• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me find a (90's) song based on vague descriptions...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
- If forced to guess, song was released in 1999. Could be off +/- 3 years.
- I swore it was the The Counting Crows. Tried to find it. Don't think it is anymore. A band very similar to them?
- Popular song played on radio stations alongside Alanis Morsette, The Tragically Hip, John Mayer etc...
- Reminds me of a Billy Joel song. Almost sounds like The Piano Man.
- It's kind of a sad song that everybody likes. One of those "I don't like this band but this song is great" types.

That's all I got. Now with our powers combined, let's find the name of the song I was thinking of...

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was thinking maybe Wonderwall by Oasis, but you said it sounds like a Billy Joel song. So is the piano the dominate instrument in the song?

It's definitely a warm sounding song and almost certainly features the piano heavily. But it could be acoustic guitar...both?

Drake

It's definitely a warm sounding song and almost certainly features the piano heavily. But it could be acoustic guitar...both?
Could maybe a Goo Goo Dolls song. Dizzy up the Girl came out in '98. Could be off that album. Big hits include, Dizzy, Slide, Broadway, Black Balloon and Iris. If the above post is close maybe it was Slide?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Most of these suggestions are just off target. The song might start off slower / sadder than what's been suggested so far.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Could maybe a Goo Goo Dolls song. Dizzy up the Girl came out in '98. Could be off that album. Big hits include, Dizzy, Slide, Broadway, Black Balloon and Iris. If the above post is close maybe it was Slide?

It's definitely not the Goos. I'm from Buffalo so we heard them all the time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think the song exists anymore. Ya'll have given great suggestions. The song my brain is thinking of was super popular so the fact that none of you have come up with it means I'm likely making a mistake somewhere. Memory is tricky. If I think of it down the road, I'll bump this thread and we can all laugh together.

I have fabricated my own reality and I have been judged. I'm sorry everyone.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I don't think the song exists anymore. Ya'll have given great suggestions. The song my brain is thinking of was super popular so the fact that none of you have come up with it means I'm likely making a mistake somewhere. Memory is tricky.

Do you have the Shazam app?

Sing the song into it and see what happens lol

HAYA8U5A

I thought maybe going through the Billboard Top 100 for 1999 might help but don't think it did. Plus it depressed me seeing that is where boy bands and stuff really started taking over :messenger_winking_tongue:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Its A Trap GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think the song exists anymore. Ya'll have given great suggestions. The song my brain is thinking of was super popular so the fact that none of you have come up with it means I'm likely making a mistake somewhere. Memory is tricky. If I think of it down the road, I'll bump this thread and we can all laugh together.

Maybe AI can build you a new one. We have the technology.

RAÏSanÏa

year, melancholy, popular, maybe tells a story about different characters like Piano Man, not overly liked or hated artist...first thought...

🎼 We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change 🎸

Trilobit

I too have a song disappeared to time. It's weird because it's so insanely good, but I only had it on some old burnt CD which I've since lost. Never heard it outside of it.

Some day I'll find it though.

Top Bottom