• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

sodstall

Ok, finally stopped after 4 hours. Super fun. I was jumping in and out of parties that I had on PSN. Probably played with a lot of you guys but don’t know who’s who. VERY ADDICTIVE.

Can someone explain how missions work on the planets. At some point the game was telling I was abandoning a current mission and that got me confused.
Very similar to HD1.

If you abandon a planet after starting/completing its initial(first) mission, you are abandoning that planets set of missions required to liberate that planet. I believe it gets addressed as a planets "operation(s)". Leave mid operation and that planet and its variation of missions disappear and a new planet and new missions get generated & put back on the map for you.

DelireMan7

7 hours of coop with a friend.

Amazing experience. It felt like REmake 2 compare to the OG Resident Evil 2.

A complete change of visual and gameplay but stay faithful to the original.
Gunplay is very good and (I never thought I would say that one day) but haptic feedback on PS5 are amazing. Very immersive. First game where it has a real impact for me.

Challenge is definitely there.

Not a huge fan of the progression system and how to acquire new stratagem and weapons (mission gives money and you buy what you want). Previous system (reward from planet) was better in my opinion. If you wanted some stratagem, you had to do specific planets. It was forcing you to do some high level missions to get some nice reward.

Few minors issues here and there (Minimap navigation I am looking at you) but overall a very positive first day.

Quite different from the first game but at the same time very faithful to it.

Last edited:
Good news is that I played the tutorial and one mission and I really really like the tone. Gameplay seems solid too. Bad news is that matchmaking is as busted as everyone was saying.

TrebleShot

Amazing game, just had a few hours with a friend and a couple of people from here.

PC - PS5 few disconnects but over all the game play and co op is probably the best ive played. Few patches and it will be incredible.

Those little co op bits, pure bliss.

Happy with the performance on PC

5120 super ultra wide resolution (comparable to 4K) with every setting maxed and at native getting like 50-60 fps

7800x 3d

Coconutt

On PC after the recent update matchmaking seems to be working, playing in a group of 4 who knows what they are doing is darn fun. For democracy!

This is the most fun I’ve had in gaming in years. Matchmaking is still bonked on ps5 for the most part from my experience.

Apparently playing with friends works just fine though.

Add if you want to play. Can’t find my mic though.

PSN - Mayor_McCheeze

Best multiplayer game I have played since Apex Legends in 2019. To be fair, that is not saying much. Sucks that matchmaking is fucked. Really looking forward to playing this on a regular basis. So much content can be added to make it better too. I have really high hopes this game has legs

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Got a chance to play a little bit and so far its pretty enjoyable.

I like the living world aspect in that areas on the galactic map will expand, shrink, and focus on certain locations offering some variety in missions and worlds. Not a huge fan of the grind that is getting the "paid" battlepass. Wouldn't be so bad if you were guaranteed the 1000 credits for completing the free one. Doesn't seem like missions pay out in credits outside of very rare circumstances.

Weapons feel good, I like the use of strategems, and the interactivity with the bugs and being able to shoot out legs on some of them is neat. Will play some more over the weekend.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
It’s trash solo. Almost impossible to play.
I have completed a few challenging missions solo with only a couple deaths due to poor placement. Only been playing for about 2? 3? hours. Definitely not impossible. Just requires you to play more strategically, use your stratagems well, and upgrade your stuff. I can see soloing higher level difficulties once I unlock some better weapons and toys.

Similar to EDF in that regard. You can absolutely solo the hardest difficulties in that game, but you need to grind to be able to do so. Don't expect to take on the harder challenges with mid tier equipment or starting weaponry.

[Sigma]

Fun times! Just like HD1 in a lot of ways. You can sneak your way solo thru stuff. Also played with my bro for the first time in years, he loves the game. That's a change from COD lol.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Put in around 4 hours tonight.

Game is fun as hell! Playing on PS5

- Lots Strategem to unlock and work towards
- Good variety of locations and objectives
- Optional objectives that can even reward you with premium currency
- Awesome variety of weapons to use
- Armor and gear has variety and looks awesome
- The theme is hilarious from the dialogue to the little descriptions of things in the world
- Good haptics and adaptive triggers

Played with friends so didn't try matchmaking. Although there is a friends issue where they won't show online correctly.

Had one crash so far and one disconnect in which I was able to rejoin.

Visually isn't amazing, but has a good style. Best to turn off the terrible motion blur and increase the sharpness as you see fit. Performance mode seems to be very smooth.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Is this game really using that trash FSR? It's pretty bad regardless of what they're using. I would play at 4k/30 but my PS5 is hooked up to my OLED and you know 30fps on LG oled is torture. Anyways enough complaining. I bumped the sensitivity up to 1, I like that for the most part.

But yeah im good on multiplayer shooters this year. With The Finals and now Helldivers 2. I've slowed down on The Finals some but that's to be expected given I play other games. These two are definitely going to be my top 2 games played this year though. Any shooter after these that I gravitate towards is just extra gravy at this point. Damn im really playing multiplayer shooters again and they're gaas lol. Not advocating for gaas, I just happen to love these two particular games lol.

Last edited:

Varteras

Watching Moistcr1tikal play it. Looks like a lot of fun and chaos. The boys convinced me to pick it up. I wasn't going to but $40 to have fun blowing up bugs and bots with 3 friends is too good to pass up while I wait for FF7.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is there a commo-rose like system like Battlefield has so you can communicate without needing to use a mic?
Yes, it has several ways to mark and communicate including a selection wheel and chat box (there's even text to speech).

On top of this, you can mark on the map, 3D mark where you are aiming, and you can also mark things by looking at them such as enemies, ammo, etc.

Last edited:
Is there a commo-rose like system like Battlefield has so you can communicate without needing to use a mic?
There is a basic one, yes.
On PS5 it's the same button as in BF (R1).
Press once for Ping (if on enemy it will be red and there will be a voiceover) and if you hold the button there is a few options like I need ammo, need help, follow(?), sorry I forgot, just played for 1-2 hours and got disconnected and my buddy and I didn't use it a whole lot because we talked via Partychat.

It's a fun game for sure, can't wait to play more.

Top Bottom