• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide strategery game to buy: Valkyria Chronicles or Shadow Tactics

Valkyria-chronicles.jpg

Vs

Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun.jpg

I need help deciding which game to buy for PS4. It basically comes down to Valkyria Chronicles Remastered or Shadow Tactics.

I loved playing Commandos and I also really liked what I saw in VC. Also I'm a sucker for punishing, hard games like Darkest Dungeon and Soulsborne. VC has a good story from what I hear so it has a plus point over Shadow Tactics. But convince me which is better.

Shadow Tactics has a surprisingly decent story as well, and excellent Japanese voice acting.

Shadow Tactics is a absolute gem of a game, so I’d nominate that. It’s the best Commandos game in a decade

I love both of those games, VC being one of my favourite games of all time, but if you like punishingly hard games & Commandos you're better off with Shadow Tactics. It pretty much uses the Commandos formula 1:1, it has a decent story and the game is challenging from start to end.

I'd recommend Shadow Tactics, but if you want to play the better game overall out of the two then definitely it's VC. It has a better story, characters, original gameplay, more content, it's also difficult in its own right and there just isn't any other game out there like it.

Yawnny

If you're in the mood for a game that looks as if you're playing an Anime: Valkyrie Chronicles.

Wonderful art direction. Refreshing 3rd person turn based game (think: Hogs of War on the PSX)

Shadow Tactics has much better gameplay if you're primarily looking for strategy. VC can be cheesed very easily (and the game's grading system encourages it.)

Eridani

I loved playing Commandos and I also really liked what I saw in VC. Also I'm a sucker for punishing, hard games like Darkest Dungeon and Soulsborne. VC has a good story from what I hear so it has a plus point over Shadow Tactics. But convince me which is better.

Sounds like you want Shadow Tactics. Hard and punishing isn't really how I'd describe VC at all.

Tagyhag

I'd say Shadow Tactics, I started it a week ago and as a Commandos fan it's so damn good. No idea how well it is with a controller though.

VC is awesome as well, but it has its flaws and since it's cheaper you can always buy it another time.

Shadow Tactics has much better gameplay if you're primarily looking for strategy. VC can be cheesed very easily (and the game's grading system encourages it.)

Ugh, my biggest issue with the game. Didn't like cheesing the system but it was too beneficial not to. The Gallian Crossfire mod fixed it, but on PS4 you're SOL.

Adryuu

Valkyria Chronicles was on digital sale not long ago (EU), I got it for like 7-8 eur. The strategy in that game involves not only positioning, taking cover and managing ammo but also extends to which units to place next to others (each unit has a name and is unique -I think most are subject to permadeath too-, and has opinions on other people) or which unit class to level up and choosing equipment. Kind of a bit rpg.

So it's not very Commandos and it's less xcom than what I thought it would be. It also has a lot of scenes, many optional, depicting character interaction outside of the main story. And it's very much like an anime.

It's also a fairly long game and could be repetitive in its gameplay (but I'm enjoying it quite a bit).

You may want to get Shadow Tactics for now, but having a clear idea about Valkyria Chronicles may lead you to try something different, though perhaps it will be on sale again soon.

Snoopycat

Banned
Haven't played the othr but Shadow Tactics is one of my favourite games this year. It's deep, engaging and a lot of fun.

Reani

if you really like Commandos then its Shadow Tactics.

Overall i enjoyed Valkyria more though, but its a different type of game

Valkyria Chronicles is a masterpiece, but if you're looking for a challenging game that recalls the old Commandos games, Shadow Tactics is great.

Top Bottom