• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help: Computer keeps locking up when I browse the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

Banned
I've done virtually everything to help solve the problem, but it persists:

1. Virus Scan: check
2. Memory Test: check
3. Scandisk: check

When I'm not on the Internet, everything works fine. But as soon as I start browsing the web, especially those java-based sites (e.g., yahoo games), my computer freezes and I have to perform a hard boot just to get my PC to respond.

Any tips?

zarkand

Do you use bit torrent and have zone alarm on your computer? I had a problem like that, and it was because zone alarm and bit torrent had issues. Uninstalling zone alarm works.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Reminds me of IE and Windows 95 a long time ago...

Are you using IE? If so, try using Mozilla Firefox. You'll then need install flash to play those yahoo games of course.

yoshifumi

Banned
java based things tend to lock my computer up for a little while, but it usually works fine again after a little while.

Death

Banned
zarkand said:
Do you use bit torrent and have zone alarm on your computer? I had a problem like that, and it was because zone alarm and bit torrent had issues. Uninstalling zone alarm works.

No, but I have Norton Security on and enabled. I don't know if I want to uninstall it, but if that's what it'll take...

teh_pwn said:
Are you using IE? If so, try using Mozilla Firefox. You'll then need install flash to play those yahoo games of course.

I'm using Windows 98. And yeah, I have Firefox and IE. I've been using IE mostly, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom