• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Game design is a very iterative process. You usually start with really insane ideas just to see where they go before you start refining into the ideas that are actually used. It's like when they had that article about Blackwing Technician when it started out as a Druid card.
429px-Blackwing_Technician_alpha.png

It is really cool to see how a card like Yogg-Saron came into what it is today though. It also shows just how much testing is done too. They probably go over hundreds of different card iterations.

Zemm

I don't know what to feel about them. Should I feel horrified that Blizzard even thinks about stuff like that or be glad they had the courtesy to not print cards like that?

well the current yogg is still a stupid as fuck card so whatever really, good to get an insight into how bad they are at designing and balancing though.

Dahbomb

well the current yogg is still a stupid as fuck card so whatever really, good to get an insight into how bad they are at designing and balancing though.
The other Yogg cards basically can result in a game lost at turn 2-4.

Current Yogg if it's going to do anything it won't do it earlier than turn 10 in most cases. And even then it can backfire dramatically as we have seen numerous times. Current Yogg is mostly a Yogg card where as those other Yogg could break the game as you could build decks around them and finish games way too early.

So I vastly prefer the current version which is mostly a joke card compared to the other versions where people can build aggressive/OTK combos decks that finish game super quick.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not that bothered by Yogg. It's a fun card. Cards in Hearthstone tend to be one of: competitive, fun, useless. Better fun than useless.

Y'Shaarj though, I'd like to see what designs they rejected because the current incarnation is just barf.

Mulgrok

first good arena draft of WOG

equality
2 minibot
2 rallying blade
2 aldor
2 truesilver
2 uldaman
tirion

I anticipate 1-3

EDIT:
I'm not that bothered by Yogg. It's a fun card. Cards in Hearthstone tend to be one of: competitive, fun, useless. Better fun than useless.

Y'Shaarj though, I'd like to see what designs they rejected because the current incarnation is just barf.

y'shaarj looks fine to me. It won't win a game when losing by a lot, but fine otherwise.

Yeah I don't see the problem with Yogg, funnily enough I don't think I've faced him once, the decks I've played have been too fast for them to have the chance to. Y'Shaarj is both boring and bad, seemed like they ran out of ideas.
Woah, Kibler actual salty. It's because of Freeze Mage though so it is understandable.

It's one of the only things that'll get him salty, he got killed from 30 health before in a game that he played perfectly, that kind of stuff is just infuriating. I hope all the top players talk with Blizzard about these nonsense decks that are keeping every other deck down. Especially non interactive decks.

manhack

Getting killed from 30 while they have iceblock to block lethal is so fun and interactive

Yeah freeze mage is dumb. I wish there was a way to make it a little less stupid, but still viable.

That said, I've won against most of the freeze mages I've played against since WOG game out.

The other Yogg cards basically can result in a game lost at turn 2-4.

Current Yogg if it's going to do anything it won't do it earlier than turn 10 in most cases. And even then it can backfire dramatically as we have seen numerous times. Current Yogg is mostly a Yogg card where as those other Yogg could break the game as you could build decks around them and finish games way too early.

So I vastly prefer the current version which is mostly a joke card compared to the other versions where people can build aggressive/OTK combos decks that finish game super quick.

Zoo with that 4 mana Yogg would be disgusting. You could play turn 1 Juggler, Flame Imp, and Voidwalker. That's pretty much game over right there. Turn 1 Darkshire Councilman and any 1 drop would be pretty OP, too.

Looking to fill a couple gaps in my collection versus newer stuff, any suggestions? I have 4200 dust left and am considering the following:

Archmage Antonidas
The Black Knight
Justicar Trueheart

Fandral Staghelm
Xaril, Poisoned Mind

I play most classes regularly and don't ladder all too seriously, but still like to win games!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
y'shaarj looks fine to me. It won't win a game when losing by a lot, but fine otherwise.

It doesn't do anything. The heart of the problem is, by the time you can play it you've already played most of your other minions. Probably the good ones as well. Not to mention most of your good minions probably have battlecry. It has the same issue as Varian and Confessor. Between whiffing, being obscenely expensive, and not doing much until 1-2 turns later, it's just not worthwhile.

I mean maybe there's a hidden tech out there that makes Y'shaarj good but I think it's telling more people have played the honorable sudoku card Yogg over Y'shaarj.

first good arena draft of WOG

equality
2 minibot
2 rallying blade
2 aldor
2 truesilver
2 uldaman
tirion

I anticipate 1-3

EDIT:

I never get weapons anymore in my pali drafts. I've done 4 in the last 2 days and never got a decent weapon to choose from.

Looking to fill a couple gaps in my collection versus newer stuff, any suggestions? I have 4200 dust left and am considering the following:

Archmage Antonidas
The Black Knight
Justicar Trueheart

Fandral Staghelm
Xaril, Poisoned Mind

I play most classes regularly and don't ladder all too seriously, but still like to win games!

I know you said "most classes", but what do you play most? Do you like to play control or aggro?

Owzers

what's a good one drop for a renothunlock? I'm not seeing one....crazed villager? Argent squire? Flame imp to counter trogg might be the best i guess.

if i craft The Black Knight we can be certain C'thun decks die off and no one runs the twin emperor anymore to spite me.

Control. I'd say the classes I play most are Warlock, Warrior, Druid, Rogue and Shaman.

In that case, definitely 100% Justicar. She's incredibly valuable in control warrior, helping to outlast your opponent.

I've heard good things about Fandral Staghelm, but I don't play enough Druid to say. I opened Xaril though, so I'll be tinkering around with that this weekend.

The Black Knight is a niche tech card that might become useful depending on how the meta stabilizes.

Antonidas is an incredibly valuable card, and a must-have staple in certain popular mage decks (tempo, freeze here and there).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, that looks great, I never thought about using Illidan in Bubble Paladin deck. I should see if I can stuff him in.

Zoggy

malkorok is my favorite legendary tbh

never got a cursed blade yet, but getting gladiators longbow or gorehowl is pretty good brehs

also rogue players, sapping cthun is NOT a good idea

In that case, definitely 100% Justicar. She's incredibly valuable in control warrior, helping to outlast your opponent.

I've heard good things about Fandral Staghelm, but I don't play enough Druid to say. I opened Xaril though, so I'll be tinkering around with that this weekend.

The Black Knight is a niche tech card that might become useful depending on how the meta stabilizes.

Antonidas is an incredibly valuable card, and a must-have staple in certain popular mage decks (tempo, freeze here and there).

Thanks a lot - I grabbed Justicar and I'll sleep on the choice for others for now :)

Heropon

Finally, after a year of playing I have defeated the 10 wins wall in Arena and I finally can say that I got the Lightforge Key!

The deck:

+ Psych-o-Tron, Silver Hand Knight, Argent Commander, Nerubian Prophet, Piloted Sky Golem and Stormwind Champion.

The rewards were 415 gold, a classic pack and the mandatory Old Gods pack.

I'm so happy and it's funny that the class had to be Shaman. I've always had a soft spot for it and now I know why. :)

Ashodin

The Light and Darkbanes are actually REALLY good to coin out on Turn 2. Their 4 toughness makes the opponent take pause, and enchanting them with Divine Strength or something makes it ezpz to get their ability off.

Top Bottom