• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me out, Home Theater GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menelaus

Banned
So even after having a decent 5.1 system forever, I still have a relatively small understanding of what to look for to get some bang for my buck.

First, here's what I have:

Running the speakers/sub from this Onkyo HTIB in a 5.1 config.
HT-SR800B_front.jpg

Using an Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver that I just got and am still working through understanding.
TX-SR706-B-F.jpg

My problem is I'm about to move to a house that has a less than optimal setup for 5.1 in the living room (7.1 is pretty much out of the question), so I'm thinking about upgrading my front 3 speakers. I love my subwoofer and have 0 complaints about it. Ideally my new 2 front channels would be floor standing.

Again, I really have no clue where to start. I'll gladly take any advice you gurus can suggest. My budget would be around $500 for all 3 front/center speakers.

Two monitor 60's for the fronts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

And a Polk CS2 for the center:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212

I love Polk speakers. They are fantastic in their quality, and their sound fields are amazing. I've been running some Monitor 40's for my fronts for the past five years, and they've definitely proven themselves to me. If you're willing to go a bit above $500, you can go with the Monitor 70's for the fronts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208

Is that $150 price about normal for the 60s? Seems like a decent deal for what I'm looking for here.

I think they were normally $300 each. Newegg always has really good deals on Polk speakers for some reason. I've been thinking about getting another Polk PSW-10 from them so I can do 7.2 in my living room.

EDIT: It might be worth noting that your 706 does bi-amping on the speakers, where you can run the highs and lows through a separate cable. Those Polks will handle that, and it will give you a much richer sound field. Bi-amping has you using the surround back ports for the second set of front wires, but since you have no interest in 7.1, you won't be losing anything. And it's definitely worth it.

I'm running a similar receiver, the HT-RC260

Two monitor 60's for the fronts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

And a Polk CS2 for the center:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212

I love Polk speakers. They are fantastic in their quality

I was thinking of something along the same lines. I was using two Polk monitor speakers along with a Klipsch center as my entry level system for a couple of years.

I've since upgraded to an all Bowers and Wilkins front + center. Using the Polks as the surrounds. I would definitely recommend Polk though, good quality and sound.

Menelaus

Banned
EDIT: It might be worth noting that your 706 does bi-amping on the speakers, where you can run the highs and lows through a separate cable. Those Polks will handle that, and it will give you a much richer sound field. Bi-amping has you using the surround back ports for the second set of front wires, but since you have no interest in 7.1, you won't be losing anything. And it's definitely worth it.

I'm running a similar receiver, the HT-RC260

Wow this is awesome advice, I didn't even know this was an option!

Wow this is awesome advice, I didn't even know this was an option!

And it's easy to do. You have two sets of wire posts on those speakers. You simply plug one set into the surround back and one set into the fronts (designated by your manual), and enable bi-amping in your receiver options. Make sure to enable it! It doesn't do it automatically.

The nice thing about a good set of speakers is that, if you treat them right, they will last you forever. I've had my Polk system for seven years now, and they sound just as rich as the day I took them out of the box.

I know you say you love your sub, and you don't want to replace it, but if you should want to in the future, you might try this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

When I first got it, we tested it out with the Saving Private Ryan DVD. Almost tore the house down.

Menelaus

Banned
Looking at the reviews of the 60s on Newegg, I'm noticing some talk of a "break-in" period. Anything you can share on that?

Yeah, go with Polk Monitor 70s for the extra bit of low end, then a Polk CS2 for your center channel. Can't go wrong with that.

Looking at the reviews of the 60s on Newegg, I'm noticing some talk of a "break-in" period. Anything you can share on that?

Never had that on mine. The only thing I could guess is that the rubber on the woofers might have just gotten a little tense from just sitting in a warehouse not being used for so long. But again, that's just a guess.

Yeah, go with Polk Monitor 70s for the extra bit of low end, then a Polk CS2 for your center channel. Can't go wrong with that.

Indeed. The low end of the 70s will make bi-amping even more noticeable and beneficial.

Damn, the 70s are only $30 more per speaker. Thanks guys, the wife will kill me now!

Put on a movie she loves and she'll forgive you. How did my girl forgive my speakers? Moulin Rouge, that's how. Post some pics once you get them ordered and setup! Just make sure to re-do your Audyssey level setup so they balance out with your others. You don't want it to be too front-heavy.

TRios Zen

I think you'll be happy with those speakers, and bi-amping will definitely net you benefits since you don't have to worry about your surround speakers.

Now I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, but since I can't make my own yet...

Does anyone have any experience with the LSi M703's? Contemplating those bookshelf vs the RTi A9 floor standing speakers and wondered if anybody had any real world experience with either.

I *think* the LSi's are the better speaker, but the RTi have more drivers. Looking for quality reproduction in the sound stage though, so leaning towards the LSi's. Any advice?

I think you'll be happy with those speakers, and bi-amping will definitely net you benefits since you don't have to worry about your surround speakers.

Now I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, but since I can't make my own yet...

Does anyone have any experience with the LSi M703's? Contemplating those bookshelf vs the RTi A9 floor standing speakers and wondered if anybody had any real world experience with either.

I *think* the LSi's are the better speaker, but the RTi have more drivers. Looking for quality reproduction in the sound stage though, so leaning towards the LSi's. Any advice?

If you have a good enough subwoofer to compensate for the lessened lows that the bookshelfs give, then definitely go with the LSi's. Like you said, it's a much better sound field. Also, if you have a receiver that supports it, you might get some "presence speakers" that just offer a little boost to the fronts. I don't think many use this anymore, though. I think Pro Logic II Z does this, but I haven't really messed around with it at all on mine.

TRios Zen

If you have a good enough subwoofer to compensate for the lessened lows that the bookshelfs give, then definitely go with the LSi's. Like you said, it's a much better sound field. Also, if you have a receiver that supports it, you might get some "presence speakers" that just offer a little boost to the fronts. I don't think many use this anymore, though. I think Pro Logic II Z does this, but I haven't really messed around with it at all on mine.

Sub is still TBD, but pending. Probably driving this with an entry level Marantz (PM5004) and looking to use the Oppo-BDP93 as the CD/SACD player. This is for the living room TV so not concerned about driving a surround experience.

Cost of Media room system has me balking, for now. I can wait on that. Thanks for the help though, think the wife will appreciate the size of the LSi's over the RTi's as well.

Sub is still TBD, but pending. Probably driving this with an entry level Marantz (PM5004) and looking to use the Oppo-BDP93 as the CD/SACD player. This is for the living room TV so not concerned about driving a surround experience.

Cost of Media room system has me balking, for now. I can wait on that. Thanks for the help though, think the wife will appreciate the size of the LSi's over the RTi's as well.

Sure thing! The way my house is laid out, all of the spare bedrooms are too small to be a media room, so my living room IS my theater room. Since that's the case, I need to make it as clean as possible, and sound as good as possible. I'll post pictures if I can find them of the ordeal I went through to ceiling mount my Monitor 30s.

If you do find yourself in a situation where you need to wall/ceiling mount heavy speakers, I definitely suggest these mounts from Monoprice. They're built amazingly solid, they're heavy duty, and they're nice and cheap. They may seem bulky, but if you're in a place where you're mounting heavy bookshelfs, the speaker will easily hide it.

TRios Zen

Sure thing! The way my house is laid out, all of the spare bedrooms are too small to be a media room, so my living room IS my theater room. Since that's the case, I need to make it as clean as possible, and sound as good as possible. I'll post pictures if I can find them of the ordeal I went through to ceiling mount my Monitor 30s.

If you do find yourself in a situation where you need to wall/ceiling mount heavy speakers, I definitely suggest these mounts from Monoprice. They're built amazingly solid, they're heavy duty, and they're nice and cheap. They may seem bulky, but if you're in a place where you're mounting heavy bookshelfs, the speaker will easily hide it.

I got lucky - new construction so having them pre-wire the walls in media room and ceiling over pool table for speakers - but trying to put Polk Audio's in the whole house is really setting me back.

I'm screwed in my living room though - two-story house, so ceiling is too high for speakers and back of living area is the breakfast area and to the left is open to the entry way. No place for surround, so probably just buying a sound bar for the Living Room TV.

Putting my money in living room for the CD/Vinyl stereo...entry-level audiophile stuff. I'm having fun shopping now, probably not pulling the trigger till late May/early June. When I get things set up I'll find a thread on Gaf to share.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm thinking of upgrading my Monitor 70 fronts to a pair of Lsi-25s in addition to upgrading the CS2 center to a matching Lsi center.

Anyone familiar with the Polk Lsi series? I haven't heard them myself yet, but they seem like a suitable upgrade.

Thoughts?

lsi25-cherry-large.jpg

Menelaus

Banned
So, firstly, thanks for the advice in this thread. I actually recommended the Monitor 60s to a friend for his media room and they are awesome. He paired them with a BIC America F12 and it's bone rattling.

I actually decided to go in a completely different direction. After I showed my wife the 60s, she said that she wouldn't have her living room looking like a dorm room, so I had to punt. After doing a bunch of research on in-ceilings, and listening to people adamantly preach against them, I bit the bullet anyways and got 4 speakers.

For the front L/R, I'm using Polk TC80i, and for the back L/R, using Polk RC80i. I moved my sub behind my couch as part of this rewiring project, and will soon be replacing the Onkyo center channel with a CS2 series II.

So far, I have to say I am absolutely LOVING in ceiling. Virtually invisible, they allow the TV to be the focal point of the system instead of towers. The fronts have 15 degree angled woofers, so with my 12 ft ceiling, I'm getting good directional sound at my seating. Having the sound come down around you instead of directly at you, especially for the surround channels, is completely better in my humble opinion. I feel truly immersed in sound in a way I haven't before. To compare my setup to my friends with the 60s isn't really apples to apples, but I definitely enjoy mine more. It's crisper, much better mids and highs, and doesn't muddle the sound like his. I even tried his BIC sub in my new setup and it's just too much bass. I know there are people that love to feel their bones shake when watching movies, but I'm not one of them (nor is the wife).

I just wanted to update this since we have speaker threads every once in a while, and in-ceilings never really get any consideration. For me, it was really the ideal solution when I'd never given it a second thought before.

The hardware:
QqQ6K.jpg

Installed (to the outside of the can lights):
RDMjt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom