• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help With Home Theater Receiver (Fix Or Replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

I recently acquired the much-praised LG OLED E6 model for 4K Gaming. So far it's working precisely as intended, though I'm going to be obsessively tinkering with the picture settings until I'm fully satisfied.

In the meantime, I've run into a bit of a problem in regards to audio. I've got a Denon Home Theater Receiver that I'm trying to get working with the TV. Basically, I've got the PS4 Pro hooked up to one HDMI port on the TV, and the Denon hooked to another. I used to have the PS4 plugged directly to the Denon, but I was advised that I would lose out on the 4K benefits if I didn't plug it directly to the TV.

As it stands, I can't figure out how to have the PS4 plugged to the TV while getting audio out through the receiver. My knowledge is limited in regards to 4K compatible equipment, but the only conclusion I can come to is that my receiver isn't ARC compatible. If that's the case, then I would like suggestions on an inexpensive receiver that will do the trick. The first result on Amazon brings up this receiver, which is totally affordable, so if that does the trick then let me know (especially if I can plug 4K devices like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S to the receiver while still getting the full 4K picture benefits as if they were plugged directly to the TV).

And I do realize the alternative is to use the optical audio port, but last I checked that would result in lower quality sound. I only have five speakers and one subwoofer, so I wouldn't get 7.1 surround sound, but that's a whole other investment I'd rather not make yet.

In any event, please help me out.

Hmm this maybe a dumb idea but you could try to extract the audio from the HDMI out itself. May not been any better sound quality than using the optical out though and would incur additional cost of the audio splitter/extractor

While the optical link may not have the ability to do Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio, it is still a very good way to connect. It won't hurt to try it out on your system, it may sound great.

If not ARC, do your receiver and TV have CEC? That might also be an option, as you could have the PS4 sending the audio signal via HDMI to your TV, which then controls your receiver vie CEC.

SOLDIER

If not ARC, do your receiver and TV have CEC? That might also be an option, as you could have the PS4 sending the audio signal via HDMI to your TV, which then controls your receiver vie CEC.

I'm not certain. What's the best way to find out?

And if the answer is yes, how do I get that going?

OP, you will definitely want to replace the receiver within the next year or so, especially given your TV and hometheater setup. That said, going the optical link route might be a satisfactory (although not ideal) short term solution.

See http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BJpas1KhhIc/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

I'll read that, but after skimming it sounds like I'm definitely going to need a replacement receiver.

Any available that are affordable? Already breaking the bank with these last few purchases.

I'm not certain. What's the best way to find out?

And if the answer is yes, how do I get that going?
Your TV probably has a setting for "HDMI-CEC" or "CEC" or something else with "control" in it. You can try turning that on (as well as on the PS4). The only thing is that I don't know if your receiver has it, but if so, the devices can at least turn each other on and off.

SOLDIER

No matter how you slice it, if you care about lossless audio quality, then you need a new receiver.

Can you recommend some? So far Amazon points to this model as a best seller, and it looks like it does what I need it to.

But I've already spent a lot these past few months. I'll have to put this off for another month or two, unless there's a really good BF sale.

Kill3r7

Can you recommend some? So far Amazon points to this model as a best seller, and it looks like it does what I need it to.

But I've already spent a lot these past few months. I'll have to put this off for another month or two, unless there's a really good BF sale.

The Denon referenced above is a fine option for what you are trying to do, it has full hdcp 2.2 support. That said, there certainly are better receivers out there but they tend to be pricey. Ultimately the higher end receivers will have better a PSU, parts, room correction software and in turn will tend to sound better. Whether that is worth it that is for you to decide.

If you are on a tight budget I would go with The Denon S510ST and upgrade in a couple of years if you find it lacking.

Kill3r7

Is that Denon going to need a compliant HDMI cable as well?

Yes, you will need HDMI 2.0 cables to be fair some HDMI 1.4 are HDCP 2.2 compatible but are not worth the risk.

I'm basically now deciding between these two:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YAO43YG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J30GXW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Sony receiver has an extra HDMI port and is cheaper, but I wanted to know the difference between the two before I decided.

And do receivers tend to go on sale on Black Friday, or is there no point waiting?

Stick with Denon from those 2 because in this day and age it is not worth buying a receiver that does not support HDCP 2.2. Also, wait until BF. Typically the lower end receivers do not go on sale much but every little bit counts so even $30-$50 off is a positive in my book. Plus it is possible that a higher end model might fall in your price range. I also recommend checking out BB for open box or their annual Magnolia clearance sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom