit I was wrong about Chromaggus. I thought that it duplicated the card and then shuffled it back into your deck.

Putting it straight into your hand is indeed crazy.

Hasney

Gah, there's no way to go into tablet mode on an Android phone is there? Everything looks hilariously zoomed in on a Nexus 6.

EDIT: Found a .apk. All is good.

Playing versus a freeze mage. I got a Malygos from an unstable portal (yay) but he got a lot of value out of antonidus. He double fireballs my face after alexstrasza and I'm left with 3hp. Topdeck azure drake, topdeck kezan mystic to take his iceblock

"Your opponent left." hahaha

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'll admit I was wrong about Chromaggus. I thought that it duplicated the card and then shuffled it back into your deck.

Putting it straight into your hand is indeed crazy.

It can actually get out of hand/clog up your cards pretty fast. I might try taking lay of hands out for blessing of wisdom or something since if chromaggus survives a turn it's almost impossible to not overdraw with lay on hands + your starting draw.

Heropon

My Warlock is pretty terrible but as soon as that golden hunter saw an Imp Gang Boss played, he conceded. I know what card isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. :)

G.ZZZ

I dunno if it was intentional, but Lifecoach was streaming sex with his wife and got banned from twitch. I liked his stream rip in pepperoni

Rapstah

Even if they did, would u imagine lifecoach streaming again? Chat would all be P O R N C O A C H over and over again...

I actually meant Twitch chat when I said Twitch. I don't know what Twitch usually does. I know they (Twitch, not Twitch chat) unbanned a guy who accidentally masturbated on stream after he thought he had turned his stream on. So awkward.

embalm

I spent a good chunk of last night with a Shaman deck to try out Lavashock & Fireguard Destroyer. I included a bunch of Overload and the usual badass shaman cards like Hex and Unbound Elemental.

Unbound is good, it was waiting for a card like lava shock and more minions that have overload. There were multiple games that it spun out of control. Unbound hits the board on turn 3, if he survives and you can follow him up with a Fireguard Destroyer it can win the game on the spot. A 3/5 and 6/6 on the board turn 4 is crazy. If they spend removal on the 2/4 it's less likely they will have it for the Fireguard which is going to wreck their day.

Neptulon is a card I really like, but never realized just how much his 3 overload sucked until I could get rid of it. 10 mana is almost always enough to play all 4 murlocs and a 7/7 followed up by 4 cards of anything is pretty powerful.
Feral Spirit, Lightning Storm, and Lavashock is totally dirty. Storm and Feral were always a good swing combo in the late game, but being able to follow up those taunts with an 6+ drop can really cement you onto the board.

Earth Elemental is still on the fence. Unless you have lavashock in hand it's a really risky play before turn 7. After turn 7 I believe you can make a big enough play to counter the hole you're in if EE gets removed easily. I was playing Annoy-o-tron in the deck as an anti-aggro measure and I did get really lucky when someone played Black Knight to kill it the turn before I played the EE.

Really digging the deck, but I need to make some changes. I think I have to cut some big cards like Sylvanus to really make the early game more threatening or include some rockbiters or weapons.

That's why I said "AS A TRIBE". Obviously Volcanic Drake and Blackwing Corrupter are good, but the only cards with Dragon-synergy are Blackwing Technician, Twilight Whelp, Corrupter, and Consort. Twilight Whelp requires a Dragon in opening hand for it to be good, so it's not. The other three are all really strong cards, but one of them is Paladin only. So why not play the deck that inherently supports Dragon cards? On Dragonkin Sorcerer, I think this card is actually very mediocre in Priest as it exacerbates the problem they have with inconsistent draws along with other issues.

Will there be other Dragon decks? Sure. But at this point I can't see anything being stronger than Paladin as far as MIDRANGE decks go. Maybe we will see Control variants running Dragons or something. Or some sort of Shaman combo with Dragonkin Sorcerer and Windfury.

Avinexus

Even if they did, would u imagine lifecoach streaming again? Chat would all be P O R N C O A C H over and over again...

So. Locodoco still streams and I'd say streaming your fap session is significantly worse than having sex with your wife (as far as embarrassment/reputation/whatever is concerned).

I think Paladin Dragon Tribe synergy has more to do with eventually making each class link to a tribe in some way.

Warlock - Demon
Hunter - Beast
Shaman - Murloc
Rogue - Pirate
Paladin - Dragon
Mage - Mechs

I dunno if it was intentional, but Lifecoach was streaming sex with his wife and got banned from twitch. I liked his stream rip in pepperoni

That's not true. I was there at the actual stream, it didn't show any sex, just a few secs of him nude and his wife's.....bush. But it was an unintentional stream yeah, obviously and also, he was not banned.

But I think he's down to earth enough to shake it off (even if it was really quite...embarrassing), the mods in his channel are pretty ruthless, they'll ban the usual Twitch pranksters in no time if they start harassing.

embalm

I think an important part of any Tribe in Hearthstone is having cards that are of that tribe while also granting bonuses to that tribe. A good example of this is Mechwarper, the linchpin of all mech decks it seems; The Murlocs are really good about this as well, but you pay for that synergy with poor stats.

Right now Dragons have good value, but poor synergy. If you fail to trigger the synergy you will likely lose the game since you are limiting your deck to a specific tribe.

That's where Paladin comes in and gives you the linchpin. Dragon Consort belongs to the tribe. Has good stats as a stand alone card. It has card text that can't be negated. It has card text that increases the synergy of the tribe.

Other classes can try Dragon decks, but none of them have a card that offers so much value to the tribe as a whole.

I think Paladin Dragon Tribe synergy has more to do with eventually making each class link to a tribe in some way.

Warlock - Demon
Hunter - Beast
Shaman - Murloc
Rogue - Pirate
Paladin - Dragon
Mage - Mechs

Warlock - Demon / Murloc
Hunter - Beast
Shaman - Mech / Murloc
Rogue - Pirate / Mech
Paladin - Dragon
Priest - Dragon
Mage - Mech
Druid - Beasts
Warrior - Mech / Pirate

I really hope each class gets more than a single tribe and that tribes continue to reach across multiple classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom