• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Darkshire Councilman has to be the most overlooked card ever.

I never imagined it would be so insane.

It looked like an auto include to every zoo deck to me, but I didn't think it alone could basically make the deck tier one.

zoukka

I think the optimal Cthun decks don't need to run all the shitty Cthun buffing minions. Just enough to get value our of Cthun. People will soon realise a 2-mana 2/3 that does nothing is a really bad play.

bord

Neo Member
Legend with midrange shaman

PPNwzj4.png

And the deck list:

+1 earth shock at the top

C'thun decks were pretty easy to deal with.
Zoo, on the other hand, just gets out of control so quickly. It's probably the strongest deck atm, at least until we start seeing more refined decks.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think the optimal Cthun decks don't need to run all the shitty Cthun buffing minions. Just enough to get value our of Cthun. People will soon realise a 2-mana 2/3 that does nothing is a really bad play.

Main question is if you can reliably enough get to 10 attack before you want to play all those minions that only get buffed by a 10 attack C'thun.

Might be hard without the generic 2 mana 2-3 and 3 mana 3-4.

I can't see what else I might run. Flame juggler is the only thing I can think of atm, which is a bit better against aggro admittedly.

What I am doing is working though. There has been a single time I haven't had 10 attack by turn 7 for twins. And that time I played the sole twin, I won the game because I wasn't holding out for maximum value, but merely stalling to get an equality clear.

I run the 2x 2 drops, 1 twilight elder (w/e the 3/4 is called for 3cc), 2 disciples of cthun, and the 4/2 divine shield.

That's it. I don't run any of the big minions because I think those are the ones that seem bad compared to other minions of the same cost. And brann bronzebeard occasionally acts like an additional activator.

I have thought about running doomcaller though.

Main question is if you can reliably enough get to 10 attack before you want to play all those minions that only get buffed by a 10 attack C'thun.

Twilight elder is pretty meh. I had no issue cutting down to 1 of them and I only kept 1 because it removes a feral spirit and survives. Occassionally it buffs your cthun a ton too.

Disciple of c'thun and the 4 mana 4/2 divine shield are the two all stars. But I agree that you probably need the 2/3 to consistently hit 10 attack.

And the deck list:

Zoo, on the other hand, just gets out of control so quickly. It's probably the strongest deck atm, at least until we start seeing more refined decks.
I just completely annihilated a Zoolock with Patron Warrior. All of the 1 damage AoE effects are really helpful. On turn 7 I used Patron Warrior, Wild Pyromancer, 2x Inner Rage, and had 6 Patrons and cleared a 7-minion board on the other side. They don't play a lot of sticky stuff, just lots of little guys that are easy to clear. Except for Gang Boss Imp, of course.

Miletius

Brann + The dudes who hadokuen seem to be enough most of the time. Across all decks the only auto include for c'thun decks that require +10 attack seem to be Twin Emps.

I think C'thun decks, like all other decks, need some refining. I wouldn't write them off yet. Once the optimal ratio of buff C'thun cards to regular cards is discovered, then they'll be more viable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just completely annihilated a Zoolock with Patron Warrior. All of the 1 damage AoE effects are really helpful. On turn 7 I used Patron Warrior, Wild Pyromancer, 2x Inner Rage, and had 6 Patrons and cleared a 7-minion board on the other side. They don't play a lot of sticky stuff, just lots of little guys that are easy to clear. Except for Gang Boss Imp, of course.
This is why I'm wary about giving Zoo the crown at this point. Patron is never all that popular and even less so without deathbite/all these new cards, but it completely obliterates many of Zoo's board states.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, 100 games with my current Renouce Darkness deck. 50 wins, 50 losses. I think I'm ready for something else.

Wonder what I should do next. Maybe try out one of the C'Thun decks, though they all look pretty dull. Or get on the Aggro Shaman Hype train, but I was doing that before standard hit.

I do also have 10k dust and a good collection, maybe Death Rattle Rogue would be fun.

scarlet

Newcomer here, well not really it just I'm too lazy playing with my old iPad and phone.

The old gods bring me back to playing but I haven't gotten my 3 free packs. So annoying

edit: i got it

This is why I'm wary about giving Zoo the crown at this point. Patron is never all that popular and even less so without deathbite/all these new cards, but it completely obliterates many of Zoo's board states.
I went 3-0 with Patron Warrior tonight. Only one match involved Grim Patron, though.

Well Dahbomb, there's the missing part to the puzzle we were talking about! I know what Rogue deck I'm making...

oti

Banned
I want you to be honest with me: Is Priest bad?

I enjoy Priest the most but I'm bad at making decks plus people say he's bad. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe Arcane Explosion needs to come back.

Mage has that 2/2 for 3 that basically casts AE now, might as well use that instead.

I do think new Zoo gets dumped on by those type of effects though. They feel strong but in a more...honest way, I guess. It feels weird to say that with their disgusting new 3 drop. but atleast now board clears actually clear their damn board.

StayDead

Was on 11k dust (if I disenchanted all my extra cards) - 5k normally and I crafted a golden lay on hands last night as I didn't have a normal one.

No regrets.

Dragner

Control Paladin continues the carry, deck overperforms, winrate over 65%.

I want you to be honest with me: Is Priest bad?

I enjoy Priest the most but I'm bad at making decks plus people say he's bad. :(

Losing Velen,lightbomb, deathlord and Dark cultist hurts the deck that cant make value trades or clean big boards anymore. The deck has no comeback mechanics and no power bombs to push damage. Control priest is basically pre-naxx (bad) but dragon priest is still decent at least. Cthun priest is very bad dont play it over Dragon priest.

StayDead

Control Paladin continues the carry, deck overperforms, winrate over 65%.

Losing Velen,lightbomb, deathlord and Dark cultist hurts the deck that cant make value trades or clean big boards anymore. The deck has no comeback mechanics and no power bombs to push damage. Control priest is basically pre-naxx (bad) but dragon priest is still decent at least. Cthun priest is very bad dont play it over Dragon priest.

Have you got your decklist for control pally? I'm currently playing C'thundin.

Lumine

While that might be true, you might also be jumping to conclusions a little too fast there. I went from rank 7 to 5 on a winstreak with Priest (no Dragons, no C'thun). I usually have enough tools to deal with all the Zoolocks. That said, the games are super tense and you have to be pretty careful with your board clears.

Anyway, quick question; is there any point in getting both Wild and Standard rank to 5 for double ranked rewards? I'm guessing we're only getting the one reward for whichever reached highest, right?

bjaelke

While that might be true, you might also be jumping to conclusions a little too fast there. I went from rank 7 to 5 on a winstreak with Priest (no Dragons, no C'thun). I usually have enough tools to deal with all the Zoolocks. That said, the games are super tense and you have to be pretty careful with your board clears.

Anyway, quick question; is there any point in getting both Wild and Standard rank to 5 for double ranked rewards? I'm guessing we're only getting the one reward for whichever reached highest, right?

One reward based on highest rank so no.

JohnCYQ

Dragner

Have you got your decklist for control pally? I'm currently playing C'thundin.

2 forbidden healing
1 humility
2 doomsayer
2 wild pyro
1 Acidic Swamp Ooze
2 equality
2 aldor
2 consecration
2 truesilver
1 Keeper of Uldaman
2 corrupted healbot
2 twilight summoner
2 solemn sigil
1 sylvannas
1 Cairne
1 Eadric the pure
1 Ragnaros Lightlord
1 tyrion
1 lay on hands
1 Nzoth

The deck is wallet intensive so if you need to replace something change twilight summoners for harvest golems.

Tyrion and Nzoth are the only must have legendaries but the others are pretty good if you have them.

Szadek

Yeah, priest are pertty bad right now.
They don't have very good tools to deal with shaman and warlock, but get also outvalued by other control decks.

JohnCYQ

No Thing from Below?

It feels rather dead a lot of the times.

Against aggro, if you don't draw into totem golem or tuskar, you'll only get to play it on 6 because you won't have the time to just hero-power while contesting for the board. If you mulligan into 1-2 TfB you've pretty much lost the game already.

Against control, you'll get some time to spam hero-power but a 5/5 taunt isn't really doing much in that scenario. At least with nerubian prophet I don't feel bad getting him in my starting hands, since I can just play on curve with my other minions while waiting for the cost reduction each turn.

IDK, maybe a 1-off could work.

Footos22

And the deck list:

Just won 6 out of 6 with this, never used shaman before in the whole 6 months ive been playing lol

Edit: 7 now

Yours sincerely

deckthief

Top Bottom