• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP MEH! PC problems when I boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Yes, the all too common PC problem thread. This time, however, my problem is that when I boot up my computer, windows gives me one of those minor errors that says:

"mfcga32.exe. has encountered an error and had to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Then, it gives me the option of whether or not I want to send an error report.

So now I must ask: What is mfcga32.exe? I ran a search for it, and found NOTHING. I went into Run>msconfig>startup, and it wasn't listed there.

What's going on? Norton Anti Virus doesn't find anything either.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
untitled153.JPG

That's what I see everytime I boot up.

alejob

Did you just installed Windows? Cause I think thats what happened to my aunts PC when I first installed XP, I reinstalled and it worked OK.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Gar! Ad-Aware and Spybot didn't remove it!

What do I do?? (Besides reinstalling windows or reformatting my HardDrive?)

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Well I'm scanning right now with a2, and so far it has found 5 malware files.

What I don't understand is -- why didn't Norton pick up these things? Hell, I'm PAYING for Norton.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Hmmmm, I hate to be a bother, but there's no where else to turn to.

I UNINSTALLED Norton Anti Virus... and now, ever since uninstalling it, that error message I described above DOESN'T GO AWAY. I keep clicking the "Don't Send" button, but the error just repeatedly pops up -- as a result of this, I can't successfully log into windows anymore. I'm completely blocked from going beyond that error message.

Now what do I do?? I really don't want to reformat..

tenchir

Badabing said:
Hmmmm, I hate to be a bother, but there's no where else to turn to.

I UNINSTALLED Norton Anti Virus... and now, ever since uninstalling it, that error message I described above DOESN'T GO AWAY. I keep clicking the "Don't Send" button, but the error just repeatedly pops up -- as a result of this, I can't successfully log into windows anymore. I'm completely blocked from going beyond that error message.

Now what do I do?? I really don't want to reformat..

Norton couldn't detect it possibly because the file isn't there? That's why there is an error about that file missing? You can use Run>MSconfig and check your Startup option and see if mfcga32.exe is part of it, if it is just uncheck it. Do it in SafeMode.

bontu

keep pressing f8 during bootup (before the windows xp splash screen shows) and u'll get a menu. pick safe mode.

then when you're at the desktop.
go to start>run
type regedit and enter
then press ctrl+f and search for all instances of mfcga32.exe
hopefully itll find something and u can delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom