• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Magnus

So. Is anyone playing Wild?

lol

I expected I would, but I'm not at all. It's refreshing to have such a different game in Standard.

Wild will really be something bizarre in a year or two with all the additional sets.

lol

I expected I would, but I'm not at all. It's refreshing to have such a different game in Standard.

Wild will really be something bizarre in a year or two with all the additional sets.

I feel like I'll try it out in the near future, but in the meantime I'm too busy enjoying the lack of Dr. Boom, shielded minibot, muster for battle, imp-losion, piloted shredder, etc.

Levi

Banned
Netdecking without understanding the deck you're piloting is a big mistake. I just played vs a zoo player using the most common ladder list right now against my Midrange/Evolve Shaman... and he played a strict board control game, suiciding all his tiny little minions into my high health minions over and over. He would have easily won if he went face but instead I was able to stabilize, take the board and easily roll over him after he was down to playing whatever two cards he drew per turn.

Owzers

Netdecking without understanding the deck you're piloting is a big mistake. I just played vs a zoo player using the most common ladder list right now against my Midrange/Evolve Shaman... and he played a strict board control game, suiciding all his tiny little minions into my high health minions over and over. He would have easily won if he went face but instead I was able to stabilize, take the board and easily roll over him after he was down to playing whatever two cards he drew per turn.

You say this now and then you lightning storm all his low health minions and laugh and laugh.

Celegus

lol

Not a chance. Those cards are all dead to me.

daemissary

lol

I'm sure I'll go back to wild in the future but standard is so fresh and new that I haven't played wild yet.

Give it a month when all of the standard decks are fully optimized and everyone is playing brainless face decks again and I'm sure I'll fiddle around in Wild.

I like how board clears went from being shit because of all the sticky minions to being shit because of all the overstatted minions lol.

Blizzard just does not want board clears to ever be good I guess.

Wow look at that... a class gets some GOOD healing for once and they can suddenly start playing a good control game and not get rushed down by turn 6.
Now imagine if Priests got some!

Maybe he's learning the deck. I know that every turn Shadowform is in my hand I have to ask myself: "Is it this turn, or do I need my healing longer?" Especially if he's new, he has to learn when to go face or play the board through experimentation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

lol

Not right now, I think I'll wait till I'm sick of standard to give wild a crack. Right now Wild is just GvG and Naxx, hopefully in a few months it will be a nice blend of GvG + WotOG + Naxx.

Is there really a meta?

C'Thun, C'Thun, C'Thun!

- Disciple of C'Thun on the current standard meta

?

How the hell else are you supposed to figure out how to play a deck? You need practice.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now imagine if Priests got some!

This is a major problem with the "light/shadow" theme they have going on. So long as Soul Priest exists, they can never print giant heals for the class synonymous with healing. Instead, Paladin, the offense/tank/heal hybrid, and Warrior, the offense/tank hybrid, are far better at keeping themselves alive in terms of raw health.

Apathy

This is a major problem with the "light/shadow" theme they have going on. So long as Soul Priest exists, they can never print giant heals for the class synonymous with healing. Instead, Paladin, the offense/tank/heal hybrid, and Warrior, the dps/attack hybrid, are far better at keeping themselves alive in terms of raw health.

lol forbidden healing in priest with shadowpriest would be crazy

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This is a major problem with the "light/shadow" theme they have going on. So long as Soul Priest exists, they can never print giant heals for the class synonymous with healing. Instead, Paladin, the offense/tank/heal hybrid, and Warrior, the dps/attack hybrid, are far better at keeping themselves alive in terms of raw health.

I don't know, they could just make the cards not able to target the enemy.

Really, they need to give Priest a way to raise their max HP, or gain armor. A Legendary that uncapps your HP would be a great boon (Or more realistically, doubles it, unless they want to chage Reno/Tree of Life's card text)

Zemm

They can just give any good priest heals they make the "friendly character" tag, it's so bad that priests aren't even the best healers in the game, total design fail.

Magnus

4-1 so far with a pretty middling Paladin deck in Arena. It has a Sword of Justice, one Murloc Knight, and three Consecrates, but not much else. My first arena in a year. I've gotten way better at the game by the looks of it.

Levi

Banned
You say this now and then you lightning storm all his low health minions and laugh and laugh.

Well, he has no way to win if he trades every turn, and even if I clear his board he can just reload and crush me.

Maybe he's learning the deck. I know that every turn Shadowform is in my hand I have to ask myself: "Is it this turn, or do I need my healing longer?" Especially if he's new, he has to learn when to go face or play the board through experimentation.

?
How the hell else are you supposed to figure out how to play a deck? You need practice.

Yeah, I guess I was a bit harsh. I certainly understand that it takes time to learn a deck, but he was playing an aggro deck as if it was a control deck and it caught me off guard. He threw the game, as I never drew any answers for his board, but he kept clearing his own board every turn. I actually started ignoring his board and going face since he was so committed to board control, and it's what won me the game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Has Brode even said why Doomhammer wasn't nerfed?

Because seriously, there's no logical reason why it shouldn't have been.

Blizzard didn't say it, but it isn't really a 2x auto-include in every Shaman deck or anything. The card is not an obstacle to deck variety in Shaman. It doesn't really hurt their design space at all. Honestly burst has been a core part of Shaman's identity for a long time because of the windfury mechanic. If people didn't complain about Doomhammer they'd start complaining about Al'Akir instead.

This is a major problem with the "light/shadow" theme they have going on. So long as Soul Priest exists, they can never print giant heals for the class synonymous with healing. Instead, Paladin, the offense/tank/heal hybrid, and Warrior, the offense/tank hybrid, are far better at keeping themselves alive in terms of raw health.

Yeah you can't give Priests Forbidden Healing because they will just do 18 damage in a single turn with Shadow's Embrace.
Maybe Auchenai Priest needs a redesign like Master of Disguise.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard didn't say it, but it isn't really a 2x auto-include in every Shaman deck or anything. The card is not an obstacle to deck variety in Shaman. It doesn't really hurt their design space at all. Honestly burst has been a core part of Shaman's identity for a long time because of the windfury mechanic. If people didn't complain about Doomhammer they'd start complaining about Al'Akir instead.

Yeah, the only thing it limits is attack buffs that target the hero/weapon. And Blizard can simply just not give any more to Shaman.

doomhammer should apply 1 overload every time you attack with it
4Head.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AL Akir isn't in the same stratosphere as Doomhammer.

Doomhammer and Al'Akir were both very popular burst finishers at one time. Doomhammer has a bigger target on its head these days only because Shaman is so much faster now than it used to be. The core "issue" here is Tunnel Trogg. Pre-LOE a face Shaman deck wasn't really viable at a competitive level.

Apathy

kibler is playing that hogger priest. who said this was good, looks so bad and kibler has been doing terrible with it.

lol only reason he won was cause his opponent decided to go face instead of killing hogger which he could have done with 1 minion

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think Doomhammer is fine. It has overload and is really only insane if they save BOTH Rock biters to use with it. Otherwise 10 Dmg burst is equivalent to a Pyroblast but takes 2 cards and is semi-prevented by taunt.

Its a really powerful combo, but not even close to broken (yet). The midrange and aggro Shaman decks are just really powerful (thanks 7/7, lolbalance), while lots of the other archetypes are not dialed in the same way atm.

Crosseyes

Banned
Maybe Auchenai Priest needs a redesign like Master of Disguise.
Creating heals that only target friendly characters would get around it. Leave smaller bursts available for shadows but big ones for friendlies.

Ironically I'm thinking why Rag, lightlord wasn't Priest. That design suits them just as well if not better.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think Doomhammer is fine. It has overload and is really only insane if they save BOTH Rock biters to use with it. Otherwise 10 Dmg burst is equivalent to a Pyroblast but takes 2 cards and is semi-prevented by taunt.

Its a really powerful combo, but not even close to broken (yet). The midrange and aggro Shaman decks are just really powerful (thanks 7/7, lolbalance), while lots of the other archetypes are not dialed in the same way atm.

The problem with the overload mechanic is it was too UP and totally fucked Shaman. Then they added in those unlock mana cards which can make Shaman OP.

Now you can just drop that minion that unlocks your crystals and be like yolo who cares about overload.

I still think Shaman needs a rework to be really balanced. Class is either best class or worse class it seems.

Can confirm that N'Zoth Control Paladin is bonkers good. My Ragnaros, Lightlord also single-handedly won me a game against a priest that went to fatigue. Really fun deck to play too.

Top Bottom